July 22, 2014 | 2060 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 5:07:00 AM More reviews by nwild

Before this foundation I was a supermarket foundation kind of girl. I got fed up with foundations sliding off my face and changing colour during the day and ended up at the David Jones counter seeking advice. This was suggested and since then I'm onto my third bottle. My favourite thing about this foundation is it's lasting power. I'm a school teacher and can get pretty tired and sweaty by the end of the day. I find I can put this on at 7am, touch up my nose and forehead with powder at lunch and still look fresh late that night.
The foundation has a fairly matte finish, without ever looking powdery. The lady at David Jones told me to apply the foundation just before my moisturiser fully soaked in. This gives you more time to play and apply it on your face as once it's set it's set. I also find that by using extra moisturiser I can getting a sheerer, more luminous look, where if I use less, or let it dry all the way, I can achieve a more matte look.
I can see that some may struggle with the bottle, as it doesn't have a pump, but I actually feel this means you waste less product. I apply it with my fingers, just tipping the bottle upside down onto my pointer finger. I keep baby wipes on my dressing table to then easily clean my hands. While fairly expensive, $60 in Australia, one bottle lasts me almost a year, and that's wearing it everyday.
This is an extremely hard working foundation that I recommend fully.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 1:41:00 AM More reviews by ldiaz2012

I looooove this!!! After reading all of the GREAT reviews this product has gotten I decided to purchase it.

The things I like: its medium to full coverage, buildable, hides imperfections well (blemishes,
acne scars), provides a smooth foundation base and it has no smell.

I am still having trouble finding the right method to apply this foundation. Because it does dry quick, I would not recommend using a stippling brush. I've been using my fingers and so far this has given me the most clean and natural finish. It is a tad bit pricey at $36.00 but well worth it. I use MAC NC35 and use DW Tawny.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2012 12:43:00 AM More reviews by nygrlnca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far I am loving all the new shades...i used to use double matte a million years ago but all the colours were pink based...but so was everything at the time. It covers and smooths out all my acne marks without looking like a mask but it does seem to look a little white in pics. I like that it holds up against my super oily skin and the color match is pretty close to skin tone.I haven't broken out from it yet but will update soon. The packaging is ok but needs a pump...I'm glad I still had my MAC one because it fits...you just have to cut the tube a little to fit in the EL bottle.
Edit: It looks so fake on my skin...like a mask! I have tried changing shades and different applications and I can't get it to look even remotely natural... I really wished it could work for me:(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by ploydise

I love this product very much. I've finished about 3 or more bottles already. I wear make-up almost everyday and it does not break me out. However, this product is suitable for oily skin. Please be sure your skin is moisturized before applying it. If your skin is very dry and flaky, I do not reccommend because it will make your face look cakey and too made up.

I live in Thailand and the weather is VERY HOT so I'm sure it will last :). I only use blotting paper and touch up with loose powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by oonaghst

I prefer the reformulated version, I think it's got a bit more slip and is less heavy and less drying than the original. This suits me as I've got quite dry, mature skin and as long as I'm well moisturised beforehand, this foundation looks awesome and only a tiny bit is needed for a smooth, flawless and natural finish. I could never be matched colourwise before - I mean it was close, but never quite right, so I am sooo pleased to find that one of the new colours (beige) now matches me exactly. It's become my 'to go' foundation - love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 2:44:00 AM More reviews by xochristyxo

I LOVE this foundation and I'm hard to please. It lasts all day and has great coverage. I think it is one of the best foundations I've tried it all from almost every drugstore brand to Chanel Mac lancome ect..I also have the double wear light for days I don't want as much coverage but still lasts all day. I highly recommend this foundation. I have not yet found anything better. Also the MAC pumps fit on this bottle which makes it better but I'd prefer it come with the foundation already since its a bit pricey.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Labloah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've fallen in love with Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation, it's become one of those make up items I can see myself never wanting to be without, ever. I've been looking for a long wearing foundation that will last through a work day (I have a very physical job and can get sweaty, especially in summer, and most foundations just don't hold up). Up until this, I had been using MAC's Studio Fix powder, as it was full coverage and easy to touch up on the go, but would find I'd need to touch up two or three times over the day, even with primer and setting spray. But this is the ants pants, the foundation I've wished for but could never find. I never thought I'd find something.This stuff lasts, for hours and hours and hours. I can sleep in this and wake up still wearing it,

The colour range is good, from very pale, to very dark, and a nice selection of cool, warm and neutrals. I'm using Tawny, 3W1, which is a nice match for my gold, rose and peach undertones. Matches almost perfectly with my MAC Studio Fix in NC40

The best part though is the finish, there's a bit of sheen while it's going on, during application it is quite "wet" looking, but once it's dried down and set, it's almost matte and looks just like flawless skin. You do get a reasonable amount of working time for a long wear product too (though not as much as a regular liquid would give you), it doesn't set lightening fast, so you have enough time to blend it over your full face, though I do find it works best applying in sections. I find I get the nicest application with a duo fibre/stipple brush, as it allows me to stipple it on to disperse the colour evenly, then buff into place for a flawless finish. A foundation brush is good for applying too, and will be a little heavier in colour distribution, but doesn't give you the end result a stipple brush will. I've also tried with a flat top buffer, and that gives a nice coverage and finish too, plus I find using either the stipple or buffer, a quick spritz with water on the bristles will help to give a nice fluid coverage without the brush soaking up product. I blot over the top with rice powder while it's still moist looking to really set it well and to mattify further, and then brush any excess powder off with a large fan brush. Despite being a longwear, medium to high coverage foundation, it's not at all cakey, the finish is smooth, flawless, and just perfect. It doesn't make your face feel like a caked on, heavy foundation either, it still feels breathable, lightweight and flexible. And the best, best part? It lasts, truly lasts, and doesn't flake, crack, ball up, get cakey, or wear away oddly like some heavy coverage/longwear foundations do. It's just perfection. I do find if I need a little touch up on high wear areas like nose, chin and forehead if I've had a particularly warm day, I can get away with a little bit of MAC Studio Fix powder just on those areas, as mentioned previously, NC40 is a really good match with the Tawny.

If you're after a more natural look, it may not be for you, but it does come in a light variation (which I haven't tried).

Only down sides for me are the fact that it is so long lasting, it is a little difficult to remove, you need to wash your face well with a suitable cleanser, and a wash cloth definitely helps to remove it, or a cleansing brush. It's also a bit hard to remove from brushes, the fine bristles of the stipple brush I use can get quite hard and caked on if I don't wash it thoroughly straight after application, and if you leave it and don't wash immediately, it will dry hard on the brush. It can be removed through washing, but it does require just a little more effort than most. But it's a price I'm willing to pay for perfect foundation. I really only use my cheapest e.l.f brushes should it have any adverse long term effects on the brushes.

So if you're looking for long wearing, comfortable, flawless foundation, definitely give this a try. In Australia, Double Wear has seen a recent permanent price drop down from $68Au to $50Au, making it comparable to the MAC foundation I was wearing, and only about $12 more than Revlon's Colourstay, one of the other highly recommended long wear liquids (having only nine shades of Colourstay in Australia, it was very hard to find a match, and the finish was a little patchy on my skin). It's definitely worth that little bit extra.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2012 12:07:00 PM More reviews by thankful1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This has been reformulated. The new ingredients are as follows (copied from my box) 12/03/2012. I am putting them in here because someone keeps deleting them from the "Ingredients" listing above. (Many of us are very acne-prone and need to have an accurate and current ingredient list.)

New formula:
Ingredients: water/aqua/eau, cycolpentasiloxane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, butylene glycol, tribehnin, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, polymethylsilsequioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xantham gum, alumina, sodion dehydroacetate, disteardimonium hectorite, cellulose gum, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, phenoxyethanol, [+/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891)]

Original formula for comparison:
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 1.00% INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA PURIFICATA) PURIFIED, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE,TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, TRIBEHENIN, PEG/PPG-20/20 DIMETHICONE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, METHICONE, LAURETH-7, XANTHAN GUM, ALUMINA, BHT, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, CHLOROXYLENOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, [ /-(MAY CONTAIN)IRON OXIDES(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891)

20 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2012 5:56:00 AM More reviews by arcss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Estee Lauder re-edited the shades and the formula, it is not the same product any more! it´s much thinner, it doesn´t have the same coverage...I still have a bottle a the old stuff, the best foundation I've ever had.
To all the members who say "I don´t know what all the rave is about" it's simple, they changed the product, check the reviews on the US estee lauder site.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2012 10:01:00 AM More reviews by Jolie80

I m an outdoor sales rep, i need a foundation that covers well and last in a humid country. This works better than most foundations like color stay. Will continue to buy!