July 30, 2014 | 1886 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by jc3379

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

O-M-G. okay, so, I just bought this product today.. I already had my makeup off for the day, but after reading the reviews here, I rushed to open the package and see what this was all about.
I have naturally nice long thick lashes, I thought to myself, 'why spend $25 bucks every time, when DS mascara will do basically the same thing.' so I check out the mascaras at walgreens, and I see the x9 Volume ad. SURELY this stuff must be awesome.
WRONG! After reading all the reviews, I couldn't wait until tomorrow, so I try it for myself.
Result: Heinous. Hideous.
I didn't even pay attention to the smell, all I noticed was the creepy daddy long legs look of which my eyelashes took shape after the first swipe.
Okay. That was only one swipe, let's try this again.
Swipe two, three, four... my eyelashes weren't getting any thicker, only more spidery and crusty looking. GROSS.
This is the first DS mascara I've tried in about 15 years and I will NEVER TRY IT AGAIN! Yech.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2008 10:02:00 AM More reviews by catmarg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Awful. You have to wipe off the brush to get a smooth application. The mascara is wet and easily smudges. The tube finally "exploded" on me-- I went to get some out of the tube and the neck of the tube gave away and i got a brush with a big glob of mascara. yuck. the covergirl one in the fat orange tube is better for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2008 10:44:00 PM More reviews by fifi_kitten

wow...this mascara is love! first of all, let me comment on the smell. when i got it, i was fully expecting to open it up and smell some overwhelming, rancid, funky smell. to my surprise, its just roses people! the way the reviews sound, you'd think it smelled like rotting cheese or something. i love the smell of roses, but even if you don't, its really not that offensive. it does linger for a little, but its really not that bad. now, on to the actual mascara. i'll admit, when i first got it and tried it, i hated it. the first few times i used it, it was just too wet. it ended up sticking all my lashes together. however, i decided to stick it out and use it for at least a month. and, to my surprise, it got better...way better. about a week after opening it is when i starts to get amazing. this builds my lashes so well that (and i normally hate when people use this phrase) i look like have some falsies on. this is no exageration. it seperates each and every lash so well. with just one coat, my lashes look incredibly thicker, and with two, goodbye falsies. it washes off super easily too and doesn't flake during the day. i didn't have a problem with it drying out fast either. i've had it about 3 months and its just now starting to get too dry to use. for now, i'm satisfied with calling this my HG. it blows lash blast out of the water. all i can say is give it a try...i absolutely hated it when i first used it, but now every other mascara i try pales in comparison.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2008 1:49:00 AM More reviews by meme1000

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This mascara smells terrible. The brush is just too big for my tiny face. It does result in huge lashes. However after a few hours, it begins to flake. I have gotten better mascara from Avon for a buck 99.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2008 1:19:00 AM More reviews by vlj1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am going to be honest. This is the BEST DRUGSTORE mascara that I have ever used in my life!! I dont know why there are some negative reviews here. I used to use the define a lash and xxl. I have tried many drugstore mascaras and this is the best hands down! I bought this in glam black and it is perfect. I have always been searching for the fake, false lash, dramatic look and finally I have it with the colassal mascara. I was so surprised that my eyelashes actually look like false ones! I use two coats for an even more dramatic finished look. They are so much thicker and longer. Beautiful full eye lashes!!! My other mascara that I use is Dior Iconic. Overall, this is the best drugstore mascara I have used!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2008 9:50:00 PM More reviews by kspeller

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm a 2000 Calorie faithful and I thought this stuff was pretty close. It's not DiorShow, but not a bad substitute.

I usually have issues with mascara smudging, but not with this one. It's a little slick and it takes a lot of coats to get the look I want, but still not smudging, which is great.

**Edit** This stuff went crazy on me! It started flaking and smudging like no other mascara ever has. Awful. Don't know why it started doing this after a few weeks, but I won't be purchasing this again!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2008 4:28:00 PM More reviews by gruveechik

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

See this is what I get for purchasing before checking MUA.

Bleh. Doesn't give me the promised volume at all. Disappointing actually. Tried it once and immediately gave it away. Not horrible, just boring. The only good thing is the ingredient list, which didn't seem too bad, no parabens or SLS.. which is why I haven't gone back to CoverGirl Volume Exact yet.

I'm going back to the old standby of Almay Triple Effect - when I find it without the Retinyl Palmitate.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/21/2008 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Futurewifey2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It melts almost too quickly!! At first it was okay and it worked pretty well. However, two weeks into using it, it melted!!! I was very disappointed. The collagen in it made it very slippery and just gross. It seems to work for a few weeks but then you have to get rid of it! Really not the best to buy.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2008 2:23:00 PM More reviews by nezinka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Ok...so I bought Lash blast and Colossal around the same time...First time I tried Colossal it clumped sooo badly that I threw it back in my makeup bag in disgust and warned most of my friends to not fall for it.
Anyway, I like Lash Blast but it smudges on my upper lid when applying which I absolutely hate as I apply my mascara last...it always look like I have black eyeliner when I don't.This is the sole reason I ma not going back to Lash Blast...
My lashes are relatively thick so pretty much any decent mascara works ok but you know you always looking for those extaordinary ones:)
My lash blast is drying out and I've been resisting the urge to purchase a new mascara as I know I have at least 2-3 that I don't use like the Colossal...So it's been like good 2-3 months that it hasn't been used so I guess the mascara dried a little.
I used it the other day- my lashes weren't primed with a drier mascara or curled. Well...I was amazed!!! It separated my lashes instantly, added tons of volume and some lenghth. Second coat made it even better- I couldn't believe it. It does give great volume and there was no clumping.
Why 3lippies...damn this mascara flakes like crazy! The formula dries so fast that (guess that's why there is no clumping) but within the hour you can see all the black under your eyes and if you go on and don't take care of it, in 4-5 hours you will look like a zombie that hasnt slept for centuries and hence has ginermous hideous black circles around its eyes.
I trluly believe this masara has great potential if they take care of the flaking.
My next one will be the new Neutrogena mascara:)

UDPDATE: well, my colossal mascara is now officially in the trash. I was at a store tonight and I looked myself in the mirror, I had a severe case of racoon eyes.Although, it gives volume and length, at the end of the day all of that is under your eyes and it ain't pretty!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2008 5:38:00 PM More reviews by ryden_gorey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

When I picked this up and smelled it I instantly recognized this mascara. I was given this mascara before it was released to the market for testing. At least, I believe it's this mascara. It has the same smell, it was for same makeup brand, and it gives me the same results.
It has a very strong rose smell, which I actually like. I remember telling the people who gave me sample to test that I didn't think others would like it. I can recognize it's a rose smell, but I knew others wouldn't and many people seem to hate when their makeup has a smell. Not to worry, the smell goes away when it dries.
I really like the way it works. It's gives you thick, long lashes, period. It would be perfect except that it does flake (not enough to annoy me) and I don't like the brush. It seems like it's a thicker version of the typical mascara brush. I have small eyes, and it makes it harder to apply. The newer, spiky plastic-y brushes work so much better for me. You'll have to apply it carefully because of the big clumsy brush, but it'll give you full, thick doll lashes.
It does flake some.