April 16, 2014 | 989 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2008 11:00:00 AM More reviews by jadkin

so i have had some hair mishaps in the past couple of weeks... i wanted to go lighter with my dark-blonde natural colour. i purchased one of l'oreal's "blonde supreme" excellence products and was absolutely HORRIFIED by the canary-yellow that it turned out as! sigh. so i dyed it AGAIN with medium-blonde preference which effectively toned down the brassiness. but true to my form: i wasn't satisfied. with blonde colour it doesn't look quite that natural unless there are highlights laced throughout. enter: revlon's frost & glow kit in blonde. the colour was a perfect complement to my lighter hair... it just brightened me up monumentally!

i see a lot of problems with the application of this product. since i have long fine hair but LOTS of it i decided to paint on the highlights myself. i pinned up most of my hair- leaving the lower 3 inches hanging. at random intervals all along the horizontal part i made i painted on fairly thin strips of colour... making sure the massage the product all along the hair shaft. once i had finished that level i let down another inch or so of hair all around and repeated the painting process. this took me about an hour and a half but the results were VERY worth it. highlights all over with no weird colour chunks. i have never done this to my hair before so its not as if i'm some pro! it was actually quite fun... and considering highlights at my salon cost $90 and this box costs less than $15 cdn... its totally worth it!!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2008 6:55:00 AM More reviews by pullum_purna

I've struggled like crazy w/ the cap & just gave up using it.
I used foil & at 1st time strand test it came out outstandingly good! But it's only cuz I had red dyed toned hair from the week before; so this bright hot red tone appeared. Well, after day 2 I decided to do more of my hair. It turned my hair to a gross orange/blonde color. Like sum1 pissed on my head! It was such'a disaster I had to recolor my entire hair; so I dried out my hair that week.

I wonder... how did u guys get the cap working 4 u? They had pre-holes but none of them were poked. I attempted 2 poke it with the provided needle & cldn't; thn I attempted 2 use a scissors to poke the wholes & basically I pulled out some hair trying 2 use the needle to do each strand. The problem is the strands R so small it wld rip out hair e/ time I did it. How painful.

Added to that, the mixture was powdery & messy.. It flaked everywhere.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2008 3:04:00 PM More reviews by rachelownsyourfacexx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

After reading all of the reviews on this site, I went out and bought it. I have dyed black hair and after a few months of it, I got bored with it. So I wanted to lighten it, but everything I tried didn't work. Finally I found this, and for everyone that has black hair that just won't lighten- USE IT. The cap is kind of annoying [I have straight, very long hair] but you'll get the hang of it. Also, try a crochet needle. It's better and pulls out more hair. Overall, this is a miracle product for all that have dyed their hair black and cannot get it out.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2008 1:00:00 AM More reviews by smellslikebutterflies64

wow, I just tried this tonight after much trepidation and I'm really impressed. I have very long, fine, dark blonde hair. It's fine, but there is a lot of it. I always had really pretty natural highlights when I've lived in the sun, but since coming to the pacific NW it's gotten darker so I've paid over $100 a few times in the last 3 years to try and recapture that look.
I was scared to do this at home after a couple of orange streak disasters in the past, but didn't feel like forking over the cash this time.
Anyhow, I didn't think the cap was bad at all. It was fairly easy to get the hair through. My one freak out was when I pulled a large chunk through a hole on the side of my head. I really couldn't get it back in under the cap without starting over, so I covered that hair in oil and ventured forth.
I left the bleach on for about 45 minutes, and the color is just gorgeous. I did the crown and face area and pulled through every other circle.
Sunny and natural looking, exactly what I was hoping for. I will definitely buy this again and not do salon highlights any more.
Highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2008 3:10:00 PM More reviews by lcassesa

I bought this today at Walmart for $6.47.. very cheap in my opinion. I got it in the Chestnut shade for my dark/medium brown hair. When i got home and opened the box.. i was disappointed that the mix had exploded in the box and was everywhere. I had to go back to walmart to get another one. The next box was also damaged and it took 2 more to find a nice new one. That is the reasoning why i gave it only a 2 in packaging quality. There was also NO seal on the box.. which always makes me nervous if colors were switched or materials missing. I opened the box as soon as i got home b/c i was anxious to start. I must be honest.. the cap thingy scared me.. but there was no turning back now. I did a strand test which took 30 minutes total. Made me happy knowing that the test strand came out fine. I put on my "lovely" cap and started pulling hairs through. Very easy until it came to do some back pieces. i highly recommend getting somebody to help you with the back pieces. Also.. i think i didn't pull too much through the holes. It said for subtle highlights use every other hole in the cap.. i used EVERY hole in the front and crown sections.. but b/c i only pulled a few hairs through each hole the results were very subtle. Next time i'm gong to make sure to pull more through the holes. Anwyays.. back to the cap.. i found the cap to be great b/c it was clearly marked where to pull the hairs for front /crown/back sections. But i had a hard time with the cheap crappy hook they supplied. When i buy again i'm going to get a better frosting hook from sally's. The solution was a cinch to mix together.. and i using my hands i applied it to the all the pieces poking through the cap. So very simple.. Then i wrapped it up and waiting 20 anxious minutes so i could wash out, shampoo the toner in and condition. When i got out of the shower i hardly noticed any change.. But once i finished drying it.. it was gorgeous!! Very professional looking!!!!!! I did the Chestnut shade this time.. but for the summer i'll switch to the honey one. Absolutely love how it came out! I keep starting at my hair in the mirror!!!! Love love love it!!

Highly recommended.. Will most definitely buy again!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2008 10:00:00 PM More reviews by bluemoon1961

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is better than my salon highlight for which I paid a fortune. I have dark blond hair and used the Honey kit. The hook didn't worked so I used a crochet hook. It looks very natural blond, like the sun bleached it. Instead the conditioner I used aussies deep conditioner and left it on for 20 min. There is no dryness and my hair is soft and shiny.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2008 10:08:00 PM More reviews by cmhwi

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried the Honey kit for dark brown hair. I did a preliminary strand-test (highly recommended). This is the first time I have tried home highlighting. I processed my test strand for 45 min. My hair color is about a level 5 neutral brown. The test strand lightened to some degree, but tomorrow I will process for at least 50 to 55 minutes and that should do the trick. Do that test strand, I'm glad I didn't do the entire head otherwise it wouldn't have been light enough. Also, do this in daylight so you can correctly gauge your result.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2008 12:17:00 AM More reviews by pw6281

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wonderful product! This is the first time I have highlighted my hair at home, and after reading several reviews on different products, I decided to give this one a try. I started with a base color of Garnier Fructis in Chesnut (a warm auburn) that I had dyed 3 weeks ago, and used the Honey highlighting kit. I absolutely love the highlights! I was worried that the color would come out to a brassy orange, similar to what normally happens in the salons, since I have significant red tones in my base. But not with this product! The highlights are a white blonde, no yellow or brassy tones! I left the bleach on for a total of 60 minutes, and am delighted with the outcome. For years I have spent $120-150 at salons to achieve the "perfect highlights", but yet doing it at home, I looked like I walked right from the salon, and LOVE the results!

The box comes with everything you'll need....cap, bleach powder and developer, spatula, hook, shampoo, conditioner, and mixing tray. I used the cap included in the box with no problem, but I know others have suggested buying a cap from Sally's. My advice however is to invest in a metal hook from Sally's, which I did. It is a small cost, mine was under $1. The process is time consuming ,and some of the holes on the cap can be hard to reach...I had my roomate pull my hair through the cap for me, and if you know someone who would be willing to help, I would suggest the same!

Overall, I LOVE the results. For $6.99 for the box of frost & glow, I achieved at home what I have been paying $120-150 to the salon to do! I only wish I discovered this product earlier. Give this product a try, you will not be disappointed! The results are salon quality, and I even had a roomate tell me this looks better than any highlights I have done at the salon!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2008 6:11:00 PM More reviews by JWILLS

Great, Great, Great! This stuff really is the best. My hair always turns brassy when its colored, even from a salon, but not with this. I initailly thought it might be a tad too light but it seemed to settle down after a few days. Didnt dry my hair out at all and the color is PERFECT. I have never had a color this good, even after paying $150 and up. I start with Colorsilk in Dark Blonde.....wait a few days and add some highlights with this. I will agree the needle and cap arent the best but well worth the end result. Usually, you only get a small amout of hair with each "pull" so I dug in further to get more....next time I will stick with the small amount! My hair has body and for $3 for the Colorsilk and $7 for this, I will always color my own hair from now on!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2008 2:58:00 PM More reviews by suzanneleigh

This is my holy grail for at-home highlighting! Until I found this, my dyed blonde hair was ALWAYS brassy and I was never happy with it until I found this at a drugstore and decided to give it a try. I love the platinum highlights that don't turn yellow. Such a relief after all these years! And honestly, the salon would usually have the same results--brassiness after a week or two, so I started to look for things I could do myself to save money. The biggest pain is that you have to pull your hair through a cap, which I LOATHE, but I am not talented enough to free-hand it, so sometimes I put off coloring my hair because I don't want to have to go through the trouble. However, I did decide to get the metal hook from Sally's, which made a big difference. The plastic hook that comes with the package I always throw away after I use the big end to mix the product. And yes, the plastic gloves are crappy. Of course, eventually I do end up getting the overblonde look, but I have been recently experimenting with doing lowlights using the same method. Works pretty well--especially for what I am saving. My family keeps on telling me my "hairdresser" is doing a great job--I don't even bother to tell them it's me, since they wouldn't believe it because of all self-inflicted hair fiascos I have visited upon myself in the past, ;)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No