Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 1/31/2004 11:07:00 AM

I was so excited to begin using this product because I love Hope in a Jar, but this crap made me break out with tiny, red, itchy bumps. I looked like I played in Poison Ivy. And a Philosophy SA recommended this for my sensitive skin! So, not only am I out for $50, because I bought other stuff I'm now afraid to use, I can't leave my house for a few days because I look scary. Just ask my kids!

on 1/28/2004 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I can't say enough about this cleanser. For years I have been buying cleansers designed for oily skin not realizing just how harsh they were. My skin was producing more oil just to compensate for the stripping during cleansing. After three bottles of Purity, I don't think I'll ever go back to another cleanser. It takes off all makeup (I tested with toner to make sure there were no traces of makeup left) and leaves skin so soft without feeling stripped. It is pricey at $20 for 8 oz. but Sephora just got a new kit with Purity and Hope in a Jar for $24! That's a great deal if you use Hope in a Jar (which I do and love).

on 1/27/2004 4:19:00 PM

Is there really a difference between cheap drugstore cleansers and say, more expensive, mid-range cleansers like Philosophy's Purity? In a word: YES. This stuff rocks. It takes off all my m/u (even that heavy duty Illuminare spackle I've been wearing), including eye m/u in one fell swoop. It doesn't really foam which was a hard selling point for me, but I took a leap and I'm never looking back. I haven't used a cleanser I've loved this much since I was in that Sage cult a few years ago. I frankly like the smell- sorta mineral spirits/wood oil smell, and my skin is behaving soo nicely lately, and it's because of this. Screw you Oil of Olay cleansing cloths. PS you will be surprised how economical this cleanser is- I've used maybe 1/10th of my 8 oz. container ($20) in a month. Plus, less co-pays to the derm! All around savings!

on 1/27/2004 2:11:00 AM

I have combination skin and am prone to breakouts on my chin area with drier patches on my cheeks in cold weather. I was not impressed with this cleanser. I had heard a lot of hype about it and thought I would try it. I thought that it was very pricey and did not do any more for my skin than regular drugstore type cleansers. It left my skin feeling tight and I had more breakouts than usual.

on 1/26/2004 12:18:00 AM

This is my holy grail AM cleanser -- perfect for the morning, when you don't need to remove makeup but still want a fresh, clean canvas to start the day. I throw a little on a Wonder Cloth every day in the shower, and love the way my skin feels afterward. Clean, but not tight. Soft, but not oily. Good stuff.

on 1/25/2004 7:48:00 PM

I've been using this for about 5 months now. A little goes a long way. I've never been one to buy expensive cleansers but I had a gift certificate so what the heck. I'm happy I got this. This takes away all my makeup and leaves my skin nice and soft. Contrary to other reviewers I like the way this smells. It smells very clean and a little like eucalyptus. Definate repurchase.

on 1/22/2004 11:03:00 AM

I didn't like the smell of this stuff at all, and it was very difficult to lather. It felt more like a very thin lotion than a cleanser, and it didn't lather that much more than a lotion! I received this as a gift along with other philosophy products, and I would not purchase this. It is also very expensive. It did make my face feel nice, but it's no different than an ordinary cleanser.

on 1/19/2004 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Not bad at all! I was skeptical since the other "high end" cleanser I tried (Aveda line) made me break out. I got the sample size as part of a Christmas present. My skin has been a bit crazy this winter, combination and itchy. This cleanser made my face feel squeaky clean without that tight dry feeling after washing -- and since I can cut out toner, I think it's helped my skin calm down. I've been using this with the Hope in a Jar and my skin's really evened out and stopped breaking out. Wonderful results, now if only it weren't so expensive...**UPDATE** 5/21/04: With the warmer weather (and my therefore oilier skin) this no longer rinses clean :( One lippie off because this is great for when my skin is drier, but apparently can't handle when it's oilier.

on 1/16/2004 11:27:00 AM

So far this cleanser has worked better for me then any that I have tried. And believe me, I have tried a lot. This cleanser removes absolutely every trace of makeup, including eyemakeup, from my skin. I have a problem with blackheads and this has greatly helped to get rid of those too, something I cannot say about any other cleanser. Cetaphil cleanser does not even compare to this as someone else suggested. Cetaphil does not remove my makeup at all, without a couple of washings and it did nothing for my blackheads. I would definitely buy this again.

on 1/16/2004 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is my holy grail cleanser. I have rosacea, so my skin is somewhat sensitive. This takes off my makeup, leaves my skin soft but not filmy, and cleans off oil but does not strip. My fiance likes it too-- so it's a winner both ways!

I noticed a MUAer said that this was "just like cetaphil"-- I disagree. I used cetaphil for quite a while, and though it does an adequate job of cleansing in the morning, when (hopefully!) you don't have makeup on, it does not have enough detergent properties to cleanse away makeup. Though cetaphil IS significantly cheaper, I consider this a superior product simply because I don't have to remove my eyemakeup before cleansing.