September 1, 2014 | 2205 users online

Moisturizers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 6:04:00 PM More reviews by gymgi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff!!! My hyper pigmentation is almost gone! Been using this for about 6 months now off and on, until last several months everyday. I had started with the JM SPF 40+ in morning, but my face felt dry. So I started using JM pure argan oil in morning and at night and I am so glad I did! The elasticity under my eyes looks tighter, face looks hydrated, and my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation goes over my face soooo nicely!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2011 12:33:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE (2013-07): not used in ages, and to be honest, not missed it. Been using meadowfoam seed oil on face and (virgin) coconut oil on hair (on dry hair, left on for 1 hour before regular wash & condition). Both are cheaper, and work at least as But: definitely one (of the many, many, many) plant-derived oils that are worth trying: YMMV as ever; many like it; who knows, you might be another.

Yes, argan oil is fashionable and faddy. It's an oil. It'll moisturise. As with all oils, and anything else, YMMV. A lightweight oil, light yellow-gold colour with a slight earthy smell. Similar viscosity, texture, fluidity, feel to oils like sunflower or mineral; not as light or dry as grapeseed, nor as heavy as almond, let alone olive. Features good (in human skin terms) balance of fatty acids and high doses of antioxidants. I decanted mine into an amber glass bottle with plastic pump-tops: more practical than droppers/rubber squeezy droppers; while not completely sealed, they're airtight, vs. removing the top every time.

QUICK PROS
Does the job of moisturising, without irritation or clogging (YMMV). Good on hair. No clogging or irritation.

QUICK CONS
There are some serious rip-off merchants out there: Josie Maran the most blatant. List of sample prices at end of review. I tested out samples of some cheap ones and some expensive ones, inc. Josie Maran. Aside from slight differences in immediate smell--which fade rapidly--the results on skin and hair have been the same. Testing period: nearly 4 months (mid-July to early November).

USE ON SKIN:
Moisturises, but other (cheaper) oils work as well. If other oils haven't worked for you, worth adding to your list of things to try.
1. Used on top of rosehip seed oil, on any drier patches of skin.

2. Tested out on some minor eczema (stress, work, the usual boring causes): calmed well and moisturised. I used the oil alone, and I also used it under my usual stage 1 eczema stuff (A-Derma): works better than that cream on its own.

USE ON HAIR:
1. Pre-shampoo oil treatment: no difference in results, compared to using other oils. As it's quite a thin dry oil and I have long fine thick hair, economically unviable. Preferred oils for this: the ones that actually do something useful to hair: avocado, jojoba, olive (coconut works too, but not good on my scalp and neck). But all of these (except jojoba) are too heavy to use on my hair, cos it's fine; though fine as hair-product ingredients, in moderation. But: argan mixed with olive, jojoba, or avocado works very nicely. Also, cheaper than argan alone.

2. 1-2 drops mixed with conditioner: great: either as a pre-wash (for the condition-wash-condition method, on long hair) or when conditioning or both.

3. A tiny drop just applied to the very ends of towel-dried hair, before usual styling product. From trial and error, I've figured out that on this hair anyway that has to be the minutest of teeny droplets; any more and hair greases up. I'd tried this before with other oils, and even the lightest of those that do actually do anything to hair were too heavy and greasebally. Argan or the argan/olive mix has a better finish on my (fine) hair; lighter, finer, more fluid. Bonus: I've needed less and less de-frizz stuff afterwards. Now using none: argan alone, or the argan mix, defrizzes. I leave hair to dry naturally, and it's naturally slightly wavy with some tendencies to frizz. There's been noticeably less of that. Which means saving money on my expensive anti-frizz stuff.

THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR
Avoid being ripped off: ALL argan oil is sustainably-produced, organic, hand-crafted, and fair-trade. The trees only grow in a certain area of Morocco, protected by UNESCO biosphere mandate. The nuts are gathered and processed, and the oil produced and sold on, by Moroccan women's cooperatives (with UNESCO, EU, and SDA support). They have a global monopoly. All the bigger western companies (ex. this one) selling argan oil and argan oil-based products buy their oil from these cooperatives, c/o the intermediary of a small number of brokers and shippers. Except for a few small companies--mainly Moroccan and French + some US wholesalers--buying straight from the coops, skipping the intermediate stage and buying cheaper as more directly. In all cases: there's a markup along the way.

SOME PRICES:
In order of price per ounce. All prices are in USD: CAD tend to be higher (ex. JMO, where USD38.00 somehow works out as CAD50.00) + shipping.

Majestic Mountain Sage: $8.45/4 oz-$26.00/16 oz = $1.65-2.11 / oz

Mountain Rose Herbs: $17.00/4 oz-$49.00/16 oz = $3.06-4.25 / oz

Lotioncrafter: $9.20/1 oz-$47.60/8 oz = $5.95-9.20 / oz

Argan Oil and More: $9.99/1 oz-$54.99/8 oz = $6.87-9.99 / oz

Garden of Wisdom: $8.20/1 oz, $60.50/8 oz. = $7.56-8.20 / oz

Argana / Argan Oil Direct: $13.10/1.18 oz-$39.32/140 ml = $6.42-11.34 / oz

MUAC: $10.00/1 oz, $32.00/4.5 oz = $7.11-10.00 / oz

Watts c/o Amazon: $13.45/1 oz-$27.45/4 oz = $6.86-13.45 / oz

The Posh Peddler (who is alleged to maybe supply Josie Maran): $9.95/1 oz-$48.95/6 oz (3 x 2 oz bottles), lower prices for bulk = $8.18-9.95 / oz

Melvita: $25.00/1.7 oz = $15.00 / oz

Josie Maran: $48.00/1.7 oz = $28.80 / oz

FURTHER

125 out of 127 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2011 1:44:00 PM More reviews by malu22

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm 44 yrs old but I still get carded when I buy wine. Secret: EVOO and Argan Oil. However 9 months ago I noticed that my used to be oily/combination skin was so dry. I had deep wrinkles under my eyes that was never there in my whole life. I also noticed some sagging on both sided of my jaw and neck. I never used a moisturizer in my whole life but I got so worried because it looks like I'm aging in a lightning speed. Then I came across about EVOO from this website. I started using it as a makeup remover and moisturizer. Then I came across with Argan oil and since it absorb better than EVOO, I use the Argan oil for moisturizer. Before I used the Josie Maran brand I tried first the Watts brand from amazon. JM is less thick, no smell and more expensive than the Watts brand. But effect is the same. I have to let everbody know that there is a purge time when you start using this oil. At least 2-4 weeks. And at least 3 months of consistent use before you see the real effect. My skin is very sensitive and I break out easily. I had 3 courses of accutane before and it did not even work. During the purge time of this oils I used Benzaclin to spot treat my acne. And it helped. 3 months after I started using this oils my wrinkles disappeared. Sagging on my jaw line and neck gone. My skin was tighter, smoother and brighter. Since Watts is cheaper, that is what I use on my neck, hand and hair. JM I only use it on my face. Argan oil has a brightening effect more effective than hydroquinone. I know because I used to use Obagi ( on and off ) but I cant tolerate the Retin A so i stopped it. I found my skin care regimen now is as effective, simplier and cheaper. If anybody is interested, here it is:
DAY
1. Wash face with Boscia Clear Complexion
2.Moisturize with Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation or Josie Maran Protect Daily Sun Protection Argan Oil Infused SPF 40 if I'm going out to the sun.
3. Apply argan oil on neck.
3. Apply Makeup.

NIGHT
1. Remove eyemakeup with EVOO then let it set for about 20-30 minutes while I'm massaging EVOO to the rest of my face for about the same time. It makes all the dirt inside my pores comes out and remove any trace of even waterproof sunscreen or makeup.
2. Wipe it off with warm ( warmest you can tolerate ) washcloth.
3. Wash face with Boscia Clear complexion using clarisonic brush.
4. Rinse with tap cold water.
5. Moisturize with 7 drops of Argan oil. One drop each on forehead, nose, chin. Two drops each on cheeks and under eye.
6. Apply Argan oil on neck with upward motion.

I was supposed to try accutane again because my acne was not going away but after I started this regimen I did not have to go to the doctor anymore. Acne cleared up. I also used to use the EVOO from Costco but now I'm using the Prado de Nunez brand. I like its consistency and smell better than the one from costco. I had been using EVOO/Argan Oil for 10 months now. I also told my sister about EVOO and Argan oil. Now she doesn't use eyecream anymore because her wrinkles are gone. She only uses EVOO every other day because it breaks her out if she use it everyday. But she uses argan oil everyday.

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2011 8:41:00 AM More reviews by inkyblaine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I jumped on the bandwagon with this product and I am glad I did. I use it in the AM only and wait a few minutes before applying make up. I love the way it makes my skin feel and look. I get kind of a dewy look, which I like. I would definitely recommend at least buying the travel size and giving it a try.I only gave it a four because I dont think it has any anti aging properties, but I could be wrong??

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2011 6:03:00 PM More reviews by pinky33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Me: mild rosacea, finicky skin. I used to be oily in my teens, 20's and 30's...and thought I still was...but for the past couple years I've had flakes on my face. I chalked it up to the products I was using (Vit C, retinoids, etc) But all the SA's kept asking me if I was exfoliating and putting products for dry skin on me. I finally came to terms with the fact that my skin is dry and have been babying it more. Got a sample of this oil from Sephora and put 2 drops in my moisturizer at night and 1 in the morning and Wah-la!! No more flakes! My skin is actually really healthy looking right now. I may have to up the amoung of drops I use once winter hits. It'll be interesting to see if it will still get the job done once it gets really dry.
It hasn't caused any breakouts (but I'm not breakout prone per se) I do get irritation rashes (red bumps) but this hasn't caused any problems. Would I buy a full bottle? Probably not because it's really expensive. But I have swapped for a bottle AND they sell Argan oil at Whole Foods/Sprouts, etc. for much cheaper. (Josie Maran 4oz bottle = $96, Whole Foods/Sprouts 4oz bottle = $29.99) I've been using the no name brand 100% argan oil and my skin accepted it w/out any problems.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2011 2:57:00 PM More reviews by shepmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I mix a little of this with my Macadamia oil. I use it on my face and the ends of my hair. I love it. IIt dries quickly and does not make my face break out. I rarely break out so acne is not an issue. The macadamia oil has a slight odor but it fades. I have gone 100% natural and have stopped using chemicals on my face. I see an improvement in texture and softness of my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2011 11:24:00 PM More reviews by ralcan01

my HG moisturizer additive. i add 3 drops to my moisturizer and my skin has never felt sooo smooth!!! i've used this for a year and cannot live without it! i HIGHLY recommend it. You can use this alone however i have very undernourished skin..

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2011 1:53:00 PM More reviews by JSH812

I like this stuff a lot. I want to love it, but I just can't... in the summer I purchased Josie Maran's Argan Oil w/ SPF and LOVED the way it made my skin look, so I thought this would do the same. It really doesn't. I use it at night and I like it as a moisturizer, but I definitely prefer the SPF one for use in the morning. It does feel nice though, I'm just not sure if it's living up to the hype.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/22/2011 8:24:00 PM More reviews by janetgrace

I'm experiencing irritation when I use this on my face and not mixed in with body lotion. A very informative SA at Sephora explained that essential oils such as this can have an irritating and burning feeling if using on skin that have been applied with retinol products. Mystery solved! So buyer beware and stick with pure apricot or camelia oil for dryness at half the price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2011 12:12:00 AM More reviews by machochick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I need an extra item to get my free shipping at Sephora, so I've decided to get this. I got the mini / travel version just to try.

It feels nice on the skin, BUT I learned my lesson not to put any oils on an acne-prone skin. I got cystic acne on my chin after using this. Once I stopped, it went away.

So I only use this now for my hair, I have long hair and I need six drops to cover halfway down to the tips. It works, but not really "wow"ed by it. It's on the OK level for me. But with the price for the size, not worth it. There's other organic 100% argan oil out there for cheaper. And also, I might want to try other hair serums.

So I'll be using it until I ran out but will not repurchase.