April 17, 2014 | 1513 users online

BB Cream - Smashbox - Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2012 11:18:00 PM More reviews by audz33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I was looking for a tinted moisturizer with good coverage and the Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream was recommended to me by a sales associate at Sehpora. I tried the medium shade on my hand and it matched great and felt so smooth on my skin! In comparing a few swatches of other tinted moisturizers, it definitely covered the most (medium coverage). Upon taking the product home, I applied the BB cream on my face with my fingers after moisturizer. It blends in well and doesn't take a lot of product to cover your entire face. It leaves a dewy finish and makes your skin feel so silky smooth.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by lvmymakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin and large pores to start off with so I was hesitant to try this. I bought the medium color and believe me it looks scary dark in the tube but it blends in perfect to my skin. My skin feels and looks softer. If you want heavy coverage I suggest you use a powder over it, I think a liquid foundation might feel to heavy applied over this. A little goes along way, and it feels weightless on my skin. It doesn't help so much control oil but nothing a little powder can't help.
I would def buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2012 4:59:00 PM More reviews by helster83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using the sample for 2 weeks, interchangably with Stila Perfect and Correct. They are both comparable because they are light-medium coverage, all in one kind of deals.

Anyway, there are 2 great points about the smashbox bb cream: 1) spf 35, 2) it feels like i'm wearing nothing at all on my skin. My usual issue with skin foundations is that it looks cakey due to my oily skin, the smashbox bb cream does not cause an oily mess on my face. Excellent.

Only gripes:
1) Smashbox makes all these vague claims, with how it's a 5 in one: hydrates, primes, perfects, controls oil, and protects. Hydrates? I don't know, I find it rather drying actually. Primes, maybe, haven't tried it but I'm sure it'll work. Perfects? I dunno about that either. Controls oil: yes, protects: yes (it's SPF 35).

2) It's not easily spreadable. I end up using a lot of it to get it around my entire face.

3) It's only 1oz for $40. Pretty freaking expensive.

Overall: I think it's versatile in the sense that it can be used alone or with another foundation. For my skin, I like the fact that it makes my skin feel like I'm wearing zero makeup at all throughout the day. There is no runny, oily mess on my face (although my T zone does tend to get pretty oily regardless, it has been much more manageable). There is no cakiness or dryness of the skin.

I don't think this is for everyone. It won't conceal your imperfections as much as MAC studio concealer, it won't cure your cystic acne (although it might be better than other foundation chioces for your skin), it also won't cure your dry skin (might make it worse).

Update: I've gone back and forth with different products. I have found that the other products look a bit cakey on my skin and caused a few stray pimples to pop up on my face. Every time I return to the smashbox bb cream, my skin texture just feels better and the pimples start to dry up. I just wish there was more than 1oz in the tube! It's my official everyday tinted moisturizer. 5 lippies as of today.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2012 9:55:00 PM More reviews by ConjureLass

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product claims to do the jobs of multiple other items all in one tiny bottle of bb cream. I can safely say it doesn't. There's no way with the amount of coverage this has that I would be able to replace my foundation with it. It does, however, work well as a corrector/concealer, and i've used it as an eyelid primer with success. Not exactly what was promised, especially for forty dollars.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

NC25, red undertones, old acne discolorations.

When I tried this, I finally felt comfortable enough to return the Temptu machine (even when the Sephora SA asked why, I had come in w/ 1/2 done in this BB and the other 1/2 in Temptu... she agreed, the BB side was better). Med to buildable full coverage, so this will be heavy for people used to the Asian BBs. For my large cheek pores, I still need primer and do get shiny by end of day w/out any blotting. I'm excited for the beginning to the end of a new foundation search during my "beauty routine shakeup". If you're NC25, you can read my "BB" lists in "My Wishlist" to get my thoughts on MANY brands.

BTW, this wears virtually identical to the Lioele Dollish Veil Vita in Green (for half the price) for me, but this is easier to blend.

Update 1/20/12: I am learning I'm lazy and do not care for the high maintenance of a primer and dealing w/ the shine, darn my porous oily skin! Compared to Boots Nude, Boots is slighter warmer in tone and fuller coverage. I'll keep looking.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2012 2:18:00 AM More reviews by betteefelon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am in head-over-heels LOVE. I have combination, light-medium skin, with a good amount of discoloration and unevenness. I am also obsessed with having a high SPF in my face products. I love the way this looks and feels on my skin -- practically like I'm not wearing anything. Whoever said this felt greasy is bonkers. It feels like nothing at all, in a good way. It has a pretty natural-looking finish (not dewy, not chalky). It has moderate coverage -- better than a tinted moisturizer, but not full coverage. I'll still spot-conceal in a few spots. I am so happy about the high SPF 35. Being able to go from a separate primer, moisturizer, sunscreen, and foundation to a single step has me SOLD. EDIT: I am not as head-over-heel as I once was. It's still a good product, but it is pretty thick. Not ideal for summer, although still pretty good. Anyway, 4 stars seems fair. :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2012 9:55:00 PM More reviews by Laurel15

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My skin looked lifeless with this on, plus it made me break out. Avoid this if you're acne-prone.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Laurel15

Warning: This made me break out terribly! Wasn't crazy about it as a foundation, either. It's sheer like a tinted moisturizer and doesn't cover redness very well. Too bad, because I really need something now that my entire face is broken out. Avoid this if you're prone to acne.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2012 7:08:00 PM More reviews by oohollyoo

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

All the Korean bb creams are too light and leaves a grey cast. I was excited that Smashbox came out with one with darker shades however, medium is too dark for my nc 35 skin. I needed a shade lighter but this was an online purchase and my local Sephora doesn't carry it. I used it alone and with my too faced amazing powder. I think this is best for dry-normal skin. It feels like a moisturizer and gives minimal coverage but good enough to even out my skin tone. You will need a concealer for pimples, dark circle, and scars. I have combination/acne prone skin and it doesn't break me out. There's a glow it gives off so if you like a matte finish, this is not for you. Makes you look dewy. I mix this with my bb cream from The Face Shop (non-returnable store), called oil cut because it's too light and set it with powder. I get great coverage and a natural finish. No more moisturizer and primer or sun screen for me. My friends thought I wasn't wearing any makeup and complimented my skin. I might buy it again with the right shade but I'm always up for trying new things. My only gripe is that there's so little product for almost $40. This does remind my of Physician's Formula tinted moisturizer spf50.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/5/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: The only way I could make this work was by mixing it with the same brand's 15 Hr. foundation (one of my faves). The mixture resulted in a easy-to-blend, medium coverage foundation. It can, of course, be made sheerer or fuller, depending on how much of each is blended.

However, I'm totally underwhelmed by these BB creams. To me, they are nothing but glorified TMs. Oh, well. This trend will pass too.

------

There's a good deal of bruh-ha-ha going on about these BB creams ... and I'll be dashed if I can understand why. With one solitary exception (Clinique), the ones I tried were all greasy, sheer-coverage ... make that, NO coverage. And the colors were off, to say the least.

This new release by Smashbox is no different. I got a generous sample from one of the lovely girls at my local Sephora. The color I chose is Light, which is a good match. And that's the end of the good news. It blends nicely but that's only because it's so, uh, emollient (greasy). Coverage is nil, although I don't have pimples or dark acne scars (though I'm sure there will be the usual number of wishful-thinkers, who will convince themselves that this gives them coverage - a curious and recurring phenomenon, these days). And if you're oily, there's NO WAY you can wear this w/o powder and not look like a basted turkey in no time flat.

And all that joy for the modicum sum of $39? I don't think so. I'll pass.