November 26, 2014 | 1789 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2010 8:44:00 PM More reviews by DDGattina

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had been using this with some moderate success on lashes-- no miracles, but lashes seemed thicker.

So decided to double up, and add some castor oil to the blend of oils I was using to remove eye makeup and protect my eye area while washing face with soap a la Laszlo/ Sartin ritual.

Big mistake! The castor oil made the rest of the oils really sticky. I washed twice to remove it, using lots of soap. Nevertheless, the next day I woke with breakouts over my cheeks! Acne cosmetica. I NEVER get breakouts there, but clearly the castor oil was the culprit, as it was the only change to my routine, and it never happened again when I tossed the castor oil blend.

So beware of claims that castor oil is noncomedogenic and great for oil cleansing. YMMV. I didn't break out with jojoba, with grapeseed , or with apricot oil, and they are supposed to be more comedogenic than castor oil. Not for me!

Now that bottle of castor oil, full strength, will last forever, cause I'm only using a teensy bit on lashes.

I'd give this a 0 rating for use on skin, and wouldn't buy it again, except it deserves a 3 for eyelash use.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2010 1:18:00 PM More reviews by mooneyes89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great alternative to vaseline, its a thick oil that leaves my skin soft in the morning. And only vaseline and this does that, my skin is soo dry! This stuff is amazing, and not sticky like the jelly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Adriana265

Castor Oil has worked quite well for me. I've been using it for 2 months or so now and have definately noticed a difference. I use it on my lashes. Before using this, my lashes were thin, and they weren't long at all. Very mediocre lashes basically! However, I've been applying castor oil about 5 times a week once a day to my lashes and wow...they have grown so much! Obviously I wasn't expecting my eyelashes to look like falsies or anything, I was very realistic about my results and if you aren't then I think you'll be disappointed. But I'm very happy with my results. My lashes are definately longer, to the point where I can look in the mirror and say "damn, my lashes are looking pretty good!" and they're slightly thicker too. They don't fall out as much as they used to either. Will definately continue using.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 11:05:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is one of the cult natural products from our grandmothers' shelves that some of us have forgotten about...fortunately i remembered just in time and started using it (again) after the ladies on YouTube started hunting for the eyelash growth products and i got scared at those prices....

Well. This is a natural oil, very thick, odorless (though mine smells a little, just a little, the usual 'oily' smell, a bit similar to sunflower seed oil in a way), that came in a small glass bottle without a pump, for the price of 40 swedish crowns, approx. 4 euros at one of the pharmacies in my city. very cheap therefore.

i remember my mother always telling me to use this on my eyelashes because this is how she used to condition hers during her college years, and my mom doesn't have extremely long lashes but they have always been very thick and dark. i used to occasionally put this on but over the years i forgot about it, obviously, and came back to this wonderful product several months ago.

what i can honestly say is that this oil will not give the humongousness LiLash does or other products like that, meaning it is slower because it is natural, no chemically motivated teams of researchers willing to throw in the little tube for 100 bucks behind this. It is a very good product that will first of all, condition your lashes, then help them recover, nourish their roots, make them grow thicker, darker and faster.

my lashes were always crispy and not necessarily thick, or very long. after using this and vaseline, alternating between these two products almost every night before going to bed, and it's been a real change for my lashes.

they are darker, longer, WAY thicker, and darker. the most important change, and a dramatic one i can say, happened in the thickness department. i couldn't be more satisfied, and the product is going to last me forever, it is 100% natural so almost no side effects or other inconveniences. also, i have applied it on my eyebrows and they have definitely improved- apart from the hairs growing up super fast and filling in the little gaps owned to overplucking, they are longer, thicker and shinier. no groucho marx effect whatsoever yet i got beautiful, luscious eyebrows faster than lashes- basically it worked faster for my eyebrows, i noticed the difference in about 2 weeks of daily use.

i have also tried it on my hairline, yep. i paranoically think i have a hairline similar to the one of Tyra Banks, which is not true :))), but i think my forehead is just a little bit high. sooo i decided, after reading some reviews here on MUA in which the girls said they got good results on that area, to try it myself. and boy was i surprised! my baby hair is now quite 'hair' in the real sense of the word and i couldn't be happier!

haven't regularly tried it as a hair mask or combined with other ingredients for the aforementioned purpose because i remember using it a few years back and having to wash my hair several times to completely rinse the oil off, and i quite never had the time to do this, but the first opportunity i'm getting, i'm jumping on it.

i am VERY happy with this oil. even if i had the money to spend on a Lilash, for example, i would think twice because i don't like applying something chemical that close to my eyes. i hope this review will not be taken as a negative publicity attempt at discrediting eyelash growth products, i am very thrilled that such things exist and maybe one day i will muster all my courage and try one of them. but until then, i am happy with this natural product. also, i have seen the results of some products (okay, no more names!) on some of the YouTube girls, or some beauty bloggers, and while i really love the length and thickness, i don't really like the uber-fake-curliness of the lashes, the patchiness (some lashes grow faster than the others) and the fact that they will eventually fall off when discontinuing using the product.

so, for all the girls who're fancying some eyelash growth but are not fully decided yet- try vaseline and castor oil first. you will condition your lashes very effectively and 100% naturally without having to spend a fortune. definitely recommend this oil.

31 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by JanM

Believe the hype! This product has actually worked on my fine fair wimpy eyelashes.

I bought this for its OCM properties, but I can't really get with that method of cleansing- it's the oil running down my arms that I don't like.

So what to do with 100mls of CO? I started to brush this into my eyelashes and eyebrows with a clean mascara wand every night 1 month ago (I just pour a little into my hand and squish the wand in the oil, apply, and rub the excess into my cuticles).

As previously stated on many a review for mascara, my eyelashes just can't take mascara, they are fair at the ends and very fine, and are not robust in anyway - I think that it is the removal, and whilst I am very gentle, I always loose at least 2 eyelashes per removal.

I have used Talika (both the titchy tub, and the tube with the mascara wand), and Mavala with good success, although Talika can irritate and the Mavala leaves my lashes a little crispy.

In 1 month of nightly application I have long thick well conditioned lashes, weirdly they are curlier. I am amazed. I can wear mascara if I want to, but frankly a good squeeze with the Shiseido eyelash curler and MAC phone number at the base of my lashes is sufficient to look as if I've applied several coats of Diorshow.

At around 1.50 for 100mls, this is as cheap as chips and it works.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2010 2:09:00 PM More reviews by GoodGala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a must. Such great results. I use it on my eyelashes and eyebrows and hair. It certainly has improved the quality of my hair , which is generally thin and mousy and as for my eyelashes, they are blond and invisible.... not any more. I have been using Castor oil religiously for about 3 weeks and they are darker and thicker.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2010 3:46:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

My brows were growing nicely with the use of Calosol and Folligen but after reading the reviews for Castor Oil I thought I would try it to see if it would be a cheaper alternative. Sadly within days of using this stuff my brows started to fall out and now the left brow is quite sparse! I am very, VERY gutted to say the least! I wish I never touched Castor Oil! :(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2010 11:00:00 PM More reviews by reallychelseawow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE: Got rid of my old review. This didn't work any better than coconut oil, and it gave me little zits all around my eyes. I'll stick to my coconut oil for eyelashes/brows.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2010 10:30:00 PM More reviews by JLB2005

I was a complete skeptic, too. I have long lashes, naturally, but who doesn't want more?? Besides, I am well into my 40s and I suspect my lashes are thinning a little. So after reading the MUA posts here (and rolling my eyes at some of them), I figured that I have nothing to lose. Every night, I have been appling a thin coat of CO along my upper lashes now for about 2 full months - I have only missed a day or two. After about 4 wks, I noticed a difference in the length of my lashes - maybe not the thickness, though. I suspect they are falling out less, but that is just a speculative mechanism... I tried it only once on my head, but it is really thick and gooey (not at all like olive oil, for example), so I never bothered again.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by guler

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Since i cut my hair very short and regret it :( after much research i found out that CO is the best thing to make your hair grow faster.. well i though why not give it a go got nothing 2 lose!! so been using it and it HAS definitly made my hair so at last about 2inches in only 3weeks also have been using it on my eyelashes it has made them grow a little bit and definitly made them much more thicker. I LOVE IT. if you have any questions just ask me hope i can help..by the way its my 1st time on here :D

UPDATE: Today i have been having a GOOD look at my eyelashes and guess what they have GROWN SO MUCH MORE!!! i am over the moon and also i have noticed a few more lashes too :D

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No