September 23, 2014 | 2072 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2012 8:41:00 AM More reviews by scooby12

This is my go to foundation, It goes on smooth, feels nice on and gives me lovely coverage that lasts.

I would say this is a heavy coverage foundation which I prefer to hide some of my freckles.

I don't really rate the packaging however, glass bottle not great for travelling. I believe that the same company own MAC and Estee Lauder and I have been told that the pump you can buy at the MAC counter works for this also. I have not bought one though, but I should.

I would recommend this foundation to anyone who wants a full coverage foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2012 2:45:00 PM More reviews by Raddit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I said I wouldn't buy this foundation again, but a more accurate answer is "maybe." I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation. First of all, it feels like slapping oily putty on your face and when it dries down, it feels like you have a clay mask on. If you are like me, you will feel like your face must have turned into a cakey mess and run for the nearest mirror, only to find that you still look flawless. This foundation is bombproof. This foundation, and pretty much the rest of whatever makeup you put on top of this, won't budge until you take it off. I've worn it to funerals, overnight camping trips (I was younger, please don't judge), full days of doing highlights and blowouts in the salon in the middle of summer, my wedding, anything where I need to look to good and need to know that my makeup won't move. Its great for after hangovers, covering acne, eczema, dark circles, texture issues - whatever. It will make you look porcelain doll perfect, no matter what is going on underneath. It is also my go to foundation for when I know I will be having my picture taken.
    Now you might be thinking to yourself, "Wow, so what is the problem? What is to hate?" Like I mentioned before, it feels awful on your skin, very heavy and kind of tight. And whenever I used this foundation longterm, my skin never looked good. It was like I could not ever get it truly clean. I had the same issues with my foundation brushes...like trying to clean skin colored glue off of them. And I used an oil cleanser for my face and olive oil and dish soap for my brushes!
    Bottom line...its not terribly expensive. But I really would not recommend it for daily wear. But its not a bad foundation to keep in your kit for those days when you really need it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2012 11:16:00 AM More reviews by RecycledTeenager

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had this foundation applied by the Estee Lauder consultant in Boots, after the Boots no. 7 consultant told me it was supposed to be a brilliant foundation! I have never had a problem with being allergic to any foundation in the past, but over the course of the afternoon (I had it done in my lunch break) my face felt itchy and tight and if I had been at home I would have cleansed my face to remove it. I didn't even like the effect of it as it was shiny which I did not want. Added to this, it didn't even cover well, so all in all I would definitely never buy it again or recommend it.

I have been looking for a good foundation with medium to full coverage as my skin tone has become uneven (the ageing process unfortunately!). Since I stopped taking HRT my skin has become much dryer and I want something that will not settle in lines and make my skin look worse. Since my skin has changed I have stopped using loose translucent powder over my foundation as I found that made my skin look worse, so I am looking for a foundation that will not be shiny nor too matte and dead looking. I am very confused by everything available! I was told by a Clinique consultant that I could still use a loose powder with light reflecting particles as that would make my skin look younger. I have tried 3 different Clinique foundations none of which have been suitable, as either too shiny or not enough coverage. I am using the Clinique dark spot corrector so hope this will soon start working. I would appreciate any help from other MakeupAlley reviewers. Thanks.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2012 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Xxkonixx

I duno what took me so long to finally try this foundation after i spent so much money trying a ton that don't work. I am acne prone, combination skin type with alot of current and past dark marks which i have try to cover with numerous foundation. The ones with good coverage tends to settle alot at dry scappy spots while others with lighter coverage that i had to spend long long time putting concealer on every single spots. And finally this foundation is workingggggg!!!!! I still have to use concealer but not nearly as much as before. The only thing is that i'm between colors so i had to buy two different colors (tawny and shell beige) and i'm an NC30. And another problem i have with it is that it's so matte that it looks very thick and shows every bumps on my face. But it's so hard for me to find a foundation that can blend so well on my face and do not bother my skin so i try to work with it to acquire the kind of finish i'm hoping for. At last i mix it with two drops of a liquid luminizer and the outcome is beautifulllll!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE: took two lippes out because it's quite drying as weather becomes colder.....and also not a fan of the flat matte finish......so everyday i had to mix it with luminizer and serum to make it work which is a hassle and expensive.......moved on to Nar's sheer glow...

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2012 4:27:00 PM More reviews by productobsess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just got a sample and tried Double Wear in Shell Beige which is great whilst I'm tanned for summer but will need to go lighter in a few months.

Despite other reviews I found the application very easy. The foundation was actually a quite thin- it runs out of the bottle easily. I had just done my clinique 3 step, well 5 step if you count everything, haha! I used my MAC 187 duo fibre brush and swirled it in a circular motion around the face. It dried evenly and provided great coverage, I applied a little more to the chin area to cover some blemishes and then I was totally flawless. I didn't really need to apply any powder due to the matte finish. As with all foundation I did not apply this directly under the eye area as I like to use touche eclat there. I don't think this foundation would look great right under the eye area due to its matte finish. Under the eye needs to be radiant and light reflecting to disguise dark circles.

I have dry/combination skin and usually use Laura Mercier Slik Creme in Hazelnut Beige but I can tend to look shiny in humid weather so decided to give Double Wear a go. I think I would stick to this for holiday nights out, when foundations seem to look shiny no matter what! But I do prefer the more 'luminous' look of Laura Mercier. Some reviewers did mention that Double Wear can look like a mask... I wouldn't go that far but can understand what people mean and think it's more down to the finish than the coverage.

It really does last a long time. I had a snooze in it and it did not transfer on to my pillows! The matte appearance can be helped by using a cheek illuminating blush/bronzer.

I may have to get a sample in a lighter shade and see how that looks when my tan fades!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by laurakeen

In my opinion this is the absolute best foundation out there. I've tried loads of other brands, some expensive-ish ones like Giorgio Armani, Clinique, Mac etc and none of them match this for coverage and staying power. Every time I run out of Double Wear I kid myself that I should save money and there must be an equally good, 'cheap' foundation. It's the same story every time, I spend £10-£12 on some revlon or loreal type product, put up with the rubbish coverage and oily skin for about a week, and then go back and buy Double Wear.
    Imho there's nothing that compares to it so although pricey (£27.50 for the last bottle) it's definitely worth it!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2012 11:22:00 AM More reviews by xkudax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation was a huge dissapointment! I'll start with its good points. It doesn't feel yucky like the mac foundations. It has staying power. Thats about it for me! I hate the dull finish that looks like a mask and he colour range to my nc50 range skin sucks. I tried both 6w1 and 6w2 and both didn't even look like human skin on me. After all the good things that I heard about it I was so disappointed considering I kind of impulsed purchased. Never again!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/4/2012 11:06:00 AM More reviews by summer028

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For the life of me.. I cannot get this foundation to look right on my skin.

The colour match (Ecru) is perfect, but no matter how I try to put it on. It sinks into my pores, creating little pools of foundation inside and making them look enormous. And also it sits on the very fine hairs on my face, which you can't even see otherwise.
    Once applied I do not notice these things when I look straight into my mirror, but when I walk into the bathroom and the rays of the sun hit my face at a side angle.. Oh God. Every time I applied it, I had to take it of, because on really close inspection, I could not leave the house like that.

Also, it irritates my skin and burns slightly when I touch it too much or use my stippling brush too vigorously.

It's just not for me. I wish it was. But it won't work :(

Other things I noticed:
    -better suited for oily skin
    -has a powdery, matte finish
    -dries quickly, won't budge
    -packaging is awful for the price segment
    -quite a neutral smell
    -definetely a foundation, you should try before the purchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2012 10:00:00 AM More reviews by RoxyOhSoFoxy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

HG! Love this stuff! Does wonders on my oily skin and covers acne scarring beautifully! I purchased this when i had a breakout frenzy and alot of acne scarring, when the SA put it on my skin i was like wow! That dont look like me!. Really amazing foundation, stops oils in its trackswhich might not be the best for dry skin gals (a little Fix +) will fix that. My only dislikes is that it looks like your wearing foundation, can feel heavy and doesnt have a pump! But i still re purchase it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2012 11:54:00 PM More reviews by bobadreamer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Skin Type: Very oily, acne-prone with post-acne pigmentation, and a few blemishes.

I'm SO sad this foundation breaks me out. I got a couple of samples from my local Nordstroms and pretty much everytime I've worn this foundation, I would break out pretty badly within the next couple of days. It's unfortunate because the color section is good, covers really well, the staying power is awesome, it's great for oily skin as it controls oil well and doesn't transfer or melt off my skin. Unfortunately, it doesn't agree with my skin, but I still highly recommend this for any oily ladies to try because if it agrees with your skin, it could very well be your holy grail foundation.