November 24, 2014 | 1943 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2004 8:50:00 AM More reviews by Annamary

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I liked this product for the first month or so. Then I noticed I had blackheads where I'd never seen them before. I stopped using Purity, and voila! problem solved. I've never had a cleanser that clogged my pores like this one did.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2004 7:12:00 PM More reviews by fooniegoo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i really wanted to like this product...it does take off makeup very well, even stubborn mascara. But after using it for only a couple of days, I woke up one morning to find my face peeling! Looked awful and took days to recover. Way too drying and I am not a dry skin person.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2004 6:43:00 PM More reviews by slojane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This just makes my normal/dry breakout prone skin feel clean. I have mild rosacea on my cheeks and this has never irritated it. I stray, but I always come back to this cleanser.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2004 7:28:00 PM More reviews by searayin

I wanted so much to like this product, but it does not work for me. It made my skin very dry and dull. I will stick with my Ponds.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2004 5:07:00 PM More reviews by MtnBikeGrl

I bought this at Sephora while browsing through. I wasn't really looking for a new cleanser (I have an HG in Origins Never A Dull Moment), but I experienced temporary insanity and plunked down some money for the Philosophy cleanser. I still have some Origins left, and was going to wait until it was all gone to try the Philosophy, but then I got nervous: What if I hated the Philosophy and didn't have my Origins to fall back on?

So, I tried it on my face this morning. I really like the smell, sort of a woodsy-mint with hints of lemon. The packaging seems...juvenile. I like the clear bottle and the small snap cap though -- much less messy than a twist-off or pump. The cleanser itself is very thin, and my problem was that it didn't lather enough for me. I'm big on lots of lather -- it assures me that the cleanser is working, that it's cleaning deep down, that it's doing what I paid a pretty penny for it to do.

I rinsed the cleanser off (it rinsed pretty clean) and then waited to apply moisturizer. I didn't notice that my skin was tighter than usual -- I have very normal, not dry, not sensitive, not combination, not breakout-prone skin, and unless a cleanser is really not formulated right for me, nothing crazy happens.

I won't be buying this again just because of the lathering aspect. I have my Origins to fall back on, and while I may give Checks and Balances a try (also Origins), I'm finished trying to find the perfect cleanser. I think I've hit the nail on the head with Origins! (Origins is also cheaper than Philosophy...another selling point. But anyways.)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2004 4:27:00 PM More reviews by SinCity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

In many ways I agree with others who wonder what the big deal is about this cleanser. It doesn't do anything "special." But it doesn't irritate or dry my skin out, it gets rid of all make-up including mascara and to my nose does not have a truly unpleasant scent. So I have to give it a 4 because basically it does everything I need it to do (I don't use toner at all).

rated 3 of 5 on 9/15/2004 5:43:00 PM More reviews by cucas87

This didn't work for me. It did clean my face, but not better than cetaphil, and i didn't like the scent. overall, not worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2004 5:31:00 PM More reviews by lipglosadict

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got two of these in 32 ounce size pump jugs, because I love them. I read the reviews complaining about the smell, but I don't have a problem with the scent. I can barely smell it, and what I do smell, is not offensive at all. It cleans the make up off, and leaves me feeling clean, but not dry. I like keeping one in the shower, and one by the sink.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2004 12:22:00 PM More reviews by BBCat

I got this product as part of the Amazing Grace gift kit. I really like this product and have bought it twice already. A little goes a long way. I've tried almost every face wash for my combination skin -inexpensive and expensive. I like the consistency of this product - very light and smooth. The scent is very calming and pleasant. The product doesn't make my face feel dry nor greasy. Very balancing face wash. Removes my makeup without residue.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2004 6:09:00 PM More reviews by whooey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this cleanser. You only need a little bit to get the job done. It gets rid of all makeup and it doesn't strip your skin, but it does work heavy duty. My dry skin needs a bit more to cleanse it since I've moved to the south. This stuff seems to do the trick. The smell is a little off, but it is very faint. I think I may have found my HG.