I got this for $16 on the Crush Cosmetics website and i absolutely love it! It mattifies my skin and leaves it looking smooth and silky! I used this over my liquid foundation so set it. And it gives a very natural and flawless look. When i want more coverage i would also use a powder foundation over my liquid foundation but i still finish off the look with this HD powder! Its Amazing! Worth my money! I love the packaging as well. The little black box gives it this high end feeling. It does get a little messy, just got to make sure you don't peel the sticker on the sifter all the way
While I love the look, feel, and finish of this powder, no matter how much I buff this out it always leaves a white-ish cast to my skin, especially in the summer when I like to use it most. However I have yet to find a white "translucent" powder that doesn't. I guess I'm just a little dark for these products. Still love it though!
I don't wear primer, foundation, or any of that stuff.. just this powder. Makes my face look flawless and keeps it un-oily (most of the time). It makes my skin feel and look super soft, and a little paler (which I like). If you have normal or oily skin this works wonderfully. If you have combo or dry skin..the powder shows and seems to magnify each and every dry flakey skin spot, which sucks. Moisturize before applying and that helps a bit. Very affordable at only $6! I've tried a few different finishing powders (high end) but I always come back to this one because it works better and is cheaper.
I agree with the previous reviewer in that E.L.F. products either blow your freakin' mind or just plain blow. :)
That being said, this powder is amazing!! I don't wear heavy foundation but have tried sooo many different powders only to be disappointed. Smashbox, Stila, R&R just to name a few of the recent ones! I first got this as a swap evener and loved it so much that I ordered a new one. Prior to finding this I was content with my Kryolan anti-shine powder but E.L.F. seems to be more finely milled and leaves me less ghostly. I also bought the E.L.F. studio kabuki brush to apply it with and it's like putting on your makeup with angel wings and butterfly kisses - so soft! I'm thrilled to have finally found something that works for me!
I read some of the other reviews about the packaging being messy, so I only cut about a quarter of the plastic seal off. This helps immensely!
I just received an order of the color correcting yellow HD powder and love it even more than the original! It really evens out my skin tone and warms me up, yay! continued >>
E.L.F. Cosmetics is one of those inexpensive brands where the products are either completely awesome, or a total waste of money and potentially an insult to the consumers intelligence. Their mineral line, for the most part, has been a complete disappointment, and their Studio line has been hit or miss with me. Their HD powder is one of those products that is absolutely, 110% a hit. Such a hit in fact, that I will never purchase my beloved MAC Prep & Prime transparent powder again, and will never consider Makeup Forever HD, unless E.L.F stops making this product at some point.
Pros vs. Cons
1. Reduces the look of pores, fine line, and wrinkles.
2. Leaves skin feeling like silk.
3. Perfect match to any skin tone.
4. $6.00 price tag blows alone blows any other HD powder away.
1. Like any other white powder, you HAVE to buff this out completely if you're planning on being around flash photography, otherwise it shows up in the flash and looks as though you've dumped little piles of it on your face.
2. The powder puff that it comes with, while soft and luxurious, is pretty useless. HD powder should only be applied with a brush and then buffed out to avoid Con #1.
3. Packaging is very messy. There is WAY too much space between the top of the lip and the rim of the jar for a powder this fine. When you upend it to shake powder out of the sifter, it gets caught in that dead space and when you open it there is a huge ring of powder on the edge. No matter how careful you are to sweep this powder back into the jar, it still winds up falling over the sides and getting all over hour hands and counter. I actually took an old jar of my Prep & Primen that has a tightly sealed lid, dumped the old MAC product into a Tupperware to use for a rainy day and put the E.L.F. HD powder in that jar (as you can see from the second photo).
4. Only available in the E.L.F. online store. No matter how well stocked in Studio Line products your local Target, K-Mart, or drugstore may be, I have yet to see this product available anywhere other than their online store.
If you've been wanting to try an H.D. powder, or if you've tried luxury brands and are looking to save a few pennies, I highly encourage you to pick up a jar or two of this. E.L.F. frequently offers Studio Line for BOGO or 50% off, or free shipping at the very least when you spend a minimum of $25 and sometimes even less than that! continued >>
Oh, the disappointment.......I heard so many wondrous things about this powder, tales of flawless finishes and minimized pores. Alas, it did none of these things for my dry, pore enlarged face. I tried applying it little by little at first and then later resorted to just packing that stuff on my face- but it just made my skin look powdery- no HD finish here I'm afraid....
Yes, the packaging is messy. But the powder just enhances my skin so well over my foundation. It will slightly lighten your skin only if you use too much. I will continue to purchase this but I really wish e.l.f. would let Target carry this in-store so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping!
Edit: I have gone back to Bare Minerals foundation and this just doesn't look as good on top of that as Mineral Veil does.
So cheap, works great over all makeup. Sometimes I use over foundation, sometimes on blush and bronzer too to even out!
I must say, I tried a plethera of new products this past week & I'm loving them all including this one. This is the only product I've tried from ELF but I was curious to give it a go after it got so many comparisons to Make Up For Ever- which is one of my favorite brands. This actually works just as well as their HD powder! It goes on light, doesn't cake, & sets my foundation perfectly. My only advice would be to definitely put tape over half of the holes, it will get everywhere if you don't. continued >>
this is a pretty finely milled powder my only complaint is the packaging on how bulky it is and when i open the cap the product gets everywhere. theres nothing too special about this it keeps me shine free for a couple hours then i get oily again