July 25, 2014 | 940 users online

Powder - MAC - Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 12/23/2007 9:54:00 PM More reviews by expira

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

For some reason, completely not a fan of this powder. It make me break out in the worst way and I found the coverage uneven. It prevented shine for a while but afterwards, shine away I did. Not recommended for people with sensitive skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2007 3:47:00 PM More reviews by VintagePinup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This used to be my favourite powder foundation. It was quick and easy to apply and I had quite a decent amount of coverage from this.
The colour range is amazing, but hey unfortunately didnt have a pale enough shade for my golden toned skin. And its colour and corresponding number isn't the same as in, say, Studio Fix Fluid.
However, it tended to look unnatural if overapplied and it would emphasize my dry patches. Oh, and it broke me out like nothing else! This stuff is very comodogenic! I will definitely not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2007 6:12:00 PM More reviews by elouised

I've been using Studio Fix powder for maybe a year now. I think I am just a powder person versus a cream or a liquid and that's why I love this product.

I'm NC35 in the winter and I apply it with the 181 small buffer brush. I love the velvety look this powder gives, It also has great coverage for a powder, though sometimes I still use a concealer. I know this powder does break some people out, but not everyone. I've hit pan on this compact for the 4th time now. I may try Shiseido for a slightly better skintone match though.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2007 8:14:00 AM More reviews by lemfloyd

I really like this foundation as it's very quick and easy to use. I use this during the day, before work because it's easy to use very early in the morning. I have combination skin so gives the right consistency to keep the shine at bay! I have seen a lot of reviews that state the sponge is not good as an applicator but I actually like the application I get from the sponge as long as I keep it clean and swap it regularly.
One of my favourite products!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/19/2007 4:32:00 PM More reviews by bauer32301

This review is for Studio Fix Powder Foundation. It looked good for 1 hour on me, but failed to control any oil. After many blottings later, it looked cakey and dry. I went from too greasy to really dry looking. It also makes my face feel drier. I've used a few types of powder foundation and have never felt that before. This would be good for a photo shoot, but not all day wear, unless you have normal skin (not dry or oily). I am returning this to MAC.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2007 More reviews by MakeupManifesto

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love love love my studiofix. I have been using this product for over 10 years! I love the great coverage (really hides my rosacea redness that I am always embarrassed about). I wear a C3 and this is great for touch-ups or whenever I am in a hurry (love powder foundation for this reason). When I have the extra time in the morning I do not wear this, I wear my regular liquid foundation + loose powder. I like C3 for the yellowness, it reminds me of T. LeClerc Banane. It makes my skin glow and my green eyes pop. It also looks great in photos. I have never had breakout problems because I never wear this more than 3x a week, in order to allow my skin to breathe. Enjoy :o)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2007 3:25:00 AM More reviews by laurenmt

I hate this powder...I feel like I'm suffocating in this...great coverage though!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2007 4:29:00 AM More reviews by najia01

i've used this product 5 years ago and i didn't fancy it. i heard that they've improved the formula so i went and bought one. i like this one better--the powder is finer and the shade matched exactly. the price is reasonable as well. i apply it with a brush. i find that if i apply with the sponge, it will look cakey.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2007 12:54:00 PM More reviews by rogernewman

I like this powder. The color is a perfect match. It goes on a little light when I first apply, but looks perfect in 30-60 minutes. Because the color matches so perfectly, it doesn't make me look like I have on makeup at all. My skin is just even.

This will not last all day, so I use pressed powder (Iman-Clay Medium) for touch-ups. But, I didn't expect that from a powder. I took one lippie off because despite MAC's claims, this will not give you full coverage. My acne blemishes are not covered in any way with this product. I also can't spot concealer over my blemishes because you can see the spots through the powder.

I am using this in C7. (NC45 made me look too yellow.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2007 8:45:00 AM More reviews by jhadiq

OK, after using this product for several more weeks, I have completely re-written my review of it. I am currently a devotee of EL DoubleWear for it's staying power and "nautral" looking coverage. However, I purchased Studio Fix because I wanted a powder foundation to deal with the current restrictions on liquids in carry-ons for air travel. As a final test, and because I am a freak this way, I recently applied SF on one half of my face and EL Doublewear on the other (moisturizer and MAC Prep & Prime SPF 50 underneath) Here are some of my conclusions:

1) I have oily skin, and MAC SF does seem to control my oilies better, other things being equal. This is a matte finish, and matte truly does mean matte. I could see that someone with less oily skin than me might not appreciate this quality, since it could make your skin look "flat".

2) Coverage and appearance are about the same - both give about the same level of coverage and look about the same in terms of "natural"-ness

3) EL DW seems to be a better match for my skin, but I don't fault the foundation - I am sure if I returned to the MAC counter, the MA could give me a better match.

4) Even though I have oily skin, there definitely is something drying and tight-feeling about the powder. I would NOT recommend this foundation for someone with dry skin, and I would not use this myself without a good moisturizer and primer underneath.

5) Although the initial application of SF is very obviously powdery, it does seem to eventually melt into my skin and become more natural and less matte-looking.

6) Best way for me to apply this is with the MAC 190 foundation brush to airbrush out my huge pores with little paint-strokes. I've used my Chanel, Sephora, and Paula Dorf foundation brushes, but the MAC 190 is superior (I think it is the taper and softness of the bristles that make the difference) I've also tried my MAC 187, but it isn't as good to buff the product in.

7) It does seem to oxidize a little, but not more than any other decent foundation or powder I've used. I'd say that's not a problem for this product.

8) It *is* a good foundation, but I still do prefer fluids. I may try the SF fluid next to see if it can replace my more expensive DW at some point.

9) Transfer-resistant this product is NOT! It comes off pretty easily, which can be annoying.

All-in-all, I am pleased with this foundation for travel. For home, though, I am sticking to DW for now. However, this is certainly a worthy substitute. I would also note that I have not broken out at all from this product, after having used it more-or-less every day (some days I skip foundation) since I first bought it.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No