MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 4/13/2013 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

This lipstick is THE lipstick to have. Everyone needs to at least have experimented with the oh so famous Ruby Woo. It's a matte, medium blue toned red that compliments so many different complexions (MAC NW43). So many people complain about the drying formula which is very understandable but in MAC's defense, it does state on the packaging 'retro matte' and that does indicate what formula you're bound to work with. It's so important to prep yo' lips before wearing this though, it has such a tendency to cling on to the driest and flakiest parts of the lips... I even had friends with Ruby Woo on and was too afraid to mention the very obvious flaky particles on their lips *sigh* ^_^
But if you are willing to go through the hassle... it is 100% worth it, I'm in love with the matte finish, not to mention it lasts all day!

on 4/9/2013 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I have to admit this color is frustrating. It looks so nice on lighter skin but the the formula is drying. Luckily you can layer it over a lip balm and it has great staying power. Its a color that I can wear without having to touch it up too often if I wear it over a lip liner as well. I recommend Cherry lip liner to wear with this color. Its a nice blue red and has a classic look to it.

on 4/6/2013 3:54:00 PM

FAVORITE red lipstick! Yes, it is drying, but I do believe that it helps stay a ton longer because of its dryness. I pair this with MAC Cherry lipliner. :) My go-to red lip!

on 4/3/2013 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I am in deep love with this lipstick! It is the PERFECT red with a blue undertone. I wouldn't be able to say how many hours I've spent on Google trying to find out the perfect red for a brown skinned girl (MAC matchmaster 9.0) and when I saw Ruby Woo on some girl on YT I could not wait for the next morning so I can run to the MAC store!

It's the 50's kind of red, he pin-up red, the Marilyn Monroe or Elizabeth Taylor kind of red. Old and classy Hollywood.
It's not just a red people definitely stare at your lips when you are talking, trying to find out what's so charming about that red!

It's SUPEEEER lasting and has near to zero transfer: kissing, drinking off of a can, on a straw or plastic cup, almost nothing!

I just hate it when people compare Ruby Woo to Russian red, they are so different! And to my surprise, not even one swatch of Ruby Woo is fair to its true color (yup, not even the one from macosmetics.com!) you really have to walk into a MAC store to see for yourself how amazing it is.

Alright, now after all the loving, here's the one thing I HATE: the incredible dryness. You will read on many websites how dry Ruby Woo is and think "It can't be that bad, I can handle it." well you're in for a surprise! It IS that bad! I never had anything that dry on. It is powdery, chalky, Sahara-dry. No matter how moisturized my lips are, they become flaky after an hour or so of wearing Ruby Woo.

We all know that red lipsticks and matte lipsticks are a commitment, you need to prep&prime, moisturize and exfoliate your lips AND THEN maintain the color as you are wearing it. But Ruby Woo takes the whole thing to another level: you will get paranoid, and go check in the mirror every half hour to make sure there's no red flakes on your lips, and I don't know the worse part: seeing them or FEELING the million of dry flakes moving on your lips as you speak.

Even after all that, is it still my absolute favorite red? YES
Is it worth the once in while hassle? YES

This color is a commitment, you gotta have the guts to rock it flawlessly (flake-less-ly too!)

*UPDATE* I found my perfect moisturizing routine! I have been wearing Ruby Woo since 12 hours now and not a SINGLE flake or sing of dryness, awesome! Like me, try a 100% bio shea butter lip balm as an overnight lips mask and then in the morning just put a little bit on before applying the RW. Not too much though so you don't lose the matte effect.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

For the perfect pin up lips... My absolute fav !!!!

on 3/28/2013 10:31:00 PM

Hands down, the best of the best red lipstick out there. not to mention RW is Rihanna's favourite red lipstick!!
love everything about this lipstick, it can be drying sometimes but at least for me that's not a big problem. Can't wait for Riri Woo to be released =p

on 3/28/2013 3:42:00 PM

What to say about this cult favorite?
I adore it. Such a beautiful blue toned red. I am absolutely in love with it. It's very very very matte, very. But that's what I love about it. I wear it on itself. Next to Viva Glam 1 this is the best red lipstick EVER.

on 3/27/2013 6:27:00 AM

I'm an NC15 in MAC Studio fix, and have spent the last year on a lipstick kick. I've tried loads of different colours but always end up back at Ruby Woo. It's a classic retro blue-red, so makes your teeth look sparkly white. It is very dry, so make sure you exfoliate and moisturise your lips beforehand or it will show up every flaw. Because it is a matt lipstick it will stay on all night. I use this with MAC Cherry lipliner for an amazing bright retro red colour. I didn't give this full marks because of how drying it is.

on 3/14/2013 10:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Indeed it's a pretty colour but this matte texture is so dry that it doesn't last long so long. If you're not so much about the colour I recommend you try Russian Red ;)

on 3/12/2013 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I used to consider revlon's really red as my HG red. A beautiful and classy red but it dried my lips out so badly. When I first got ruby woo I was disgusted with how it dragged across my lips....it is not matte...it is a stick of color that drags painfully. But of course the red held up all day and did not make my lips flake and dry like revlon. It is such a beautiful color and I get so many stares from men and women alike when I wear it. It flatters my yellow toned nc30 skin and I bet will look even better in the winter with my nc25 tone. I layer revlon lip butter in tutti fruity over this and it looks absolutely juicy and a fresh spin on a classic red. Not too cool toned and never turns fuchsia. I'm impressed. It is bold but not crash.

Popular Lipsticks