August 31, 2014 | 1046 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2008 10:48:00 AM More reviews by Sensasianx3

I was so excited when I bought this because it had received so much hype from beauty and makeup blogs everywhere. As soon as I tried it.. I was disappointed. It did volumize and lengthen but the classic black was not black enough for me. The product itself is very gooey and whenever I dip the brush in.. lots of excess product come with it. In the middle of the day.. my eyes get somewhat irritated and the smell is hardly bearable. Overall, this would be a good mascara if they made it in 2 shades darker, and made it waterproof. Probably won't be repurchasing anytime in the near future.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2008 3:07:00 AM More reviews by jaimeyusu

in a point form...:

Pros: lengthens, nice volume(better compared to LashBlast), very black color, cheap, holds curl reasonably(better than LashBlast)

Con: stays watery for some time after application, and the whole watery formula and wand shape NEEDS a precise application to achieve a nice look, and the worst of all... FLAKES LIKE CRAZY!!!
I apply it at about 9am and at about 5pm, the it starts to flake like crazy and hurt your eyes untill u HAVE to surrender. I suffered the attacks everyday until I realized the mascra was the problem.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2008 3:11:00 PM More reviews by krissynkids

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after the Too Faced mascara caused my eyes to itch and water. I was impressed by the larger wand, hits more lashes at one time. There is no noticeable smell and it does dry quickly. No smudging or flaking. The only problem was actually mentioned by another reviewer so it is an obvious design flaw. After several weeks the tube finally "exploded" on me-- I went to get some out of the tube and the neck of the tube gave away and I got a brush with a big glob of mascara. I had used the majority but was disappointed to waste the remainder. One good thing is that it is cheap enough to purchase again, which I did. So far no problem but if it happens again I will try something else.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2008 2:57:00 AM More reviews by giada234

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This mascara is awful. It flaked and irritated my eyes. I will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by jc3379

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

O-M-G. okay, so, I just bought this product today.. I already had my makeup off for the day, but after reading the reviews here, I rushed to open the package and see what this was all about.
I have naturally nice long thick lashes, I thought to myself, 'why spend $25 bucks every time, when DS mascara will do basically the same thing.' so I check out the mascaras at walgreens, and I see the x9 Volume ad. SURELY this stuff must be awesome.
WRONG! After reading all the reviews, I couldn't wait until tomorrow, so I try it for myself.
Result: Heinous. Hideous.
I didn't even pay attention to the smell, all I noticed was the creepy daddy long legs look of which my eyelashes took shape after the first swipe.
Okay. That was only one swipe, let's try this again.
Swipe two, three, four... my eyelashes weren't getting any thicker, only more spidery and crusty looking. GROSS.
This is the first DS mascara I've tried in about 15 years and I will NEVER TRY IT AGAIN! Yech.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2008 10:02:00 AM More reviews by catmarg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Awful. You have to wipe off the brush to get a smooth application. The mascara is wet and easily smudges. The tube finally "exploded" on me-- I went to get some out of the tube and the neck of the tube gave away and i got a brush with a big glob of mascara. yuck. the covergirl one in the fat orange tube is better for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2008 10:44:00 PM More reviews by fifi_kitten

wow...this mascara is love! first of all, let me comment on the smell. when i got it, i was fully expecting to open it up and smell some overwhelming, rancid, funky smell. to my surprise, its just roses people! the way the reviews sound, you'd think it smelled like rotting cheese or something. i love the smell of roses, but even if you don't, its really not that offensive. it does linger for a little, but its really not that bad. now, on to the actual mascara. i'll admit, when i first got it and tried it, i hated it. the first few times i used it, it was just too wet. it ended up sticking all my lashes together. however, i decided to stick it out and use it for at least a month. and, to my surprise, it got better...way better. about a week after opening it is when i starts to get amazing. this builds my lashes so well that (and i normally hate when people use this phrase) i look like have some falsies on. this is no exageration. it seperates each and every lash so well. with just one coat, my lashes look incredibly thicker, and with two, goodbye falsies. it washes off super easily too and doesn't flake during the day. i didn't have a problem with it drying out fast either. i've had it about 3 months and its just now starting to get too dry to use. for now, i'm satisfied with calling this my HG. it blows lash blast out of the water. all i can say is give it a try...i absolutely hated it when i first used it, but now every other mascara i try pales in comparison.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2008 1:49:00 AM More reviews by meme1000

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This mascara smells terrible. The brush is just too big for my tiny face. It does result in huge lashes. However after a few hours, it begins to flake. I have gotten better mascara from Avon for a buck 99.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2008 1:19:00 AM More reviews by vlj1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am going to be honest. This is the BEST DRUGSTORE mascara that I have ever used in my life!! I dont know why there are some negative reviews here. I used to use the define a lash and xxl. I have tried many drugstore mascaras and this is the best hands down! I bought this in glam black and it is perfect. I have always been searching for the fake, false lash, dramatic look and finally I have it with the colassal mascara. I was so surprised that my eyelashes actually look like false ones! I use two coats for an even more dramatic finished look. They are so much thicker and longer. Beautiful full eye lashes!!! My other mascara that I use is Dior Iconic. Overall, this is the best drugstore mascara I have used!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2008 9:50:00 PM More reviews by kspeller

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm a 2000 Calorie faithful and I thought this stuff was pretty close. It's not DiorShow, but not a bad substitute.

I usually have issues with mascara smudging, but not with this one. It's a little slick and it takes a lot of coats to get the look I want, but still not smudging, which is great.

**Edit** This stuff went crazy on me! It started flaking and smudging like no other mascara ever has. Awful. Don't know why it started doing this after a few weeks, but I won't be purchasing this again!