October 1, 2014 | 1159 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Expert Face Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by IamJasmine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

LOVE THIS BRUSH! The price is out of this world for what you get! I bought this from the RT site, and I think I only paid 8 or 9 dollars?! Either way, the brush has high high high quality, and I suggest buying this! It buffs foundation so well! I actually plan on buying more RT brushes. PS: I love watching Pixiwoo on YT, and that's how I found out about RT brushes! I also adore the way the handle is on this brush. It's an amazing brush! So soft!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I received this brush in a swap and love it as much as my other RT brushes. I use it mostly for blending--foundation in those spots where it tends to collect, cream blush--especially at the edges, concealer. It works great for all, cleans up easily, keeps its shape, it's super soft and comfortable on the skin, and it's cheap! Can't beat that combo. I won't be without this brush.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 11:34:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

I was trying to find something more economical than the Beautyblender to use for my foundation and heard a lot of good things about this brush. I was able to order it ridiculously cheap from iHerb using one of those new shopper codes for $5 off.

It's ... okay? It seems like a well built brush, although I don't fid it very attractive. Looks like it would last a good long while. The design eliminates concerns like moisture damage to a wood handle or ferrule loosening. I don't know that it's as soft as everyone says. It feels pretty much like a regular synthetic brush, in fact, I find Ecotools to be significantly softer-feeling (but the again most of them are a lot more floppy). I actually felt some discernable prickles on my face whe I used it to buff my foundation, and it left several very small black shed or broken-off hairs on my face the first time I used it.

It does a nice job of applying foundation, or rather of finishing foundation, since to get light coverage I fid it best to spread on the foundation with my fingers and then use the brush to even it out. My main concern with it is that my all-physical facial sunscreen is very important to me, and I can't help worrying that rubbing and twirling my fingers + a brush over it is going to compromise it. I ended up much preferring the BeautyBlender, because the bouncig motion I use with that leaves my sunscreen (ad my occasional flaky patches) completely undisturbed.

Maybe I would use it again for evening makeup without any sunscreen? I dunno. I'm going to experiment with using it as a blush or contouring brush. (UPDATE: I quite like using this for blush. I have a duofiber brush for pigmented blushes and usually for sheer blushes I use my Hakuhodo blush brush; but if I have my heavier sunscreen on, which tends to transfer to brushes and leave residue, I use the Real Techniques brush. It's roughly similar in shape, size and density (maybe not so much density but not too far off) so I can use it the same way, and I don't need to freak out about washing it too frequently.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Have a few of these too. I use it to apply my cream, gel and liquid foundations. Also great to apply cream/gel contour or highliters. If you spritz the head with water, you can also use it to apply your powder foundations perfectly.

Blends with the very best.

I am starting to hate all of my real animal hair brushes because of these. No smell, no shedding, always just right.

Buy without fear.

I wanted a 5 lippie on this review, but for some reason, I can only give it 4. What's up?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by deedrajean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One of the best liquid foundation brushes i've purchased. its soft and i've washed it multiple time so far and it is still in perfect condition. perfect size the only thing i dont like is the tip of the handel... its too fat it makes it hard to store in my makeup organizer. but none the less its an amazing brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 5:26:00 AM More reviews by tatcuya114

Absolute perfection. Love the brush for buffing foundation into the skin. Easy to wash and gets dry quickly. The bristles are the perfect balance between softness and stiffness for the buffing motion. I haven't used it for other purposes other than with liquid foundation. But it seems like a really versatile brush, so it's really great to take with you when travelling.

This brush is almost exceeds my holy grail shiseido foundation brush. It is easier to clean and dry, while the shiseido one is too dense to be cleaned thoroughly sometimes. I spot clean it everyday by rubbing it on a cotton pad soaked with rubbing alcohol. This method gets the foundation off the bristles easily (you can tell because the tip of the bristles is white). It's also a lot more inexpensive and spread the foundation more quickly than the shiseido brush.

My only complain is that I wish the handle was a little shorter. I'm pretty near-sighted. I often go quite close to the mirrior when I apply my makeup and sometimes the handle hits the mirrior when I'm too close. This doesn't happen with my shiseido brush, because it's got a much shorter handle. Other than this minor complain, this brush is just perfection to me. I don't live in the US or Europe, so it was a little bit of a hassle to get it from online. But I'm so happy that I got it and I would highly recommend it to everyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by samuellewis

If anyones looking for a great cream blender or a brush to go with soleil tan de chanel... THIS IS THE ONE! i use this to blend out my underye concealer contour triangle thing, the kim k way, but not directly under my eye as i dont want to tug i use a MAC 217 for that, and as said, goes great with the cream bronzer by chanel! worth a buy

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2013 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Smurf72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have bought one for each of my teen daughters and told them to blend blend blend on the jawline. I don't ever want to see another visible foundation line again. It almost makes me want to go Joan Crawford wire hangers on them. I know they are sleepy in the morning but BLEND it in please! With that said it is an EXCELLENT brush. Everyone should own one. I bought them at ULTA with a coupon for $3.50 off of $10.

8 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2013 10:03:00 AM More reviews by aldrinmoore

I watched someone use this on you tube against another chapman real techniques brush and you could tell it was the better one as she did half face with one and half with this ne.This one looked more flawless.
So I bought it and im quite impressed with it.I don't use it with powders just liquid foundation and it gives good results so im happy with it and glad I bought it rather than using my stippling one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2013 9:16:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

I don't I regret buying this - it's a great foundation brush, but it wasn't quite like I imagined it would be. Sam (creator of real techniques) DOES have a video for this brush, but, as a regular person, not a makeup artist, I don't think this really works well with powders. I absolutely love the Chapman sisters, but I feel this brush was a little bit of a let-down since I can't use it for powder. This is a long review, but I'm just trying to explain all of the things I didn't know myself before buying this.
First, I thought the brush-part of this brush would be bigger. Yes, I did see plenty of pictures and videos of this before buying, but I didn't think the brush-part would be as small as it actually is. As many others, I don't like the handle - I have a glass for my brushes + the brush get's a little harder to use because I usually hold onto it quite far down on the handle + it takes more space. I don't know if only I have this problem, but the taklon bristles get stained quite easily. My face handles this nicely, but this brush is a bit scratchy to my undereye area. If you have flaky skin, you might dislike this as it might lift the flakes.
I thought I would use this for blush or bronzer, maybe for power foundation. I kinda thought this would be a small fluffy brush, but it isn't fluffy - it's very dense - it's basically a very small kabuki on a long handle. No way I could use this for powder blush or bronzer - it leaves harsh streaks because it's NOT a good brush to blend powders with (for me), especially if they're very pigmented. While you can drag cream products around with a brush, powders look better if you don't drag them around. Also: because the brush is so stiff I feel it takes a good scoop out of my compact powder foundation - it kinda wastes a lot of product this way. Same goes with compact blush and bronzer.
I wouldn't recommend this for powder foundation or mineral powder foundation. You would work them well into your skin, but this is so small that it would take a long time. It would be easier to apply foundation-powders evenly with a bigger kabuki or just a bigger powder brush.
If you own a good kabuki, you may have noticed that you need to press it a little into your skin when using it. To work products into your skin you need to keep the brush on your face with a small steady pressure - it's quite difficult to blend something if the kabuki barely touches your skin. I think this brush, which is like a tiny kabuki, is made in such a way that it mainly works for cream and liquid products. I have never come upon a brush like this, but I will attempt to explain how you can use it:
- For liquids: the brush doesn't absorb a lot of product - because of this you can get quite good coverage with it. It does NOT work like a duo-bristle brush, which you can lightly swirl over your skin - you actually have to press this a little into your skin to blend your product. I would recommend first spreading the foundation in a swirling motion, then blend in downwards in strokes. This brush, luckily, doesn't leave streaks on the face, at least it didn't on me. I find this brush VERYgood for liquid foundations - I like the shape better for liquid foundation than flat top brushes or flat foundation brushes. If you want a brush for liquid foundation, I would recommend this - it works very well!
- People with big pores may like this because soft brushes or fingers might not cover their pores well enough, while this works foundation into the skin
- This brush blends creams quite easily because it's quite stiff, BUT I have a couple of cream foundations that are pretty hard, and this doesn't blend them well - they need to be warmed up by fingers first, or they apply patchy. Most cream, liquid or stain blushes should be good to blend with this
- If you don't like to blend your products into your skin, you will probably only manage to use this with highlighters
I bought this brush from iherb.com. They ship nearly all over the world and they have also lowered their cheapest shipping prize from $6 to $4. If you're a first time customer, you can use my coupon code JUZ808 and get a discount of $5 (if shopping for less than $40) or $10 (if shopping for more than $40).
I also want to say how the code works: if you use it, I get a small percentage of the price you paid. Yes: people earn money when you use their code. If you feel strongly negative about this, you can use iherb's own code ABC123, and only iherb will earn money from your buy.

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No