February 28, 2015 | 2039 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2008 5:55:00 PM More reviews by tide007

I was so nervous about coloring my hair at home, but a friend recommended this product. It took a while to pull through the cap and I would highly recommend having someone help you with the back of your head. I would definitely use this product again!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2008 7:16:00 PM More reviews by LittleMissLawyer

This highlighting kit is the best I have ever tried! I completely agree with buying the MagiCap from Sally's Beauty Supply. It is SO MUCH EASIER than the lousy one from the kit. I have used this kit to highlight my hair (& 2 of my friends' hair) with the following methods:

1.) The first time, I used the cap and hook that come in the kit. It was horrible. I was close to tears! My hair was very long at the time (mid-chest) and pulling it through using a PLASTIC hook was a nightmare. I would only recommend doing it this way if you have very short & straight hair (think Audrey Hepburn).

2.) The second time, I tried the foil method. It turned out well, although I was mainly just touching up a few pieces on top. I also used this method for my friend Jen's hair- it turned out beautifully! I would definitely recommend this method as long as you are usually reasonably good with hair/makeup things (aka, if you can't apply liquid eyeliner properly or have trouble with a blowdryer/brush, stick to the MagiCap).

3.) After a few more times of foiling, I decided to freehand it completely. The bleach stayed put and didn't color the hair that the highlighted sections were resting on. I still used the plastic cover on my head to keep the heat/moisture in. If you don't do this, the bleach will be cold & dry and will not lighten your hair. I would recommend this for touching up roots/adding a few highlights.

4.) Finally, I bought the MagiCap. I paid $6 for it at Sally Beauty Supply. This is key to getting professional, salon-worthy highlights. It was SO much faster & less painful than using the lousy cap/hook in the kit. The one downfall of this is that it doesn't get as close to the roots as I would like (I have medium brown hair naturally and bleach it to a medium blonde, so this is important for my hair). I now alternate between the MagiCap (keeps my highlights even) and free-handing touch-ups (to get the roots & any spots that are starting to look to dark or too brassy). I usually use 1/2 the box for my past-the-shoulder, thick hair. If I used ALL of the bleach that came in the kit, my hair would probably be Marilyn-blonde by now...just something to keep in mind! :)

Overall, this kit (which I have used in Honey and the lighter blonde shade) is the most effective bleaching kit I have ever bought. It has allowed me to go blonde AT HOME, avoiding hair stylists that don't listen and charge $$$ for highlights.

One final piece of advice (if you're like me and never do a strand test, listen up!): DO NOT rinse this out too early. It is better to have too-blonde hair than too-orange hair. Many times after using the MagiCap & this kit I come out of the shower to think "OMG, I look like a skunk!" thinking that my highlights are too light. This has NEVER been the case. They always blend beautifully, and I am relieved as soon as I blow dry it. Blonde hair can be toned. Orange hair, on the other hand, needs to be re-bleached and toned (or re-dyed to your base color, which sort of defeats the purpose of using this kit).

Good luck!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2008 9:27:00 AM More reviews by rebchandler

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, so used this product last night. Last time I had used it was about 15 years ago...and I remember it giving really good results...but I had pulled so many strands through the cap...that I was way too blonde! So, after reading all the great reviews on here...I decided to try it again.

I started out with almost black hair, straight, thick, shoulder length hair. I've been dying my hair routinely since I was 14 (a looonnnggg time ago)...so there are plenty of layers of semi-permanant and permanant hair color on my head right now!

Anyway, I bought the kit and a box of Natural Instincts in Sandalwood (dark ash blonde) to use as a toner if needed.

I used the highlighter as directed. The only difference I made was using a metal hook that I had bought a long time ago at Sally's. I pulled thin pieces of hair through every other hole and left the bleaching mixture on for 30 minutes total. The results afterward were pretty good. Most of my hair had lifted to a golden blonde color, with a few pieces underneath still being a little on the orange side. But, I followed it up with my Natural Instincts in Sandalwood...and that made all my highlights a nice, light caramely shade.

Any complaints? Well, if I had to pick out anything...it would be that you do have to be careful with the bleaching powder while mixing it. It's very easy to inhale that stuff & its not pleasant. And, yes, it is a pain pulling your hair through the back of the cap if you don't have anyone to help (which I didn't)...but it's do-able. Just have to stand with a mirror in one hand and the hook in the other & keep watching the back of your head in another mirror. Makes your arm sore...but that's a small price to pay for beauty! Oh & make sure you don't pull any loops of hair through the holes...you'll end up with polka-dots on your hair! The easiest way I've found to remedy this is after you pull your hair through the cap...take a boar-bristle type brush and brush all those strands you've pulled through. Keep brushing until you don't feel them catching on any hairs...and everything is silky and straight.

Overall, I am very pleased. I got all my products for about $15.00 and I have duplicated a look that I've walked out of a salon with for $120.00.

No complaints here...if I don't get bored with it before then...I plan to do more highlights in a couple of months!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by kittylitterdisco

my hair is naturally dark brown, nearly black and i ALWAYS buy the box made for the darkest hair (honey, i think it is...)
it lightens my hair to honey blonde. i don't ever use the cap, i've tried it once, the first time i bought it and it was too hard for me. i'm uncoordinated, obviously.
i figured the best way to get the effect i wanted was to smother my hair with it, EVERYWHERE. and so that is what i do. some parts naturally come out lighter than others, so it ends up looking natural.
once i even dyed my hair with chocolate cherry by feria, and the second it started fading away (2 weeks or less) i went and dyed my hair with frost n glow, not expecting anything to happen, since i'd dyed my hair dark, but lo and behold, my hair was light again!
i've never experienced brassyness, or excessive dryness. i've used this a bunch and my hair doesn't appear any more damaged.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2008 7:11:00 PM More reviews by solipglossed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this product after seeing the results on a customer. I loved it on her, and she had medium brown hair. I have auburn hair, and decided to get the box for brown hair(the honey highlights).

I didn't have a problem pulling my hair through the top, and sides of the cap but I had my mother do the back for me. We used every black circled hole. I had my mother apply the colour for me. I timed it for 30 minutes, and it was a bit brassy, so I left it on 15 more minutes, then rinsed, shampooed and conditioned as stated.

After blowdrying and straightening my hair I was very pleased with the results! It's a nice honey/caramel colour with a few lighter blonde pieces.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2008 7:37:00 PM More reviews by shylen8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I believe this is the best box highlighting kit on the market. Salon quality.

I have strawberry blonde hair but the highlights turned out a sort of platinum blonde. Looks great!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2008 9:01:00 AM More reviews by icinml

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I've been using this for a few years now & absolutely love it! My base color is a med. to dark mousey blond so I use the lightest kit about every 4 months. I want to add that it's pretty important to follow the directions regarding doing a strand test, especially if you've never used this before. It's the only way to gauge the time you need to leave this on to process to your desired level. For me, my time to leave it on to process is 38-40 minutes to get veeeery pale cream colored highlights without brassiness. Also, after I've freshly highlighted I use Phytology PhytoCitrus shampoo & hair mask for at least a week or 2 and it really helps to keep my highlights brighter in the long run. There's a pic of me in my profile (standing next to my sis who's a redhead ), for reference my hair in that pic is about 6 weeks after highlighting with this product.
This is a great highlighting kit, just follow the directions & keep it on for the amount of time indicated from your strand test & you're good to go.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2008 3:14:00 PM More reviews by maiseycat

I bought the box for dark brown to black hair (my natural color is dark brown). I had to give this a low rating because it barely did anything. I got some very subtle red highlights, but it was noticeable only to me. Maybe I shouldn't have used the toner shampoo, but I noticed my hair was looking really red, so I felt it was best to use it as instructed. I gave this a 2 instead of a 1 because I guess it could've been worse. Also, I've used the kit for dark blonde to dark brown hair (many years ago), and it turned out well. I didn't re-buy that one because I wanted a less dramatic look this time. So, I thought I'd get good results with this product, and am a little disappointed. I think next time I might try it and not use the toner shampoo. I bought the lighter kit, but am afraid to use it because I don't really want blonde. Ideally, I want caramelly highlights, but haven't seen many at-home products that will give me this. I'm afraid of the salon for highlighting because of past bad experiences.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2008 9:23:00 AM More reviews by emyj

Awesome results!! I have shoulder length brown hair (no blonde in it at all) and this was the first time I've used an at home highlighting kit and it turned out GREAT. Left it on for 40 minutes and came out with bright blonde highlights. Only thing I didn't like about this product was the plastic tool included used to pull your hair through the cap. Next time I use it I'll probably purchase a metal one from Sally's. I am more than pleased with the results! :]

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2008 6:46:00 PM More reviews by donna4ever

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Tried this on my blonde hair and it gave me very little color and I left it on the max of 60 min alot of damage for hardly no color at all. I would not buy this again.