Maybelline Super Stay 24 Hour Concealer

3.3

Aqua/Water/Eau, Isododecane, Propylene Glycol, Diisocetyl Dodecanedioate, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Nylon 12, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Talc, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Propylene Carbonate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Methylparaben, Polysorbate 20, Disodium EDTA, Butylparaben, May Contain (+/-): (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide Yellow), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides)

on 5/22/2011 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

PACKAGING: The packaging is pretty good, with the doe-tip applicator, and it doesn't get messy, so it's great for transport.

COVERAGE: It is a medium to full coverage concealer, depending on how much you use. I find that it's also buildable.

LASTING POWER: It claims to last for 24 hours. I've worn it for a 12 hour day, and found that it lasts pretty well for that amount of time. It wasn't perfect, but I would definitely call it a long-lasting concealer.

BLENDING: This stuff dries fast, so do your face a section at a time.

PRICE: This was an average price for a ds concealer, around $6 at Walmart.

OVERALL: I really like this concealer for the undereye area, because it really stays. However, it might become cakey if your skin is dry, so be sure to moisturize and/or prime well before use.

on 5/21/2011 10:57:00 PM

Positive:

* Good coverage.
* True to it's name, it is really long lasting and DOES stay there throughout the whole entire day.
* Good for blemishes.

Negative:

* Difficult to blend (requires moisturised skin or primer before application).
* Becomes cakey throughout the day, or settles into fine lines beneath eyes.
* Dries almost instantly.
* Limited colour range (many do not suit most skin tones)
* A little pricey for a drug store product (approx. $14 AUD)

My own experience:

When I first began using this concealer (as it was my first... and a bad choice for a first time) I was at a loss on how to apply it. For most people, you place several dots beneath the eyes before blending. This concealer, however - dried almost instantly and my undereye area became cakey looking, and did not match my skin tone.

I realised that since it was such a dry substance, I needed to have moisturised the area with moisturiser or primer before use. This helped a lot, and made the product a lot easier to blend (for the "natural" look). Throughout the day though, it had a tendency to settle into fine lines beneath my eyes, and accentuate them.

Overall, it did have good coverage for my dark circles, and was extremely long lasting (recommended for people with long hour shifts). It's a little pricey for a d/s product, and I wouldn't consider repurchasing.

on 5/15/2011 2:20:00 PM

I've been using this concealer for about a month now after seeing positive reviews on YT and I'm really liking it. I am super fair-skinned and not too sensitive but def. breakout prone if I use the wrong product. I use this a couple different ways - I have the Ivory shade (which I use alone under my eyes as a brightener or after any other liquid MU I might be using that day and before powder.) I also have the Cream shade which I use more for blemishes. I purchased both shades at Rite Aid and noticed in my Walgreens the other day that the shade names might be different (don't know if they changed or something?)

This product wears very well on me, re: ALL day (I do use a powder to set) and I can get away w/just this and a setting powder on a day I feel like skipping fndt, It covers well and hasn't broken me out. A bit pricey for d/s, but worth the cost b/c it def. gets the job done. The one negative I did notice is that my eyes will sometimes water if I get it too close @ my undereye, and I like to get as close to the lashline as possible so that's a bit dissappointing.

As a side note, the eye-watering may be due to the tinted garnier rollerball I sometimes use under the superstay, which I also love and will do a separate review on. I'm going to have to do a process of elimination test to figure it out, but these products are both relatively new to me and one of them is def. making my eyes water. Also, I can sometimes get away with the tinted version of the garnier alone as an undereye concealer which is awesome, but I have a feeling this is the product that is causing the issue due to whatever ingredients it incorporates to 'depuff' the area- so I'm thinking it may not be the superstay causing the problem. (Sorry this review has kind of gotten all over the place :)

I agree w/other reviews which mention that when using the superstay concealer (on any section of the face) you have to work w/one area at a time and blend rather quickly b/c while it will blend out well, it tends to set almost immediately in some areas. I find a patting motion with my fingers gives me the best coverage. I have noticed that in my oiliest areas (nose!) it is more difficult to get this concealer to 'stick' in place, but 2 coats usually fixes that issue. Also, I def. use a waterproof makeup remover prior to washing my face to get all traces of this off at the end of the day. Overall, I really like this concealer and would repurchase.

* Note: this is a separate review for the Dream Mousse Concealer. I've been wanting to try this concealer and thought I missed my chance as I'd heard it was d/c, however I found it @ my Rite Aid today - they had the full color range and were well stocked - yay! I couldn't add a review for the product (I'm assuming b/c it is noted as d/c) but I wanted to mention it here. This isn't a full review as I literally just purchased this a few hours ago so I've only played around with it a little, but so far I'm LOVING it and I'm going back to get a backup (and maybe a shade darker. I purchased what I believe is the lightest shade fair/light 0-1, which works well w/my skin tone atm, but I want to get the next shade up for summer.)

I cannot yet speak for the staying power or whether there will be any negative skin reactions (fingers-crossed on a big NO for that.) This product smooths on beautifully and I only need a bit. Now, it wasn't the greatest I've seen for spot coverage but I adore the way it evens out my skin tone and helps w/mild discoloration I have from old acne scarring. Also, it seems to help hide my large pores (not sure yet whether there will be a settling issue, but since it seems to lay on top of the skin, I'm optimistic on my chances of not having a problem.) I'm not sure if I would regularly use this as an undereye concealer, b/c I think it might get a little crepey or settle into fine lines, but I'm hoping that's not the case b/c it covered my dark circles really well.

I'm not super crazy about the packaging as I don't like carrying glass containers in my MU bag, and I don't usually love pot form due to bacteria issues. I do however feel pot form is necessary due to the 'mousse' consistency/texture of this product, and I can get around the issue by getting the product on a brush, placing on the skin and then using my clean fingers to smooth out, which I think is going to prove the best application method. I haven't tried the dream fndt (not sure of the full name) but I could easily see using this concealer alone on days I don't feel like dealing with fndt or if I'm in a rush b/c it smoothed over large areas like a dream (pun intended, but true.) Lastly, it removed easily w/a makeup wipe, which I'm hoping is a good sign b/c staying power is def. of high importance to me in a concealer. I hope I continue to love this product and can find more in stores. I'll update if anything changes, but so far, so good!

on 5/8/2011 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have this in Ivory 10, the lightest shade. I don't have the worst dark circles, but have alot of blemishes and redness that needs that extra coverage. This is great for that. It is easy to use and blends away but not very build-able. I find it cakes up fairly easily so I can only use the slightest bit. I'm not too fond of the packaging, makes it harder to get every last drop of concealer out which is the only reason why I wouldn't buy again.

on 5/7/2011 3:23:00 PM

I've been using this concealer for about a week now and love it! It really does stay on ALL day long, it just doesn't budge and it really does have excellent coverage and a matte finish. I like this better than mac's select coverage concealer because this one conceals better. The trick to using this is to blend immediately. It does begin to dry as soon as it hits your skin which I am sure has something to do with it's staying power. Just dab the tiniest amount and blend with finger.

on 4/26/2011 2:35:00 PM

I love this concealer! I use it everyday to conceal uneven skin and occasional breakouts. The wand works perfectly for application, use a fluffy brush to blend. If you put too much on it gives you a very cakey effect though. Not good for coverage under your eyes.

on 3/23/2011 5:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I think this stuff works great under my eyes. It is somewhat drying and i dont usually have to set this with powder. And it does last a VERY long time. I work 12 hour shifts and when I get home, i dont look sleepy. Everyone wonders why i dont look tired all the time! Love it. Possibly a HG product.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i absolutely love this concealer! this and the mineral power concealer by maybelline are my two favorite concealers by maybelline. i usually layer my concealers, but these two cover up most of my dark circles, bags, & discoloration. i set them both with my mac studio fix powder or my msf natural. (:

on 3/15/2011 3:18:00 AM

At first I didn't like this concealer. I thought it looked cakey. Then I realized I was using it wrong, and now I quite like it. What I was doing wrong was that I was applying way too much. I'm used to applying my liquid concealer in dots on areas of concern, then waiting a while til it dries a bit so I won't blend it right away, and then blending all these dots. This concealer starts to dry as soon as you put it on, so you have to apply & blend right away before going on to the next area. I actually prefer this as it saves me time waiting for it to dry. Also, you really only need a little bit of product. It's a seriously small amount of product compared to what I use in other concealers. Yet the coverage of this is better than any other concealer I've tried. The fact that you only need so little is both a good and a bad thing. Obviously it's very economical and it means the coverage is great, but it's also very easy to overdo it and if you do you'll be stuck with a cakey look.
For me it does not settle into lines under my eyes and it stays put all day. It does however accentuate flakes. I don't usually have any flakiness so I don't mind, but if you do then I would not recommend this. I mainly use this on my face. It looks fine under my eyes as well but I prefer my gosh concealer for that as it is a bit creamier.
I have this in the color 2 light/beige clair, which is a good match for me (fair skin with neutral to yellow undertones). I use the Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in 8 golden sand in summer and 3 in winter, also good match.
The packaging is fine. It's not exceptionally pretty but it is functional. It feels sturdy, the product does not spill over the top when used and the applicator picks up the right amount of product.
The price is reasonable too. I paid 8 euros I think. I think that is very decent for a concealer with such good coverage.
Overall, after a rough start I ended up really liking this product. It dries fast so I don't have to wait anymore, you only need a very little amount so it's economical, if you don't apply too much it looks natural, the coverage is the best I've seen so far and it stays put all day. The downfall is that it's easy to overdo and then it will look cakey. It also accentuates flakes and I probably would not recommend this for people with dry skin.

on 3/11/2011 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I brought this in 'Cream' to use as an under-eye concealer as I needed a new one. The formula is quite thick so it wasn't ideal to use for the under-eye area. It went on pretty smoothly, and blended away into my skin. I wouldn't use this again for the eye area as it did cake up around there, and settled into my lines. I did also use this on some red areas on my face, and on blemishes, and that really helped to brighten up my face. I will use up what I have left, but won't repurchase. Still in search for a good drugstore concealer!