September 2, 2014 | 948 users online

Powder - MAC - Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2008 6:04:00 PM More reviews by DarkAnjel

I finally found a powder that doesn't make me shiny 5 minutes after I put it on. I have combo/skin. It makes me matte without much effort. I'm not one to wear makeup often or heavily. I luv that the powder puff has its own compartment in the case. I had to get some for mom after her many compliments. They have a very nice color line for those with darker skin tones.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2008 9:16:00 AM More reviews by jmp24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Twice now I have given this powder a chance, and frankly, I do not get all the hoopla over MAC. This powder was just ok, it did the job, but there was nothing about it, or any other MAC items I have tried, to make me look further at the line. The only thing I would try, if I didn't already have too many of from other brands, would be the eyeshadows.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2008 2:56:00 AM More reviews by roma18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

it was great for covering up acne marks, or any other imperfections in my face! but it did make me breakout once i started using it, so eventualy i had to use it more often to cover all the acne , and that caused even more acne, you get the idea!!! i stopped using this and switched to mineral makeup! I still have it, and only used it for special occasions ...i wont purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2007 11:55:00 PM More reviews by asaphia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've just finished my second Studio Fix compact, and both times I've been nothing but satisfied. In fact, I would have kept using it over the years had I not been curious to see if there are better ones on the market. So far, not many have come close for me.

Having an extremely oily t-zone, I NEED powder on a daily basis. I need one that doesn't clog my pores, doesn't fail at mattifying, and most of all, one that doesn't separate when my shininess surfaces on the t-zone. Studio Fix has come through on all of that for me.

I might list some of the pros that I've found so it's a bit easier to follow:

Coverage: Perfect. It just evens out my skin without any caking, like I've got layers of makeup on. And it's the same story when worn alone or on top of foundation. If I'm feeling casual, I'll just wear it on its own and achieve a smooth, even and most importantly, natural tone. If I need my makeup to be more full, I wear it over liquid foundation to set and mattify, and it helps to hide my enlarged pores, too. With my trusty stippling brush I get a light smoothness, and with the sponge I get a flawless full cover without the heaviness.

Finish: Once again, just smooth and even. I personally don't find it drying, although I can imagine that someone with very dry skin would, so keep that in mind. Like I mentioned, it doesn't make me look like my makeup is caked on, even when applied with a sponge over liquid foundation. Even a full-coverage foundation like EL's Doublewear. Although perhaps that's due to my surface oil... hence the warning to the dry skinned. Oh, and it doesn't go orange. BIG plus. I've just finished NC25, and the first was NC30.

Durability: This is such an important factor for me, because I've had some bad experiences in the past. To mark a comparison, Clinique's Stay-Matte & Superpowder have both done this thing where half way through the day when my shininess surfaces, the powder kind of blends and... separates? Clumps? Either way, it's not pretty. Maybelline's Shine-Free ones used to do that to me too. But Studio Fix just stays even. If surface oil comes up, it rises on top of the powder, which makes it easy to blot away. Not that I need much of a touch-up anyway.

I really think that unless something better comes up, Studio Fix will stay my HG for a long time. The only con would be that the case feels a bit flimsy sometimes, and if you drop it, there's a good chance of not only the powder but the case itself breaking (the little catch that holds it closed broke for me the first round...)

Just a note in case you're in dilemma over these two: Unlike the two mentioned above, Clinique's Perfectly Real compact powder is something I do like, because it doesn't do the separation trick on me, and in fact is a close contender for Studio Fix. But both being the same price, I would choose Studio Fix over it any day, because there's just something about the texture and finish, and I think it just lasts longer as well. I haven't checked, but I imagine they are the same size. But because Studio Fix just doesn't need constant touching up, I think it tends to last longer on the whole.

If your skin falls anywhere from dry-combination to oily, I definitely recommend this compact. It gives you lightweight texture, smooth, even coverage, lasting power, and I'm sure everyone will appreciate the range of shades that MAC has to offer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2007 11:34:00 PM More reviews by tnlfraz0820

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am on my 2nd compact of studio fix, and although I can't say that I am completely in love with it, I do like it quite a bit. I first started using studio fix last summer, and was determined by the SA to be between N4 and N5. I ended up going with N4 since I stay out of the sun at all costs, but during the summer months, it did end up being just a bit light on me. However, now in winter, N4 is a perfect match for me. I have normal/combo skin that is sensitive to the elements, and although every other product I have been using on my face has been irritating my skin, this has not. This is an amazingly creamy powder that applies smoothly, and although looks somewhat "heavy" at first, settles quickly into my skin and looks more natural, while evening out my skin and concealing any blemishes I may have. As far as wearability goes, by the end of my long day at school, it has pretty much worn off of my tzone and forehead, but quite frankly, I don't think there are many powders out there that would make it through 11-hour days! Overall, although this product is a little expensive, my first compact lasted about 6 months of daily use, so it's worth the money in the long run. Will continue to repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2007 8:21:00 PM More reviews by kims3142

I love MAC's color range and have some favorites from their line-their blush is a great value, one will last for years!!! I have "accidentally" dropped them to break so that I wouldn't feel bad about buying a new one in a even more fab color! But this, although it has a great following is not great at all. A friend who was the former head trainer for MAC in Manhattan told me about their reformulations of Studiofix a while back, but before I first tried it in 1997. I was C3, remember the original Cs? The color was great, but very heavy and chalky after one hour, made me very oily and lasts maybe two hours. So after he told me about MAC redoing Studiofix, I decided to try it again, but it was the same, and the new C3 is not the old C3.

I think it's popular because of the price, prestige of MAC products-as in hip and trendy-and it is easy to use, but I have enver seen anyone who wears Studiofix, who looked natural and good. Maybe in dim candlelight, but they look very very pasty and you can see the texture in all other lighting. Also for me, sponge or brush or puff application didn't make any difference.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2007 2:42:00 PM More reviews by avym

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Had the worst out break from using Studio Fix fluid & Powder
together. I cried when I looked in the mirror today - have not had
a break out like this since my teenage years.!!! From reading other reviews it would appear that this product breaks out a lot of people. Do not use if you have sensitive or acne prone skin!!!. The general consensus in on MAC is that their foundations are awful. Good for eye make-up and have great lip gloss. Unrivaled in terms of colour selection.
Also, I know a few people who use this and while the coverages is
good - it looks very yellow and unnatural. Avoid unless you skin never breaks out

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 11:43:00 PM More reviews by bjerome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love love love love love this product. Can't stree it enough. I am of African descent so I never even f'ed with any concealor or powder. Just because in the past, everything I have tried has left me looking like I was back in the 80's. You know the chalk face. So I gave up. I have a very golden deep brown skin color so , when I went to Mac counter and asked for something to give me an even skin tone, they had the perfect one. And since then i have never tried anything else. I mean I look natural, my skin looks flawless. I dnt break out. When I take pictures it looks like I have been airbrushed a bit. Its really lovely. Mac is great, can be a bit expensive at times but you know you pay for what you get.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2007 1:36:00 PM More reviews by c1wall

MAC has the most amazing colors. They are trendy and fun to play with but unfortunately every single foundation I have tried from them has left me broken out and wishing that there was something better. Ive tried a number of them also... including the new mineral wear (someone please tell me why they made an oil mineral wear?!?!?!) I have a number of friends who all wear MAC also... unless you have skin that rarely breaks out the concensus is that MAC is not the best choice for acne prone skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2007 11:00:00 PM More reviews by soniawonia

Hmmm. This powder has good coverage, yes, however, when I go to touch up during the day with my powder brush, the oily areas streak since the powder is so fine. It makes me look like I have stretch marks on my face. Not very pretty.