Chanel Mascara Exceptionnel

3.6

Water, paraffin, styrene/acrylates/ammonium methacrylate copolymer, stearic acid, palmitic acid, beeswax, acacia senegal gum extract, carnauba wax, triethanolamine, vp/hexadecene copolymer, ethylene/va copolymer, hydroxyethylcellulose, cellulose, aminomethyl propanediol, phenoxyethanol, silica, butylene glycol, methylparaben, propylparaben, polyquaternium-10, microcrystalline wax, sodium laureth-12 sulfate, synthetic wax, potassium sorbate, edta, dimethicone. May contain: carmine, ultramarines, bismuth oxychloride, chromium cyanide, manganese violet, titanium dioxide, mica.

on 9/11/2008 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This mascara is AMAZING! BRILLIANT! WOW WOW WOW.
I'm a HUGE makeup junkie and there's nothing more perfect than having something that works. I've gone through them all - believe me. From low-low end to high-high end and this hands down - besides YSL - I'll write a review on that later :P - wins it for me. I look like I'm wearing false eyelashes.

The thing with this mascara is when you apply it on the "mascara" brush side it goes on quite thick and it scared me but then i rotated the brush and wow - transformed my lashes.

I was told by the MA that this mascara was LE - Is this true? I certainly hope not because I dont think I can go on living without this mascara.

I have it in Smoky Noir - #10.

on 9/8/2008 5:18:00 PM

I got this as a sample in 10 Smoky Noir and as soon as I opened it and looked at the brush I thought I was for sure going to hate it, BUT wow, I have never been so happy to be wrong in my life!!!

The brush combines alternating rows of a typical mascara "brush" and a mascara comb. This combo is what initially turned me off but once I tried it I realized that it is actually easier to use in many ways. Starting at the root and twisting/rotating the brush as you move up the lash gives me a good base coat and the formula goes on like a dream! It glides on the lashes like a gel (not too thin that it doesn't adhere to the lash and not too thick that you have major clumping issues) and any lashes that need separating (which I can assure is far less than most mascaras) can be easily fixed with the comb portion of the brush and because there is mascara on the comb you don't have to worry about the formula drying and/or flaking while separating and you don't get the trantula lashes effect that most mascaras give you when you go back after using your comb or putting on another coat.

The formula itself is amazing! Aside from the fact that it definitely goes on easier than any mascara I have ever tried, it actually curls and holds the curl of your lashes by itself. This is really nighttime mascara for me since it does give a more dramatic effect and I rarely use mascara during the day, but even for nighttime use I find that 2 coats is sufficient to give me long, full, curled OMG lashes. The other night I fell asleep without taking my mascara off and when I woke up I was amazed to find that my lashes still looked fabulous and the most amazing part is that my lashes were still curled after sleeping on them for 8hrs!

The only mascara that I have found that comes close to this is DiorShow and with the DiorShow I have to use Lancome Cils Booster to get a similar effect, which still isn't as awesome as this Chanel mascara. I also don't find that DiorShow has the same curling power, and it's (IMO) very drying (both on the lash and in the tube) and gives me smudging issues.

Yes, at $28 I guess it is a bit expensive but since I don't have to use my Cils Booster with this it ends up being cheaper. I will definitely repurchase this and have already recommended it to numerous friends.

on 9/7/2008 2:52:00 PM

I tried this mascara on a whim at Neiman's. It was amazing! It made my lashes full and thick. It's as if I am wearing fake lashes. I don't think I could ever use another mascara again. It is definitely my HG mascara. It is $28, but I think it is worth it for the superior quality of the product. Everyone's eyelashes are different so I don't believe that this will work on anyone. However, it is definitely one that I would suggest that you try at a department store.

on 8/30/2008 9:28:00 AM

I'm loving this mascara! You use the short bristles of the brush to apply the product and the long bristles to separate and the trick is also to rotate under and not up. The results I got were thick and and curled lashes....I love it!

on 8/30/2008 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I received a sample of this in a swap and I am glad I didn't pay $28 @ Nordstrom for it. I have Smokey Noir (black). This mascara gives me a LOT of volume and some curves, however, when it comes to separation, it lacks. Yes, the innovative six-sided brush gives dramatic results, but it also gives me that whole spider legs look, which I hate. You can't get any more unnatural than that! It does make my lashes super dark and rich and I can even say shiny. However, I will stick to my FAVE Dior Show for now, which I LOVE.

on 8/29/2008 4:49:00 PM

I was at the Chanel counter and picked this up for $28 @ Nordstrom. It comes in 4 colors (smokey tones of black, brown, navy, and plum). I picked Smokey Noir (black).

It promises:

Captivating volume and voluptuous curves give lashes the fullest advantage - with clump-free, smudge-proof separation. Innovative six-sided brush ensures dramatic results.
What I got:

Lots of volume! The brush takes a little getting used to, but it works for me. I forgot to curl my lashes today, but it was ok. I'm not sure if it's the brush or the formula. but my lashes look somewhat curled. It was not as straight as usual. The color is very nice and bold. I did not get any smudging nor flaking. YAY! I do wish for a waterproof formula though... I would most likely repurchase this, however if it came in waterproof, I would definately purchase! I just love Chanel!

on 8/29/2008 1:36:00 PM

It weighed down my lashes. :( I miss Drama lash in waterproof. For now I will stick to Hypnose WP and Inimitable Wp.

I am a fan of the Inimitable, so I had to try the newest Chanel mascara! The brush is very odd--rows of combs and brushes, however, the brush iteself is not as wide as Dior or Benefit Bad Gal. I applied it first by running it horizontally through my lashes then going back and rolling the brush through the top lashes. My lashes were very long, very thick, and very black. I don't have to curl my lashes, so I cannot say if it holds curl or not. I find my lashes are much thicker than with the Inimitable and also more black. I think I will also pick this up in the purple color--definately a winner for me!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm normally a huge fan of Chanel mascaras so I was excited to be testing this product for a magazine. The brush was a little difficult for me to maneuver at first. It took me a while to get used to having to twirl the mascara wand even though that's how I normally apply mascara. I think it was just difficult because of the shape of the brush. After getting used to applying this after a few days, it became easier. Unfortunately I was not blown away by this mascara. My lashes are naturally very long but they're very fine, stick straight and fair. This mascara did give me more length but it clumped terrible. I didn't notice any curl or volume. I gave this a try using my Tarte e/l curler and as soon as I put the mascara on, my curl drooped. I really hated my eyelashes clumping together so much. I felt like I was constantly picking at my lashes to unseperate them. I just wanted to wash my face-too bad I was at work. My two weeks are up on testing this product and I must say I'm very relieved. I will not purchase this mascara if given the chance. I did however give it 2 lippies because of the exceptional length I got from this mascara. Enough that I had compliments but it did not hold up to the promise of volume and curl.

on 8/28/2008 1:02:00 PM

I got a free sample of this mascara and I have to say that I am really not impressed. It neither thickened, lengthened, nor curled my eyelashes. Actually, it made my eyelashes look straighter that normal. It kind of gave my eyelashes a spiderleggy sort of look. not nearly as cute as usual. There are much better mascaras out there and most are a lot cheaper than Chanel.

Popular Mascaras