April 21, 2014 | 954 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2011 2:38:00 AM More reviews by GetSmart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a nice lipstick, intensely pigmented, but as a result of being so highly matte and pigmented, is a bit dry. And it feels dry on the lips, too.

These lipsticks cost a lot in Australia... would I buy it again? Prob not, because I can get a high quality, matte, pigmented lipstick for much cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2011 2:06:00 AM More reviews by sweetascocoa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

If you don't have this, go get it. I received this in a swap, and I love it. It makes me look classic. It looks like pretty true red, on me. It pulls ever so slightly burgundy. Just slightly. It doesn't look coralmor orange on me, at all. But, it does look great when paired with an orange blush.
NC50

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by AllieFree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This lipstick is awesome! I had been looking for a vintage red lipstick for awhile, which led me to search all over the internet for the BEST one & Ruby Woo is what I found. It is a very dry lipstick, so it will take a couple swipes to get the color where you want it to be, but I found that using the MAC Prep and Prime (Or even Burt's Bees) makes this lipstick slide on & stay forever. I can eat & drink with this lipstick without losing color. Also, I love the matte finish. I feel it really adds to the retro aspect of red lipstick. There is no shine or cream factor to Ruby Woo, so if you are looking for that go a different route. I use MAC Cherry Lipliner with this product & it works great. Makes my teeth look so white & my thin lips look very full. Overall, I will repurchase when I run low on Ruby Woo.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2011 6:59:00 AM More reviews by fudgebrownie19

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The PERFECT shade of red on me. I took a lippie off only because its drying, but then that's the price you pay for really long lasting color.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2011 11:57:00 PM More reviews by troubleinlipstick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Its fifteen bucks but well worth it. I have dark hair and am like a medium fair skin. Not milk pale but not tan. I always get compliments on it every where I go. Its the only red I wear actually only lipstick I wear. People always tell me I look like snow white when I wear it and 4 friends bought it after seeing it on me. It looked nice on all of them and some were dark skinned. One is African American and the color looked just as pretty on her. So I believe it suits everyone. It's just about how comfy you are with such a bright red. I buy four at a time cuz its so beautiful lol. Very drying but any lip balm under it helps. It you don't eat it will literally last ALL day. You can drink stuff and it won't wear off at all cuz its so dry the staying power is great. I do find after like seven hours it starts feeling cakey on my lips. I like to wipe it off then and reapply. It does not bleed and it's a TRUE MATTE . Russian red is a semi matte in my book. . A little brighter then russian red but both really nice. I think ruby woo actually has clay in it, not sure but I believe I read that somewhere.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 2:23:00 PM More reviews by Paavaki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Amazing color and so so matte (real definition of matte). Its very drying though, but a little lip balm before it makes it such a perfect red. It just looks so beautiful. Brightens up my complexion (NC 30 for ref) . Must have in red-lipstick collection. Its a true deep vermilion color. I think the super matte formula is its main X factor. Best red ever. Must must have for everybody. It stays like a champ for atleast 7 hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2011 11:44:00 PM More reviews by thelove4tequila

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this lipstick. It is absolutely HG for me. It is super matte. I have never came across another lipstick that is so matte. It is a very dry lipstick and I can understand that may bother some people because it doesn't have much moisture it to and your lips may feel like raisins. Simple fix, apply balm before application and your good to go! I have received so many compliments when I wear RW. RW is a classic matte red that will look amazing on anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2011 11:09:00 PM More reviews by FaBuLuSh1987

I am a brunette, NC 25-35 RED lip ADDiCT! I own MAC l/s in: Russian Red (matte blue based), Viva Glam I (matte intense brownish blue-red), Diva; I own MAC l/l in Redd (IMO more of a yellow based red, but still AMAZING), cherry (vivid bright bluish-red; haven't used it yet) and cremestick liner in Enriched Red (rich auburn); Revlon l/s in: Fire & Ice (a FAB DUPE for MAC Lady Danger), Certainly Red (creamy blue based red) and [Revlon Colorburst] True Red (very slick, almost gloss like true red)...the lippies run the spectrum of red!!
**A lot of ppl keep saying that RW is a blue based red, BUT on the MAC website it is described as a Vivid bright coral-red!**
I agree with everyone when they say that this is a DRY MATTE lippie (please exfoliate your lips first and use a GOOD lip balm/conditioner)! But the color is sooo worth it! Granted it'll look different on different skintones and hair colors!
On me (i was wearing lip balm, didn't pale out my lips- they have a rosy pink pigment naturally), it looked like that BEAUTFUL color of a perfectly ripened RED strawberry- however i gently pat the color straight from the tube to my lips- it's pretty pigmented! The more it is layered the more rich the color looks- it is the most beautiful shade of red! I can't wait to play around with it!! HOWEVER, i do wish that MAC made it in an amplified cream formula!! Ugh, how i LOVE the color!! Stay beautiful MUA lovelies!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2011 11:00:00 PM More reviews by theamazinganna

I was always very hesitant about wearing bright red lipstick, but recently I mustered up the courage to buy myself this shade.

I instantly fell in love with it. I love that it goes on matte, and the color is a very dark red shade. It looks very sexy and definitely not for the faint-hearted. It's an attention grabber and so I wear it when I'm feeling sexy, or even when I'm feeling blah and need a dab of color in my life. It has a very retro/glamorous feel to it. Whenever I wear this, I make sure that the rest of my face is played down. Just mascara, and sometimes I lightly line my eyes.

Tip: You just have to be very careful when you wear lipstick this dark and this matte, make sure your lips aren't dry and chapped or else it's not going to look good. I suggest exfoliating your lips using a sugar+honey or sugar+petroleum jelly scrub and swiping on some lip balm before putting this on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2011 6:50:00 PM More reviews by csquared14

Ruby Woo is not for the faint-hearted--when you put it on, it screams "hello, world, I am wearing lipstick." That said, I am NOT a lipstick girl, and I took to it immediately. It's a classic, bright red with blue-undertones (slightly brighter than its sister, Russian Red), and is surprisingly easy to wear. When I'm dressing up, I layer it with lipliner, but when I wear it during the normal day, I usually just put it on my bare lip for a slightly less "done" look. Either way, it pops right off your face, and be prepared for people to comment on it. It is very, very matte, and therefore can be a bit drying. I tend to put a dab of clear gloss on the center of my lips when I wear it just because the feeling of dryness on my lips gets to me a bit. However, because it's so matte and dry, it has great staying-power. It's not advertised as a long-wearing lipstick, but it lasts for hours--through meals, coffee, etc (obviously, layering it with gloss decreases the staying power a bit, but it's still impressive).

This is my lipstick now, and I don't anticipate becoming unfaithful anytime soon. It's like a boost of sexy and confidence in a cute package. At $15 US, it's also not all that pricey. I 100% recommend, especially if you're like me and were a bit afraid to go the lipstick route at first. It makes a splash, but seems to be universally flattering (if what I've read on here is true) and is so easy to wear.