October 25, 2014 | 1686 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2008 7:01:00 PM More reviews by LJBNY

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

A colossal mistake! Reviews here are mixed so I bought it on sale.This mascara is gooey, clumpy and spikes my lashes. Like another reviewer reports, the circle/scraper on the tube popped off so it has become useless. This was badly constructed by Maybelline. Plus, it smells weird, so why bother?

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2008 12:34:00 PM More reviews by productjunkie15

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ewww! The smell of this instantly gave me a headache and burned my eyes and nose. It smells exactly like Flonase nasal spray - a weird, rose smell. If you only apply one coat, it's okay. However, this mascara does not build well on itself. Once dry, if you try to apply a second coat = clump city! It also flakes, which is so frustrating! I've tried it with the XXL primer - that doesn't help a bit = more clumps! Will never re-purchase, I prefer Lash Blast as far as d/s mascaras go.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2008 7:35:00 PM More reviews by ksheats

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE THIS MASCARA!!! I had Lash Blast for a while, and noticed that it flaked horribly. It also didn't have a significant impact on the length or thickness of my lashes. To top it off, my lashes felt SO brittle afterwards.
Not so with the Colossal Mascara. My lashes look AMAZING. I did have to work quickly with the coating, curling, and combing so it wouldn't dry before I was finished (and thus get clumpy), but it's SO worth it. Plus, it smells SO GOOD! The only reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 was because I have yet to try any higher end (AKA can't get it in Target) mascaras, so I'm a little wary of giving it a 5 if I haven't done my research. A 4.5 would be better suited for this...alas, there is no half lipstick on here. :)

BUY THIS MASCARA!!! YOU WILL LOVE IT!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2008 6:38:00 PM More reviews by Ehrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just bought this today and I must say, I do believe I've found my absolutely favourite mascara. GOOD JOB MAYBELLINE! It lengthens, defines and volumizes. It does have a weird honey-like scent in the beginning but it doesn't last too long. Overall, this is one of the best I've tried, and I've tried a few: Volum' Express Turbo Boost (Maybelline), Make It Big (mark), Great Lash (Maybelline), Defincils (Lancome) and a few others. All I have to say is...this one beats them all out. Yes, even the Lancome. Definitely worth a try! Thank you Maybelline.
UPDATE: I removed 2 lippies because this mascara is HARD to remove with makeup remover AND some of your eyelashes get removed in the process. Also it started making my lashes really crunchy. :|

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2008 6:41:00 PM More reviews by karix116

this mascara lengthens and volumizes...too bad it clumps after 1 coat

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2008 1:48:00 PM More reviews by mrvtime

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I MAY buy this again if I can't find my Lash Expansion. I love the way it goes on my lashes, but it tends to 'bind' them together. It doesn't give you time to separate them before having to apply another coat (you can't let this dry between coats or it will not go on right and thus causes flakiness). I always use an eyelash curler first, and this does make my lashes longer and it looks pretty good if I can avoid the lashes sticking together (my contacts don't like flakes). It does cause my lashes to lose some curl when applying it, but I would consider buying it again it if I can't get the Lash Expansion anymore... but I'd have to use something else on my thin,almost-not-there bottom lashes - this is too 'runny' for them.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2008 1:47:00 PM More reviews by rachie78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I found nothing particularly special about this product, the only reason that I wanted to buy it is because the marketing sucked me in! It's always front and center of the mascaras in drug stores. Anyways, it does have a weird, chemical smell that I have not encountered before with any other mascara. It STILL smelled after it was ON my eyelashes until it dried. I haven't had any problems with it clumping or smudging, which is the one plus. I found nothing wrong with the packaging. Did not make my lashes look longer or fuller than my usual mascaras: (DiorShow mascara, or Bourjois Volume Clubbing Mascara). I would not buy it again because of the smell and the effect was nothing spectacular.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2008 11:10:00 PM More reviews by lexymiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was on such a good sale few days ago that I had to try it. I normally use Maybellineís Full and Soft mascara (and itís my HG), so I thought this one should be decent too. And it is. It is a good, drug store brand. It does provide volume to my lashes, doesnít clump on me, but at the same time, it does flake after just a few hours. It is definitely more dramatic than my Full and Soft, so if you are after that look, it is good. I didnít care for the wand, as it is too thick and thus a little hard to handle. Overall though, a pretty decent buy for the price. I think I will stick to Full and Soft for the most part though, as it looks more natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2008 8:52:00 PM More reviews by lena1two3

I really like this mascara, I usually use two mascaras for my daily look, but now I only have to use one...quite a plus. The only downside is that it smells pretty bad, but other than that it's great.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2008 4:16:00 PM More reviews by Buttercup89

I was really hoping I'd like this product...but no such luck. It clumps up my lashes and I can't get them to look nice, even if I use my metal eyelash comb to try and separate them. I definitely won't repurchase. Hopefully those considering buying this will have better luck!

(EDIT) I kind of changed my mind on this after trying it out a couple more times; if I use my eyelash curler before applying, and then apply multiple coats while the mascara is still wet and THEN use my eyelash comb, it doesn't look clumpy and my eyelashes do look really thick. Once it dries, though, I have to curl my eyelashes again, otherwise they just stick straight out. This also flakes pretty badly if I comb through my lashes when they're dry, and it doesn't curl my stubborn corner lashes (but I think the only mascara that does is Chanel Exceptionnel). I guess overall, my lashes do look really thick after using this, but I'd prefer to not have to do so much work to get them that way.