Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

on 12/22/2008 12:14:00 AM

Very clumpy and it flaked alot, smearing under my eyes.

on 12/21/2008 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

The only good thing about this product was the pretty tube it came in and the fact that the mascara stayed on the lashes.

It dried my lashes out severely, clumped horribly, basically looked completely unnatural. Not to mention that it FLAKED badly under my eyes!!! I have NEVER in my life had such a bad mascara before.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This mascara was such a disappointment.... It clumped my lashes together and when it gets dry, it flaked a lot through out the day. This was not for me… I like the smell though (I'm a rose freak)

on 12/21/2008 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I got this in Glam Black and I love it. I can definitely see more volume in my lashes. Slight scent but nothing compared to Diorshow. Why do they have to add scent to mascara? I would buy this again but maybe they could come up with better packaging? Bright yellow? I guess it would make it easier to find in a sea of black tubes that I carry around.

on 12/21/2008 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Gives a false lash effect without looking too clumpy or flaking. Lasts all day and smells like honey!

Great chunky brush for easy application.

* After 2 months of use it has started to flake - noooooooooooooooo!!

on 12/21/2008 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This mascara has quite a deep black colour, but the formula is not quite right as it is slightly thin and this together with the design of the brush makes for a bit of an uneven, clumpy lash look. My lashes are long anyway but this did not really do much in the way of keeping a curl and defining the lashes. It does have quite a strong honey-like smell too which doesn't bother me but I would not want to repurchase this as it doesn't really flatter the lashes.

on 12/20/2008 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I did a side by side comparison of Lash Blast and Colossal. I have straight, thin, short Asian lashes. I have been using both off and on (rotating between each) for the past month.

Lash Blast-more defined, separated lashes. The bristles of the comb minimized clumps, and the formula wears longer. No smears even with the regular, non-waterproof version. Longer, thicker lashes. But I don't think it's the super-dramatic mascara (at least on thin/short lashes) that others have found-lengthens and adds some (but not a lot) of volume with definition, separation, and holds a curl well.

Colossal Volume-clumpier, but more dramatic lashes. Has a strong scent-but i don't mind it. I did a side by side comparison and the eye with the Colossal mascara had noticeably thicker lashes. Not as much as 9 times-no way, but definitely fatter, more voluminous lashes than the other eye with Lash Blast. Did not smear on my oily eyelids either, and like Lash Blast-does not irritate my sensitive eyes and contact lenses. In terms of length, I would say Colossal gave me a bit more length but noticeably more volume. Colossal's formula is much thicker-(I am not talking about the wand difference which you can read below), so it can get clumpier and there are times when you need to tissue off the wand because so much of the thick formula deposits on the brush.

For eyes with sparse/short/thin lashes that are straight-I would recommend curling those lashes, and using Colossal over another lengthening base. (Thus, you get much more volume via Colossal, and length from your base mascara). Use a lash comb if you are going to use more than one coat-since the Colossal can clump and "stick" your lashes together-but with a lash comb, I found I had fairly (not perfectly) separated lashes with much more thickness, and a little bit of length. With a lengthening base-my eyelashes were significantly fuller and longer.

Or for those with average or even long/thick lashes-using Colossal with a lash comb, and perhaps a lengthening base can give you an almost "false lash effect." My friend has long lashes and she almost looks like shes wearing extensions on her longest lashes, although she has complained that it can smear on the lower lash line. It has never smeared on me-but maybe it depends on how oily your eyelids are (mine are oily though), your activity (if you work out in it-I am not sure, I dont work out with make up on), and how thickly/many coats you apply. I have found that I wait between using my eye cream (I have oily lids but want to prevent any aging, and deal with any dark circles)-and putting on mascara to keep mascara from smearing.

If you want separated, defined lashes that are fuller and slightly longer, and have decent long lashes to begin with (maybe your lashes are long but thin, or very blonde, or you hate clumps and are looking for separated, defined lashes)-then Lash Blast is probably better.

The Colossal Formula is much thicker-and both brushes are huge. But the Lash Blast is particularly difficult to manipulate on lower lashes and inner corners for smaller eyes (use a small wand if needed, like Maybelline Lash Discovery). However, the Lash Blast is a great multipurpose mascara-for thickening, a little lengthening, good separation and declumping, and curl. The Colossal Volume is for thickness, curl, but a clumpier, albeit more dramatic look. The Lash Blast brush was a bit difficult for me to use-and the huge size of both (but particularly of the Lash Blast) is hard to carry in an evening purse/clutch.

I have read two beauty blogs and the authors differed-one love LB and the other preferred Colossal. Try both-they are often on sale at CVS, Walgreens, and other discount stores-and see which formula works for you. To be honest-I think both mascaras are over-hyped via advertising, particularly the Lash Blast-but when you want a dramatic, inexpensive mascara and dont want to shell out $24.00 or more on DiorShow and other prestige brands for mascara that only lasts 3 months-both are good,strong choices-and I also recommend L'oreal Voluminous (clumps, but good volume), Max Factor 2000 Calorie, and checking out Rimmel mascaras. Since mascaras are not supposed to last forever (you're asking for an eye infection!) try different ones, but you do not need to spent over $24-$30.00 every 3 months to get noticeably longer, fuller lashes-even for lashes that aren't full or long like mine. You can get dramatic results by trial and error-and using a lash curler & comb. I have heard great things about Shiseido Mascara base also.

on 12/19/2008 10:55:00 PM

In comparison to my other Maybelline XXL Curl Power and my L'Oreal Voluminous, its pretty decent. 9x the volum, i think not, but good volume, yes. Two coats of this stuff, and my lashes were clump free and very pretty. I have noticed the smell other reviewers have mentioned, but it doesnt really bother me that much. I got this in glam black, and the color is really a dark black. It doesnt lengthen like I would like it to, but then again its not really a lengthing mascara, so i really cant complain.
I purchased this mascara in a package, along with a two colored shadow duo, a waterproof liquid eyeliner, and a expert eyes makeup remover all in a nice clear makeup bag from maybelline, all for 9.98 at my local walmart. Yes ALL of that. I was STOKED!
But for the mascara alone, its about $7-$8, so i really think I got a good deal.
Overall, its an awesome alternative for a mascara that gives beautiful volume, a little length, and clump free lashes.
Recommend & will I repurchase? Yes!

on 12/18/2008 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I think this is decent. i still prefer my 2000 calorie, but i find this to be better than the three other DS mascaras I have tried in the past year. All I really need is my Longcils bonzca, and I am in business, that stuff is the real deal. Doesn't even matter which mascara i use it with. I think the yellow purple big ass packaging just suckered me right in! im dumb......

on 12/18/2008 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I purchased this on my sister's recommendation and love this mascara. I have long lashes so this lengthens them even more in addition to adding volume (not 9 times but it does a pretty good job). The only drawback is it makes me lashes hard so I'm going to add a mascara conditioner before applying this product. Thus far, the best DS mascara I have found and was a Loreal Voluminous fan for years.