November 23, 2014 | 1563 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2008 7:19:00 AM More reviews by SheKnowsItAll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this for around $7.50 as a buy one get one 50% off from Walgreens. Since I'm on a continuous hunt for my "Can Not Live With Out" mascara I also purchased Maybellines Define-A-Lash as the 50% off purchase. I came home, and tried one on each eye. These both have entirely different wands. The Colossal has a wand similar to your stantard wand however, its fluffier and does not have a spiral shape to the bristles like most mascaras. Its just a full wand tip of symmetrical bristles, which I liked. The Define-A-Lash is one of those rubbery / plastic spikey new kind of wands, thats also very flexible. I'm not really sure how a flexible wand tip is beneficial, but thats what they have designed. So like I said, I tried one on each eye to compare and contrast. I put about 3-4 coats of each WITHOUT curling them to see if either had curl factor.

For ME: Neither had curl factor, and niether gave me fuller lashes. My lashes DID appear longer, but not one side more than the other. They both also did a nice job in separating and there was Zero clumping from either (but I find that with first use, I rarely get clumping). To be honest, there was no difference between the two mascaras as far as appearence. As for APPLICATION, the Colossal was actually easier to apply because the wand tip is stiff, unlike the Define-A-Lash that has that flimsy springy wand tip that actually bounced up and smeared a little on my face when I was applying it. So... my hunt for the "Can Not Live With Out" mascara continues.

I'll continue to use both mascaras and update this if anything changes.

UPDATE: 11/16/08
I really like this mascara. Of the two (Colossal and Define-A-Lash) I reach for the Colossal 9 times out of 10. It DOES make my lashes look fuller without looking clumping or Spidery. I really like this mascara. I cant believe its not getting better reviews but mascaras are hard to judge. We are all looking for different things. I'm taking this up from a 3 to a 5 because I really like it. Better than any other mascara I have tried for the fact that it makes my lashes look Natural and Fuller.
continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2008 3:03:00 AM More reviews by emily0628

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

oK, so I really wanted to LOVE this mascara, but........ It turns out that I couldnt bear the smell, I loved the way it gave me volume and defintion but I couldnt bear the smell it literally gave me a headache. So I will not repurchase it too bad:( but hey if you dont mind a fragrance then I would reccommend it:)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2008 2:27:00 AM More reviews by AznSensation

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wasn't expecting much from this mascara when i purchased it, as I've allowed myself to be sucked into the hype of various other products that promise magnificent results. However, this mascara has proved me wrong. It doesn't smudge, flake, or irritate my sensitive eyes. Another highlight is that it can be removed quite easily. So in closing, will i repurchase this? For now I can say yes, even though without a doubt i'll be buying whatever the next mascara is that catches my eye with it's grandiose claims.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by unseelie_fae

I like the floral scent of this mascara. I had no problems applying it (I always wipe off the brush on the edge of the tube first if I see any excess.) My lashes look very lush now! No clumping. Must not allow any drying between coats; keep working the lashes until they look just right, then stop.

OK, have been using for a couple weeks now and have experienced no flaking or smudging.

Four weeks later. Still no problems. I say this stuff rocks!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2008 10:48:00 PM More reviews by cristinalia

I am so sick of buying expensive mascaras and not getting any results! I don't think that all drug store mascaras are created equal but I think there are some out there that are just as good or better than high end mascaras. I think this mascara is great for the price. It makes my lashes nice and think and gives my lashes good volume. The smell is noticeable but it smells nice to me, almost like flowers.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2008 6:12:00 PM More reviews by FakeLashes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This mascara is pretty good, I have long lashes but I like some more volume. Maybelline The Colossal gives you that!!! The smell doesn't bother me I think it's kinda floral. You can build up several layers of this mascara and it does not give you clumpy spidery lashes. It gives me separated full lashes, just how I like them. I have this in Glam Black and the color is a nice glossy black. I would purchase again.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2008 10:48:00 AM More reviews by Sensasianx3

I was so excited when I bought this because it had received so much hype from beauty and makeup blogs everywhere. As soon as I tried it.. I was disappointed. It did volumize and lengthen but the classic black was not black enough for me. The product itself is very gooey and whenever I dip the brush in.. lots of excess product come with it. In the middle of the day.. my eyes get somewhat irritated and the smell is hardly bearable. Overall, this would be a good mascara if they made it in 2 shades darker, and made it waterproof. Probably won't be repurchasing anytime in the near future.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2008 3:07:00 AM More reviews by jaimeyusu

in a point form...:

Pros: lengthens, nice volume(better compared to LashBlast), very black color, cheap, holds curl reasonably(better than LashBlast)

Con: stays watery for some time after application, and the whole watery formula and wand shape NEEDS a precise application to achieve a nice look, and the worst of all... FLAKES LIKE CRAZY!!!
I apply it at about 9am and at about 5pm, the it starts to flake like crazy and hurt your eyes untill u HAVE to surrender. I suffered the attacks everyday until I realized the mascra was the problem.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2008 3:11:00 PM More reviews by krissynkids

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after the Too Faced mascara caused my eyes to itch and water. I was impressed by the larger wand, hits more lashes at one time. There is no noticeable smell and it does dry quickly. No smudging or flaking. The only problem was actually mentioned by another reviewer so it is an obvious design flaw. After several weeks the tube finally "exploded" on me-- I went to get some out of the tube and the neck of the tube gave away and I got a brush with a big glob of mascara. I had used the majority but was disappointed to waste the remainder. One good thing is that it is cheap enough to purchase again, which I did. So far no problem but if it happens again I will try something else.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2008 2:57:00 AM More reviews by giada234

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This mascara is awful. It flaked and irritated my eyes. I will not repurchase.