Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

on 12/15/2008 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I tried this on a whim. (I normally used Kanebo but it's EXPENSIVE) and I'm on my third day of using it and I really like it so far. I love that it doesn't clump up my lashes. Instead, it feathers them out really nicely.
For the price, it's really good.

on 12/15/2008 4:43:00 AM

The price was awesome! I got 2 for $6 and gave one to my friend. The product is allll right. It's better than I had expected. It does give me length and volume. However, it does not hold curl. I have Asian lashes that don't hold curl in the first place. This totally flattens my curl. But it washes off really easily and I do like the color. I do love the volume and the length I get from this though. I'd probably buy it again if I can't find a better drug store mascara

on 12/14/2008 6:53:00 PM

This was...ok. I wanted to try something different, and this promised the world, so I took a chance on it. Basically, in a nutshell, it's a serviceable Mascara in that it darkens, lengthens and somewhat thickens lashes, but it's nothing special, and not anything I'd go out and buy again. It's back to my Cover Girl Volume Express for me!

I LOVE this mascara! I don't know why other reviewers are being so harsh on it. It has a great soft scent, a huge brush, and a really smooth formula. It makes my lashes look so dramatic and full. Armed with my eyelash curler and a few coats of this, my lashes are ready for a night on the town.

I think this formula is very very similar to Diorshow (the Christian Dior cult fave) and it is way cheaper.

Update: After using this for less than a month, it dried out and got super nasty. I'll never buy it again. It's too bad, because it's awesome when you first open it.

on 12/14/2008 2:58:00 PM

this works alright. nothing special.
I guess i didn't notice the so called smell,
I am not used to wearing mascara and just started a little bit ago so i've used it maybe 6 times, but no smell that I can tell...
it's okay...but does not thicken and plump my lashes

on 12/12/2008 10:30:00 AM

I didn't like the way the mascara dried & I was very upset when I realized how much this mascara flaked.

on 12/11/2008 10:10:00 PM

This mascara is very easy to wash off, smells like flowers (the collagen) and is quite nice overall.
I have had no problems with the packaging. It's been great from the start! :)
My only complaint is that I can never get the eyelashes close to my nose. The brush is too big.

on 12/11/2008 12:45:00 PM

It was between this or L'oreal's new beauty tube extensions mascara. I chose this one (because it was cheaper). :) All in all, it's decent...If you're looking for a glam eye look, I would look else where. I'm going to buy the L'Oreal stuff today and probably use this in conjunction with the colossal.
Pros-
*Doesn't leave raccoon eyes the whole day
*Doesn't bother eyes
*Doesn't clump (even after multiple coats)
*Easy to apply without getting it all over the eyelid
*Cheap
*Washes off SUPER easy with soap and water without having to lose a few lashes in the process
*Leaves lashes not feeling crispy
*Gives volume, but not mind blowing volume

Cons-
*Smells strong (but you get use to it after a few uses)
*Doesn't leave glam looking eyes which the commercial leads one to believe
*I don't see a difference between this and other volume express mascaras from maybelline so...the whole collagen thing is iffy--seems like the only contribution it makes is making it smell strongly.
*I thought the brush would be different, more...updated, but its pretty much the normal mascara wand--just a bit fatter.

on 12/11/2008 12:12:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I had high hopes for this mascara, but it's really nothing special. Its main feature is supposed to be the volume-adding factor, but it really doesn't do much in that department. I guess it's just average. It could have been advertised as any old regular mascara and I wouldn't have known the difference.

The smell of the stuff is mentioned a lot in reviews, and I have to say... it IS quite strong and reeks of collagen. It takes getting used to I guess. My nose didn't mind it too much though, I actually found myself sniffing it when I wasn't using it. Haha. I think I could sense hints of honey, but that's probably just me being odd.

A positive aspect of this mascara is its ability to separate lashes well. It wasn't TOO too clumpy and it was generally neat in the end.

If you're looking for a drugstore brand mascara worth your buck, and you're specifically looking for a product that gives volume, I'd just stick with the Cover Girl LashBlast. It's the best (in that category) I've used thus far.

on 12/10/2008 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I know the product is called Colossal volum', but the brush was WAY too huge and fat, which made it difficult to reach the smaller lashes; the smell took some getting used to (it sort of reminded me of my nasal spray for allergies ._. ), the formula was a little too wet and took some time to dry out and didnt hold the curl well. some pros, it doesn't smudge much in daily use, but i wouldn't suggest using it while working out or anything...
overall, its okay and does little for volume.
...and the epic search for the best mascara continues...