Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

on 11/18/2008 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Just want to share a nice tip if you’re looking for more natural looking highlights… I once had done “sun-kissed” highlights in a saloon and I absolutely loved it (it’s a cool and low-maintenance look - lighter ends, so roots don’t really show quickly), but they were really costly… Then a friend of mine recommended this kit, saying you could get a similar effect if you start from the ends and go up towards the roots every 5 minutes, using a sponge (like those make-up sponges) to smoothly apply and avoid marks in between…

Since it was the first time I did this kinda thing at home by myself, I was really careful with time and kept a clock right there in my bathroom… after I selected all meches, I started from the ends (my hair had a shoulder-length, so I took like ¼ of it), waited 5 minutes and then applied a little higher… then again, again…than 5 last minutes in the roots. Whole application took 30 min.

I washed it off and the result was great, so natural… even my hairstylist complimented saying it looked professional!! When done with application, I could notice the ends were really light as opposed to roots, almost white – I got scared for a second but once it blended with the rest of my hair, it looked really cool and not too light. If you feel like trying to do this, just plan ahead specially if you have really long hair… make sure you appropriately divide up the maximum time so your ends won’t get fried. Try it out, it’s worth it – by the way, my roots never really showed, just this really subtle blond. I’m doing it for the second time this month!

on 11/8/2008 12:10:00 PM

I have been highlighting my hair for about 15 years or so and this is by far the best kit I have used. I have used the paint on kind and they just don't look as natural as these. First I had dyed my hair about 4 days ago Medium Golden Brown (already had some auburn highlights in it) and it was too dark and washed me out. Besides I'm not used to one solid color. So after reading all of the reviews I decided to try the "Honey" one, I looked up and down for Chestnut but can't find it. I was afraid that the Honey would be too light of a contrast for my dark hair but decided to try it. The cap was easy for me because I'm used to caps. I pulled all of the holes through. I was planning on leaving it on for only 30 minutes because my hair lifts pretty quick. I checked it around 12 minutes on and panicked! It looked like it was already too blonde. I immediately rinsed it off. I did have some breakage on one piece that was too blonde ( I think it was because it had already been processed or something but my hair was like spaghetti... not sure what happened) but no breakage on any other pieces. I will say that yes the kit is drying too. I hope though that the highlights last and I don't have to do it very frequently. So once I blow dryed it I am SOOO thankful that I rinsed it when I did. I have a pretty blonde/honey color highlights. Very nice. I usually spend $200 on my highlights and can't stand them (usually too light or too much). This was great! I would buy this again in a heartbeat!!

on 11/6/2008 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

After reading the numerous positive reviews, I decided to try this myself. I haven't highlighted my hair in about five years. Even then, I had it professionally done. I stopped because the maintenance was starting to get annoying and costly.

I bought this tonight and tried it. I have to admit that it took me over an hour to pull strands of hair throug the crown and faceframing sections of the cap.

One negative is that it really looked like I got the product all over my roots. However, once I had rinsed, I noticed that the product did not saturate my roots at all. It doesn't look bad, but I will definitely pay attention to that better next time. Just be careful to rub the product into your roots. Just putting it on the roots does not do the trick.

Also, this product only took about 15 mins to get very blonde on my hair. Make sure that you literally start checking it every five minutes after the first ten. I took for granted that it would take longer. It's only by chance that I walked into the bathroom to get tissue when I realized that after 16 mins my hair was already extremely blonde.

I do like this product. I think the second time will be better now that I know how I can do it better. Overall, this was pretty good. Just give yourself a total of two hours to complete the process and clean up.

on 11/4/2008 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I have been highlighting my very dark ash blonde hair for about 13 years. I have had proff. foil highlights done, but honestly prefer the results when I've done them myself with a cap...not to mention how much money I save! I used to use proff. highlighting products from Barnum's/Sally's, but decided to give a cheap highlighting product a try. A good friend raved to me about Frost & Glow, and said that this always gave her excellent salon worthy results. So I purchased the box for blonde to light brown hair. I used the cap included, but my own metal wands from Sally's, and had a friend help me with the back. I also own a Magicap (hate it), and a Magicap Elite (love it), but am happy to use the Frost & Glow cap. It's convenient to be able to throw everything away when you're done, versus having to wash your cap, bowl, and brushes, etc. The plastic hooks tend to just break, and cause tangling, so use a metal one, or a crochet needle. I should say, that after doing cap highlights for so many years, I'm able to do my whole head by myself, without a mirror, in about 30-45 minutes. I have very thick hair, so I just pull through as much hair as I can, through every hole. I should also mention, that while my natural color is technically blonde and an ash shade, it tends to lighten VERY brassy, so I just left the bleach on the full 60 min. and my highlights were platinum, a shade I could never achieve before, amazing! Next time, I'll prolly check it after 45 min. One last tip, put conditioner on your hair before you pull off the cap, and it will come off much easier and won't pull on those delicate newly bleached locks! My hair doesn't feel any more damaged, so for the color payoff, and the insanely low price ($7 bucks), I will definitely continue to use this product!

on 10/25/2008 4:35:00 PM

THANK YOU to all of the reviewers who convinced me to try this. I'm very happy with this product!!

I've had the best luck using the kit for Blonde to Light Brown Hair - I have naturally mousy brown hair. I decided to try this after trying (for years) to achieve a nice very light brown color. In the past I was always parading around w/brassy overtones, too dark brown, or even worse, the purple or green hues that linger with ash brown shades (such as with Loreal Preference Brunettes).

In order to get a light brown color, I "bleach" (w/Frost and Glow) my crown, bangs and the hair in front of my ears, rinse it out, dry it, and then add some brown dye to the frosted strands.

I did this with my homemade foiling technique, which is with plastic wrap. Definitely have a game plan for what you want to color before applying the color. It lifts color pretty quickly. i've done this a few times now and do a "crown plus" kind of section (top of head and sides). I used a very long piece of plastic wrap, clipped in place, to cover the hair I don't want colored.

Unlike Hairpainting and the ones by Loreal I do not have an issue with hair breakage by the roots.

After about 45 minutes I end up with yellowy white haircolor. Once I have this sort of blank canvas hair, I do my own toning by painting on light brown dye. I use Revlon Colorsilk 54, a nice medium brown shade. ColorSilk is as awesome as Frost and Glow, by the way. Note: the dark color is absorbed very quickly, so you may have to do a few batches of rinsing, drying, and applying (which is time consuming) to achieve the most natural look (lightest strands on top of the head). If a day or two later I think I've dyed the hair too dark brown it is easy to lighten it up again - I just take a paint brush and lightly touch the pieces I want lighter with Frost and Glow, leave it on a few minutes, and I'm done.
EDITED JULY 2009

on 10/12/2008 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Let's face it - the prospect of bleaching/highlighting one's hair is not something most people take lightly. At the very least, you can end up with orange streaks and at the very worst, you can end up with fried hair that breaks off like the twig on a tree on a cold winter day in New Hampshire.

So why would anyone want to risk that to their hair to anything other than a professional highlighting service? The primary reason is that highlighting is expensive. This is not an issue when money is not an issue, however when budgets get tight, it's easy to forego the highlights and settle for just a single process color at the salon. However, in the name of beauty, one cannot always forego the highlights. Therefore, some of us are willing to take the plunge to go with an at-home product. This risk is especially easier to mitigate when you use a product that has already been tried and rated well on MUA.

Well, I was one of the MUA'ers who decided to take the plunge and here is my review. I purchased the Revlon Frost & Glow kit for Chestnut Highlights on Medium Brown to Black Hair.

I first colored my hair with Clairol Premium Creme Soy Complex. Please see my review on MUA:
My Review of Clairol Premium Soy Complex Hair Color

Please note that I didn't use any product like mousse or gel, and thoroughly dried my hair before DH and I started the highlighting process.

As per previous recommendations, I did purchase the Magicap from Sally's, however both DH and I discovered that one benefit from using the cap that was included with the Revlon kit was that it has a built in template to show you where to pull your hair through for highlights to frame the face, the crown, or all over. The Magicap is just a plain silicone cap with holes, and DH and I decided to use the Revlon cap instead, but only for that reason. The plan in the future is to mark the Magicap in permanent marker to show what sections to pull from.
One tip from DH: Poke holes in the Revlon cap before you put it on your head so that you're not fighting to poke a hole through the plastic and then pull your hair through. Believe me - your head will appreciate it!

Anyway, DH pulled strands with the metal hook that came with the Magicap, which was a little uncomfortable, but otherwise worked out well. We mixed the solution and DH applied it with a brush, and put the plastic bag (that comes with the kit) over my head and clipped it into place.

I processed for a harrowing 60 minutes. I kept checking every few minutes (through the bag) and it was clear that my hair hadn't lifted yet. Finally at 60 minutes, I hopped into the shower, and rinsed the product off. Taking the cap off was more difficult than I expected, and DH helped me by pulling the cap 90 degrees straight off my head.
I rinsed the solution off first as instructed, removed the cap, and then washed with the toner that was included and left it on for 5 minutes (even though the instructions said to leave it on for 2).

The results - subtle caramel highlights that blend in beautifully with no orange streaks and not a fried hair in sight.

I wouldn't go as far to say as they're "salon quality" only because DH is inexperienced (as am I) and I could see how technique goes a long way. If you (or a friend) knows how to foil highlights in, I would recommend that over the cap, however don't let that deter you. The cap method still produced great results, and I couldn't be happier! In the summer, I will probably move up to the Honey Highlights kit, which I would expect would provide more dramatic highlights.

Please see the pictures below for my experience with the Chestnut Highlights kit:

Items/Products I used:

Color I started with before highlighting (dark brown):

DH modeling the Magicap:

DH modeling the Revlon highlighting cap:

Me processing:

The results (hair blown dry with no product, so it's a bit frizzy):

continued >>

on 10/2/2008 12:49:00 PM

I am disgusted that I've spent probably thousands of dollars at the salon throughout my lifetime, when all the while this glorious product was sitting on the shelf at my local drugstore. I picked this up after reading the reviews here. After putting the cap on I realized that my patience level just wouldn't permit it, so I sent my boyfriend to the store to get me some regular old foil. I ripped them into squares and proceeded to foil my own highlights. I've watched my stylist doing it many times, so I had a pretty good understanding of how to do it. I parted my hair down the middle and switched from side to side, to make sure not one side had more processing time than the other. I didn't feel like bothering with the back of my head so I only did about 8 layers on the front, on either side. I was careful not to go right onto the scalp, and left a little room for the roots to show so it would look more natural ( I have dark blond hair). After washing it out and drying it I was so impressed! It seriously looks like I just came from the salon, and I didn't even do my whole head. I highly recommend this stuff, but get foil. It makes it easier and I think the results are a little more dramatic.

on 9/26/2008 11:58:00 AM

I desperately needed my salon highlights retouched, but am in a little bit of a money crunch and just couldn't bear to shell out the $75 + tip. I picked this highlight kit up at CVS for $10. Used it one weekend -- it took FOREVER for me to pull strands through the plastic cap with the hook, but I finally got the hang of it towards the end. It would have been really helpful to have a friends help with the back, but oh well, at least no one had to see me looking so silly in the plastic cap! Anyway, I have light brown, highlighted hair. I left the cream on for approx 25 minutes -- I hadn't checked on it in that time, and then FREAKED because my hair looked scarily platinum. Ripped the cap off, rinsed, used the shampoo and conditioner. And when I dried my hair... laaaa!! The highlights blended PERFECTLY with my grown-out salon highlights. And I've gotten SO MANY compliments on my hair color and questions about where I get it done. I am LOVING telling people that I colored it myself. I just can't wait to do it again. And I saved more than $65! Only problem is I don't know how to break it to my stylist that I'm cheating on her with a drugstore product :)

on 9/21/2008 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was so nervous about coloring my hair at home, but a friend recommended this product. It took a while to pull through the cap and I would highly recommend having someone help you with the back of your head. I would definitely use this product again!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This highlighting kit is the best I have ever tried! I completely agree with buying the MagiCap from Sally's Beauty Supply. It is SO MUCH EASIER than the lousy one from the kit. I have used this kit to highlight my hair (& 2 of my friends' hair) with the following methods:

1.) The first time, I used the cap and hook that come in the kit. It was horrible. I was close to tears! My hair was very long at the time (mid-chest) and pulling it through using a PLASTIC hook was a nightmare. I would only recommend doing it this way if you have very short & straight hair (think Audrey Hepburn).

2.) The second time, I tried the foil method. It turned out well, although I was mainly just touching up a few pieces on top. I also used this method for my friend Jen's hair- it turned out beautifully! I would definitely recommend this method as long as you are usually reasonably good with hair/makeup things (aka, if you can't apply liquid eyeliner properly or have trouble with a blowdryer/brush, stick to the MagiCap).

3.) After a few more times of foiling, I decided to freehand it completely. The bleach stayed put and didn't color the hair that the highlighted sections were resting on. I still used the plastic cover on my head to keep the heat/moisture in. If you don't do this, the bleach will be cold & dry and will not lighten your hair. I would recommend this for touching up roots/adding a few highlights.

4.) Finally, I bought the MagiCap. I paid $6 for it at Sally Beauty Supply. This is key to getting professional, salon-worthy highlights. It was SO much faster & less painful than using the lousy cap/hook in the kit. The one downfall of this is that it doesn't get as close to the roots as I would like (I have medium brown hair naturally and bleach it to a medium blonde, so this is important for my hair). I now alternate between the MagiCap (keeps my highlights even) and free-handing touch-ups (to get the roots & any spots that are starting to look to dark or too brassy). I usually use 1/2 the box for my past-the-shoulder, thick hair. If I used ALL of the bleach that came in the kit, my hair would probably be Marilyn-blonde by now...just something to keep in mind! :)

Overall, this kit (which I have used in Honey and the lighter blonde shade) is the most effective bleaching kit I have ever bought. It has allowed me to go blonde AT HOME, avoiding hair stylists that don't listen and charge $$$ for highlights.

One final piece of advice (if you're like me and never do a strand test, listen up!): DO NOT rinse this out too early. It is better to have too-blonde hair than too-orange hair. Many times after using the MagiCap & this kit I come out of the shower to think "OMG, I look like a skunk!" thinking that my highlights are too light. This has NEVER been the case. They always blend beautifully, and I am relieved as soon as I blow dry it. Blonde hair can be toned. Orange hair, on the other hand, needs to be re-bleached and toned (or re-dyed to your base color, which sort of defeats the purpose of using this kit).

Good luck!