December 20, 2014 | 1633 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2010 5:57:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

what a wonderful thing! I had no idea to use Baking Soda, until I read the reviews on MUA. I can't find a gentle exfolitator that doesn't require alot of patience, effort and risk. I do like La Roche Posay's Gommage but...it takes FOREVER to get it off your skin, and it's not as effective as I'd like. I have been using Baking Soda, and I have to say, it's been good so far. I even use it with my Clarisonic once a week...nothing bad has happened yet. I think we have a weiner :D

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2010 7:50:00 AM More reviews by tealeafdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is now the only scrub that I will use on my face, it is def. HG material. I was really uncertain how my super sensitive skin would react, but as long as I'm gentle when massaging it on my skin, I haven't had a bad reaction so far.
I use it every other day and the main reason I love it so much is that on top of making my skin glowy and the pores more refined, I have found that it helps to heal my breakouts in record time too! I have also found that when I use it in the evening, when I wake up in the morning my skin is so much less oily, which is a big bonus.
I will continue using this, for as long as I see these great results, overall very happy and thankful to MUA for suggesting this.
UPDATE: still using this 4 years later! But as my skin is a little drier and more sensitive these days, I only use it a few time a week and it works so well on my blackheads and flaky patches.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2010 10:01:00 PM More reviews by coolcardboard

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Once a week, I love to mix a bit of baking soda into my regular shampoo. It works as an awesome clarifier that gets rid of all the gunk and buildup from hairsprays, hair gels, and any other hair product. It also makes your hair REALLY shiny, smooth, soft, and manageable.

You can either use the soda in your regular shampoo and just rinse it out, or you can make a deep conditioner: just mix the soda with your regular conditioner, lather it all over your hair, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then rinse, and your hair will feel amazing! Make sure you rinse REALLY well, and once your hair dries, brush it thoroughly to make sure all the baking soda is out.

Seriously, for a few bucks, a box of baking soda is SO worth it. All-natural, really easy, not messy, and excellent as a hair treatment!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by shadowboxer

it makes me cringe to read how many people use this to brush their teeth. baking soda is very abrasive to your teeth and gums. the tooth structure you wear away cannot be replaced. the recession you will end up with can only be resolved with grafting. there are many effective methods to whiten your teeth that don't cause so much damage.

19 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2010 7:00:00 PM More reviews by lux30

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the most simple, inexpensive amazing way to maintain MY skin - i can't speak for everyone because we all have different skin needs. But if you're on the oily side, prone to break outs, both cystic and other, and in need of more regular exfoliation that's not going to burn or ravage your skin - than this might be the answer. It has been for me! I had some serious stress related pimples all over my face, whiteheads, cysts, just a freakin' messssss..... started using this diluted with filtered water, made kind of a runny paste, scrubbed gently at night in the shower for about a week - my face looks like porcelain, now. It can be drying, even for me -but i follow up with a decaf green tea toner, DMAE moisturizer with added Squalene oil and i'm good to go. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS, so far. I've been using every day for almost 2 weeks - little to no zits have appeared. Not recommended for sensitive skin or every day use, though.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2010 10:13:00 AM More reviews by MaxFun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm very open to homemade skincare, but when seeing this on here I was pretty sceptic. I thought it would totally dry out my skin and irritate it. But since I was devastated about my skin lately I decided to give it a go.
For every skincare product there's at least one person on makeupalley sayind "wow this has changed my life" or something. I was still waiting for that product. My skin had been horrible after I went off the birth control, so I thought it was about hormones and skincare products could only help me treat it, not cure.
Have been using it for 2 days now and have to say WOW! Of course my skin is not perfect from one day to another, but it has done a lot for clearing it all up. It made some acne scarring fade already (something I was more concerned about than the acne itself) and I didn't have any new big breakouts (which I usually have everyday).
I have sensitive skin and when I first used it with my cleanser it burned like hell. I thought it would break me out horribly. But the opposite was the case. Now i switched to a creamier cleanser (before I used freeman's pear cleanser) and it only hurts a bit where active breakouts are. As a mask I can take it for 2 minutes and then have to wash it off, cause it stings too badly.

It is so cheap and has had great effects on many people, so I really reccomend to try it out. If the effect lasts, it will defenitely be a part of my everyday skincare.

I HAVE TO EDIT THIS:
for the first week the baking soda really did a great job on my skin. however after using it a bit longer it actually made me break out more...maybe i have used it too often (daily), but this won't work for me anymore...i might use it once a week and see how that goes, but i'm defenitely not as excited anymore as i was at the beginning

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2010 4:03:00 AM More reviews by twittletoes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this stuff. To know something so incredibly cheap can work wonders in so many ways is just amazing! I use this for whitening my teeth and also for the skin. Instead of brushing my teeth with just baking soda alone, I mix it with my herbal toothpaste so it's much easier to brush. I leave it in my mouth for 60 seconds than rinse. I love it! Secondly, it's amazing for skin issues! It balances the PH of the skin, helps to even things out, keeps it alkaline and heals!!! I sometimes just use it as a gentle scrub right after I cleanse but when I have bad skin days I make a thick mask out of it. Use about 2 tablespoons of baking soda and slowly add water until it's moist but not too watery or thin. If it gets too thin, add extra baking soda. Mix well and apply to your skin as a mask. Leave it on for 10 minutes, I sometimes leave mine on for hours if I'm just watching a movie or something. It dries fast but might sprinkle off a bit which isn't a big deal. If you're new to this remedy, use it as a scrub first as it will sting broken skin such as pimples or sores (which by the way is a good thing!) and it will leave your face red for a few minutes. I swear, this stuff makes my skin amazing! Heals blemishes fast and helps tremendously with irritation. I highly recommend anyone to add it to their daily routine!!

Note : Arm & Hammer is the best brand to use as it's 100% aluminum-free!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2010 3:42:00 PM More reviews by hlh25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I've ditched my Tom's of Maine toothpaste for plain baking soda. It cleans my teeth so well, whitens, and I actually like the taste. It's very cheap and I use it gently for a body/face scrub as well. Pretty effective. Best part is, no SLS or other chemicals and I feel good about using it. Will try making shampoo with it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2010 7:16:00 PM More reviews by laurxrawr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Best self tanner remover
Baking soda is a great exfoliator. It can be harsh if you rub too vigorously, use it too much or dont dilute. it leaves my skin unbelievably smooth and helps with acne
Cant beat the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2010 11:08:00 PM More reviews by Tesann

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this to exfoliate every couple of days and am so impressed! I wet my hands sprinkle a good bit in my palm and start rubbing in small circles. This stuff works better than some rather expensive products that I have purchased in the past. It is truly amazing that this simple product works so well and cost so little!