MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 3/14/2008 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. It's got so many positive things going for itself but then there are a few drawbacks for someone with my skintone.
I'm an NC45 and this shade, like many other reviewers with the same skintone mentioned, is way too yellow. I makes you look super golden! If you go one shade up, it's too dark, one shade down too light/pinkish, and the NWs just dont work on my NC45 skintone since they turn out too peachy. The other drawback is that it's very very drying so if your skin is flaky, it'll accentuate that a lot.
If you find a suitable shade, then you are lucky because you will find that this foundation is great! It wears like iron - it's long lasting and gives a flawless finish. You only need the tiniest amount to cover because this foundation is very pigmented and thick. I've tried sheering it out with moisturizer and still had trouble doing that!
I keep this foundation around and use it from time to time. My go-to foundation is usually the select spf or studio fix, both of which provide coverage that's more on the sheer/med. side.
Will not repurchase since I'm still on the fence about this one.

on 3/14/2008 3:11:00 PM

I wish there was a "maybe" option for repurchase! It seems unfair to say no, but I would not say yes either at this point. The truth is I just don't know. Part of my problem with this foundation is that the MAC SA sold me a shade too light. Aren't they supposed to be good at matching people? Not where I live anyway! I didn't even know they were supposed to give out samples until after I had bought this. The silly cow matched me as NC20, which is okay for my face but because my neck (and from there on down) is noticeably darker, I need a darker shade. I told her that, and she still managed to convince me the NC20 was correct. Anyway. The finish of this product is a bit more "make-up"-like than what I'm used to. It's not a match for my GA LSF in terms of natural finish. However, mixing with a small amount of moisturiser or (in my case) tinted moisturiser, the finish is much improved. I can blend this with my Paula's Choice TM in a slightly darker shade and get a good match. When thinned out, blending with fingers is easy enough. Otherwise I'd probably use a brush. PROs: decent coverage, lasts very well (I wear this when I need my makeup to last throughout the day. I brush some Clarins compact foundation on top and, during the day, blot with a little loose powder from a mini jar. The finish stays nice with no caking.) CONs: I don't know... a bit thick perhaps, but then I'm used to using just TM most days. Honestly, it's a good product but I guess I'm just pissed off at the SA who sold me the wrong shade. *** UPDATE *** Through the winter I became paler, and realised that the shades in this foundation are just too peachy for me. I need something more yellow/neutral. Not sure if it's just the SFF or other MAC foundations as well. Anyway, I've since moved on to Lancome.

on 3/14/2008 3:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

After working for the company for a few years, along with several others....and in the industry, and reading some reviews thought that I would leave a few general comments that will help aide some of the feedback. In no way shape or form am I spokesperson for any of the companies products that I review....

Looks great on flawless to moderate skins. Does help control oilyness. Nice for those who like a very matte coverage. If you can find a color match great. But I am sure there are a few of you who cant!! I am a make up artist and worked for them forever and I know I cant. I have tried everything....mixed and match several shades and nothing has worked... I think that the shading is off with this line of foundations. I am generally a NC 45 in mac foundations really a 44 but I like a nice tanned look. Anywho, nc 45 in this foundation is too yellow and looks like I have a mask on....NC50 is too dark and makes me look extra chocolate like...lol...and after it dried down it also made me look gray...I have even tried an NW which was too red for my skintone. Because I do have access to the product in mutiple shades I did play around and mixed a few together and came up with a nice shade but who wants to do that all day...not me...lol
final verdict, nice on those who can find their shade

on 3/13/2008 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

my favorite foundation up to now but it has been caking up on me since winter started. it does cover really well (i have acne scarring on my cheeks), and i even use this under my eyes when i'm out of concealer. i just pat it on with my finger and build it up. might switch back to clinique or try mineralize satinfinish since this has not been working too well for me lately, but i think it will work great again in summer (which was when i purchased it last year).

on 3/13/2008 8:26:00 AM

Ok, heres the thing.....I am a complete makeup junkie, I have tried everything out there, and foundation and lipgloss are my downfall. 30odd glosses last count and a dozen or so foundations with lots of pots of samples. .. However, I really love this foundation. My skin is slightly on the dry side, especially in winter. I think the trick with Studio Fix is you need to apply it with a foundation brush, I use Mac stippling brush, then really spend time buffing it in for a flawless look. I then apply Mac Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium to set and then spritz with Mac Charged Water Skin Hydrating Mist. It will last forever.
The only very slight downside, for me anyway, is that I need a slightly lighter colour that my match NC30. I am going out today for a sample of maybe NC20 or 25 and see if I can mix for a perfect colour.
If you want a light almost transparent foundation, this is not for you. But I love it!

on 3/12/2008 7:53:00 PM

So far the best I've used. Better than Christian Dior which I thought was pretty good also. Great coverage without making you look fake. I'll keep looking for even better ones... if they're out there.

on 3/12/2008 10:39:00 AM

I've been using this for a week and a half so far, and every day I've put it on I've absolutely loved it. My only complaint (and the reason for taking off one lippie) is for the lack of a color match for my skintone - I have a pale neutral/cool complexion and NW15 is a tad too dark for me, but is overall the best match. Despite it being too dark, as long as I don't apply it heavily it matches my skin perfectly - thankfully, the most I need is a medium coverage foundation so this is absolutely perfect! It makes my skin look so smooth, even and flawless - something that mineral makeup could never do. My skin has actually been clearly since I've started using this product (but I doubt it's thanks to this product, more likely other new products I've been using like toner), the only breakout I've had since is my one hormonal cyst I get a month on my chin - I have been irritated by a foundation in the past - so my point is, just because one foundation made you break out doesn't mean they all will! It's definitely worth a try, you use so little product that this foundation will last you a good while.

on 3/10/2008 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After going through much powder foundations in the past year, I have come to the conclusion that it really is more economical to try a liquid. Since my old fall-back is Studio Fix (powder), I sauntered to MAC to ask for a liquid version. It goes on smooth for something with such great coverage, so blending is easy. Though it covers blemishes well, I won't say it is too heavy for the rest of the face. And though it has a matte finish, it still allows some healthy glow to show through. Get this if you want an affordable everyday foundation that looks professional and easy to use. Watch the shades though- if you are used to sheer foundations, you will find that with a foundation like this that offers medium to full coverage, you need to get as close a match as possible. The NWs are, IMHO, too orange-y. I usually use NC25 SF (powder) and NC20 in pressed powder. But though even though my SF Fluid is NC25 too, it looks slightly darker than the powder version.

on 3/6/2008 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I usually like to try a foundation out a few times before deciding whether or not I like it, but I hated this one so much I really really don't want to use it again. I like most MAC foundations that I've tried, my favourites: Select Tint and Studio Tech. But this foundation was just so horrible for me. The coverage was really full and thick, it didn't let my skin show through at all and I like sheer, transparent foundations that let your natural skintones slip through a bit and only even out skintone a little. I also like a dewy, glowy finish and this was matte, probably good for oily types and people who want a flawless, matte finish, but I like to look fresh and glowy and moist. Staying power was great though, stayed put the whole day long and didn't rub off at all. If you are looking for a matte, shine-free long-lasting foundation with full coverage you would probably like this. Oh the colour match wasn't really good for me either, I have yellow-toned skin but it is also pink, weird I know! So I got an NC35 sample and it was just too yellow for me, when I use a more sheer foundation it doesn't really matter if it isn't a perfect colour match because it lets my own skin show through and the colour blends in naturally, but because this foundation is so thick and opaque it didn't let any of my natural pink show through and therefore looked unnatural.

on 3/4/2008 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I bought studio fix fluid in NC50. It looked great initially, but turned orange and greasy a few hours later. I tried it over a foundation primer (both NARS and Smashbox) with the same results. I wouldn't recommend this product for anyone with oily skin.