December 21, 2014 | 766 users online

Eyeliner - Revlon - ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2010 2:41:00 PM More reviews by 1264230

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

So I bought this because I really liked the idea of this liner. I'm always on a search for a good liner that isn't too harsh (like liquid, in my opinion) but doesn't smudge right off like an pencil liner. And also I wanted to try out a brown liner so I went with 03 Blackened Brown at CVS. Big mistake, I thought the color would be a lot darker, hence the name "Blackened brown" but it turned out to be very reddish brown that could almost look like my bags under my eyes. I put it on my hand at first and to be honest, it didn't look that bad, but when put on the eye it looked like nothing, and it looked as if my eyes were just dark. The staying power was alright and also IT SMELLS LIKE REAL SHARPIE MARKER. That was a huge turn off for me. I guess I didn't actually expect it to spell like a sharpie. I will not be repurchasing this.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2010 1:49:00 PM More reviews by toastedlembas

I had read good reviews of the normal ColorStay liquid liner, but when I went to buy some I chickened out. This pencil version looked friendlier, so that's what I went with (in Blackened Brown), and I have to say I LOVE IT. I think the reason it doesn't have good reviews is that people are expecting the same kind of dramatic line as a non-pencil liquid liner would give, and this doesn't do that. The line is more similar to pencil liners, but I find it easier to use, and there's no sharpening required. For daytime use, this is a great product!

The tip is lovely for having a nice controlled line. After a lot of use it gets a bit blunted, and you have to switch to using the side to keep a narrow line, but at that point it's usually time to repurchase anyway! It glides on smoothly and wears pretty well (but I may not be as picky about that as others). I've never caught it smudging, unless you smudge it yourself right after application.

Blackened Brown is a great color for daytime; it's essentially a warm black, which I like a lot.
Weird note: I got my first one in Britain, but when I rebought it in the States, the color was a lot lighter (more brown than black)! I was disappointed for a bit, but after about a week of use it was the normal color again. I don't know if maybe you could shake it a bit when you first buy to prevent that from happening, or if that was a fluke of that particular pencil.

In summary, I think this is a good everyday product, and I don't know why it gets a bad rap. It is easy to use and creates a natural look that stays put.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2010 1:46:00 AM More reviews by Missy78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this liner several different times. Initially, I thought maybe I just got a bad liner. But after several tries and buys.. I'm sure it's simply that the product doesn't work well enough for my taste. I really like the the packaging because the cap clicks when it goes on so you can be sure to close it so it won't dry out. But that's the thing. It seems to dry out on you pretty fast and I always had to prime it over and over again just to line my top lids. I feel like I've gotten better results from other liquid liners to keep tossing money away on this one. I will say the color once on is great.. it's the very dark jet black that looks great when and if you can get it on! I have to say this is a product that I will not ever purchase again. For me, it was a waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/14/2010 10:04:00 PM More reviews by vagueparade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like to use this as an easy 30-second eyeliner when I don't feel like using my gel liner. I have it in black, and the color isn't completely opaque but it's still pretty dark. My lids can get pretty oily, so if I don't powder over them when I wear this, I might get a bit of transfer by the end of the day. I've had it for 3 or 4 months and it hasn't dried out yet, so that's pretty legit. I don't have any big problems with this and it's easy to use so I'm not complaining. (:

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2010 9:51:00 AM More reviews by sueg374

This was my first time trying one of these eyeliner pens with the felt tip. I usually use BB gel liner almost exclusively, but wanted to give these a try. I got it in black and have to say the pen is very easy to use and gives a precise line. The color is a rich black and does not fade at all - definitely lasts all day without so much as a smudge. The only negative comment I could have about this product is that once you apply, you cannot fix it without removing with mu remover. Otherwise, great product at a very reasonable price!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/10/2010 5:48:00 PM More reviews by hypnotiiic001

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My friend had this product in blackest black I believe and it was awesome for her. Pigmentation, stay quality, everything. So right after I messed with hers a little bit I decided to get one for myself and it was the complete opposite. I bought mine in blackened brown and it was watered down and I could hardly see the line when I did it over my usual brown smokey eye. I'll be taking it back to the store to get it in the color she had and hope that works better... I have no intention of wasting any more money on this product though.

I read another review that said to store it horizontally, tip down for a couple days and that should help the pigmentation but I have yet to notice a difference. I also saw something about not shaking it when you get it. Idk, just some food for thought.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2010 6:35:00 PM More reviews by PinkMargarita

I am a huge fan of most of the other Colorstay products but this eyeliner is terrible. It is very hard to get an even line with this and the color is impossible to correct/remove WHEN you can even get any product out of the pen. Definite disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2010 12:48:00 PM More reviews by Ntuitive1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow, I don't get the bad reviews of this product. I'm 52 years old, have used EVERYTHING many times over and know a good product when I see one. That said, I think that if you are a novice with using pen eyeliners you're going to have difficulty with this until you get the feel of it. I did not have a problem getting it to draw a very thin, black, totally unbroken opaque line, but then again I have been using liners like this for decades longer than many reviewers on this site have been alive ('nuff said). Also, I think a lot of people have been using products that either were old and dried out or settled to the other end of the tube (two things you would not know were an issue if you had just started using the product). Fortunately the pen I have been using has not had this issue. I would recommend shaking it before use or storing it at an angle that would allow the product to settle toward the tip end if you find that it's not writing very well (just like you would with any pen, really). I also have a feeling that some users are wearing very heavy eyeshadow which is interfering with getting a decent dark line or else they are not using enough pressure in putting it on.

What's more is that it's great for contact lens wearers. It doesn't bleed nor smudge one bit nor cause any sensitivity. And I have very oily skin and usually have trouble with liners smudging and bleeding all over the place, too. I will admit that before I go to bed after a full day (a very long full day) I do notice that it has thinned out somewhat and looks a bit transparent but that's not a problem because it lasts the entire day I'm out wearing it in public anyway. I got this as a gift with a purchase and honestly, I would never have tried this product on my own because I've had sensitivity issues with other Revlon liners in the past, but none with this one.

Anyway, I think this is an excellent product and I have often been skeptical about Revlon, so that says a lot right there.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by rickisyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i got this as a gwp, so i wont complain. I think its a good basic liquid eyeliner. I have to get the line in the first time, because i cant seem to get over it because it smudges my first attempt. I have to be really quick with the eyeliner too. However, it stays all day and worth finishing the product. thanks revlon for the gwp.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2010 11:38:00 PM More reviews by adOrk_aBLe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Turns gray and smudges quickly..Love the idea of the pen though.