Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 11/21/2004 11:06:00 PM

I purchased Purity Made Simple as part of Philosophy's Jump Starters kit. I've been using the the products for about a month now, and have certainly noticed positive changes in my skin's clarity, texture, and overall appearance. I definitely enjoy using Purity Made Simple as part of the "program". It's a very gentle lotion-type cleanser, which doesn't irritate my skin at all. My skin is normal/combination and somewhat sensitive. It has no artificial frangrance, which may put some people off in this age of overly-perfumed products, but I actually find the smell of Purity Made Simple to be quite clean, natural, and pleasant. Most importantly, it does what it promises by removing any traces of dirt, makeup, and oil without the need for a toner or astringent after washing. Having said that, it may be a bit too gentle for very oily skin.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This product works great, but its just not worth the price for me.
I have oily/combination skin, but I don't have many breakouts, so I can use whatever.
But if you're reading the reviews and you have similar skin, breakout cycles to some of the these review, I say go for it.
Personally I'm happy with my neutrogena deep clean cream cleanser

on 11/10/2004 6:34:00 AM

Would I buy it again? Maybe. It cleans very deep down, but it's a bit drying, very drying, smells funny at first (but you do get used to it easily), and it's expensive,,so in the meantime I've been looking for something else.

on 11/2/2004 12:18:00 AM

For $20, this didn't impress me. It wasn't horrible but def. not worth the price.

on 11/1/2004 2:21:00 PM

This is quite expensive for cleanser IMO but it is the only one that gets the job done for me.
I have oily/comb skin, acne prone so anything too harsh will aggravate my skin. This cleanser is gentle and infused with essential oils. It smells really good and the best part is it takes everything off my face at the end of the day.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have been using this product since the spring of 1999 when I moved to Orlando and my skin was extremely broken out while I was getting used to the water here. Not only has it been a great cleanser, but it removes makeup amazingly and doesn't require that a toner be used afterwards. For me, this has been the all time best product, and I have tried so many I couldn't even begin to start.

on 10/23/2004 8:37:00 AM

The best overall cleanser I have ever used. I have used many many cleansers from drug store to doctor's office. This emulsifies makeup and leaves skin feeling squeaky clean but not overdried.

on 10/18/2004 6:09:00 AM

One of the best non-foaming cleansers I've ever used. It is great for people who find foaming cleansers too harsh but not into wipe-off cleansing milks either. It cleanses well and leaves the skin feeling smooth...great buy since a bottle lasts for ages!!

on 10/17/2004 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This product is NOT for us with truly oily skin. It did not lather at all which is fine if it would work, but it didn't take off anything the first time I "washed" my face with this. Everytime I used it I would have to apply it 3 times just to clean my face, and after that my face felt pretty good. But it's just not worth having to wash it 3 times!!!!! This stuff is terrible for oily skin even though the "purity" thing makes it sound like it would work. I will stick to my Shiseido Purness Cleansing Foam which is wonderful and you only need a tiny bit of cleanser to get everything off your face at the end of the day.

on 10/16/2004 11:40:00 AM

Feb '09 and I'm editing my review from 4 years ago. They did something to this product to change it, and I hate it now. Their website says all they did was change a cleansing agent, and explains a major change in the ingredient label as an error, that the old label was incorrect. I guess I'll take that on faith since I've always trusted this company, but meanwhile the new bottles of purity with the new ingredient list stink, they don't have the same wonderful smell I use to love. The cleanser is now way too liquidy (is that a word?) and wow does it dry out my face really something awful. Such a disappointment.

original review of the original product from 2004;

There are plenty of reviews describing how this cleanser works so I won't get too into it. I'm generally not a fan of non-foaming cleansers but I love this. I've used it off and on ever since it was introduced a long time ago. As I've aged and my concerns have shifted away from just being oily or breaking out, I've been using this more. It's fairly gentle and does a great job of removing makeup and cleansing. Dry gals might find this a little too potent. Oily gals might not think it's potent enough, but after years of trying to dry out my oily skin only to cause more problems, I think this is a great gentle cleanser if you are slightly oily or combo. The smell is not for everyone, but I am very sensitive to fragrance in products and the smell of this does not bother me. They now sell this at sephora in a nice $10 travel size. I highly recommend trying one of Philosophy's peels, and some of them come with a sample bottle of Purity as well.