October 24, 2014 | 1641 users online

Powder - MAC - Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2008 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Pamela76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really love this product. I do not use it as a foundation - I use Bare Minerals. I use Studio Fix for touchups throughout the day. Since it is very heavy and meant as a foundation rather than pressed powder, I use a light dusting with a brush to touch up during the day. I don't even use the pad that comes with it. N3 and N4 are perfect shades for fair, pink/cool-toned skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2008 9:52:00 AM More reviews by mdlvsmakeup

I first purchased this 3 months ago and tried alone it was awfull with my dry winter skin it made my skin feel dry and tight so I tried with moisturizer and a lightweight foundation and I love the look, I now repurchased a shade lighter for my lighter winter skin and I simply love it. It works well with the mac buffer blush.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2008 2:16:00 AM More reviews by SayoonaraSadness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used Studio Fix awhile back, it had great coverage but I realized that it was a bit heavy. I broke out after using this and I barely break out from using any facial products. It seemed a little too cakey as well, resulting in an overly done face. I can see how this foundation would work good under cameras like photoshoots but not for everyday use. Overall this was too much for me, I'm not sure if I just didn't know how to apply it but I don't really bother to try it out again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2008 5:24:00 PM More reviews by tshinn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used MAC's Studio Fix back in '99 when I was in college. I like it at first, but then realized it was not for me. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to give this product another go. I had forgotten why I didn't really like it and this week, I was reminded. This product goes on well and covers my acne prone skin well but after an hour or so, my skin looks streaky and the makeup looks clumpy on my nose and chin. Also, if I have any dry patches, i.e. my forehead, the powder settles and looks bad. Basically, when I initially apply it and for an hour afterwards, my face looks flawless. But as soon as my oil "bubbles up to the surface"again in hour two, my face is a big mess. I think this foundation is great for ladies with normal skin. I think oily skinned and dry skinned girls need to use something else. The packaging is wonderful and the color selection is fantastic though. I am sad this did not work for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2008 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Utepchick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for about a year and it does an excellent job in controlling the oily areas of my skin. The only problem is that I have to apply a mosturizer right before i use it since it tends to make the dry parts of my face a little flaky. Overall I think it provides just enough coverage. I found that it is best when applied with the 190 MAC brush. I think I will try the liquid next to compare them.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2008 10:55:00 PM More reviews by ynnej

I used to use this stuff religiously - in fact, at age 16 this was the first foundation I ever touched. I'm not a huge fan of this stuff anymore for several reasons, and most notably that it looks unnatural on your skin. For daily wear I prefer foundations that will blend right in with your skin to make your skin look naturally flawless. You will NOT get this effect from StudioFix compact foundation. This stuff is rather dry, and probably bad news for anyone who is prone to dry/combination skin. It doesn't last all that long either - and I would find myself constantly having to retouch throughout the day.
Years later I ventured to try the StudioFix LIQUID foundation, and I must say, that stuff is one of the best foundations I've ever used. It will give you the matte finish (but not as fake as the one you will get from the powder), last a great deal longer, and make your skin look perfect in photos.

But as for StudioFix powder, I will not be touching that stuff again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2008 2:50:00 AM More reviews by sami513

i have been using the product for about a week now, and so far i really like it. i have really bad acne pron skin (just like my mom did as a teen)
and i had been using Cover girl whipped foundation and found it felt like i was painting my face...so i had decided to give MAC a go
and i was a little worried about getting it at first because a lot of people had said it made them break out like crazy but i told myself you know what my skin sucks anyway why not give it a go so i went to my MAC counter and the MA helped me find the perfect color for me I'm N5 and it is the perfect match but i found that i love this product it gives great coverage and makes my acne look a lot less noticeable i use it on top of studio finish concealer and it looks great and since using it i haven't broken out so yay:)lol but anyways there is one thing i kinda don't like about it...it can look a little on the cakey side if your skin is dry in ares but it's ok because if you use a good moisturize before it looks just fine but i think if you want to try it you really should and not worry about what it did to other people because you skin is totally different then someone else's so give it a go and if you don't like it you can always take it back so that's a BIG plus:D

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2008 11:27:00 AM More reviews by nicurly

I have been using this product since I was 18 (now 36) and it has served its purpose. Since joining this board I realized that this product has the rep. of oxidizing horribly. By the end of the day I would look like a orange, greasy mess. I was wearing C8 and tried C7 recently to see if that would make a difference, but it was too ashy. Overall, I love this powder and if I had the time to constantly blot my face throughout the day it would work, but I don't have the time and have since discovered that they make other powder/foundations for women of colour and are available for me in Canada!!!s
Update 09/08: I began using MUFE Duo mate in 214 with MUCH better results, although I am curious about trying studiofix in nc50.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2008 9:16:00 PM More reviews by dtn06

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just bought Studio Fix a week ago. I was using Prescriptives Powder foundation and Studio Tech prior to that. I like the powders better than the creams because they are lighter. I notice a definite difference between the Studio Fix and the Px powder. Studio Fix has a more creamy feel than Px. I have normal skin and so far I have no complaints. I've tried mineral foundations but have yet to find the right shade. I am a NW43 in Studio Tech and chose the same shade in the Fix and it's a match. I apply it with the duo fibre brush for a nice even finish over the select cover-up concealer.

*** UPDATE ***
I've noticed that this foundation gets darker as the day goes on. It also started causing break outs. It's a shame though because I really loved the way that it looked on my skin when first applied. I've since found a mineral foundation that is a very close match that has not had the color changing effect so far (crossing fingers :). I still recommend this product to others. It just didn't work out as well as I would have liked.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2008 1:03:00 AM More reviews by XP0S3D

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this nifty little foundation for a few years. There's a wide array of shades available for every skin tone which makes it popular. The price isn't bad for $25. It's easy to apply (it comes with a disc sponge at the bottom compartment), but I prefer to use a face brush to control the coverage I want. It covers pretty well and I matched this with MAC's Studio Finish concealer underneath.

However, it did have it's cons as well. I have combination/oily skin and this kept my face matte and a little too powdery for a few hours, but after that I would have to blot (I kept the powdery look toned down with MAC's Fix+). I did notice that this product DOES oxidize. I don't know if it's just for oily skinned people due to the oils on their face, but it did change colors over time. I recommend that you do not use Studio Fix as a touch up powder. While it is still powder (which I understand), it is STILL foundation. It provides more coverage than your normal pressed powder. When used as a touch up powder, it can look cakey, drying and not too appealing. Piling it on doesn't look good in my opinion. Invest on blotting sheets/papers, blot powder and/or pressed powders for touch ups.

While I have a love/hate relationship (well more love), I've jumpshipped to mineral foundation. I'll still use Studio Fix occasionally, but Everyday Minerals has been doing the job for me! Try out Studio Fix and see if it fits for you. It's a hit or miss product, so you wouldn't know what it's like until you give it a test run!

For reference, I'm C35 and C40 (during summer). The C shades have more yellow in them as opposed to the NC shades with more golden in them.