April 20, 2014 | 1924 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Discontinued and Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2013 9:43:00 AM More reviews by samisnowwhite

This is a great foundation I have the one for normal / dry skin in shade 150 Buff it's so light but has really high coverage and is also a very build able foundation. It really feels like your not even wearing anything on your face when wearing this! the only 2 things I hate about this is the bottle. there's no pump and its glass so you can't lightly squeeze it to get some out either. You have to pour. I find with this sort of packaging I always use more product and its true i finished this foundation a lot quicker than I do with my others. I also think its a little over priced for drug store , but I will defo buy again because it is a very good quality foundation .

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2013 7:41:00 AM More reviews by mmmmmoostache

This product is great for those who have combination to oily skin, i however do not so this product was not for me. Because I have dry to normal skin the foundation looked amazing on some areas on my face but clinged to other dryer areas of my face. It also takes some time to learn how to apply this foundation as it can easily look cakey but if you have combination to oily skin then i really recommend this foundation but if not, STAY AWAY :)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by nofear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had been using MUFE HD for about 2 years thinking that was the best a foundation could get. Thought it was my HG. I thought since it was high end it was the best. Decided to try Revlon Colorstay to use on my legs as it was cheaper. Decided to use it on my face. This works waay better than MUFE HD for me. Using MUFE i would get oily fast and the color match was a little off but I'd correct that with MAC MSF. With Colorstay my face stay pretty matte for the most part. My face no longer gets oily. Definitely long lasting. The color match is also better than MUFE. LOVE this foundation. Makes me realize drugstore products can be better than high end.

Good for oily skin girls in the oily formula.

Persons here are saying it is expensive for a drugstore foundation. But it works better than MUFE which is $42.

Reference: MUFE HD-173, Colorstay- Caramel

Only con is i wish it had a pump. It sucks having to turn the bottle upside down and shake it especially when it is running out. 1 star off for packaging. The bottle is glass and I've dropped it about 2 times but it hasn't broken, Pretty sturdy glass. Still wish it was plastic though. But it doesn't bother me that much.

It has a smell but it doesn't bother me. I actually kind of like it. And it fades so its not that big a deal

A little bit gives a lot of coverage. I have a lot of acne spots. And a little bit covers most of them. I use less concealer. If you use too much it looks mask like and cakey as with most foundations.

I usually NEVER leave reviews. This is my 1st review ever. That's how great I think it is. New HG foundation.

UPDATE: Now that summer is over. this foundation is too dark and red. i have to mix it with 370 toast to get a match which is a hassle especially since there is no pump. shade range is too limited. minus 1 star.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2013 11:19:00 AM More reviews by foreverwondering

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have had a bit of a problem with foundations because although I have quite red, blemished skin with only an oily T-zone, foundation only lasts a couple of hours on me. This got good reviews, so I decided to try it.

PROS:
    - The skin tone 'Buff' suits my face and gives me a nice fair look if you like having light skin
    - With pressed powder it gives a nice, sort of powdery finish but still looks natural.
    - Doesn't break me out.
    - With any cheap foundation brush the texture looks quite good. (I advise a more expensive stippling or face expert brush though)

CONS:
    - If you need quite a bit of coverage, you always have to apply it down your neck so it doesn't look uneven and it gets all over your top/shirt collar.
    - Although everyone says this really long lasting, on me it only lasts around 4 hours despite the fact my face is only slightly combination.
    - If you apply it with a sponge or your fingers it looks really cakey, smeared and obvious.
    - It was pretty pricey for a drugstore foundation, it was almost £14 from Boots, but still not really a con.
    - This is quite rare but sometimes if you have some blackheads or spots they can show through after a couple of hours.
    - The packaging is awful! They don't have a pump or anything, so you have to leak some onto your hands and you end up pouring too much out.
    - It sometimes can feel quite uncomfortable

Overall this foundation is actually not that bad despite the amount of cons. I might repurchase it every now and then if I had no other option I would choose it, but since I never repurchase the same foundation I won't be buying it again.
    My opinion is only suited for me or people with similar skin, so I advise you try a sample instead of judging everyone else's views.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2013 4:00:00 AM More reviews by UniJ

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

One of the best foundation I've ever came across! I've heard many good things about this one so I decided to give it a try. It stays on my face really well and does considered moisturising (does not dry out face), although obviously it does not last for full 24 hrs, oil starts coming out of my face after eight to nine hours of use. I like how there are many shades from us to choose from, and my shade is Buff, so you can imagine how light my skin tone is. Sometimes it can be hard for me to find the right shade from other brands they tend to give me a yellow-y finish. Once I found this right one I don't think I'll be going back to the other brands although it is a little pricey here, at least for teenagers.

Coverage is pretty high, but I still do recommend people to use a concealer with this. I guess the level of coverage can be controlled over the type of applicators you use. I normally use a stippling brush which gives an airbrushed finish with high coverage, and sometimes a simple makeup sponge if I want a sheer coverage and natural finish. (It gives a MATTE finish too!)

Bottle has a very standard look, not too small or big, just the right size. It's made of glass, some people may not like it since it's not ideal for travelling, but I like the classy not-so-cheap-looking look, so this is pretty perfect for me. The newer version came with a pump which makes things a whole lot easier, you can simply pump out the amount you use (Usually one pump is more than enough). However, the pump is made of cheap plastic, so don't expect it to work perfectly well, sometimes you have to give a little twist in order for the product to flow out! I've got a problem with it once, the foundation spilled everywhere on my clothes and bed sheets, but luckily the stains can be removed easily once its put into the washing machine!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Eelmer

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used this foundation for years until my skin changed because of menopause. I tried Merle Norman, Lancôme, Este Lauder, Smashbox, Bare Minerals, studio gear, well let's just say all of them. Lol. I always come back to this one. Does not sink into large pores, color match great, not too heavy. I have combination skin now and this works perfectly to cut grease at the end of the work day. I have spent a lot of $ on foundations trying to find a better product when I did not have to. I will not waste my money anymore and will only buy Colorstay from now on! Thanks Revlon! Great product at an affordable price that for me is superior to all!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2013 11:19:00 AM More reviews by HairWaves

This product is great and affordable. Covers well, and does not make my oily skin shiny. It does not feel heavy and really does last throughout the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2013 9:49:00 AM More reviews by kimberlyraff

This has been my go to foundation for years now, until I found Laura Mercier's silk creme foundation. I love this foundation so much because it's affordable, easy to apply and lasts the whole day on my oily skin. The smell is a little paint like, but bearable and the coverage is fantastic. It covers all my little pimples, blackheads and dark circles surprisingly. If you're someone who's just starting out with foundations and need one that you can count on, I definitely suggest the ColorStay.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by xstarb0rn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this foundation on and off for the last three years-- Around the time I started wearing makeup. Since I have tried this makeup, I have not found another foundation that I can rely on like this one other than the new formulation of it called, "Colorstay Whipped Foundation." The texture of this foundation is quite thick. It's honestly the thickest foundation I've used other than the Maybelline Superstay 24 Hour Foundation. This foundation is absolutely full coverage. It's so thick that it can be used as a concealer on spots that are less than perfect. The foundation covers redness and even pimple scabs that might be on the face. I do not believe this foundation has caused me to break out more than I normally would have. The only issue that I do have with this foundation, as well as its newer form, is that around my mouth is where it seems to break down the most. It almost breaks down as soon as I apply it there. I have to use a decent amount of face primer around my mouth to ensure that I won't have issues. To me this isn't a huge deal since I've learned to just smudge it in place if that happens. Plus, I wear lipstick most of the time. I have heard a few times that the Revlon Colorstay Foundation is a complete and utter dupe for the MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. All in all, this foundation is for the women (or men) that need or want full coverage for their less than perfect skin. Sorry if this is a bit jumbled; I'm writing this while I'm tired. :p

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2013 8:35:00 AM More reviews by DaniDeelish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm part of the minority that doesn't like this product. This was the first foundation I ever used, so I thought it was good then. Now, after discovering many other great foundations, I no longer like this one.
    I have the "Normal-Dry Skin" formulation of this foundation
    ****ABOUT MY SKIN****
    -I have normal-dry skin. Dry around my chin, nose and mouth, pretty much normal everywhere else.
    -I dont really have acne (just a few acne scars), but I have horrible hyper-pigmentation and redness on my cheeks (which requires a medium-full coverage foundation to cover it up).
    ****SHADE REFERENCE****
    -I am a MAC "NW15", and a "Gobi Light 3" in NARS Sheer Glow. I have very pink undertones.
    -I used this foundation in the lightest shade (forgot what it was called, as I threw out the bottle). it was a fairly decent shade match however.
    ****FOUNDATION CONSISTENCY & FINISH****
    -The foundation is a thick liquid in consistency. Still liquidy, but not too liquidy. Will run down your hand, but slowly. A little goopy.
    -The finish (for the normal-dry formula) is natural IMO. Definitely not dewy/glowy. More on the matte side. Kind of semi-matte IMO.
    ****APPLICATION****
    This is the part I struggle with with this foundation. It's just so darn difficult to work with. I'm one of those people that likes to really take their time blending in my foundation. I usually take 5-10 minutes on my foundation on its own, as I like to really take my time blending it in. I was never able to just slap it on in 30 seconds and be happy with the way it looks. If you're like me in this sense, you will find this stuff a pain to work with. It sets VERY quickly, so you have to work very fast. Do one section of your face at a time (use the forehead, nose, chin and each cheek as a separate sections, and work on each section at a time. Finish one, move on to the other. Don't dot all over your face and then try to blend. You will be left with a streaky mess). Because it sets so fast, I can't use my usual Real techniques Expert face brush followed by the beauty blender technique. I go in straight with a damp beauty blender, and kind of quickly stamp it over my face (in sections). Best way I have found to apply it.
    ****PROS****
    -This foundation has nice, medium-full coverage, so it will cover pretty much anything you need to it cover
    -Has great staying power. Will stay on absolutely all day, as long as you need it to. Will withstand heat, sweat, etc.
    -Fairly good colour match for pale people (can't comment on the colour match for the darker ladies)
    -Comes in 2 formulas; normal-dry and oily-combination.
    -Can be found at every drugstore, and for a reasonable price in most countries (over $30 in Australia, however).
    ****CONS****
    -If you read the section I wrote under 'application', you will know my first con. Soo difficult to blend and work with. Frustrating for people like me who like to take their time with foundation application (read under 'application' for more)
    -Is very heavy on the skin. You can definitely feel that you have it on. It doesn't let your skin breathe, feels like a mask on. I don't mind this too much, I'm used to wearing the heavier foundations, but just keep this in mind. If you don't like to feel like you have foundation on, not for you.
    -I don't understand this formula. It claims to be for normal-dry skin(can also get one for oily/combo skin), but it's horrible on my normal-dry skin. It accentuates every single dry patch on my face, even ones I didn't know about. it's also not dewy/glowy at all. I don't understand how this would be specifially for normal-dry skins. This is the #1 reason I gave this foundation a low rating. It acts like the most drying foundation on my skin, and for one that claims to be for normal-dry skin, that's horribly disappointing. I honestly thought the wrong formula was pored in to my bottle (so much so that I actually bought a second bottle of the same formula, just to make sure it wasn't a mistake. Nope, still horribly drying) CONFUSED.DO.NOT.UNDERSTAND.
    -The SPF 6 is pathetic (the bottle I have says SPF 6 on it, not sure if all are like that). I mean, SPF 6, really? That's hardly going to protect you form any sun exposure, but I find that it's enough SPF to flash back in flash photography. Not as much as most other SPF foundations, but still enough to make my face look a tad lighter than my body. If you're going to put SPF in a foundation, make it like SPF15-30 so it protects somewhat decently. If you want to put in a low amount of SPF, skip it out all together so it doesn't flash back (can always wear sunscreen underneath for every day wear). SPF6 is enough to flash back a little for me (won't for everyone though), but not enough to protect. Worst of both worlds.
    -The foundation can look heavy/cakey on the skin. I find if you do 1 thin layer of it, it's not a problem, but any more than 1 layer and it starts to look heavy/obvious/a little cakey on my skin, so be careful how much you apply.
    -I find this stuff still transfers a little on to clothing. Hardly, and much less than most foundations, but still a tiny bit.
    -Dried to a kind of powdery finish, so it just looked really un-healthy on my skin. I just want to slap on some moisturizer when i look at my skin. Too powder looking. May be great for oily skinned gals though
    -The bottle is awful. Glass, so not good for travel, but also has a horrible, no-pump hole. And because it's not a very runny foundation, can get a little annoying trying to make it come out. Didn't really think the packaging through.
    ****BOTTOM LINE****
    The fact that it's soo damn drying was a complete turn off. Not what I was expecting from a normal-dry formulation. Too difficult to blend, which made me not want to try to put it on in the morning. Gave it 2 stars for the great coverage and lasting power. Will never repurchase, as I have dry skin, so foundations tend to last reasonably well on me, but I can find foundations that last well but aren'

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No