Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 2/1/2010 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am so sad because it definitely did the job for my hair....but after taking these vitamins for 3 months I started breaking out like CRAZY!!!! There is a possibility that I've taken such a high dosage everyday (2500mcg) and I've been using Nioxin everyday which already contains 300 mcg of biotin in it, I've cut down the dosage to see if that would stop the problem but it didn't. I wish I could continue to take it because I want my hair to grow out faster, but it's definitely not worth all the acne scars I have from this product = (

on 1/9/2010 1:51:00 AM

I was taking biotin 5000 mg and I think it made a difference in my hair. I don't know about the nails since mine were always healthy and grew very quickly without any supplements. I did noticed the pills made my hair thicker and maybe even grew in some baby hair along my hairline. I need to start retaking these again cause if you stop the results goes away.

on 10/26/2009 9:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've gone back to taking Biotin. I started to notice my nails were getting deep ridges ( diabetes runs in the family ). Also, my hair is really, really thinning out. That is part meno & part hair chemicals. I take two ( 1000mcg. ) tablets everyday. They are a Kroger brand and the bottle states: extra potency. So, I wouldn't recommend taking two - maybe one tablet. Its too early to write about the nail situation, but have noticed a big improvement in hair loss. Altho, I still have some hair loss in the shower, I noticed when brushing my hair there isn't that large amount. Whew...wiping my brow. I was starting to think, I was going to invest in Minoxil. I'm not sure if Biotin can actually grow back hair. Maybe, I can write back another day on that ;-)

I have been taking biotin supplements everyday now for a month and im glad with the results. My nails dont chip as much and my hair is stronger. Will update!

on 10/20/2009 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

A little about my hair:

I have curly/dry/damaged hair. My hair was long and started breaking due to a "repair treatment" a hairdresser applied (it was actually a relaxer!) My hair started to break and every week, my hair looked shorter and shorter. I have curly hair and having it short, well, it didnt look that great. So, i would straighten my hair.

Biotin:

I read over the internet that Biotin helps with growth of hair and nails. I decided to give it a try. I searched the boards for the GNC Nourish-Hair product, but i didnt have any luck. I purchased it for around $8. This supplement has 1200mg of Biotin.

GNC Nourish-Hair:

Label states you have to take one tablet, twice a day with food. The pill is huge! I had to cut it into pieces so it would be easy for me to take them. There is also a weird smell.

My Results:

I waited until i finished the bottle to write a review. At first, i would take 2 pills a day. And i noticed that i would break out. A couple of pimples on my chin. I started taking only one pill a day and the breakouts stopped.

I did see results after 2 weeks. My hair was noticeably longer and my nails were too. When i started taking these pills, my hair was above my shoulders. Now, about 3 months later, my hair is about 1 inch below my shoulders. Im taking a 3 month break from the pills and i will repurchase.

on 10/20/2009 2:24:00 AM

It works for me! I've seen faster hair growth after taking Biotin for about 3 months. I did experience some acne flair ups, and when those happened, I would just stop taking the Biotin for a couple days and wait for them to clear up. But I noticed that if I took it with a meal (as suggested) and drank more water, I could fend off the pimples. I started taking 1000mcg per day for a few weeks, then 2000mcg for a month, then 3000mcg and I noticed a huge change but also more pimples. Now I've reduced back to 2000mcg per day. I haven't noticed any change in nails, but I was only paying attention to hair growth! I'm satisfied and I will continue to take the supplement but I will proceed with caution.

on 8/14/2009 9:52:00 PM

Funny how this affects everyone a little different. I am using straight biotin in a liquid gelcap 2500mcg daily. I've been using it for about 2 and a half weeks. In just that short amount of time the thing I notice the most is my eyelashes, they have gotten soooo much longer and fuller and I haven't done anything different with them. If this continues I won't really have to use mascara anymore. My eyebrows also are growing a little faster too, but I don't mind (and weirdly enough doesn't effect my upper lip). My fingernails haven't really grown faster, but I do think they are stronger (I like to keep them pretty short anyway). My hair is fairly long, so I'm not really sure how much it's grown. This has not broke my face out like some reviews mentioned. In fact my skin looks really great right now (don't think it's necessarily from this though, just don't think this is hurting it at all). I really like this, and the fact it's a gelcap means more absorption (IMO) and probably less fillers.

Yes I will definitely repurchase.

Bummer. I wanted this to see if it could strengthen my hair but within 3 days of starting to take it, I had a break out of 9 mini pimples. Not everyone can handle the biotin, I am one of those who can't.

on 7/25/2009 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I took Biotin for a month, and it didn't do anything for me. It was only $6 for a month's supply though, so no biggie. Later I read that Biotin also can make hair grow faster. I don't know if that's true. I didn't have any acceleration in my hair's growth, but it's something to keep in mind in case you decide to try Biotin. Maybe it will make your nails healthier, but it also may give you a moustache.

on 7/25/2009 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this product based on the suggestions that it could strengthen my nails and promote nail growth. For those who are unfamiliar with Biotin, it is Vitamin B-7 also known as Vitamin H. It is naturally produced by the body by bacteria in the intestines to assist in the break down of carbs and transfer of carbon dioxide from the body. However, it has also been known to strengthen nails and beautify hair when taken in higher doses, as much as 1000-2000mcgs a day.

I was taking exactly 1000mgs per day in the hopes of finally taking my nails from short, soft, flexible, and pealing/chipping; to those thicker, strong, medium length nails, I always dreamed of that only fake imitations could provide. After 6 weeks of use, I saw a dramatic change in my nails, they had indeed become a little thicker, but mostly stronger, and much less flexible. They still pealed a little bit, but I hoped with consistent use, my nails would improve with time.

However, there is one minor problem with Biotin that some users may encounter, and I was one of the unlucky few to experience this problem. High doses of Biotin is known to cause acne flair ups in acne-prone skin. Although this is not always the case, it certainly was for me. I noticed a few more pimples 4 weeks after the use of this product, but I thought nothing of them, thinking thy were hormonal. However, after reaching the 6 weeks mark, I had a horrible outbreak of red angry pimples that took some time to heal. I had to say bon voyage to my new favourite beauty product.

I am pleased to say I have found an alternative that will still give you great nails, hair, and skin for those who are acne prone and want stronger nails- Silica Supplements. I am currently using GNC, but research reveals that the best on the market is Biosil, it is much more expensive then the GNC one (GNC is roughly $18, where as Biosil is $30!) however Biosil produces a natural liquid form that is more readily absorbed by the body, than the standard solid pill. I have been using Silica supplements for 6 weeks and it has proven to be almost as affective as Biotin for nails, but more rewarding for skin. View my review for more details.

Happy Shopping