Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

on 10/12/2008 3:42:00 PM

Let's face it - the prospect of bleaching/highlighting one's hair is not something most people take lightly. At the very least, you can end up with orange streaks and at the very worst, you can end up with fried hair that breaks off like the twig on a tree on a cold winter day in New Hampshire.

So why would anyone want to risk that to their hair to anything other than a professional highlighting service? The primary reason is that highlighting is expensive. This is not an issue when money is not an issue, however when budgets get tight, it's easy to forego the highlights and settle for just a single process color at the salon. However, in the name of beauty, one cannot always forego the highlights. Therefore, some of us are willing to take the plunge to go with an at-home product. This risk is especially easier to mitigate when you use a product that has already been tried and rated well on MUA.

Well, I was one of the MUA'ers who decided to take the plunge and here is my review. I purchased the Revlon Frost & Glow kit for Chestnut Highlights on Medium Brown to Black Hair.

I first colored my hair with Clairol Premium Creme Soy Complex. Please see my review on MUA:
My Review of Clairol Premium Soy Complex Hair Color

Please note that I didn't use any product like mousse or gel, and thoroughly dried my hair before DH and I started the highlighting process.

As per previous recommendations, I did purchase the Magicap from Sally's, however both DH and I discovered that one benefit from using the cap that was included with the Revlon kit was that it has a built in template to show you where to pull your hair through for highlights to frame the face, the crown, or all over. The Magicap is just a plain silicone cap with holes, and DH and I decided to use the Revlon cap instead, but only for that reason. The plan in the future is to mark the Magicap in permanent marker to show what sections to pull from.
One tip from DH: Poke holes in the Revlon cap before you put it on your head so that you're not fighting to poke a hole through the plastic and then pull your hair through. Believe me - your head will appreciate it!

Anyway, DH pulled strands with the metal hook that came with the Magicap, which was a little uncomfortable, but otherwise worked out well. We mixed the solution and DH applied it with a brush, and put the plastic bag (that comes with the kit) over my head and clipped it into place.

I processed for a harrowing 60 minutes. I kept checking every few minutes (through the bag) and it was clear that my hair hadn't lifted yet. Finally at 60 minutes, I hopped into the shower, and rinsed the product off. Taking the cap off was more difficult than I expected, and DH helped me by pulling the cap 90 degrees straight off my head.
I rinsed the solution off first as instructed, removed the cap, and then washed with the toner that was included and left it on for 5 minutes (even though the instructions said to leave it on for 2).

The results - subtle caramel highlights that blend in beautifully with no orange streaks and not a fried hair in sight.

I wouldn't go as far to say as they're "salon quality" only because DH is inexperienced (as am I) and I could see how technique goes a long way. If you (or a friend) knows how to foil highlights in, I would recommend that over the cap, however don't let that deter you. The cap method still produced great results, and I couldn't be happier! In the summer, I will probably move up to the Honey Highlights kit, which I would expect would provide more dramatic highlights.

Please see the pictures below for my experience with the Chestnut Highlights kit:

Items/Products I used:

Color I started with before highlighting (dark brown):

DH modeling the Magicap:

DH modeling the Revlon highlighting cap:

Me processing:

The results (hair blown dry with no product, so it's a bit frizzy):

continued >>

on 10/2/2008 12:49:00 PM

I am disgusted that I've spent probably thousands of dollars at the salon throughout my lifetime, when all the while this glorious product was sitting on the shelf at my local drugstore. I picked this up after reading the reviews here. After putting the cap on I realized that my patience level just wouldn't permit it, so I sent my boyfriend to the store to get me some regular old foil. I ripped them into squares and proceeded to foil my own highlights. I've watched my stylist doing it many times, so I had a pretty good understanding of how to do it. I parted my hair down the middle and switched from side to side, to make sure not one side had more processing time than the other. I didn't feel like bothering with the back of my head so I only did about 8 layers on the front, on either side. I was careful not to go right onto the scalp, and left a little room for the roots to show so it would look more natural ( I have dark blond hair). After washing it out and drying it I was so impressed! It seriously looks like I just came from the salon, and I didn't even do my whole head. I highly recommend this stuff, but get foil. It makes it easier and I think the results are a little more dramatic.

on 9/26/2008 11:58:00 AM

I desperately needed my salon highlights retouched, but am in a little bit of a money crunch and just couldn't bear to shell out the $75 + tip. I picked this highlight kit up at CVS for $10. Used it one weekend -- it took FOREVER for me to pull strands through the plastic cap with the hook, but I finally got the hang of it towards the end. It would have been really helpful to have a friends help with the back, but oh well, at least no one had to see me looking so silly in the plastic cap! Anyway, I have light brown, highlighted hair. I left the cream on for approx 25 minutes -- I hadn't checked on it in that time, and then FREAKED because my hair looked scarily platinum. Ripped the cap off, rinsed, used the shampoo and conditioner. And when I dried my hair... laaaa!! The highlights blended PERFECTLY with my grown-out salon highlights. And I've gotten SO MANY compliments on my hair color and questions about where I get it done. I am LOVING telling people that I colored it myself. I just can't wait to do it again. And I saved more than $65! Only problem is I don't know how to break it to my stylist that I'm cheating on her with a drugstore product :)

on 9/21/2008 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was so nervous about coloring my hair at home, but a friend recommended this product. It took a while to pull through the cap and I would highly recommend having someone help you with the back of your head. I would definitely use this product again!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This highlighting kit is the best I have ever tried! I completely agree with buying the MagiCap from Sally's Beauty Supply. It is SO MUCH EASIER than the lousy one from the kit. I have used this kit to highlight my hair (& 2 of my friends' hair) with the following methods:

1.) The first time, I used the cap and hook that come in the kit. It was horrible. I was close to tears! My hair was very long at the time (mid-chest) and pulling it through using a PLASTIC hook was a nightmare. I would only recommend doing it this way if you have very short & straight hair (think Audrey Hepburn).

2.) The second time, I tried the foil method. It turned out well, although I was mainly just touching up a few pieces on top. I also used this method for my friend Jen's hair- it turned out beautifully! I would definitely recommend this method as long as you are usually reasonably good with hair/makeup things (aka, if you can't apply liquid eyeliner properly or have trouble with a blowdryer/brush, stick to the MagiCap).

3.) After a few more times of foiling, I decided to freehand it completely. The bleach stayed put and didn't color the hair that the highlighted sections were resting on. I still used the plastic cover on my head to keep the heat/moisture in. If you don't do this, the bleach will be cold & dry and will not lighten your hair. I would recommend this for touching up roots/adding a few highlights.

4.) Finally, I bought the MagiCap. I paid $6 for it at Sally Beauty Supply. This is key to getting professional, salon-worthy highlights. It was SO much faster & less painful than using the lousy cap/hook in the kit. The one downfall of this is that it doesn't get as close to the roots as I would like (I have medium brown hair naturally and bleach it to a medium blonde, so this is important for my hair). I now alternate between the MagiCap (keeps my highlights even) and free-handing touch-ups (to get the roots & any spots that are starting to look to dark or too brassy). I usually use 1/2 the box for my past-the-shoulder, thick hair. If I used ALL of the bleach that came in the kit, my hair would probably be Marilyn-blonde by now...just something to keep in mind! :)

Overall, this kit (which I have used in Honey and the lighter blonde shade) is the most effective bleaching kit I have ever bought. It has allowed me to go blonde AT HOME, avoiding hair stylists that don't listen and charge $$$ for highlights.

One final piece of advice (if you're like me and never do a strand test, listen up!): DO NOT rinse this out too early. It is better to have too-blonde hair than too-orange hair. Many times after using the MagiCap & this kit I come out of the shower to think "OMG, I look like a skunk!" thinking that my highlights are too light. This has NEVER been the case. They always blend beautifully, and I am relieved as soon as I blow dry it. Blonde hair can be toned. Orange hair, on the other hand, needs to be re-bleached and toned (or re-dyed to your base color, which sort of defeats the purpose of using this kit).

Good luck!

on 9/12/2008 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Okay, so used this product last night. Last time I had used it was about 15 years ago...and I remember it giving really good results...but I had pulled so many strands through the cap...that I was way too blonde! So, after reading all the great reviews on here...I decided to try it again.

I started out with almost black hair, straight, thick, shoulder length hair. I've been dying my hair routinely since I was 14 (a looonnnggg time ago)...so there are plenty of layers of semi-permanant and permanant hair color on my head right now!

Anyway, I bought the kit and a box of Natural Instincts in Sandalwood (dark ash blonde) to use as a toner if needed.

I used the highlighter as directed. The only difference I made was using a metal hook that I had bought a long time ago at Sally's. I pulled thin pieces of hair through every other hole and left the bleaching mixture on for 30 minutes total. The results afterward were pretty good. Most of my hair had lifted to a golden blonde color, with a few pieces underneath still being a little on the orange side. But, I followed it up with my Natural Instincts in Sandalwood...and that made all my highlights a nice, light caramely shade.

Any complaints? Well, if I had to pick out anything...it would be that you do have to be careful with the bleaching powder while mixing it. It's very easy to inhale that stuff & its not pleasant. And, yes, it is a pain pulling your hair through the back of the cap if you don't have anyone to help (which I didn't)...but it's do-able. Just have to stand with a mirror in one hand and the hook in the other & keep watching the back of your head in another mirror. Makes your arm sore...but that's a small price to pay for beauty! Oh & make sure you don't pull any loops of hair through the holes...you'll end up with polka-dots on your hair! The easiest way I've found to remedy this is after you pull your hair through the cap...take a boar-bristle type brush and brush all those strands you've pulled through. Keep brushing until you don't feel them catching on any hairs...and everything is silky and straight.

Overall, I am very pleased. I got all my products for about $15.00 and I have duplicated a look that I've walked out of a salon with for $120.00.

No complaints here...if I don't get bored with it before then...I plan to do more highlights in a couple of months!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

my hair is naturally dark brown, nearly black and i ALWAYS buy the box made for the darkest hair (honey, i think it is...)
it lightens my hair to honey blonde. i don't ever use the cap, i've tried it once, the first time i bought it and it was too hard for me. i'm uncoordinated, obviously.
i figured the best way to get the effect i wanted was to smother my hair with it, EVERYWHERE. and so that is what i do. some parts naturally come out lighter than others, so it ends up looking natural.
once i even dyed my hair with chocolate cherry by feria, and the second it started fading away (2 weeks or less) i went and dyed my hair with frost n glow, not expecting anything to happen, since i'd dyed my hair dark, but lo and behold, my hair was light again!
i've never experienced brassyness, or excessive dryness. i've used this a bunch and my hair doesn't appear any more damaged.

on 7/26/2008 7:11:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I bought this product after seeing the results on a customer. I loved it on her, and she had medium brown hair. I have auburn hair, and decided to get the box for brown hair(the honey highlights).

I didn't have a problem pulling my hair through the top, and sides of the cap but I had my mother do the back for me. We used every black circled hole. I had my mother apply the colour for me. I timed it for 30 minutes, and it was a bit brassy, so I left it on 15 more minutes, then rinsed, shampooed and conditioned as stated.

After blowdrying and straightening my hair I was very pleased with the results! It's a nice honey/caramel colour with a few lighter blonde pieces.

on 7/17/2008 7:37:00 PM

I believe this is the best box highlighting kit on the market. Salon quality.

I have strawberry blonde hair but the highlights turned out a sort of platinum blonde. Looks great!!

on 7/9/2008 9:01:00 AM

I've been using this for a few years now & absolutely love it! My base color is a med. to dark mousey blond so I use the lightest kit about every 4 months. I want to add that it's pretty important to follow the directions regarding doing a strand test, especially if you've never used this before. It's the only way to gauge the time you need to leave this on to process to your desired level. For me, my time to leave it on to process is 38-40 minutes to get veeeery pale cream colored highlights without brassiness. Also, after I've freshly highlighted I use Phytology PhytoCitrus shampoo & hair mask for at least a week or 2 and it really helps to keep my highlights brighter in the long run. There's a pic of me in my profile (standing next to my sis who's a redhead ), for reference my hair in that pic is about 6 weeks after highlighting with this product.
This is a great highlighting kit, just follow the directions & keep it on for the amount of time indicated from your strand test & you're good to go.