April 21, 2014 | 895 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - City Block Sheer Oil-Free Daily Face Protector Broad Spectrum 25 SPF

rated 1 of 5 on 5/5/2008 1:21:00 AM More reviews by kahughes

This product = PIMPLES!
I should have read these comments first. I was excited when I found this at Sephora...oil-control sunblock? Too good to be true! ...so true. I was weary of purchasing it b/c some Clinique products that I have used that don't say "non-acnegenic" or "non-comedogic" make me break out, BUT, silly me, I bought it anyway.
This is yet another Clinique product that gave me zits...what a waste of $$ yet again. I have an oily t-zone and break-out occasinally (usually from prodcuts my skin doesn't like). I used it for a couple of days when I noticed I was getting weird random pimples...between my eyebrows and around the edge or my nose...so strange. I stopped using this and my face cleared up quickly. I thought maybe I was having a weird break-out time, so I tried it again...no good...I did a spot test on two areas of my face...and what do you know...weird, tiny pimples in those EXACT areas where I put the product. I have also noticed that my pores around my nose and cheek area look unusually clogged. I feel like this stuff just leaves gunks on your skin!
Ladies, don't use this if your skin breaks out easily.
Also, I usually weird a light foundation daily, and this made my make-up flake, especially around my nose.
Don't waste your money!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2008 6:25:00 PM More reviews by beefjerky

I have to begin this review by saying how much I loathe sunscreen. I'm allergic to chemical ones, and physical ones make my face look ghastly. So i've gone almost every day of my life relying on the minimal protection contained in tinted moisturizers or even foundation. When a friend suggested I try this, I was hesitant. However, it was a nice surprise how the formulation did not make me look ghastly. What it did do, is make me look like I have a nice "glow" in the same way as mineral makeup. This in fact, is a GREAT base for when I use mineral m/u. I don't find the price too expensive, since the tube does last a while. After cleansing, I apply a light moisturizer (Dr. Hauschka or Kiehl's) then wait a few minutes for it to absorb. Once absorbed, I apply the City Block and let absorb some more, then brush on some mineral m/u bronzer - and that's all I need for a dewy, healthy glow!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2008 11:37:00 AM More reviews by namooshie

Two words: GREAT MULTI-TASKER.
I'm always in a rush during weekdays so there are times when I just don't have time to do my face. I just use this and it does all the stuff that my other products would do:
*It evens out my skin tone.
*It moisturizes.
*It protects (SPF 25).
*It can double as liquid foundation but with light coverage, so it's perfect for daytime.
I'm definitely buying this again (if I could just save up..haha)!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2008 12:16:00 PM More reviews by pillager

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Received this as a bonus sample. The SA told me that it wasn't a tinted moisturizer, but it is. At first I was disappointed, but the tint is light and unlike other sunblocks, it doesn't leave my face with a white, pasty sheen. I also like that it's SPF 25, stronger than most others on the market. I find most Clinique products to have a chemical scent and this one is no different, but it's not overpowering. Overall, a good product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2008 3:52:00 PM More reviews by bluezinnia

I bought this because I have a problem with chemical sunscreens migrating into my eyes and causing intense burning. I've had no problem with this product around my eyes. I'd recommend buying it just for that reason. This product is expensive, but if you only use it around your eyes, and use some other sunscreen on the other parts of your face, I expect a tube would last a fairly long time (and there is no expiration date on these tubes). Also, even expensive sunscreens qualify as flexible spending account expenses (in the US), something to consider when you're about to run out of time to spend your money. The packaging is pretty good insofar as keeping the product stable (a tube with a small hole, so the antioxidants are protected), but I have a problem getting the cap back on without dropping it. They should consider using a flip cap. Personally, I would prefer they would leave out the tint, also. Overall, recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2008 11:54:00 AM More reviews by kaiyrah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's probably a little unfair to be reviewing this product already considering I only purchased it last week, but I have been using it daily and I love it! I love the fact that it has a higher SPF than you would typically find on face products. Just three pea-sized squirts gives your face and neck necessary sun protection and dries to a semi-matte finish. This helps slow down oil production, which is great for me because I have pretty oily skin. With this I find that my makeup lasts twice as long as it would with just moisturizer. No premature foundation sliding here. My only complaints are that it goes on a bit thick and it's somewhat hard to blend, but it can be easily bypassed if you're aggressive in your blending or a great brush. Oh, that, and it has a slightly nutty scent to it, which put me off a little bit. But I can overlook that, because it makes my makeup last and this hasn't broken me out yet. I'll be repurchasing when I run out, unless this somehow stops working for me somewhere along the line.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2008 1:18:00 AM More reviews by Shamisen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got given a deluxe sample of this stuff a couple of weeks ago and have been using it most days since then. I'm not really happy with it at all. At first I thought it was great but I have been noticing more and more my skin is becoming a bit flaky, especially on my forehead and chin, also my pores on my chin are becoming quite clogged and prominent.
I have had a couple of big zits on my chin in the last two weeks too which is usually not a problem for me on my regular moisturiser - Paula's Choice mattifying lotion with spf 15. I think I will sacrifice the extra 10 SPF points and go back to the one that doesn't make me into a swamp monster.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2008 9:51:00 PM More reviews by LowSelfEsteem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This product retails at AUD$36 for 40ml so is expensive (online it can be bought for less). It is a physical sunscreen completely free of nasties including fragrance so particularly suitable for sensitive skin. IMO it smells kind of like oatmeal (!) but this is not noticeable after a few minutes and isn't offensive to begin with. The sheer tint deposits barely any colour but nonetheless is a nice touch; I think it helps to even out your skin tone just a *little*.

It is non greasy and dries to a semi matte finish (I applied on top of moisturiser). I found it didn't apply as easily as some I've tried but even so a little goes a long way. Whole face easily covered with 3 pea size drops. Applying over a moisturiser allows for a better finish and easier application in my experience (I do it almost straight away before my moisturiser has started to dry). Nice primer for MU but takes a while to dry. I dont use this everyday as I tend to rely on SPF15 for Winter (Olay Total Effects) but this is perfect for the warmer months when I'm outdoors more. I have worn it during vigorous outdoor Summer excercise and it's behaved perfectly! Doesn't run and/or get in to my eyes, and stays put. Great!

Definitely recommended- see if you can get a sample size off the nice SAs before purchasing full size to be sure it suits you. I initally got a sample size that came with a cute little Clinique keyring! 5ml was enough for 3 full face applications.

Update: changed my rating from 4 to 5 lippies....this is HG stuff for me.
Update 2: (July 08) Still loving this stuff...this is so perfect for someone with sensitive skin, fragrance intolerance AND dislike of foundations! :) I have also just discovered EDMs Natural Reflections (Light) and use this over the sunscreen; perfect faux foundation for good skin days! Love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2008 12:12:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

Super City Block used to be one of the few sunscreens I could use on my rosacea during the summer. Was truly ticked when I heard they reformulated but this new version is very good. It is more hydrating to my dry skin than the older Super City Block and it is sheerer as the name says. Still has titanium and zinc as main sunblock ingreds. I can see why many oily-skinned folks would have a problem with this new formula as I think it is more suited to n/d skin type, and so far I am impressed with this one.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2008 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Seow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My sunblock is running out so thought of getting Clinique oil-free City Block Sheer SPF25. It has light tinted texture which was good and also even out my skintone. As far as I know Clinique product mostly is Fragrance-free, oil-free and also great on sensitive skin. But this product really disappointed me. I've had been using this for about 1 week but it gives me flakes as it blends on to my face and mid-day my face gets oily. It does not control-oil as it stated. And my face gets little bumy spot. It feels like clogging my pores too. So I don't think I'll repurchase the product again.