September 17, 2014 | 1302 users online

Polishes - Essie - Mint Candy Apple

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2009 4:16:00 AM More reviews by silenceincolour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted Chanel's Jade and literally missed out on buying it by several hours. After that, I was determined to get a light green, and when I saw Essie's Mint Candy Apple, I thought I'd buy it when I went to Ulta. It's a little bluer than I wanted (in comparison to Jade), but it's an absolutely gorgeous color, and I'm extremely happy with it. It goes on very well- is almost opaque in one coat. I found that putting Essie's Matte About You over it makes the green show up more, so I tend to wear it matte. This color is gorgeous regardless and I would definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2009 12:20:00 AM More reviews by lavenderbleu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a really cute color. I love anything light green and green/blue and this color definitely fits in that category. It actually looks slightly more blue and slightly darker once applied, than in the bottle though. I wish it were a bit lighter, but I still like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2009 10:22:00 AM More reviews by amnichols2

<3 this color! I missed out on Peppermint Patti, and ever since I've been looking everywhere for the perfect mint green. I literally spent all summer trying to track something down, and I was so excited when I found ads for this in several November issues of different magazines. I went to Ulta bright and early the day that it was released, picked up a bottle, and finally tried it today. LOVE IT. The color is a perfect cool mint, and it went on with 2 coats; it's not streaky at all. I guess this is going to break up my usual winter rotation of dark green, dark purple, and dark wine!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2009 10:56:00 PM More reviews by BaileyS01

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this polish since I saw it in a November magazine (Marie Claire, I think?)! Well its finally hit the stores and I was able to snatch up the last bottle at Ulta this evening. I could not wait to paint my nails with it and let me say, I am sooo excited and happy with it!! This color looks on my nails exactly the color in the bottle. I was worried it would be very sheer but with two coats, I got the perfect opaque color. My skin is fair and sometimes pastels tend to wash me out but this one doesn't. I am sooo excited that this color lived up to my high expectations!! I'll probably be sporting it all winter :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2009 10:23:00 PM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

MCA is amazing! The color is the exact color of the green in mint chocolate chip ice cream. Exact. Its so pretty, so ultra girlie and chic and a little off beat...I mean I could not be more in love with this color. And its flattering on my pale coolish skin, which was my main concern as pastels are not easy for me to pull off. My second concern was formula....would this be thin and streaky and assy....after I fell in love with the color I decided I would just deal if the app sucked and I was so happy to find out this applies like a dream, its a 2 coater for me and not streaky at all. Awesome! Love this color and highly recommend this. Essie did a great job on this one. They should make more fun trendy colors and move on from their one (three?) trick pony of reds, pinks and sheers reputation...MCA proves Essie can be interesting. Oh yeah, get this one fast, I got the last one at my Ulta so yeah....its going to be super trendy this winter I think.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2009 2:24:00 AM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was sooo excited when I found out that Essie was doing a mint green and I had to have it!! Their formula wears great on me and this was no exception. Four days and no chips or tipwear. If you missed out on Mac's Peppermint Patti, get this for sure. It's not the same but I like it better! I will get backups of this shade for sure and it's that special. The application is a bit tricky but three coats made everything good. I also used Seche Vite just in case and perfection!!! I've included a pic of my new love! ;D
continued >>

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2009 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Dori319

Very pretty polish. This is a new top 10 favorite for me. This is the color of mint chocolate chip ice cream (but without the chips, of course). Perfect mint green cream that is opaque in 2 coats. No problems w/applications.. not too thick or too thin. Dried in a good amount of time w/SV quick dry top coat. I can see myself wearing this all winter long.. I think I need backups.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2009 2:42:00 PM More reviews by VVV

Mint Candy Apple is one of a trio of new LE shades from Essie's Holiday 2009 Collection. It is by far the most unique shade in the collection IMHO (the other 2 shades being Lollipop, a bright red w/ red-orange undertones and Rock Candy, a pale sheer pink).

COLOR/COMPARISONS: MCA is a cool toned mint green shade which has blue undertones to it. MCA is much cooler toned than the mint shades Essie has done in the past like Mint Chintz and St. Martin's Mint. MCA is also cooler toned than Illamasqua's Milf which looks like Clinique green packaging. MCA is closest to OPI's Hey! Get in Lime! but it's still different - MCA is a bit cooler toned and a touch lighter. I would not say that MCA reads blue at alll though - I have China Glaze's For Audrey and when placed side by side, MCA reads green while FA reads blue.

FINISH: MCA has a glossy cream finish.

COATS: I'm a 3 coat kind of girl but I actually stopped at 2 coats with MCA. It applied quite opaquely overall. I noticed a touch of stickiness on the 2nd coat so definitely allow dry time between coats (I waited 2-3 minutes, maybe wait a little longer). For reference I use: OPI Natural Nail bc & Seche Vite tc.

BOTTOM LINE: I love Mint Candy Apple! :) As a fan of both greens and mints this unique shade makes me happy. I'd LOVE to see Essie do more green shades (esp mediums & vampies) and would run right out and buy them just like I did MCA. Highly recommended!

♥ Hope this was helpful! PLEASE ROP FOR PHOTOS! ♥