Castor Oil

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 4/26/2010 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Pros:
-very very cheap
-can be found everywhere
-you really see results
-easy to apply
-no scent
-clear consistency
-makes eyebrows thicker and darker
-strengthens eyelashes and makes them longer and fuller
Cons:
-takes a while to see results
-i dislike the packaging as you have to wipe off the excess when you dip a Q-tip in it. But for the results, I deal with it! :)

So far I've been using castor oil for a month and half now and I can really see the difference in my eyelashes and brows from before. My brows are noticeably darker and thicker, while my lashes are longer and stronger. If anything, I use this to help strengthen my lashes as I curl them everyday.

It does take a while to see results, but that comes with every lash grower, etc. Not mention because it is so cheap and is found everywhere, it is definitely worth trying!

I would certainly repurchase!

on 4/26/2010 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

After reading so many positive reviews about Castor Oil and in my quest to achieve longer fuller lashes I decided to purchase a bottle. I've used Tarte Multipleye which gave me no results and Talika Lipocils which I used for 6 months and enjoyed a lot. The results were gorgeous longer,
fuller lashes from the Talika. However the price tag is $40 bucks a pop so I figured I'd give Caster Oil a go. I used it for just two nights applying a very tiny amount on my lashes and broke
out in a rash all around my eyes, I woke up with my eyes swollen
and red with little bumps. I've never had an allergic reaction like this to anything...except poison
oak! It was terrible! It's been two days now and my eyes are finally getting back to normal but you can still see some of the bumps. Anyway I highly suggest doing a spot test first to make sure you're not allergic. I'm glad Castor Oil works for so many others but I will promptly be returning to my Talika Lipocils.

on 4/17/2010 6:40:00 AM

This absolutely worked for me. I have applied castor oil religously with a mascara wand for 6 weeks now and I have considerably longer lashes. Just amazing. It now looks like I am wearing mascara when I am not. My lashes, especially the bottom are much much longer, thicker and darker. It took a while to notice results, just over 4 weeks, so the key is to be patient.

I also use castor oil once a week to my hair as a treatment (half and half with avocado oil) with pretty good results. My hair is much more managable and soft but it seems to be a band aid/ temporary effect. After the next wash, my hair is not as smooth. A good trick is when washing out is to apply shampoo directly to hair before wetting it and working it through. I don't know why this works (maybe because water and oil don't mix?), but if you wet hair first you will struggle to get it out.

on 4/13/2010 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I originally got this to lengthen my eyelashes. I thought for the great price and all the rave reviews it couldn't go wrong. I've been using this every night for the past 3 weeks and it hasn't lengthened or thickened by eyelashes. It does take off stubborn eyemakeup really well.

I also tried using it on my skin that was dry and damaged from overuse of retin-a micro. My skin felt raw from using the retin-a and turned red and flaky on my forehead. The castor oil helped to soothe it and within days the dry skin patches came off easily when I washed my face.

I'll keep trying it for my eyelashes and update if anything changes.

on 4/13/2010 9:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I used a small amount applied with a cotton swab to my upper and lower lash lines every night for a week. KAPOW! I am not kidding, my lashes are very noticably longer, stronger and darker. I even put a bit on an area of my brows that I had over plucked, and it has filled in! I would highly recommend that you try this, it is dirt cheap and it really produced amazing results for me. ***** UPDATE ***** I have had to decrease my usage of the castor oil to twice weekly...my lashes were getting to be ANNOYING. I am not kidding, I wear reading glasses and they were hitting the glasses! I read about the oil cleansing, and I would not even think of trying that judging by how my lashes and brows grew! I would have to wax my face every other day! For some reason this product worked miracles for my lashes and brows. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to thicken and lengthen brows and lashes without spending a fortune.

on 3/29/2010 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Yes I use this but I wanted to post what I use this for as well as what it is being used for in this review thread which is for brows.

I honestly do not think that castor oil itself will stimulate hair growth. What I do think is that it is so emollient and nutrient packed (in comparison to any mineral oil or petrolatum products) that it does indeed *promote* rather than stimulate hair growth by protecting and maybe even strengthning so that the hair isn't prone to fall out or become so damaged it breaks off etc.... Know what I mean? But I'm in no way qualified to say for sure. But if a product is safe to use, it gives you the results you want---I say Girl go for it!

I use castor oil on my face. After I remove every speck of makeup and my face is as clean as a whistle I will use this oil as a massage. I do this every single night. The castor oil is to double check about the makeup and it also (and I can only speak from personal experience here) purges my skin and keeps it clear. I then use a scrub that can be used daily to emulsify this oil and wash off before application of moisturizer.

This oil is very thick (think maple syrup that has been in the fridge) completely odorless and completely tasteless (if you should want to taste it? :-). If you want to put this on your face as I do don't just take a dollap and slap it on your forehead. Because it's gonna stay right there sister! Pour a bit into your clean palm and dab it all over your face. Then as it warms from your skin,slowly massage. This oil is the reason I have not had blackheads for years now. Not even in the large pores I had on my nose.

I also use this on a washcloth after I bathe to rub onto my legs and arms. Try it you'll like it. It's multi-functional and it's safe. (Do a spot test before you slather yourself up with it because you just might be the only person in the world that I have ever heard have an allergic reaction to this oil LOL)

on 3/29/2010 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I'm going to give this a 3 because I've found it works at growing my eyebrows after I over-pluck and that's great. However, if it's known for hair growth, would I want to put this on my face and/or body, wouldn't it promote hair growth there also? So I won't use it anywhere but eyebrows for the moment and still on a search for a face oil. Jojoba works great for a while but then it starts clogging my pores and I have to take a break for a month or two.

I used to be a product junkie. Like, intensely. Then I began a purging phase and wanted to be a minimalist. Ultimately, I wanted not to have to use makeup. I wanted beautiful skin and hair and everything else without having to pretend. (Crazy sounding, right?) This is the best product I have found. Mainly my skin care regimen consists of a lot of different oils. I originally bought this with the intention of lash/brow growth because I wanted to see more fullness and not have to wear mascara. I wasn't really sure what else I would use this for until my room mate, who is a nautropathic med student told me alllll about the wonders of Castor oil. It is a wonderfully healing oil, ultimately. If you type castor oil in google it will tell you all about the different uses. I have not used it in pack form, yet, though. I do use it as my main oil for the OCM. At first I noticed a lot of what people think are breakouts or congestion. Really, what was happening was that it was drawing all of the impurities in my skin to the surface. And it does a right quick job for it. And it makes perfect sense, really. If your skin is a way to show what is going on in your body, then in is safe to say that any drainages or pimples or whatever skin concerns you will have are coming from within. I also use 1 drop of castor oil to 1 drop of emu oil for my facial moisturizer after icing. I've noticed less acne, more even, toned and glowing skin. I think this is what orgasm (NARS or real one) is supposed to look like ;) Body moisturizer? Half castor oil and half coconut oil. I have noticed incredible tone, evenness and cellulite reduction since using this after a shower. I also use this for boo-boos. I have this terrible habit of picking at imperfections I find on my body and this heals them pretty darn quick. Also, it's really safe for eye use. You might wake up feeling goopy in the morning after putting it on your lashes, but since it's been known to cure styes I have no fear that that irritation is doing something terrible if it accidentally gets in my eye.

I apologize for the incredibly long rant. I just feel that castor oil is so amazing, especially for non-beauty purposes. But since this site is pretty much about vanity, or as a means towards inner beauty, I thought I'd share my experience through using it.

on 3/23/2010 8:55:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Thanks for the tip MUA folks! I'm finally able to leave the house without drawing in the sparse spot in my brows they are getting thicker and soon that tiny brow bald spot (from childhood chicken pox scar) will be gone! :) yay! makes lashes thicker and longer too!

on 3/17/2010 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This stuff is amazing. I was skeptical but I decided to try it anyway. I started using this on Februrary 19th and it's now March 17th. After nearly a month I've noticed a lot of differences. I've always had long eyelashes, but this made them longer and even a bit thicker. My bottom lashes became even longer.

I used this on my brows as well and it helped to fill in bare patches. They look lovely. I'm in love.

I also have been using it on my face. At eighteen, I've been noticing light lines around my mouth (sneer lines). This concerned me. They are far less noticeable now. The tiny creases under my eyes look a bit better as well.

The only con I can really think of is that if you get it in your eyes, it does irritate them. Other than that, I'm a happy camper.

Popular Brows Products