September 30, 2014 | 1023 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2008 11:49:00 AM More reviews by colleenwin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best mascara I have ever used!! I have tried everyone under the sun from super expensive to drug store brands and this one ROCKS! Lengthens great, thickens great and stays on great even though I use the non-waterproof. Really makes my lashes look full. Doesn't fell heavy and holds up! LOVE IT!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2008 9:11:00 PM More reviews by jjj3663

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just like other reviewers, the smell seems a bit odd. I just end up holding my breath while applying.

I like the bristle, the plastic seems to grip the product well, and it's big. But It's not an all in one product, it does not really lengthen; but does a great job at volumizing the lashes. Combined with the zig-zag motion, the product sticks on, and it's smudge proof. So I just use another lengthening product with fiber to lengthen.

EDIT: Although it gives nice volume. But it's not at all water-resistant/proof. A bit of water droplet or snow will cause black smudges. So, I lippie down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2008 2:53:00 AM More reviews by muffingrl

After trying the popular LashBlast, I decided to give The Colossal a shot. In my opinion, the effects are comparable. The LashBlast lengthens more than it thickens and the Colossal thickens more than it lengthens. I mostly look for volumizing mascaras so I do like the Colossal. The scent doesn't really bother me too much, but i wish it didn't linger on my lashes long after it has dried. Its not a bad smell, but I prefer my mascaras to be scentless. It doesn't hold curl as much as I would like, but it doesn't make my stubborn lashes fall, so thats a plus. One of the best things about this mascara is the design of the packaging and the wand. I actually prefer this wand over the LashBlast's rubber one, I feel like it coats my lashes more evenly and gets every single lash.
I actually got this in a holiday 2-pack special for 5.99 at Target. So I got two tubes for the price of one. I don't think I'll repurchase because I think 2 tubes is plenty.

EDIT: I don't know what I was thinking when I first reviewed this item, but I have now bumped it up to the 5 lippies it deserves. I know I said I probably wouldn't repurchase, but I have recently and I've fallen in love with it. I don't know if its the constant stream of crappy mascaras I've been trying lately, but I've really come to appreciate the drama and volume that this gives me. This is one of my top 5 favorite mascaras next to Loreal Carbon Black Telescopic, Loreal Carbon Black Voluminous, Stila Major Major Lash and Clinique Lower Lash Mascara. This is a great mascara, go get it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2008 9:46:00 PM More reviews by tracita

The smell is a bit odd but it doesn't bother me...I don't like this on it's own but over Shiseido's Mascara Base, it's not too bad...flakes a little but nothing major...I like the brush...wouldn't buy again--too many others to try.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2008 7:07:00 PM More reviews by apirro

My new favorite mascara. Make my lashes long and full. love love love

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2008 3:47:00 PM More reviews by DodgerDasher

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love Maybelline mascara, Great Lash and Volum' Express are my standbys. So I thought I'd try this, and what do you know, I love it! It gives my lashes tons of volume and length without flaking or getting clumpy. I simply love this stuff.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2008 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Chickadee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mascara has a sparser brush, which I like, but the formula is clumpy and it gives you spider lashes!! Would definitely not purchase ever again!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/30/2008 9:54:00 AM More reviews by jenuine531

First it clumped my lashes together and then it turned out flaky. Suckiest mascara I've tried to date.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2008 7:19:00 AM More reviews by SheKnowsItAll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this for around $7.50 as a buy one get one 50% off from Walgreens. Since I'm on a continuous hunt for my "Can Not Live With Out" mascara I also purchased Maybellines Define-A-Lash as the 50% off purchase. I came home, and tried one on each eye. These both have entirely different wands. The Colossal has a wand similar to your stantard wand however, its fluffier and does not have a spiral shape to the bristles like most mascaras. Its just a full wand tip of symmetrical bristles, which I liked. The Define-A-Lash is one of those rubbery / plastic spikey new kind of wands, thats also very flexible. I'm not really sure how a flexible wand tip is beneficial, but thats what they have designed. So like I said, I tried one on each eye to compare and contrast. I put about 3-4 coats of each WITHOUT curling them to see if either had curl factor.

For ME: Neither had curl factor, and niether gave me fuller lashes. My lashes DID appear longer, but not one side more than the other. They both also did a nice job in separating and there was Zero clumping from either (but I find that with first use, I rarely get clumping). To be honest, there was no difference between the two mascaras as far as appearence. As for APPLICATION, the Colossal was actually easier to apply because the wand tip is stiff, unlike the Define-A-Lash that has that flimsy springy wand tip that actually bounced up and smeared a little on my face when I was applying it. So... my hunt for the "Can Not Live With Out" mascara continues.

I'll continue to use both mascaras and update this if anything changes.

UPDATE: 11/16/08
I really like this mascara. Of the two (Colossal and Define-A-Lash) I reach for the Colossal 9 times out of 10. It DOES make my lashes look fuller without looking clumping or Spidery. I really like this mascara. I cant believe its not getting better reviews but mascaras are hard to judge. We are all looking for different things. I'm taking this up from a 3 to a 5 because I really like it. Better than any other mascara I have tried for the fact that it makes my lashes look Natural and Fuller.
continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2008 3:03:00 AM More reviews by emily0628

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

oK, so I really wanted to LOVE this mascara, but........ It turns out that I couldnt bear the smell, I loved the way it gave me volume and defintion but I couldnt bear the smell it literally gave me a headache. So I will not repurchase it too bad:( but hey if you dont mind a fragrance then I would reccommend it:)