October 23, 2014 | 1645 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Dark Angels

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2009 1:45:00 AM More reviews by Jenontheshore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

If I had reviewed Dark Angels after the very first time I tried it, I would probably have given it just 3 stars, or maybe even less. I think I was using too much of it and not mixing with enough water so it felt goopy and ineffective. Plus I really do not like the packaging--it's basically solid chunks of the product stored in a clear plastic container. I had no idea what to even do with it when my order first arrived! But having used it several more times over the last few weeks, I've grown to really like Dark Angels. I have a lot of blackheads that leave my skin bumpy and totally gross. And I wanted a really serious scrub that could finally banish them. Plus my skin is just overall dull and needs brightening. Dark Angels has really done a good job on both fronts and I will probably repurchase it. I see a noticeable difference in the overall texture and smoothness of my skin. I use a tiny dollop, like the size of pinky nail, that I mix with a few drops of water and apply to my dry face and scrub pretty vigorously (my skin is not sensitive) and then rinse off really well. And voila! Smooth skin. The reason I won't give the product 5 stars is that I don't see why it can't come already "mixed" with water, in a neat little pot so that I could just dip my finger inside and apply the product to my face, like every other scrub. It would be less cumbersome that way and I would probably use it more. So, while I will buy it again because it works so well, I will be on the lookout for a scrub that works just as well, but comes in better packaging.

Edit:
Having used this product for several more days, I am downgrading it to three lippies. I just don't think the results are worth the efforts and the mess. I just started using a scrub today by Philosophy that is so much easier to use and delivers better/equal results. So, I will finish my tub of Dark Angels but will not repurchase and do not recommend. There are too many better scrubs and cleansers.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2009 1:32:00 AM More reviews by PaigeTheDinosaur

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this product for about three weeks, and I love it. I was skeptical at first because I've never had much luck with cleansers, but ever since I've been using this my skin feels a lot softer and looks a lot more clear. I've been using it along with Aqua Marina/baby face and A Breath Of Fresh Air as a toner. Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2009 1:19:00 AM More reviews by sparkleyturtle

It is hard to not touch my face after using DA, as it makes my skin so soft and smooth. Once again, you only need a small amount when you are just using it as an exfoliator and cleanser (more if letting it dry as a mask, but less water). I love the darkness of it and the texture. I just rub it in (not too hard) and wash it off. I do need to use a toner afterwards to get the remaining off, but I just spray on the toner and wipe off. then I am set with my nice smooth skin.

Love this.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2009 3:06:00 AM More reviews by cortney2957

I wish I could I rate this a 12 for how much it has done for my skin! I have only been using it about 2 weeks, and my skin looks better than it has in probably 4 or 5 years (blackheads, large pores, hormonal and regular acne, extreme oil). I have tried every type of cleanser and nothing seemed to help, except DA. I use it at night after removing my makeup. As everyone has said, I take about the size of a pea in my hand and mix it with just 1-2 drops of water. To the people who have said that it all seems to just run down the drain and make a mess, I use WAY less water than I'll need--just enough to make it barely spreadable. Then I put a stripe on my cheeks, nose, chin, and forehead (kinda looks like warpaint :) ), and then I wet my fingers a few times and massage it over my face to spread it out. It never gets too wet or drips out of my hand. Every few days, I will let it dry on my face like a mask which helps a lot with extra-oily skin. It can be a little rough because it is so exfoliating, so I use the plain Dove beauty bar in the morning and also 2 nights a week for a little break. And I always(!) use a toner after because there are a few little specks that don't rinse off completely. (If your skin is sensitive, probably just use it less often and don't rub as hard.) Doing this, my blackheads are almost gone, and the ones that are there are at least half the size, and my skin looks smoother, brighter, and just healthier. It has also cut down the oil a lot. I would highly recommend this to anyone who has problems with acne, oily skin, blackheads, large pores, or uneven texture, especially since at most Lush stores you can get a sample that is large enough to use for at least a week. I have recommended it to all of my friends, and I will use this product forever :)

NOTE: I thought I should let you guys know that while DA has dramatically improved my skin, it has not completely gotten rid of breakouts caused by hormonal imbalance. DA has, however, made them a bit less swollen and inflamed and has cut the redness a ton. And sorry it's soo long, but I had to let everyone know just how wonderful this product is!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2009 9:57:00 AM More reviews by vickitoria

I started using this after I saw it advertised in a magazine. It said it was good for helping de-slick oily skin so I thought I'd give it a go! I bought it after I'd been on holiday and my skin was covered in huge pimples that were very painful.

I've been using it for about 2 weeks now and I am very impressed with it! I have been using it every other day and it hasn't aggrivated my skin even though its very exfoliating. My skin has cleared up a lot since I've been using it - infact the huge pimples have practically gone! Just a little red mark remains from one of them.

The smell.. isn't great. Neither is the mess it makes in the bathroom. But those are the only cons I can think of for it.

I'd definately buy this product again. I've even given some to my boyfriend to try and he seems to like it too!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2009 12:48:00 PM More reviews by fragilex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used to be a religious user of Herbalism, but I decided to give this a try. It doesn't smell as good, but it has other advantages! It is a super exfoliater, better than Herbalism, and leagues better than AOBS.
I won't even compare it to the various apricot scrubs out there. I find those way too irritating and harsh. This has finer particles that are gentler on your skin and leave it nice and soft. Without getting too gross here, I have some acne, and it helps to remove the dead layer of skin on top, making for a smoother application of concealer and less gross dry spots.
It's a bit messy, and I frequently find some black flecks along my hairline and sometimes other crevices likes ears or empty facial piercing holes after I get out of the shower. I attempted to use this in the sink once, but I just made a huge mess on myself, my bathroom, and my hair. I use a toner after I wash my face, and the cotton round is usually grey, but I think it's just small particles vs. staining.
Overall, this is the best Lush scrub I've used. A tub lasts me 3+ months, so it's not as expensive at it seems. I will be repurchasing this with enthusiasm.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2009 10:09:00 AM More reviews by emluken

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This one of my new favorite exfoliators. The product comes in a black LUSH tub (collect 5 an return them for a free fresh face mask). Dark Angel itself is black and has a dry, paste-like consistency. It only takes a very small amount to really exfoliate my whole face. I take a pea-sized amount and mix it in the palm of my hand with a little bit of water to help it spread better, then massage all over my face. It's slightly grainy, and the smell is kind of medicinal, but this really works! Then rinse with warm water and pat dry.

I have combination skin that's usually pretty clear except for hormonal break-outs a few days a month. Using this just as I start to feel some pimples coming on clears things up right away and leaves my skin glowing and smooth. As I only use a tiny bit, this pot will last a long time, but I'll definitely repurchase as soon as I run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2009 7:22:00 PM More reviews by vintagequeengf1

I absolutely adore this face wash. I am not crazy about the packaging (my came in one of the clear square plastic tubs - I ordered online) - I wish it were a little harder so it could come in a paper wrapper like Fresh Farmacy (less waste). Other than that, it is near perfect. A little pricey, but totally worth it, and it lasts forever. I take a pinch, put it in my palm, and add a drop or two of water to make a paste. I gently rub on my face and rinse. This method isn't too messy, and I haven't had a problem with the black staining my white sink or my skin. In fact, I'm rather fond of the color : ) I also love the scrubbiness; just the right amount of exfoliation to use every couple of days. Not only has this cleared up my troubled combination skin, but it also helped my acne scars fade...I guess because the exfoliation promotes skin regeneration. The smell isn't great, but I could care less - I use it because it works!! This stuff is absolutely wonderful, and I will continue to repurchase.

EDIT: Can I give this 10 stars? I totally would if I could. I've been using it for 3 (4?) months and I am still head-over-heels in love. I know you aren't supposed to exfoliate with this everyday, but I can't help it - it's saved my skin. I now use it every night in combination with Fresh Farmacy in the morning. My skin is clear, blemish-free, and glowing. Love you LUSH! Never discontinue this!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2009 2:34:00 AM More reviews by ksdjfklsdjf

Great product! I wouldnt have even known about this product if it wasn't for makeupalley because I never heard of it until I saw it on one of the featured reviews a while back. Anyway I love this product to death. It makes my skin smooth, detoxified and a lot less oily. I don't like that it is messy but the results are too fantastic to let that bother me. I use either once a day or every other day. Some people say they only use it once or twice a week... I guess it just depends on your skin as to how much you will use it. I would recommend this to oily skinned people in a heartbeat .. people with sensitive and dry skin be careful though I'm not sure how your skin would react to this. Thanks to this cleanser my foundation goes on so much smoother and stay on all day. This cost me about $13 for about the amount of the size of my fist which will last me a longgg time because i only use a small amount. They charge you by the weight of the product. I love this. It can be used as both a cleanser or a mask. Make sure to use a toner after using this because sometimes little black specks can get stuck in your pores if you don't.

UPDATE: This cleanser made me break out .. and i mean bad!! Probably the worst I ever have and on places on my face that I never have before. I rarely break out from products so this really was a concern to me. I have to deduct lippie's because I don't care how well this helps with oil control if it is breaking out my skin out while doing so then i wont use it! I'm giving this a 3 because it still has it's positives and it may not react to everyones skin the way it did to mine. I started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid pills which does WONDERS for skin to clear up my horrible acne that I believe was caused from this cleanser. I finally thought I found my HG cleanser ...guess ill have to keep searching. =/

Another update 3/31/10: So I decided to try this again because I missed how much this helped my oily skin. However, it broke me out again. So now I know for a fact that the breakouts from before were due to this product. So sad because this helps my oily skin so much that I was praying that is wasnt this that was breaking me out but oh well I'm done using it for good now. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2009 4:26:00 PM More reviews by yeju

I use this cleanser once a day, when I'm taking a shower in the morning. 100g of DA came in a deep plastic container so I took out a quarter and stored it in a smaller, flatter container (which originally contained a sample mask from LUSH) so that it was more convenient and easier to use.
To wash my face, I take a pinkie nail sized piece and rub it with small amount of water to make into a paste and gently massage my face with it. You have to go gentle because of the harsh granules. There are some oils in DA which seem to soothe and moisturize my skin. Afterward I swipe my face with a toner-soaked cotton pad and I can see a little bit of black charcoal residue coming off.
It is a wonderful cleanser. I believe it contributed to my skin looking glowy and softer, working together with other skin care regimen. I'm not sure if it's helping with my acne at all but it doesn't aggrevate the condition either. But my skin still gets oily as day wears on; it is summer and I expected as much, it is only natural. I wonder what it would be like using DA during winter.