Estee Lauder Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

New as of :)12/2012:Ingredients: water/aqua/eau, cyclopentasiloxane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, butylene glycol, tribehnin, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, polymethylsilsequioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xantham gum, alumina, sodium dehydroacetate, disteardimonium hectorite, cellulose gum, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, phenoxyethanol, [+/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891)] Original: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 1.00% INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA PURIFICATA) PURIFIED, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE,TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, TRIBEHENIN, PEG/PPG-20/20 DIMETHICONE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, METHICONE, LAURETH-7, XANTHAN GUM, ALUMINA, BHT, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, CHLOROXYLENOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, [ /-(MAY CONTAIN)IRON OXIDES(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), MICA, TITANI DIOXIDE (CI 77891)]

on 8/17/2012 9:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

While coverage, lasting-power, hold, and oil-control are great, this just doesn't work for me. After several hours, I find that my foundation starts to separate in oilier areas like on my nose, cheeks, and chin. It's terribly embarrassing and looks horrible :( Other aspects that make this a dud for me are: I can't find a shade that matches, it makes me look like I'm wearing a mask, and it feels uncomfortable on my skin because it feels thick, though the consistency is not bad.

on 8/16/2012 7:21:00 PM

Estee Lauder Double Wear offers the best coverage on the market. It covers all imperfections, leaving you with flawless looking skin. I have dry skin and acne which made me hesitant to try this product because of the matte finish. The matte finish doesn't exacerbate any dryness (even without using primer) and the foundation lasts me all day! The first time I wore this foundation, my boyfriend commented that my skin looked incredible! Because if you apply it carefully with a brush the foundation becomes imperceptible. Yes, this foundation is that amazing. I don't know how I ever lived without it!

For reference: I wear EL Double Wear in 2N1, MAC NC 25-30, Chanel B30, YSL 04 (Sand), Laura Mercier Silk Creme Bamboo Beige, Cle De Peau 020.

on 8/15/2012 8:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I used to be a Revlon Colourstay user. It was a good product, was discontinued. Then I found this one, is an excellent foundation, doesn't turn orange after some time, I use it without worries, it is very stable and looks natural. I used to love Colourstay but compared to this one, Double Wear gives me a more natural finish, it doesn't make my face dry. It is like a second skin. I use this one in Sand and put a Channel Sabre powder foundation Mat Lumiere on on the top and the duo combo just subtract years from my face. Peoples can't believe that I am not that young and can't tell much that I am wearing 2 foundations. My place here is humid, hot and the makeup just stay on after hours. I highly recommend the Double Wear.

on 8/15/2012 6:13:00 AM

This is my hg liquid foundation. Great coverage, long lasting (usually wear 12+ hours most days), great color match, does not make me oily, n most importantly, does not break my skin out (as long as I wash it completely off). I use my fingers to put it on and I found this to be the best method so far. Of course, towards the end of the night it doesn't look as perfect as when you first put it on, but it never slides off my face or transfers off clothes/or pillow..unless you're reallly sweating haha. it does have a tendency to make you look too flat, but I use bronzer and highlighters to fix that, and the foundation looks better after about 1r5 minutes. i don't need concealer because I use a little extra of this and pat it on any trouble spots. As others have mentioned, i hate that it doesn't come with a pump, so I use Mac's foundation pump...My perfect shade in this is Sand. i am NC25, 021 in Dior

on 8/11/2012 5:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Even though I loooooove this foundation... I think it's too heavy for everyday. Just look at the consistency of it.. It is very thick.

I do love the fact that it stays on for ever. Even with my oily skin.
The shine throughout the day is minimal.

I apply it with an elf stippling brush.
Could be that with a different application the finish will be more natural and less heavy.
However I havent found that right application then...

I am not saying it's a bad foundation!!! But too heavy for a daily use i think!

I really like this foundation as it gives heavy coverage without looking cakey on my face. It covers up my freckles and spots and usually lasts all day long - a major plus as other foundations I've tried have not. I usually just set my foundation with powder to give me a matte look but I think the foundation is quite matte itself anyway. A negative about this foundation is that they don't have a shade light enough for my skin tone as 1C1 Shell is slightly too dark but a much better match than 1N1 Ecru as that was initially "matched" to me in the shop but was completely wrong. Also would be handy if the packaging came with a pump as sometimes too much foundation can come out the bottle and go to waste. I think the price is suitable to pay as it is such a good quality foundation and if I could find a shade light enough OR just accept the fact that I will not get a perfect match I will buy this again. I'm on my 4th or 5th bottle of it!

on 8/10/2012 8:41:00 AM

This is my go to foundation, It goes on smooth, feels nice on and gives me lovely coverage that lasts.

I would say this is a heavy coverage foundation which I prefer to hide some of my freckles.

I don't really rate the packaging however, glass bottle not great for travelling. I believe that the same company own MAC and Estee Lauder and I have been told that the pump you can buy at the MAC counter works for this also. I have not bought one though, but I should.

I would recommend this foundation to anyone who wants a full coverage foundation

on 8/8/2012 2:45:00 PM

I said I wouldn't buy this foundation again, but a more accurate answer is "maybe." I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation. First of all, it feels like slapping oily putty on your face and when it dries down, it feels like you have a clay mask on. If you are like me, you will feel like your face must have turned into a cakey mess and run for the nearest mirror, only to find that you still look flawless. This foundation is bombproof. This foundation, and pretty much the rest of whatever makeup you put on top of this, won't budge until you take it off. I've worn it to funerals, overnight camping trips (I was younger, please don't judge), full days of doing highlights and blowouts in the salon in the middle of summer, my wedding, anything where I need to look to good and need to know that my makeup won't move. Its great for after hangovers, covering acne, eczema, dark circles, texture issues - whatever. It will make you look porcelain doll perfect, no matter what is going on underneath. It is also my go to foundation for when I know I will be having my picture taken.
Now you might be thinking to yourself, "Wow, so what is the problem? What is to hate?" Like I mentioned before, it feels awful on your skin, very heavy and kind of tight. And whenever I used this foundation longterm, my skin never looked good. It was like I could not ever get it truly clean. I had the same issues with my foundation brushes...like trying to clean skin colored glue off of them. And I used an oil cleanser for my face and olive oil and dish soap for my brushes!
Bottom line...its not terribly expensive. But I really would not recommend it for daily wear. But its not a bad foundation to keep in your kit for those days when you really need it.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I had this foundation applied by the Estee Lauder consultant in Boots, after the Boots no. 7 consultant told me it was supposed to be a brilliant foundation! I have never had a problem with being allergic to any foundation in the past, but over the course of the afternoon (I had it done in my lunch break) my face felt itchy and tight and if I had been at home I would have cleansed my face to remove it. I didn't even like the effect of it as it was shiny which I did not want. Added to this, it didn't even cover well, so all in all I would definitely never buy it again or recommend it.

I have been looking for a good foundation with medium to full coverage as my skin tone has become uneven (the ageing process unfortunately!). Since I stopped taking HRT my skin has become much dryer and I want something that will not settle in lines and make my skin look worse. Since my skin has changed I have stopped using loose translucent powder over my foundation as I found that made my skin look worse, so I am looking for a foundation that will not be shiny nor too matte and dead looking. I am very confused by everything available! I was told by a Clinique consultant that I could still use a loose powder with light reflecting particles as that would make my skin look younger. I have tried 3 different Clinique foundations none of which have been suitable, as either too shiny or not enough coverage. I am using the Clinique dark spot corrector so hope this will soon start working. I would appreciate any help from other MakeupAlley reviewers. Thanks.

on 8/7/2012 5:35:00 PM

I duno what took me so long to finally try this foundation after i spent so much money trying a ton that don't work. I am acne prone, combination skin type with alot of current and past dark marks which i have try to cover with numerous foundation. The ones with good coverage tends to settle alot at dry scappy spots while others with lighter coverage that i had to spend long long time putting concealer on every single spots. And finally this foundation is workingggggg!!!!! I still have to use concealer but not nearly as much as before. The only thing is that i'm between colors so i had to buy two different colors (tawny and shell beige) and i'm an NC30. And another problem i have with it is that it's so matte that it looks very thick and shows every bumps on my face. But it's so hard for me to find a foundation that can blend so well on my face and do not bother my skin so i try to work with it to acquire the kind of finish i'm hoping for. At last i mix it with two drops of a liquid luminizer and the outcome is beautifulllll!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE: took two lippes out because it's quite drying as weather becomes colder.....and also not a fan of the flat matte finish......so everyday i had to mix it with luminizer and serum to make it work which is a hassle and expensive.......moved on to Nar's sheer glow...

Video Reviews & Tutorials