November 26, 2014 | 2017 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2009 10:08:00 AM More reviews by TheWorldsDresser

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Biotin is the recommended natural supplement for nail and hair care and I started taking it awhile back with stunning results. My nails were immediately strengthened and my hair was a bit stronger as well (though this took longer to see than the nails). I was taking about 4,000 mcg per day, short of the advertised of 5,000 mcg a day, but much more than the average person would consume in a normal diet.

At first it caused a bit of upset stomach that would have been avoided by taking it with a meal. The other negative side effect was the one that caused me to stop using it - in sensitive folks it can cause breakouts. Now, what isn't clear to me is if it's the Biotin itself or the fillers/binders in the pill causing the breakouts. Biotin does not naturally appear as a hard, white substance and some have theorized that its the inactive ingredients used in putting the biotin in pill format that causes breakouts. Let's say that you take 5 pills a day or even 7. Vitamin B is water soluble, meaning that any excessive amounts are flushed out in urine. The fillers in the pills, however, do stay around and may be the reason for the breakouts.

At any rate, I wanted to share my results and let you know but the postive effects I had as well as the negative side effects. If you want to try it, but find yourself senstive to fillers remember that Biotin is essentially Vitamin B7 which can also be found in straight Vitamin B tablets (less fillers) or general vitamin supplements, for example Centrium, but in far fewer mcg's per pill. I'm trying to increase my Vitamin B naturally in the foods I eat: tuna, liver and bananas - I'll let you know how it goes.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2009 12:22:00 PM More reviews by rocknride

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I buy biotin 5,000mcg way cheaper than $30.00. Walgreens carries it and I buy two for one on sale. Less than $6.00. I take two daily and have for months now along with two extra B complex. It has helped my hair so much. I was losing a lot of it and it was very fine due to medication. It is thicker and healthier and stays on my head and not in the sink or shower. My HG of supplements.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2009 1:08:00 AM More reviews by Isabella07

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I did not purchase this particular brand, I bought the Biotin 5000 mcg. from GNC. I had to share the good news, biotin is a miracle worker.

I have medium-fine hair, which I had cut into a very short bob (w/ stacked layers in the back), the longest my hair would reach is to my chin. I did this back in August, because it was so hot, it was an impulse haircut. By November, I was tired of short hair, so I got extensions (cost $500), the plan was to wear them until my hair grew out, but since my hair was so short; my stylist had to cut layers (all around my head), to cover the top part of the extensions. I was fearful that if the extensions came all out, I would have a choppy looking hairdo. Anyways, by January, the extensions were looking ratty, so I took them out, my hair was in that awkward in-between stage. I read so many good things about biotin supplements, I decided to give it a try.
I've been on the biotin pills for 1 month now, and it's amazing. What it did is , it made my hair a lot thicker than it ever was. It has added an extra layer of hair (all over), and the hair (that grows around the face) grows in more, as well as thickens. It also made my scalp line (on top of my head) close-up, it's less wide than it used to be. It also made my nails strong, almost as strong as having fake nails.
This is a must have for everyone, I paid 30 bucks for 120 pills, and it's so worth it. The best way to describe it is this, it's like your hair is getting it's winter-coat (like dogs fur comes in more the winter -a dogs winter coat).

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2008 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Erie

My hair was thinning alot. When i took a shower there would be a big chunck of hair in the drain! I'm 26 and i knew i had to do something before i was bald as an eagle! So i started taking biotin about 3 months ago now! WOW is all i can say! I can see baby hairs coming in around the hairline! My hair also feel softer and thicker! Im so happy my hair is growing back in! As for my nails they never use to grow before, now they are thick and long! I will always take biotin!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2008 5:47:00 AM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

My hair is growning longer and most of all behaving better. I used to have 2 or bad hair days each week (frizz, lack of volume and general hair assiness) but sine taking 600 mcgs of Biotin I have maybe 1 bad hair day a month if I try a new mousse or hairspray. My nails are growning much faster as well. Its been about 3 months and I saw resluts within a few weeks, I will continue to take this.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2008 12:24:00 AM More reviews by JettNY

Taking 5 mg (5,000 mcg) of biotin absolutely made my nails grow in stronger and my hair grow faster. I'd been using Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin and Nails formula on and off for years. It contains 3 mg if you take the 3 pills you are supposed to every day. I didn't commit to really taking the 3 pills, and therefore the daily 3 mg, until earlier this year. I started noticing hair growing more quickly and I had to pluck my eyebrows more often. I was also breaking out a little bit more, but didn't associate it with the increased biotin. When I ran out of Nature's Bounty I started taking a regular multi and Solgar's 5 mg biotin tablets. Hair continued to grow faster, my eyelashes looked thicker, I had to pluck my eyebrows more often, and my face started to break out like crazy. I finally made the connection and researched it and apparently biotin makes some- but not everyone - break out in large doses such as these. I quit taking the biotin two weeks ago and my skin's almost totally cleared up. I'll miss these strong nails, but I can't deal with breaking out!

So the deal is that large doses of biotin really do make for thicker hair and stronger nails, which is why I gave it two lippies. Unfortunately, for me and for some others, it also leads to bad breakouts.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2008 5:06:00 PM More reviews by PinkMargarita

This vitamin really does wonders for nails. I had been getting mine done for years and they were a wreck when I finally went back to my natural nails. I started taking two 5000mcg capsules of this a day a few months ago and my nails look great. They are growing fast and look naturally shiny. I have yet to notice much difference with my hair since taking this but I do already have long hair so it may just be harder for me to notice much change.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2008 5:41:00 AM More reviews by michelle1975

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

my hair started thinning in my mid 20's-and by 32 it was something that i was really sensitive about.the great gal that does my hair noticed how thin it was-and suggested biotin.It is ridiculously inexpensive-target has it in their vitamin aisle for $1.89! I take 2 pills a day-and noticed after a month it was growing fast-and when i went to see my derm(i had made an appointment 2 months prior because i wanted her to check my hair loss and she took some blood and was telling me the lab results) she looked at my scalp and told me i had alot of new growth-i know it was the biotin-there was nothing else but that it could have been.I am overjoyed-it will really make your hair grow fast-i have to trim my bangs all the time! I will continue to buy this and am elated with the results :)

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 5:14:00 PM More reviews by LovingMe830

I've been taking 5-10 MG's of Biotin a day since September. That is a high dose & I am definately getting GREAT results! My hair was shedding like crazy this summer & my Derm. reccomended I take Biotin. Now my hair has grown in thicker & the shedding/fallout has subsided. I plan to always take this amazing vitamin.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 4:35:00 PM More reviews by hapapower

I had been taking between 800-2400 mcg of biotin daily for the past two years, right after I noticed that my nails had developed this horrid tendency to peel in layers. No strengthening top coat or treatment seemed to do the trick. Then I started taking the biotin and noticed that the peeling decreased significantly. There was one time I decided to stop taking the biotin to see if it really made a difference, and the peeling returned full force, worse than before I started taking the supplements.

So I am convinced that biotin is the answer to healthier nails. They still peel, but at least they're manageable. I recently increased the dose to 5 mg but still have peeling. Of course, I have been at this dosage for only about 6 weeks and haven't been consistent due to my more hectic life recently. Hopefully with more consistency, I'll have more improvement on the peeling nails.

On another note, my hair has looked amazing recently. Full, soft, shiny, less breakage...perhaps from the biotin?