Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

on 12/8/2008 11:06:00 PM

eh... THIS MASCARA SMELLS!!!!!!! yes it bothers me. i can't even get ride of the smell after i close it up, well, obviously it's because i have it on my lashes.

it does increase the volume of my lashes which is great, but it clumps just a bit.

i would recommand this mascara only if you can stand the strange smell of it, and have long lashes (maybe it won't clump if you have nice and long lashes)

i like it.
not the best though.
i do like how there's collagen in it.
i'm sure that if the brush were different, it'd be alot better.

on 12/8/2008 1:54:00 PM

Overall this is an OK mascara. I would only repurchase this again if I forgot my mascara at home while on vacation and I had no other options. I really love the brush. I have very average lashes and this brush does wonders for them. The actual mascara is pretty decent as well. Gives good volume with just a little length on the ends. Exactly what I like for my daytime eye. The reason I am only giving this 3 lippies is because the scent of the mascara DRIVES ME NUTS! It's very chemically and nauseatingly floralish! (are those even words!?!?) I thought I would get over it but I was mistaken. I have to stand in front of a fan for a few minutes after applying to get the smell out of my nose! I might just keep the wand to use with one of the other mascaras I have lying around. For good volume and a fat brush I'll stick with my Lash Blast!

on 12/8/2008 8:34:00 AM

I've always liked cheap DS mascara's; I begrudge paying upwards of £20 for something that I know I have to replace after 3 months. I didn't realise that this was "Volum' Express" - I thought it was a brand new formulation. I assume it's based on Volum Express - I hoped it was the one with the curved brush that got DC'd in the UK, because it was fab (see the reviews). When they DC'd it I tried all the remaining V. Express formulations - the straight brush, the Turbo Boost, the WP etc but not one replaced the curved brush model as my HG. They were all rubbish. And I DO give them a chance, I'll use each one for 2 weeks before it gets renegated to the "back-up" or "if-I-lose-my-job-and-can't-afford-to-buy-make-up-at-least-i-can-use-it-as-a-last-resort" drawer. So then I went to Bourjous Clubbing (that's a whole other review) and then I saw this. Firstly, the smell doesn't bother me - I didn't even notice the smell until I read these reviews (I really should think about quitting smoking, maybe then I'd have smelt it straight away). The brush is fantastic, just the right amount of "bushiness" to it and a good size, not too small, not too big to get into the corners of the eye. The formulation is perfect too, it's not so dry that it clumps easily, and it's not thin and watery either. The brush effectively applies to every lash and every time I've used it so far (I bought it 3 days ago) I've not had ANY clumping at all. It lengthens and thickens with every coat - you can really build it up without it going clumpy, unlike Bourjous' Clubbing. I've not had any smudges even though I've had a heavy night, and it stayed put with no flakes during a 2hr bedroom olympics session lol. so far so good. I'll see how easy it is to remove tonight and will update, All in all, 4/5, and a good price, I think it was about £6.99 in the UK.
Update: Well it removes easily enough, and I slept in it last night (I know, I know, I'm bad) and there were VERY few flakies, just a bit smudged underneath - but it's not designed for wearing overnight. I reckon this will be HG now.

on 12/8/2008 2:54:00 AM

This is really good mascara. I used to use Loreal Voluminous which I really liked but it always melted off my lashes and underneath my eyes. This mascara is just as good but it stays put all day. My eyelashes seem to also have a natural curl (maybe it's the collagen?). It only takes three or four strokes and I'm out the door with dramatic black lashes!!

on 12/7/2008 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This mascara is a step above regular mascaras, it does volumize a liitle more. I was told I had beautiful eyelashes when I wore it. But that still wasn't good enought for me lol. It didn't make them as dramatic as I was hoping. This contains collagen, and I think it "may" have been improving my lashes, but I got a feeling it's all in my head.

on 12/7/2008 7:35:00 PM

I had i friend who was in love with this mascara so i decided to give it a try. It ended up being just okay. It seemed to clump my lashes together and didn't really lengthen them. By the end of the day the mascara was almost completely gone. It is not the worst i have ever had, but i think i will stick with my Almay.

on 12/7/2008 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I fell into the hype of this product. It seemed so promising, but as usual Maybelline mascaraís do not seem to agree with me.

PROS: (1) one coat will make your lashes stand out, two coats will give them a bit more thickness.

CONS: (1) Strange chemical clay like smell (2) it makes my lashes feel brittle, and makes them appear spidery (this is not even the water proof formula). (3) Gave me panda eyes by the end of the day. (4) Can only use two coats, a 3rd will make it clumpy. (5) I donít like the bright yellow and purple packaging, it looks juvenile.

I think this is the last Maybelline mascara I will try in a long time, I suspect the formula is the major culprit here.

Happy Shopping

on 12/7/2008 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Oh dear lord! Clump o' rama! I did everything I could to get this to go on smoothly, but even with a single coat I had the dreaded spider lashes. Just terrible! Gave to my daughter without saying anything and she came downstairs the next day wondering what was wrong with the mascara, so it was not just me. Circular file! MF lash couture is still my hg.

on 12/6/2008 8:18:00 PM

Excellent cheap mascara maybelline makes the best DS mascaras around. Got this in Glam Black so far I 'm feeln' it. It really opens up my eyes and fattens up my skinny lashes. Like botox for lashes.