April 20, 2014 | 930 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2010 10:57:00 PM More reviews by m1ch3ll13c

This primer sucks! It makes me super oily. My makeup oxidizes faster! It's expensive and you can't return it. I can think of so many other MAC products I can spend that money on...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2010 5:45:00 PM More reviews by sodivine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a very oily skinned girl. I have come to terms with this fact over the years, though I am still always looking for the primer to hold off the oil. My top two are: MUFE primers- not the HD ones (love them, but got bored I guess) and Philosophy The Present (amazing, flawless skin even without makeup on top but still shines through on the nose).
I have come to accept that my t zone especially will never be oil-free. I have learnt to deal with the fact that my makeup will slide away throughout the day.
UNTIL I was reading through reviews of MAC primers on my way to the store. I wanted to indulge and splurge just a bit. I don't know why I but I have never wanted to use MAC skincare. I am of the impression that theirs is just not up to scratch, so I never even bothered exploring it. But the reviews on this seemed promising, so I thought *one more experiment won't hurt*. That one more became the last one. Officially.
Apply this in the morning 10am, MUFE HD on top, blush, brows etc....At 11pm, I don't want to wash it off cos it still looks so darn amazing and flawless. I do mean flawless. I have not blotted *once* today. Or anyday since I started using it. I keep going to check in the mirror, amazed that it's all still intact. I kid you not. I am in *love*: with this, and with my face. Absolutely no oilies. This is despite my very oily skin PLUS Mufe HD which everyone says turns greasy on oily skin. Not me! And it's all because of MAC Prep+Prime SPF50. And my blush has not eroded away.

I don't regularly do reviews, but this was soooo worthy of one. I do realise that YMMV, but in my opinion, having tried all manner of primers out there, this is not one to be missed! I'm buying backups JUST IN CASE!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 8:41:00 AM More reviews by gabbster123

Love love love this! Its soo much better than the other prep+prime primer I tried. The other one left my skin oily and these ittle shimmer particles that were very obvious. This blows the other primer out of the water! First off right now I have an oily forehead,nose and chin but my cheeks are normal to dry. Since this is like a lotion. it hydrated my skin and smooths out my skin and filled my pores. it leaves my face matte and loking fresh. I notice my foundation looks very fresh for most of the day and slightly dewy by the time I take it off which is 5PM. My cons on this product is the price and the packaging. other than that its a winner! Might be HG

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2010 12:22:00 PM More reviews by veggienurse

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this stuff. It's pricey so I only use it for weekends and not for everyday wear, but I wish I could afford to! My makeup looks and stays looking fantastic all night. I have oily skin (mostly in the t zone) so I try to keep it light on those areas and I don't have any issues with oil or acne. So I guess it just depends person to person how you and this product will react. Will buy again and again!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2010 11:34:00 AM More reviews by soleil91

Worst primer ever, UGH!
It's super oily, so if you have oily skin, don't even consider it.
It's very heavy and rich- and takes forever to absorb into the skin.
After I put this on, i look oilier than ever, and feel like i have some kind of a heavy oil mask on my face all day.
I say opt for something lighter and more effective.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2010 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Starlyte

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I love this product! I have combo skin (oily T-zone and somewhat dry cheeks) and everything breaks me out. This does a splendid job of keeping my face matte all day and my makeup looking fresh. I do notice that when I use it after a moisturizer it doesn't work as well and I get slightly oily. So, I normally skip my moisturizer in the morning. It's a thick lotion consistency but absorbs really quick.
Mattifying, has spf 50, and does NOT break me out (major plus).
My only complaint is that it's $30 for 1 floz and the packaging is not that great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2010 10:15:00 PM More reviews by amanda23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Two words: cystic acne. Very unimpressed. It might make my makeup look great but cystic acne is the worst. Edit: Ok, I gave this product another try and apparently the cystic acne was unrelated because it is now a staple in my makeup routine. Cannot live without this product. Makes my makeup look fantastic and lasts all day, plus has SPF.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2010 8:33:00 AM More reviews by firework_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'd been using this for a couple of years because of the SPF 50. I still have some left in my last little bottle but I'm finding it hard to use up the remainder.
My main problem with it was how oily it left me, especially around my t-zone. I'd apply after my moisturiser had sunk in & leave it for a good 15-20 minutes before applying my foundation. Even then, I needed to use a blotting sheet to remove some of the greasy residue it left behind. That helped a little, but as the day wore on I'd get oily all over again. Blotting 3 or 4 times was a regular occurrence. Not something I was overly thrilled about, considering this product is supposed to help mattify. Because of that, my foundation would get that cakey look, especially on the tip of my nose & my chin.
However, it worked fine on my cheeks where my skin is normal.
One or two of the bottles I've used also seemed to separate. There would be an oily substance that seeped out each time I dispensed some of the product. No amount of shaking seemed to remedy this.
I've since moved on to Shiseido's Anessa Perfect Smooth sunscreen. This is also SPF 50 but makes a much better base & I only have to blot once or twice throughout the day.
If you have normal or dry skin, this would probably work well for you. Since my t-zone isn't, it was rather hit & miss for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 6:03:00 PM More reviews by westinflorida

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE PanPan70's review of this and wouldn't change a thing that she wrote. The only thing I'd like to add it that if you are so bothered by the packaging do not, I repeat DO NOT try the Prep+Prime Skin as an alternative. You will not get anything close to this product. I noticed that younger reviewers are not as pleased with this product so maybe it's something more suitable for us "old ladies" with drier skin. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2010 2:15:00 PM More reviews by PanPan70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this product. SPF50 with 16.1% of that being zinc oxide which is a very stable form of broad spectrum sunscreen. It's micronized so you don't get a white cast on your skin after rubbing it in although I do detect a brightening effect on my NW25 skin that is very flattering. It hasn't broken me out which is a big plus. It's very, very thick which I think is a side effect of all the zinc oxide in it. I've found it best to apply to slightly damp skin so that you can manipulate it without rubbing your skin too much. The packaging is awful with this giant cap and little tube. It's almost as if they were going to make the tube a lot bigger and then changed their mind but never got around to changing the size of the cap. I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to get the last bit of the product out. I don't notice wrinkle smoothing or pore minimization but I didn't buy it for that. Likey!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No