Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen

2.4

Aqua (Water), Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Lignosulfonate, Sodium Laureth 11 Carboxylate, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Alcohol Denat., Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Laureth 12 Sulfate, EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain ( /-): Black 2 (CI 77266), Red 40 (CI 16035)

on 1/27/2011 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Thought I would give this a try because it is cheap.
When will I learn my lesson?!
Liner smudges all over the place and has really WEAK color! Grosse liner:(.
Should have known better to stray from my Geisha Ink Liner. Nothing has been as amazing...My HG...should not keep trying new products but I can't help it!

on 1/21/2011 9:02:00 AM

I bought this today and got really excited about it. I was actually planning to buy the MAC Blacktrack Fluid Line or the Stila Smudge Pot but when I was walking around at a drugstore and found out that it was on sale, I totally didn't hesitate to purchase this! I tried this on right away when I got home and I was really disappointed when I found out that it SMUDGES VERY EASILY! It smudges all over after like 2-3 hours and I REALLY HATE IT!!! The color that I bought was blackest black and sad to say that it is not that really pigmented! It turns out to be gray after a couple of hours and again it SMUDGES ALL OVER! I totally love the other revlon color stay products but this one?? Basically your average crappy liquid liner! I regret buying this! Waste of money! It costs $12 here in the philippines and t'was really pricey for a drugstore product! Totally won't repurchase again and will just purchase the MAC blacktrack fluid line instead in the future :l

on 1/8/2011 8:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got this as a free gift from Sephora and that's about the only positive I have regarding this product. I have used ELF liquid eyeliner pens in the past and I liked them, but this was horrible. I am absolutely awful at apply regular old liquid eyeliner and I was no better with this pen. I don't know what it was but whenever I tried to apply it, it bled all into my eye and made a huge mess. Whatever it was, this was just a godawful eyeliner. Do not recommend it at all.

on 12/31/2010 3:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

pro: staying power, it doesn't smear
con: it is hard to apply it, the color doesn't show at all.

on 12/31/2010 2:04:00 AM

I'm really suprised everyone dislikes this so much. The only bad thing i could really say about it is that you do have to go over it a few times to get it as black as i like it. I really enjoyed how much control I had over the "pen" and it didn't smudge or fade at all.

on 12/31/2010 1:50:00 AM

This product was alright. It requires multiple applications in order to appear black. The staying power wasn't good but it wasn't bad. It's expensive for what it is, in my opinion, but if you can score it on sale it will probably be worth the money. Overall, just meh.

on 12/31/2010 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Picked this up on a whim because Revlon is a pretty reliable brand in my opinion. It's definitely NOT something I would purchase again. I bought Black, and for me, it was one of those liners where you have to go over the line a couple of times before getting that solid black. So to make things short:

Pros:
-easy to remove yet doesn't smudge otherwise
-pen tip makes for really thin lines

Cons:
-colour is a bit weak (I bought Black)
-found it actually sort of painful applying the first time because the pen tip was really hard &sharp
-quite hard to achieve that cat eye/wing effect because:
-the pen tip is rock hard (not at all like brush in your typical liquid eye liner; basically, no flexibility whatsoever)

It's a decent eyeliner for someone who doesn't like to apply it bold and thick?

on 12/27/2010 6:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I heard rave reviews about this as well when I tried it.

Pros:
Lasts a long while.
Pen-like packaging makes it easy to 'draw' on your eyeliner.

Cons:
It takes soooo long for the right amount of color to show up.. literally was going over my lines 3-4 times to get the right amount of pigment... this was the deal breaker for me.

on 12/25/2010 2:41:00 PM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

So I bought this because I really liked the idea of this liner. I'm always on a search for a good liner that isn't too harsh (like liquid, in my opinion) but doesn't smudge right off like an pencil liner. And also I wanted to try out a brown liner so I went with 03 Blackened Brown at CVS. Big mistake, I thought the color would be a lot darker, hence the name "Blackened brown" but it turned out to be very reddish brown that could almost look like my bags under my eyes. I put it on my hand at first and to be honest, it didn't look that bad, but when put on the eye it looked like nothing, and it looked as if my eyes were just dark. The staying power was alright and also IT SMELLS LIKE REAL SHARPIE MARKER. That was a huge turn off for me. I guess I didn't actually expect it to spell like a sharpie. I will not be repurchasing this.

on 12/19/2010 1:49:00 PM

I had read good reviews of the normal ColorStay liquid liner, but when I went to buy some I chickened out. This pencil version looked friendlier, so that's what I went with (in Blackened Brown), and I have to say I LOVE IT. I think the reason it doesn't have good reviews is that people are expecting the same kind of dramatic line as a non-pencil liquid liner would give, and this doesn't do that. The line is more similar to pencil liners, but I find it easier to use, and there's no sharpening required. For daytime use, this is a great product!

The tip is lovely for having a nice controlled line. After a lot of use it gets a bit blunted, and you have to switch to using the side to keep a narrow line, but at that point it's usually time to repurchase anyway! It glides on smoothly and wears pretty well (but I may not be as picky about that as others). I've never caught it smudging, unless you smudge it yourself right after application.

Blackened Brown is a great color for daytime; it's essentially a warm black, which I like a lot.
Weird note: I got my first one in Britain, but when I rebought it in the States, the color was a lot lighter (more brown than black)! I was disappointed for a bit, but after about a week of use it was the normal color again. I don't know if maybe you could shake it a bit when you first buy to prevent that from happening, or if that was a fluke of that particular pencil.

In summary, I think this is a good everyday product, and I don't know why it gets a bad rap. It is easy to use and creates a natural look that stays put.