MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

on 1/28/2008 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I don't like lots of makeup on my face so when I tried out it out I liked the color but hated putting it on with the sponge applicator. It was just too heavy. Using a big brush did the trick for me for applying just the right amount of coverage without looking like I have make up on. The only problem I had with my compact was that it broke way too easily and quickly. I wasn't mistreating it or anything but watching months worth of expensive makeup get thrown into the trash because it was getting all over my purse was not pleasant at all. If I do buy it again, I'll be leaving it at home.

I have been using this product for about 4 years. (NC 25-30)It works very well for me.It has great coverage and lasts all day. I have dry skin so i just apply a good moisturizer first and i apply the powder with a brush. Please ladies throw your sponge applicator away! Using the sponge excessively contaminates the powder, then causes breakouts.Sponge hold lots of bacteria and there is no really good way of cleaning those either.

on 1/25/2008 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Overall this is a pretty good powder foundation... for a few hours.

Pros:
Nice light to medium coverage. (my face looked totally even the first days I used it, before it made me break out)
Good Color selection
Lasts a good 5 hours+ without fading
Price

Cons:
After 4-5 hours, your face will look very oily and the powder will look like it was floating on your face. Maybe its the fact that my face is kind of oily, or maybe, the powder just isn't absorbent enough.

It made me break out like crazy after 2 weeks of usage.
It gives the face a yucky shine after a while.

/edit:
I wont rebuy this. It makes me break out every single time I put it on.

on 1/25/2008 2:48:00 AM

I like Studio Fix a lot. it's nice when it melts into my skin after spraying fix+ and its perfect in summer. In winter my skin gets dry and it can look completely wrong with this powder (too matte)

on 1/22/2008 6:49:00 PM

This completely covers the redness in my cheeks from Rosacea. It does so without causing any irritation. I find that it can be a bit drying when I use it without first applying my DDF oil-free moisturizer. It stays on all day - even in my t-zone and the color is dead-on for me (NW-15).

on 1/22/2008 12:44:00 PM

Back when I was in high school several years ago, MAC was really the only "cool" option for girls who were branching out of drugstore cosmetics. There was no Sephora in Canada yet, and the other makeup lines at department stores catered to an older clientele (and were generally also more expensive). Makeup lines aimed at younger people, such as Cargo or Urban Decay was still years away...

So like other girls at my school, MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation was the only thing I knew.
I was a C4 before they offered the NC range.... now I'm a NC35.
Sooo... because it was the only thing I knew, i thought it was NORMAL that by midday, the powder would somehow end up "floating" on top of my face oil, especially around the nose area, making it look unnatural and greasy. I thought it was NORMAL that the powder just kind of sat on top of my skin and didn't really meld, making a mess and coming off on clothing or anything else that my face touched.

Fast foward several years later. Sephora has now come to Canada and I'm also able to try and afford other makeup lines. I no longer use MAC Studio Fix (though I'm still a lover of most other things MAC, like the brushes, fluidlines and blushes). I've now switched to MUFE Duo Mat, which I find is better for my oily skin, doesn't require frequent blotting throughout the day, and melds or is absorbed better into my skin, looking more natural.

Studio Fix PROS: very good colour selection, affordable in comparison to some other powder foundations (esp for the amount of product that you get), nice packaging
CONS: leaves my nose an oily mess by midday, doesn't "meld" into skin as naturally, comes off on clothing

on 1/20/2008 11:28:00 AM

Advantages:
1. Good packaging for when your on the go and need a quick touch up!
Disadvantages:
1. Too orange and cakey looking!
2. Doesn't control shine and gets too oily after a few hours of wear!
3. By the end of the day, it is all mostly gone!
4. Too expensive!

on 1/19/2008 4:35:00 PM

Pros: Fast and easy application (I use a kabuki brush), GREAT coverage, velvety finish, travel-friendly packaging, great color selection (I am NC40), and reasonable price ($25).

Cons: Accentuates pores and dryness. Comes off easily, especially in oily t-zone area. But most of all, it drove my skin crazy! I don't know what ingredient caused it but my face was pretty clear before I used it... Then I had a huge breakout, which cleared up after a week of not using it. It also gave me red, painful, itchy, dry patches, which also cleared up after I stopped using the studio fix. I'm really disappointed because this foundation looked so pretty and was so fast to apply! Does anyone know if there is another foundation with the same coverage and finish, but is not irritating for dry, sensitive skin? Please get back to me if you do!

on 1/18/2008 9:41:00 PM

I have been using this (NC 40 for summer, and NC 30 or 35 for winter) for over 5 years. Love it ! Covers extremely well, not drying, stays on forever. I got at least 10 women I know into it, and now they would not use any other foundation/powder either !

on 1/18/2008 4:37:00 PM

This is a great powder foundation. For around 6 years now I've been pretty faithful to Lancome's Dual Finish with a couple unsuccessful drugstore detours here and there. My main problems are finding a shade pale enough for my skintone and getting the coverage I need. Since the drugstore foundations didn't work and I was tired of paying big bucks for Dual Finish I went to the MAC counter. The SA matched me up with NC15 and I can't tell if it's exactly my skintone but it's pretty darn close. The coverage is fantastic, far better than Dual Finish. I'm also acne-prone and thank goodness this doesn't break me out. A word of warning though - if you apply this with a sponge it will be very heavy. Unless you plan on making a TV appearance, doing a photoshoot, or have a very ruddy/uneven skintone you don't need to use a sponge. I apply this lightly with a large brush and I get perfect coverage this way. I LOVE that this is a moderately priced, quality foundation. I used to have to apply quite a bit of Dual Finish to get the coverage I get from a couple light sweeps of Studio Fix which saves me even more money since this lasts longer. I'll happily continue to repurchase.