July 30, 2014 | 1982 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2008 6:46:00 PM More reviews by donna4ever

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Tried this on my blonde hair and it gave me very little color and I left it on the max of 60 min alot of damage for hardly no color at all. I would not buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2008 9:12:00 AM More reviews by CalypsoOrchid

Before coloring, my hair was a dull blonde with darker roots growing out. I wanted to have subtle highlights all over so I pulled only 10-15 hairs through EVERY hole. It went pretty quickly because the hair that comes out when you stick the hook thorugh once and pull it out is just the right amount. My husband helped with the back and sides so it only took about an hour. Anyway, it turned out so great. It wasn't obvious that I had highlighted, but it brightened my hair so much, and looks really natural. A great buy, and cheap way to brighten your locks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2008 1:19:00 PM More reviews by blueberryfrost

My mom has light blonde-ish hair, and she wanted her hair to have lighter blonde highlights in it. Like everyone one else, lately we've been trying to save money whereever possible, so we picked out this Frost and Glow kit for light blonde to light brown hair.

First of all, I need to say that this would be nearly impossible to do by yourself. You DEFINITELY need someone else to help you pull the hair through the holes so it will be distributed evenly. She sat in a chair and I helped her pull the strands through the cap. I found that the hook that came with it wasn't too bad, but the crochet needle works better BUT be careful, because it could pull out more hair than you may want.

Within twenty minutes we could see her hair on the top of her head getting lighter quickly. The hair on the back, around her neck, was darker and wasn't getting much lighter. So, I suggest putting the solution on the darkest part of your hair FIRST so that has more time to lighten.

We washed it out after about thirty minutes, and it looks great! She really loves it and is very pleased. It looks like it was done in a salon! But seriously, get someone to help you, it would be way too dificult to do by yourself. Be patient, be sure you have at least an hour to devote to it, because it can't be rushed or you will get weird results.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2008 9:12:00 PM More reviews by annamac

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was afraid, to say the least, of highlighting my own hair. But, I was ready for a change. I have medium brown, thick, and very fine hair. The cap wasn't so bad for me, it was easier than I thought it would be. The hard part was getting the back of my head pulled through. I had to get my 13 year old son to help me. He did it with no problems! It took only 15 minutes and I could already see my hair was lighter. Definitely worth the $6.50 I paid!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2008 7:13:00 AM More reviews by blueflamingo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using this product for years. The price is excellent and the quality is good. I used to use L'Oreal's Petite Frosting kit and tried the regular L'Oreal kit. I ended up calling L'Oreal to complain because their cap was so bad compared to Revlon's. I did save the metal hooks that come w/ L'Oreal so I have never used the plastic one everyone complains about w/ the Revlon kit.

I have dark ash blonde hair that easily turns brassy. I usually dye my hair w/ Revlon Dark ash blonde a couple of days to a couple of weeks before to get rid of the roots, and then when I'm tired of the blah color I use the highlighting kit. I need to leave this on 45-60 minutes (hair pulls really red) and sometimes use the blowdryer on the plastic cap to move things along. I use the cap and don't have any trouble pulling through the front, sides, and top, but the back is a bugger (I sit on the bathroom counter and hold a mirror in hand to see the back). Have an experienced friend help w/ the back; my DH is no good at it!

Only complaint is it is very drying, and of course in a few weeks it is brassy. So I condition heavily beforehand, and deep condition once a week or so (fine hair so conditioner really weights it down). I guess others use the Clairol Glimmer Lights (I think that's what it is called) from Sally Beauty to tone down the brassiness, which I will do this time.

Overall, a good product w/ consistent results for a great price.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2008 3:15:00 PM More reviews by weddingdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY-TRUST ME!

My experience in the past: I had used this a few years ago when I had very highlighted hair. I was very blonde all over from my salon highlights and wanted to touch-up at home with revlon frost&glow. I remember not really being too crazy about the results. I didn't have orange hair (like some other highlighting boxes out there) but I wasn't too thrilled with the results--my blonde was really blondish-orange, not enough to be called 'orange' and to render a disaster, but it wasn't what I was looking for. However, I wasn't too disappointed. It was just a touch up in between. I left it on for only 20 minutes so thats why it probably didn't lift to where I wanted it.

Recently: I read the reviews on this (out of curiousity) and decided to go out and buy the same box of revlon frost&glow highlights again (The one specified for medium to dark hair)--I would leave it on longer this time. I have a neutral brown base color right now with reddish tones and decided I should try the highlights again. I didn't use the cap because that thing is just plain useless and doesn't really work! I put on the gloves and after mixing the product, I just sectioned out strands, with my fingers, for which highlights I wanted..I left it on for 40 minutes. My results were nice blonde highlights (that you could see changing into blonde!) Some spots were more brassy than others, but next time I'm going to leave it on longer. The trick is to leave it on as loooong as possible. At least for an hour! I think my results would have been much better if I had done that..but it definitely wasn't horrible!

Next time I am going to leave it on even longer than 40 minutes and see what happens. I think if you want subtle highlights, nothing like crazy-platnum chunks, then go for this.

This is not for you if:
Your hair has just recently been dyed dark black or bright cherry red. Your hair is too damaged and this product will only make it worse and cause breakage. You're going to hate your life, trust me..so don't buy this if you just recently colored.

It is also not for you if you arn't going to be patient. You have to sit there for at least an hour to get the results you want! I'm not joking. So do that, and you'll like it. Also, buy the box reccomended for your hair shade. Look on the side of the box and there is a color guide. If your hair falls in that category then thats the one to use!

Some tips: Buy any brand box color in light ash brown. Once your highlights are finished go over them with the light ash brown and then wash out after 10-15 minutes. Maybe even shorter. Just watch the color, once it looks like its turning brown wash it out..This will tone down the orange or bright yellow, if you get results that arn't to your satisfaction. I had a toner on hand, but didn't end up using it--my highlights were blonde and not orange and very subtle and nice. Some might need the toner though so definitely get one and have it on hand in case you don't like it.

Happy Highlighting! & remember most people who write reviews for this product have natural blonde hair or lighter tones to their hair. So if you are a dark haired girl, do not buy the box made for blondes. Get the one in your color.

21 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2008 1:20:00 PM More reviews by jewelzfly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this to add some highlights to my dark reddish brown hair. I dyed my hair two days before using this stuff. I did the test strand and it looked fine. The cap is ridiculous. After 5 minutes of yanking my hair out i threw it out and went at it with my fingers. Application was easy enough. HOWEVER, this left my hair extremely dry and damaged. Not to mention the highlights turned orange after a day. I now have to dye my hair again to get this crap out.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2008 7:33:00 PM More reviews by themama23

Bought this in two boxes - light one for my daughter with dark blonde hair and dark one for my daughter with brown hair. I had no problem doing this with the cap and hook supplied in the package - must be easier than if you are doing it yourself. My 13 yo even came home and said her teacher had asked her where see had her highlights done - she really liked them. Very subtle and natural for my 12 yo blonde daughter, and more dramatic for my 13 yo brunette. just what they wanted.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/30/2008 3:25:00 AM More reviews by Anonamizz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought the one for dark brown hair to darkest brown (my hair is dark, dark brown so dark that it looks black), followed the directions, applied to hair, waited the time the instructions told me to. Washed one off, the color hadn't changed at all. So I I waited about ten more minutes and checked again, the color still hadn't changed. Which made me worried that maybe I wasn't supposed to see a change until the toner was applied. So I washed it off, applied the toner... and NOTHING. Not even a slight lift in color. $12 down the drain. Didn't do a thing for my hair, only made it dry. I tried L'Oreal's Frost & Design after which worked much better. It sounds like Frost & Glow works good for light colored hair, but if you have dark colored hair, be warned, this may not be the best kit for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2008 11:00:00 AM More reviews by jadkin

so i have had some hair mishaps in the past couple of weeks... i wanted to go lighter with my dark-blonde natural colour. i purchased one of l'oreal's "blonde supreme" excellence products and was absolutely HORRIFIED by the canary-yellow that it turned out as! sigh. so i dyed it AGAIN with medium-blonde preference which effectively toned down the brassiness. but true to my form: i wasn't satisfied. with blonde colour it doesn't look quite that natural unless there are highlights laced throughout. enter: revlon's frost & glow kit in blonde. the colour was a perfect complement to my lighter hair... it just brightened me up monumentally!

i see a lot of problems with the application of this product. since i have long fine hair but LOTS of it i decided to paint on the highlights myself. i pinned up most of my hair- leaving the lower 3 inches hanging. at random intervals all along the horizontal part i made i painted on fairly thin strips of colour... making sure the massage the product all along the hair shaft. once i had finished that level i let down another inch or so of hair all around and repeated the painting process. this took me about an hour and a half but the results were VERY worth it. highlights all over with no weird colour chunks. i have never done this to my hair before so its not as if i'm some pro! it was actually quite fun... and considering highlights at my salon cost $90 and this box costs less than $15 cdn... its totally worth it!!