October 31, 2014 | 1370 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2008 7:37:00 PM More reviews by shylen8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I believe this is the best box highlighting kit on the market. Salon quality.

I have strawberry blonde hair but the highlights turned out a sort of platinum blonde. Looks great!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2008 9:01:00 AM More reviews by icinml

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I've been using this for a few years now & absolutely love it! My base color is a med. to dark mousey blond so I use the lightest kit about every 4 months. I want to add that it's pretty important to follow the directions regarding doing a strand test, especially if you've never used this before. It's the only way to gauge the time you need to leave this on to process to your desired level. For me, my time to leave it on to process is 38-40 minutes to get veeeery pale cream colored highlights without brassiness. Also, after I've freshly highlighted I use Phytology PhytoCitrus shampoo & hair mask for at least a week or 2 and it really helps to keep my highlights brighter in the long run. There's a pic of me in my profile (standing next to my sis who's a redhead ), for reference my hair in that pic is about 6 weeks after highlighting with this product.
This is a great highlighting kit, just follow the directions & keep it on for the amount of time indicated from your strand test & you're good to go.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2008 3:14:00 PM More reviews by maiseycat

I bought the box for dark brown to black hair (my natural color is dark brown). I had to give this a low rating because it barely did anything. I got some very subtle red highlights, but it was noticeable only to me. Maybe I shouldn't have used the toner shampoo, but I noticed my hair was looking really red, so I felt it was best to use it as instructed. I gave this a 2 instead of a 1 because I guess it could've been worse. Also, I've used the kit for dark blonde to dark brown hair (many years ago), and it turned out well. I didn't re-buy that one because I wanted a less dramatic look this time. So, I thought I'd get good results with this product, and am a little disappointed. I think next time I might try it and not use the toner shampoo. I bought the lighter kit, but am afraid to use it because I don't really want blonde. Ideally, I want caramelly highlights, but haven't seen many at-home products that will give me this. I'm afraid of the salon for highlighting because of past bad experiences.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2008 9:23:00 AM More reviews by emyj

Awesome results!! I have shoulder length brown hair (no blonde in it at all) and this was the first time I've used an at home highlighting kit and it turned out GREAT. Left it on for 40 minutes and came out with bright blonde highlights. Only thing I didn't like about this product was the plastic tool included used to pull your hair through the cap. Next time I use it I'll probably purchase a metal one from Sally's. I am more than pleased with the results! :]

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2008 6:46:00 PM More reviews by donna4ever

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Tried this on my blonde hair and it gave me very little color and I left it on the max of 60 min alot of damage for hardly no color at all. I would not buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2008 9:12:00 AM More reviews by CalypsoOrchid

Before coloring, my hair was a dull blonde with darker roots growing out. I wanted to have subtle highlights all over so I pulled only 10-15 hairs through EVERY hole. It went pretty quickly because the hair that comes out when you stick the hook thorugh once and pull it out is just the right amount. My husband helped with the back and sides so it only took about an hour. Anyway, it turned out so great. It wasn't obvious that I had highlighted, but it brightened my hair so much, and looks really natural. A great buy, and cheap way to brighten your locks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2008 1:19:00 PM More reviews by blueberryfrost

My mom has light blonde-ish hair, and she wanted her hair to have lighter blonde highlights in it. Like everyone one else, lately we've been trying to save money whereever possible, so we picked out this Frost and Glow kit for light blonde to light brown hair.

First of all, I need to say that this would be nearly impossible to do by yourself. You DEFINITELY need someone else to help you pull the hair through the holes so it will be distributed evenly. She sat in a chair and I helped her pull the strands through the cap. I found that the hook that came with it wasn't too bad, but the crochet needle works better BUT be careful, because it could pull out more hair than you may want.

Within twenty minutes we could see her hair on the top of her head getting lighter quickly. The hair on the back, around her neck, was darker and wasn't getting much lighter. So, I suggest putting the solution on the darkest part of your hair FIRST so that has more time to lighten.

We washed it out after about thirty minutes, and it looks great! She really loves it and is very pleased. It looks like it was done in a salon! But seriously, get someone to help you, it would be way too dificult to do by yourself. Be patient, be sure you have at least an hour to devote to it, because it can't be rushed or you will get weird results.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2008 9:12:00 PM More reviews by annamac

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was afraid, to say the least, of highlighting my own hair. But, I was ready for a change. I have medium brown, thick, and very fine hair. The cap wasn't so bad for me, it was easier than I thought it would be. The hard part was getting the back of my head pulled through. I had to get my 13 year old son to help me. He did it with no problems! It took only 15 minutes and I could already see my hair was lighter. Definitely worth the $6.50 I paid!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2008 7:13:00 AM More reviews by blueflamingo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using this product for years. The price is excellent and the quality is good. I used to use L'Oreal's Petite Frosting kit and tried the regular L'Oreal kit. I ended up calling L'Oreal to complain because their cap was so bad compared to Revlon's. I did save the metal hooks that come w/ L'Oreal so I have never used the plastic one everyone complains about w/ the Revlon kit.

I have dark ash blonde hair that easily turns brassy. I usually dye my hair w/ Revlon Dark ash blonde a couple of days to a couple of weeks before to get rid of the roots, and then when I'm tired of the blah color I use the highlighting kit. I need to leave this on 45-60 minutes (hair pulls really red) and sometimes use the blowdryer on the plastic cap to move things along. I use the cap and don't have any trouble pulling through the front, sides, and top, but the back is a bugger (I sit on the bathroom counter and hold a mirror in hand to see the back). Have an experienced friend help w/ the back; my DH is no good at it!

Only complaint is it is very drying, and of course in a few weeks it is brassy. So I condition heavily beforehand, and deep condition once a week or so (fine hair so conditioner really weights it down). I guess others use the Clairol Glimmer Lights (I think that's what it is called) from Sally Beauty to tone down the brassiness, which I will do this time.

Overall, a good product w/ consistent results for a great price.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2008 3:15:00 PM More reviews by weddingdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY-TRUST ME!

My experience in the past: I had used this a few years ago when I had very highlighted hair. I was very blonde all over from my salon highlights and wanted to touch-up at home with revlon frost&glow. I remember not really being too crazy about the results. I didn't have orange hair (like some other highlighting boxes out there) but I wasn't too thrilled with the results--my blonde was really blondish-orange, not enough to be called 'orange' and to render a disaster, but it wasn't what I was looking for. However, I wasn't too disappointed. It was just a touch up in between. I left it on for only 20 minutes so thats why it probably didn't lift to where I wanted it.

Recently: I read the reviews on this (out of curiousity) and decided to go out and buy the same box of revlon frost&glow highlights again (The one specified for medium to dark hair)--I would leave it on longer this time. I have a neutral brown base color right now with reddish tones and decided I should try the highlights again. I didn't use the cap because that thing is just plain useless and doesn't really work! I put on the gloves and after mixing the product, I just sectioned out strands, with my fingers, for which highlights I wanted..I left it on for 40 minutes. My results were nice blonde highlights (that you could see changing into blonde!) Some spots were more brassy than others, but next time I'm going to leave it on longer. The trick is to leave it on as loooong as possible. At least for an hour! I think my results would have been much better if I had done that..but it definitely wasn't horrible!

Next time I am going to leave it on even longer than 40 minutes and see what happens. I think if you want subtle highlights, nothing like crazy-platnum chunks, then go for this.

This is not for you if:
Your hair has just recently been dyed dark black or bright cherry red. Your hair is too damaged and this product will only make it worse and cause breakage. You're going to hate your life, trust me..so don't buy this if you just recently colored.

It is also not for you if you arn't going to be patient. You have to sit there for at least an hour to get the results you want! I'm not joking. So do that, and you'll like it. Also, buy the box reccomended for your hair shade. Look on the side of the box and there is a color guide. If your hair falls in that category then thats the one to use!

Some tips: Buy any brand box color in light ash brown. Once your highlights are finished go over them with the light ash brown and then wash out after 10-15 minutes. Maybe even shorter. Just watch the color, once it looks like its turning brown wash it out..This will tone down the orange or bright yellow, if you get results that arn't to your satisfaction. I had a toner on hand, but didn't end up using it--my highlights were blonde and not orange and very subtle and nice. Some might need the toner though so definitely get one and have it on hand in case you don't like it.

Happy Highlighting! & remember most people who write reviews for this product have natural blonde hair or lighter tones to their hair. So if you are a dark haired girl, do not buy the box made for blondes. Get the one in your color.

21 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No