September 18, 2014 | 1745 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Frost - Vex

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2004 12:46:00 PM More reviews by Elankat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this color. I'm a PPP and my eyes are dark blue/green with gold in them. I like a shadow that brings out the blue, so neutrals with a hint of green really work. This is perfect for me since it is a silvery green-gray with just enough pink in it to go well with pink undertones in the skin.

I didn't find it too pale or silvery at all. The pigment is nice and intense. It goes on smoothly and blends well. It goes well with so many other MAC shadow colors. I usually use it on the brow and lid pair it with Coquette in the crease and use Femme Noir as an eyeliner most of the time.

If you have the right coloring for this, Vex is one of the best.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2004 3:59:00 PM More reviews by dior_duchess

Eh...this was kind of a clunker. Despite the depth of the color, I found the consistency and undertones unbearably bad. I *really* don't like eyeshadows that appear one way in the pan, then blow your mind by turning pink or green when you put it on.

Vex happens to be one of those. It seems light gray. Then you put it on and it shimmers green and pink. This *gravely* confused me. I'm used to pale peaches/pinks/browns, and here I was dealing with a real trickster. I suppose if you can pull this off, it would look good.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2004 1:53:00 PM More reviews by Posh_Patricia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's a great colour. Looks grey on the pan but then it has green and pink reflections. Maybe I haven't found the perfect colour combination yet so for now I'll use it as a browbone highlighter cos it's they way it looks better on me!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2004 3:13:00 AM More reviews by Eleven

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this because a colleague at work wears this and it looks sensational and we have similar skin tone but different hair colour. It’s almost as if it’s 3D and velvety on her eyelids. She mixes it with “fiction” for an even cooler look. However, when I bought it and used it I was surprised at how subtle this looked on me. Nice but very subtle and a somewhat toned down version of Stila’s “kitten” on me. Although I am a cool-toned PPP (C2 or NC20) it doesn’t make me look sick or as though I’m dying as some other PPPs have mentioned.

I told my colleague I was disappointed in the subtlety of it and she then told me how she literally cakes it on to get the effect. So, in terms of economy of use this won’t be a cheap way to have great eyelids because I will go through the pan quickly. However, this colour is really cool yet hard to explain. It looks like a dull pale grey with green tones that throws a pink reflect in the pan, so it doesn’t grab your attention as being a desirable shade. But if you apply it quite heavily and put other colours with it (especially greens, greys and pinks/purples) it will intensify and work with the colour you put with it and have a pearlescent effect. It’s also great as a brow bone highlighter.

Because of its versatility I highly recommend giving this a go. But try before you buy! It’s the most unique shadow I have bought and I’d probably repurchase because it can really add to any makeup look. It wears well and doesn’t crease, even when applied thickly. Another great MAC product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2004 12:24:00 AM More reviews by shamrocked

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

(Background: NC20 LLL, blonde hair, dark green eyes)

FALSE TRICKSIE LIARS! You *said* it was beautiful! You rec'd it and rec'd it... I went to Bendel's with visions of "OMG it's going to be the end all be all..." or at the very least 'kinda pretty'... LIARS I SAY! =P

Okay maybe it looks good on some of you. I see the other reviews have this shade coming out on all different ends of the spectrum (some say gray, some say pink, some say green) but me? I say corpse.

You heard me. We're talking cadaver baby. It's the same sickly pale gray-green that you'd find by checking out whats in any draw in your friendly neighborhood morgue.

I'd at least give it a 2nd lippie if even the consistency/formula was good... but I find this to be one of MAC's "Awh damn it's a clinker" bad ones. Does NOT blend well, I find it to be too 'powdery' dry, and it doesn't apply evenly at ALL wet. (Hey look, my eyes look bumpy! Gee last I checked my eyes are still smooth... *washes off* ah yes, they are smooth... okay let me try again... hey look, my eyes are bumpy....)

Certainly due to the many positive reviews (hmpf.) this is a YMMV shade, so go check it out I suppose if you really feel like gambling, but I reckon unless you're MMM or beyond or going for a screening as an extra for the next 'Night of the Living Dead'.... skip it.
continued >>

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2004 4:21:00 PM More reviews by glossgal_01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This one was part of a palette that I got. It didn't look that amazing in the palette. On it's own, it's a nice light grayish tone with a hint of lavender-green in the pot. I like this one a base or a lid color. It has a bit of a pinkish shimmer when I wear it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2004 10:53:00 AM More reviews by MauveRebelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

It seems that everyone sees the color of this shadow differently....some see it green others grey...to me, it looks grey with green reflection in it in the pot, but goes silver pinky mauve on my skin...It's a nice e/s but I only use it for some particular effects. I wear it in the inner corner of my eyes on the rims up to where my lashes start. It really is a versatile eye shadow. I think you can pair it with any color. I pair it with MAC fade, they have the same intensity.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2004 12:25:00 PM More reviews by diorgrl8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i am in LOVE with vex! at first i thought i'd made a mistake getting this, but now i wear it everyday. my favorite thing to do is apply it on the inner corners of my eyes and inner lower rims and i usually pair it with trax or fiction, but looks awesome with anything. this is truly a staple color !!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2004 6:25:00 PM More reviews by 11jenn11

I can't believe I'm writing a positive review for MAC, as I seem to be one of the lone MUAers not completely smitten by this brand (unfortunate, as it's available quite cheaply in Canada). My all-time favorite e/s is (or rather, was) Lancome Maquiriche in Angora- discontinued, alas- and it's recently become a hobby of mine to obtain all those remaining up for swap. But now I have an alternative in MAC Vex! I tried applying Angora to one eye and Vex to the other, and they're essentially identical! Yes, Angora is a bit more velveteen-violet, while Vex is more frosted and with a multi-tonal shimmer (purply/pinky with a hint of green on my fair skin), but they look virtually identical on me from afar. Both are MELBB (my eye lids but better, tee-hee-hee!) and really open up the entire eye area. I use it dry for a natural hint of color on my lids, wet for more intense application, and also as eyeliner under my eyes using a thin liner brush. So Vex is not only beautiful, but versatile ... Hence the 5 lippies for my new favorite shadow!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2004 1:02:00 PM More reviews by katlynel

I got Vex sight unseen based on the recs here (the SA had to go into the back of the store to get it when I told her I wanted it, and she slipped it into my palette without showing me). When I got home and opened up my palette, I was horrified -- ew! muddy flat grey! It sat in my palette untouched for weeks. When I finally got up the nerve to try it, though, I was amazed.Normally I can't wear greys, but this looks like the most lovely neutral accent. It's a very strange color, a grey base with tones of pink, beige, peach, and green, but for some reason it's beautiful. (Another oddity: it looks grey to me but my boyfriend insists it's green.) A very unique MAC winner, a shade I could wear every day. UPDATE 7/19: Upgrading this to five lippies, as I love this and have been wearing it several times a week. It's interesting how different this looks on different people. On me, it's a light grey-beige. On my boyfriend (who was kind enough to let me try it on him!), it looks like a peachy pink. Go figure. continued >>