Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

3.4

Water (aqua), Cyclomethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Lysozyme, Sodium Citrate, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (lavender), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 4/6/2007 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really love how my oily skin look after applying this. My make up last longer and I even skip my usual make up regimen which is : moisturizer , my super thick liquid foundation and loose powder , Because I know my make up would melt by tea time. However...., Now I just apply toner , This product and MAC studio perfect foundation. It gives a semi matte finish, saves my time and last whole day...Strangely it seems to work well with powder foundation than with liquid foundation.my face sweat a lot when using this with lancome Maquimat liquid foundation

on 4/3/2007 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've been wanting to try this for a while and got a free sample of this with my last philosophy order. YIKES! Broke out in bumps every place I applied it- red bumps on the bridge of my nose, cheeks, and forehead. Not attractive. I use many other philosophy products everyday. I will stick with DHC velvet Skin Coat from now on.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I tried this product before Philosophy started calling it "clear foundation" or primers became a product category. I recently tried this again as I got a sample, and didn't like this as either "clear foundation" or as a primer.

The texture is thick and very hard to control during application. I remember hearing the head of the company say on QVC that this product needs a few minutes to set, and, then, voila, perfect skin. Well, the product sure needed a few minutes to set, but, then, nothing. If this made a difference in the way my skin looked, I missed it.

As a primer, for my skin needs there I products I like better (Laura Geller's Spackle). For all its thickness, I didn't find this filled in pores or fine lines. Powder foundation application on top was cakey and very difficult to blend. Liquid foundation was slightly better, but there wasn't much slip.

The icing on the cake was the breakouts. That's when I stopped experimenting.

I like many Philsophy products, but I think maybe the hype associated with them has outgrown the product's ability to live up to the claims.

on 3/23/2007 9:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I wanted to try a primer, so since I used Philsophy's skincare line, I thought I'd give it a try. I will say that my skin DOES look flawless when I use this; however, it is the most drying product I've ever used! The day I use it, my skin is flaking like crazy. Allergic? I suppose so, but I've never had a problem with any of their products. I gave it to my sister, and she's had no issues, so, go figure. Anyway, it really does work, just not for me.

on 3/17/2007 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I like this because it makes my skin feel smooth. I have a shiny forehead and it doesn't help that, but I haven't found anything that does. I put a lot of stuff on my face in the morning, like eye cream, BP, SPF, so I feel like this "holds it all on" and kind of seals my face from the environment. I may be completely wrong though! I don't feel like it does anything for my pores, and I don't have fine lines to speak of yet.

on 3/14/2007 11:18:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is one of the best primers I've ever had (and I've tried a lot). However, you have to figure out the right amount, for me a pea-size drop works out best. And the product needs definitely more than the recommended two minutes to set. I let my moisturizer set for ten minutes, then give the present another five before applying foundation - flawless perfection.

on 3/10/2007 1:39:00 AM

As of right now, this is my HG of primers. I first tried it about 4 months ago after watching a demonstration on a popular home shopping network. I applied just a dime sized amount after my moisturizer and I let it sit for the recommended 2 minutes. I have normal/dry skin. I then applied my MAC SFF NW30, and WOW!! I loved the way my foundation went on smoothly, and my face looked flawless. My makeup wore ALL day/night and I do not touch up at all. It works well with other brands of MU, and with various types of foundation (liquid, cremestick, minerals). My face did not feel tacky, unlike LG Spackle did, and Smashbox Photo Primer just slid everything off my face w/in hours. This primer not only paves your skin down for a smooth finish, but it also helps to lock in your moisturizer. The tube packaging is nice, and the cost is worth it as it will last forever. Also great for days you don't want to wear MU (unfortunately I never have those days as I love MU too much). The only downfall I would have to say is the 2 minute wait, sometimes I am rushed for time and 2 minutes can seem like forever, but it is so worth the wait! I just gave my SIL a sample and she's already thanking me for turning her on to this product, and she has VERY dry skin. Highly recommended!!

on 3/3/2007 4:57:00 PM

I received this in a swap as I like the idea of a foundation primer, but wanted to try it first. I am so glad I didn't buy this! It felt sticky on my skin and strangely gritty. I may have had a bad batch, but it was almost like rubbing an exfoliator on my skin. I left the product on my face for two minutes as the directions state, applied my foundation, but then I had to immediately wash my makeup off. It made my foundation turn instantly orange and very patchy. I tried this under mineral makeup and it was a lot better. I noticed that it did leave my face very matte, which was great, but I can't use it with my normal makeup. Will not be buying.

on 2/28/2007 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

It looked great the first hour or so but then it melted into my pores and made them look huge. No matter how little I used my face felt greasy and waxy and I couldn't wait to go home and wash it off. Worse yet it made me itchy and then I broke out with acne.

on 2/21/2007 4:29:00 AM

I've only used this product a handful of times.
PROS: It provided nice smooth makeup application (I used MAC tinted moisturizer)
And (the best part) kept my face blissfully matte even throughout a day long wedding.

CONS: It made my face feel dull alone, it dulled out my moisturizer underneath it felt like.
I did find I broke out a bit after each use, which is a big con and it has since been in the back of my drawer.

It does feel amazing on the back of your hand, and after all of the pro reviews i'm reading I think tomorrow I'll give it another try. But if it makes me feel broken out afterwards I think I'm going to try a MAC primer, which also got rave reviews. Update: I wore it again and the next day I broke out a bit. It's taken four days to get back to normal.
continued >>