Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

on 12/16/2008 4:25:00 PM

I was already a big fan of Volum Express, but Colossal is even better! I use Glam Black, which I believe is the darker of the two shades. At any rate, it's a very dark true black. It's definitely more volumizing than regular Volum Express or Turbo, but it's still not as dramatic as, say, CG Lash Blast. It's thin enough that I can apply several coats without much clumping, though sometimes I do have to pinch off tiny clumps from the tips. I apply this over a coat of Shiseido Mascara Base, so I can't comment on how well it holds a curl. I don't really know what the oversized brush is supposed to do -- it doesn't seem to work better than your standard mascara brush -- but I don't really mind it. My only complaint is the strong scent -- kind of like chemically flowers. But I don't notice it for very long, so no biggie. I still think Lash Blast is the best mascara I've tried to date, but this is a great mascara for daytime. Best of all, drugstores often have BOGOF Maybelline sales, so I've already stocked up!

on 12/16/2008 2:21:00 AM

This is my favorite mascara of the moment! I've tried a few mascaras from HE to D/S, and this is at the top of my list so far! It's even better than voluminous or diorshow for me. It volumizes, lengthens and fans out my lashes (which I really really like about this) without any clumps or flaking. The formula is more on the wet side which I prefer esp. since the brush is so big, unlike how diorshow (which also has a huge brush) is too dry and led me to clumps and flaking. The smell doesn't bother me at all - I barely notice it once it's on. Would I repurchase? Unless I find another mascara identical to this that could lengthen a little more, YES! In fact, I have repurchased already =)

on 12/16/2008 12:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I didn't think I liked this mascara at first, so put it aside & started using something else. A few weeks later I tried it again & found it really did make my lashes look thicker & longer. I grew to love it & have repurchased 3 tubes already (I throw out mascara very frequently). I've read several reviews complaining about the scent. It was pretty much imperceptible to me, so not an issue.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is pretty much my perfect mascara. Gives me super length and volume (I used to think L'oreal's voluminous was the queen of volumizing mascaras, but it has been de-throned by Colossal) the best I've ever gotten from a mascara. No weird clumps or spider lashes. True black color. Removes easily with my Olay Facials. Not expensive. In summary, the perfect mascara. :)

on 12/15/2008 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Grr.. The brush just slaps on mascara EVERYWHERE. Way too big to be used legally.
Pretty okay for volume, not astounding in any way, shape, or form.
The actual formula kind of smells like floor cleaner... hmm could it be a rip off.....? >.<
Makes straight lashes straighter, and curled lashes go droopy on you.
Oh and it flakes like dandruff! eew.. i know.
I really wouldn't buy this again but the product is cheap enough for some people to experiment (i got mine for 6-8$)
so good luck!

on 12/15/2008 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I tried this on a whim. (I normally used Kanebo but it's EXPENSIVE) and I'm on my third day of using it and I really like it so far. I love that it doesn't clump up my lashes. Instead, it feathers them out really nicely.
For the price, it's really good.

on 12/15/2008 4:43:00 AM

The price was awesome! I got 2 for $6 and gave one to my friend. The product is allll right. It's better than I had expected. It does give me length and volume. However, it does not hold curl. I have Asian lashes that don't hold curl in the first place. This totally flattens my curl. But it washes off really easily and I do like the color. I do love the volume and the length I get from this though. I'd probably buy it again if I can't find a better drug store mascara

on 12/14/2008 6:53:00 PM

This was...ok. I wanted to try something different, and this promised the world, so I took a chance on it. Basically, in a nutshell, it's a serviceable Mascara in that it darkens, lengthens and somewhat thickens lashes, but it's nothing special, and not anything I'd go out and buy again. It's back to my Cover Girl Volume Express for me!

I LOVE this mascara! I don't know why other reviewers are being so harsh on it. It has a great soft scent, a huge brush, and a really smooth formula. It makes my lashes look so dramatic and full. Armed with my eyelash curler and a few coats of this, my lashes are ready for a night on the town.

I think this formula is very very similar to Diorshow (the Christian Dior cult fave) and it is way cheaper.

Update: After using this for less than a month, it dried out and got super nasty. I'll never buy it again. It's too bad, because it's awesome when you first open it.

on 12/14/2008 2:58:00 PM

this works alright. nothing special.
I guess i didn't notice the so called smell,
I am not used to wearing mascara and just started a little bit ago so i've used it maybe 6 times, but no smell that I can tell...
it's okay...but does not thicken and plump my lashes