July 30, 2014 | 2008 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2012 9:44:00 AM More reviews by sampam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great matte foundation:-) super coverage, never broken me out. have been using this on and off for 2 years.
Highly recommend this foundation for anyone with oily skin, be careful if you have dry skin, it may look too matte and made up.

Overall rating: VERY good.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by B1P14

Seriously LOVE this foundation. Because i'm acne prone and still have light scarring on my jawline, this foundation has been a god send for me! It covers up everything! And although it is very heavy makeup, if applied the correct way it can still look natural. Firstly, as this foundation is thick, it can look very cakey if you're not careful, so in order to avoid this it is VITAL to apply a primer or moisturizer beforehand. Then I use the Estee Lauder Foundation Brush and take a tiny bit of foundation ( a little goes a LONG way, trust me) and work it into my skin. Finally I use a stippling brush to buff the foundation into the skin and give a more natural and airbrush finish. I find that doing this really makes your makeup appear flawless as opposed to cakey while also covering blemishes. If you are like me and have been troubled with blemishes and even acne, then you will understand how difficult it is to find a foundation that actually covers unslightly things such as acne breakouts. Many drug store foundations and even brands such as MAC, claim to be ''heavy coverage'' yet blemishes are still really visable. Not with this.. this really does cover and hide things you wish to be covered.

I wouldn't recommend this foundation for anyone with clear skin, this is simply way too heavy and may even make you break out. This foundation should only really be used if you have problematic skin and want to cover blemish scars or existing blemishes.. For that it is PERFECT.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Georgia955

Such a good foundation. Lovely consistency, great staying power and fantastic coverage. Only con is it can look a bit too powdery/cakey if too much is applied. I love the new formula also, i find i get allot more coverage and i use allot less than what i did with the old formula. Would definatly recommend this foundation for someone who likes a full coverage and a matte finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 5:07:00 AM More reviews by nwild

Before this foundation I was a supermarket foundation kind of girl. I got fed up with foundations sliding off my face and changing colour during the day and ended up at the David Jones counter seeking advice. This was suggested and since then I'm onto my third bottle. My favourite thing about this foundation is it's lasting power. I'm a school teacher and can get pretty tired and sweaty by the end of the day. I find I can put this on at 7am, touch up my nose and forehead with powder at lunch and still look fresh late that night.
The foundation has a fairly matte finish, without ever looking powdery. The lady at David Jones told me to apply the foundation just before my moisturiser fully soaked in. This gives you more time to play and apply it on your face as once it's set it's set. I also find that by using extra moisturiser I can getting a sheerer, more luminous look, where if I use less, or let it dry all the way, I can achieve a more matte look.
I can see that some may struggle with the bottle, as it doesn't have a pump, but I actually feel this means you waste less product. I apply it with my fingers, just tipping the bottle upside down onto my pointer finger. I keep baby wipes on my dressing table to then easily clean my hands. While fairly expensive, $60 in Australia, one bottle lasts me almost a year, and that's wearing it everyday.
This is an extremely hard working foundation that I recommend fully.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 1:41:00 AM More reviews by ldiaz2012

I looooove this!!! After reading all of the GREAT reviews this product has gotten I decided to purchase it.

The things I like: its medium to full coverage, buildable, hides imperfections well (blemishes,
acne scars), provides a smooth foundation base and it has no smell.

I am still having trouble finding the right method to apply this foundation. Because it does dry quick, I would not recommend using a stippling brush. I've been using my fingers and so far this has given me the most clean and natural finish. It is a tad bit pricey at $36.00 but well worth it. I use MAC NC35 and use DW Tawny.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2012 12:43:00 AM More reviews by nygrlnca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far I am loving all the new shades...i used to use double matte a million years ago but all the colours were pink based...but so was everything at the time. It covers and smooths out all my acne marks without looking like a mask but it does seem to look a little white in pics. I like that it holds up against my super oily skin and the color match is pretty close to skin tone.I haven't broken out from it yet but will update soon. The packaging is ok but needs a pump...I'm glad I still had my MAC one because it fits...you just have to cut the tube a little to fit in the EL bottle.
Edit: It looks so fake on my skin...like a mask! I have tried changing shades and different applications and I can't get it to look even remotely natural... I really wished it could work for me:(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by ploydise

I love this product very much. I've finished about 3 or more bottles already. I wear make-up almost everyday and it does not break me out. However, this product is suitable for oily skin. Please be sure your skin is moisturized before applying it. If your skin is very dry and flaky, I do not reccommend because it will make your face look cakey and too made up.

I live in Thailand and the weather is VERY HOT so I'm sure it will last :). I only use blotting paper and touch up with loose powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by oonaghst

I prefer the reformulated version, I think it's got a bit more slip and is less heavy and less drying than the original. This suits me as I've got quite dry, mature skin and as long as I'm well moisturised beforehand, this foundation looks awesome and only a tiny bit is needed for a smooth, flawless and natural finish. I could never be matched colourwise before - I mean it was close, but never quite right, so I am sooo pleased to find that one of the new colours (beige) now matches me exactly. It's become my 'to go' foundation - love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 2:44:00 AM More reviews by xochristyxo

I LOVE this foundation and I'm hard to please. It lasts all day and has great coverage. I think it is one of the best foundations I've tried it all from almost every drugstore brand to Chanel Mac lancome ect..I also have the double wear light for days I don't want as much coverage but still lasts all day. I highly recommend this foundation. I have not yet found anything better. Also the MAC pumps fit on this bottle which makes it better but I'd prefer it come with the foundation already since its a bit pricey.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Labloah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've fallen in love with Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation, it's become one of those make up items I can see myself never wanting to be without, ever. I've been looking for a long wearing foundation that will last through a work day (I have a very physical job and can get sweaty, especially in summer, and most foundations just don't hold up). Up until this, I had been using MAC's Studio Fix powder, as it was full coverage and easy to touch up on the go, but would find I'd need to touch up two or three times over the day, even with primer and setting spray. But this is the ants pants, the foundation I've wished for but could never find. I never thought I'd find something.This stuff lasts, for hours and hours and hours. I can sleep in this and wake up still wearing it,

The colour range is good, from very pale, to very dark, and a nice selection of cool, warm and neutrals. I'm using Tawny, 3W1, which is a nice match for my gold, rose and peach undertones. Matches almost perfectly with my MAC Studio Fix in NC40

The best part though is the finish, there's a bit of sheen while it's going on, during application it is quite "wet" looking, but once it's dried down and set, it's almost matte and looks just like flawless skin. You do get a reasonable amount of working time for a long wear product too (though not as much as a regular liquid would give you), it doesn't set lightening fast, so you have enough time to blend it over your full face, though I do find it works best applying in sections. I find I get the nicest application with a duo fibre/stipple brush, as it allows me to stipple it on to disperse the colour evenly, then buff into place for a flawless finish. A foundation brush is good for applying too, and will be a little heavier in colour distribution, but doesn't give you the end result a stipple brush will. I've also tried with a flat top buffer, and that gives a nice coverage and finish too, plus I find using either the stipple or buffer, a quick spritz with water on the bristles will help to give a nice fluid coverage without the brush soaking up product. I blot over the top with rice powder while it's still moist looking to really set it well and to mattify further, and then brush any excess powder off with a large fan brush. Despite being a longwear, medium to high coverage foundation, it's not at all cakey, the finish is smooth, flawless, and just perfect. It doesn't make your face feel like a caked on, heavy foundation either, it still feels breathable, lightweight and flexible. And the best, best part? It lasts, truly lasts, and doesn't flake, crack, ball up, get cakey, or wear away oddly like some heavy coverage/longwear foundations do. It's just perfection. I do find if I need a little touch up on high wear areas like nose, chin and forehead if I've had a particularly warm day, I can get away with a little bit of MAC Studio Fix powder just on those areas, as mentioned previously, NC40 is a really good match with the Tawny.

If you're after a more natural look, it may not be for you, but it does come in a light variation (which I haven't tried).

Only down sides for me are the fact that it is so long lasting, it is a little difficult to remove, you need to wash your face well with a suitable cleanser, and a wash cloth definitely helps to remove it, or a cleansing brush. It's also a bit hard to remove from brushes, the fine bristles of the stipple brush I use can get quite hard and caked on if I don't wash it thoroughly straight after application, and if you leave it and don't wash immediately, it will dry hard on the brush. It can be removed through washing, but it does require just a little more effort than most. But it's a price I'm willing to pay for perfect foundation. I really only use my cheapest e.l.f brushes should it have any adverse long term effects on the brushes.

So if you're looking for long wearing, comfortable, flawless foundation, definitely give this a try. In Australia, Double Wear has seen a recent permanent price drop down from $68Au to $50Au, making it comparable to the MAC foundation I was wearing, and only about $12 more than Revlon's Colourstay, one of the other highly recommended long wear liquids (having only nine shades of Colourstay in Australia, it was very hard to find a match, and the finish was a little patchy on my skin). It's definitely worth that little bit extra.