October 24, 2014 | 1717 users online

Powder - MAC - Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2007 8:14:00 AM More reviews by lemfloyd

I really like this foundation as it's very quick and easy to use. I use this during the day, before work because it's easy to use very early in the morning. I have combination skin so gives the right consistency to keep the shine at bay! I have seen a lot of reviews that state the sponge is not good as an applicator but I actually like the application I get from the sponge as long as I keep it clean and swap it regularly.
One of my favourite products!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/19/2007 4:32:00 PM More reviews by bauer32301

This review is for Studio Fix Powder Foundation. It looked good for 1 hour on me, but failed to control any oil. After many blottings later, it looked cakey and dry. I went from too greasy to really dry looking. It also makes my face feel drier. I've used a few types of powder foundation and have never felt that before. This would be good for a photo shoot, but not all day wear, unless you have normal skin (not dry or oily). I am returning this to MAC.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2007 More reviews by MakeupManifesto

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love love love my studiofix. I have been using this product for over 10 years! I love the great coverage (really hides my rosacea redness that I am always embarrassed about). I wear a C3 and this is great for touch-ups or whenever I am in a hurry (love powder foundation for this reason). When I have the extra time in the morning I do not wear this, I wear my regular liquid foundation + loose powder. I like C3 for the yellowness, it reminds me of T. LeClerc Banane. It makes my skin glow and my green eyes pop. It also looks great in photos. I have never had breakout problems because I never wear this more than 3x a week, in order to allow my skin to breathe. Enjoy :o)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2007 3:25:00 AM More reviews by laurenmt

I hate this powder...I feel like I'm suffocating in this...great coverage though!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2007 4:29:00 AM More reviews by najia01

i've used this product 5 years ago and i didn't fancy it. i heard that they've improved the formula so i went and bought one. i like this one better--the powder is finer and the shade matched exactly. the price is reasonable as well. i apply it with a brush. i find that if i apply with the sponge, it will look cakey.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2007 12:54:00 PM More reviews by rogernewman

I like this powder. The color is a perfect match. It goes on a little light when I first apply, but looks perfect in 30-60 minutes. Because the color matches so perfectly, it doesn't make me look like I have on makeup at all. My skin is just even.

This will not last all day, so I use pressed powder (Iman-Clay Medium) for touch-ups. But, I didn't expect that from a powder. I took one lippie off because despite MAC's claims, this will not give you full coverage. My acne blemishes are not covered in any way with this product. I also can't spot concealer over my blemishes because you can see the spots through the powder.

I am using this in C7. (NC45 made me look too yellow.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2007 8:45:00 AM More reviews by jhadiq

OK, after using this product for several more weeks, I have completely re-written my review of it. I am currently a devotee of EL DoubleWear for it's staying power and "nautral" looking coverage. However, I purchased Studio Fix because I wanted a powder foundation to deal with the current restrictions on liquids in carry-ons for air travel. As a final test, and because I am a freak this way, I recently applied SF on one half of my face and EL Doublewear on the other (moisturizer and MAC Prep & Prime SPF 50 underneath) Here are some of my conclusions:

1) I have oily skin, and MAC SF does seem to control my oilies better, other things being equal. This is a matte finish, and matte truly does mean matte. I could see that someone with less oily skin than me might not appreciate this quality, since it could make your skin look "flat".

2) Coverage and appearance are about the same - both give about the same level of coverage and look about the same in terms of "natural"-ness

3) EL DW seems to be a better match for my skin, but I don't fault the foundation - I am sure if I returned to the MAC counter, the MA could give me a better match.

4) Even though I have oily skin, there definitely is something drying and tight-feeling about the powder. I would NOT recommend this foundation for someone with dry skin, and I would not use this myself without a good moisturizer and primer underneath.

5) Although the initial application of SF is very obviously powdery, it does seem to eventually melt into my skin and become more natural and less matte-looking.

6) Best way for me to apply this is with the MAC 190 foundation brush to airbrush out my huge pores with little paint-strokes. I've used my Chanel, Sephora, and Paula Dorf foundation brushes, but the MAC 190 is superior (I think it is the taper and softness of the bristles that make the difference) I've also tried my MAC 187, but it isn't as good to buff the product in.

7) It does seem to oxidize a little, but not more than any other decent foundation or powder I've used. I'd say that's not a problem for this product.

8) It *is* a good foundation, but I still do prefer fluids. I may try the SF fluid next to see if it can replace my more expensive DW at some point.

9) Transfer-resistant this product is NOT! It comes off pretty easily, which can be annoying.

All-in-all, I am pleased with this foundation for travel. For home, though, I am sticking to DW for now. However, this is certainly a worthy substitute. I would also note that I have not broken out at all from this product, after having used it more-or-less every day (some days I skip foundation) since I first bought it.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2007 9:10:00 PM More reviews by thewomanwarrior

When I first purchased this, the Mac Makeup Artist gave me NC 35 even though I am actually a Mac NC 30 (Asian with yellow undertones). It looked okay in Macy's but when I went into natural daylight, my face was a pink greyish color! It didn't look natural! I wanted to give studio fix another shot so I purchased it in C 35 which has more yellow undertones. This was a better match for me; however, my face was an oil slick in just a few hours. I have combination skin so I think I might wear a primer with this powder foundation. I highly suggest that you throw away the puff and use a makeup brush to put on studio fix. I love Mac for their eyeshadows and lipglosses but their foundations aren't really impressing me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2007 9:04:00 PM More reviews by chickeeduck

I am still not fully satisfied with it, and yet I have repurchased this item several times. It provides mid to full coverage, depending on method of application. You can use the sponge it comes with, and apply it dry, which provides full coverage, or wet, for a more sheer coverage.
I personally prefer to use a kabuki brush to apply.
I have oliy skin and find it is a bit drying. During the winter it highlights patches of dryness in my skin. During the summer, I need to blot, or it gets a plastic sheen to it.
Color-wise however, I find it a perfect match, and the color and price are the reason I keep going back to it, but it really is not my HG.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2007 10:33:00 PM More reviews by ccoquia

I don't like using foundation b/c I feel like my skin cannot breathe and loose powder doesn't provide enough coverage. I think this product - foundation/loose powder combo - is great!! Depending how liberally you apply, you can get light to moderate coverage or full coverage. I have pretty normal skin color and texture-wise - my biggest problem is just a little oil by the end of the day and some light redness - and Studio Fix provides just the right coverage to fix those flaws. Has a nice matte finish and pretty much stays on the entire day. **TIP: I also use Too Faced Absolutely Invisible Powder (A MUST HAVE!!) on top of Studio Fix and I NEVER get oily. Therefore I never have to re-apply either of the powders. Sweet!!