July 25, 2014 | 1831 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2003 1:44:00 PM More reviews by zoemarr

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a staple I buy again and again. Double wear has medium to full coverage. It stays in place all day. I get compliments on my skin and it is really a compliment for this product. One caution: When you apply, do a part of your face at a time and blend, blend. Once the product has set, that's it. So if you left a streak, a streak will stay.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2003 1:14:00 PM More reviews by suziew

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have combi/oily skin which tends to break out at times, so I prefer a fuller coverage foundation. This foundation provides excellent coverage without looking like a mask. If you apply is straight after moisteriser it blends really well and gives a really nice satin finish. It probably wouldn't work well on dryer skins, but for my skin it really controls shine and oil, so I also find I get fewer spots. The only thing I don't like is the packaging which can get a little messy, but I would definately buy again

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2003 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Samantha_Thatcher

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I will admit that Double Wear gives great coverage...but you tend to end up looking like Tammy Fay Baker! It caused soooo much congestion in my skin...totally broke me out in a major way. Also, most of the foundation colors in the EL line are way too dark/orangy for me. To sum it up: very HEAVY and MASKLIKE...great if you want to look like a corpse. 11/29/07 UPDATE: I gave this another try & am glad I did. I have learned to apply it with better results: I use a damp Beauty Blender sponge and stipple it on. You have to be quick, because once this stuff dries, it's not moving. I'm 38 now, and my skin has become a bit blotchy & needs more coverage. The shade selection has vastly improved...I use Linen, which is a nice warm ivory with no orange undertones. I am not quite as oily/acne prone as I was a few years back; as long as I wash my face at night, I have not had any problems with this clogging my pores. The first time I wore this to work, someone actually commented that my skin looked nice...so I knew I was on the right track! haha I took one lippie away due to how fast you have to be to blend this stuff before it dries. It sure does last though...I still look decent at the end of the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2003 12:00:00 PM More reviews by mjf2001

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best foundation for my skin that I have ever used. Totally transfer-resistant, never separates on my very oily skin, blends beautifully over my very coarsely textured cheeks. Hides my sun damage. Best yet, no one can even tell that I am wearing foundation, and when I wear it, I get compliments all day on how great my SKIN looks, not on how my FOUNDATION looks. I h ave been wearing it regularly for over a year now and I would never switch it. The best base for me ever!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2003 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Noahsmom

This is a very good makeup. I used it for 3 years before I realized the color just wasn't right for me (Dumb huh?). I tried just about all of the colors that were around my skin tone but they were all too pink or too yellow. What a shame because this is the best makeup I have ever used. It has amazing coverage and lasts ALL DAY. You can touch your face without getting a mess all over your hand. This is the best transfer resistant makeup out there.I don't recommend it to those with very dry skin, and you do need a good moisturizer underneath it no matter what skin type. You need to apply it fast because once it's dry, it's there to stay. I never had problems removing it like some of the other reviews , and I just use a basic foaming cleanser. If you want a great transfer resistant makeup with sheer to full coverage, this is it.I just wish the colors were more realistic!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2003 5:52:00 PM More reviews by lisetterenee

I absolutely love this foundation. A friend of mine who was working for EL gave me a sample, and I've been hooked ever since.
It lasts really well for the majority of the day. My skin can get really dry and flaky, and when it is at it's worst, the foundation can get dry, flaky, and cakey too. However, as long as my skin is in good condition, I am THRILLED with the results of this foundation.
Many people have told me removal of this foundation is difficult. I find that Neutrogena Deep Cleanser works WONDERS. It seems to dissolve the foundation and leave no residue after a few swipes over the face with a toner.
The biggest draw back (other than the price), I seem to have to use a lot of product to even out my skin ton completely. I have some redness in my skin and quite a few freckles, so it takes some serious work and product to make everything look even.
BUT IT'S WORTH IT!

UPDATE--4/13/03--After almost a year of wearing this product it started turning orange on me. I had several friends say "what's wrong with your make-up" over the course of a couple days. Needless to say, I returned it, and the sales girls were really friendly as they assisted me in trying another color. Warm Bisque in Double Matte didn't work at all either, but at least they tried.
I wish EL would make a Double Wear color that would work for me!I will miss this foundation a lot!

UPDATE --4/27/03-- After I started having trouble with this foundation, I made a conscious decision to try to get my skin in better condition rather than piling on the foundation. After just a few weeks of my new mantra, I've noticed a SUBSTANTIAL difference. I've only switched from using this foundation and from my long time favorite moisturizer, and my skin is in MUCH better condition. When I was using this foundation (and the one I used previous to this one) I was experiencing relatively serious breakouts, but I thought it was a result of my bad skin getting worse. However, a few weeks away from this foundation (and using Aveda Dual Base instead), and I'm surprised at the improved condition of my skin. Not only are my breakouts DRAMATICALLY reduced, but so are my blackheads. Also, discoloration on my cheeks and chin from a year or two worth of heavy breakouts have faded. I'm so glad I gave my skin some breathing room. I'm hoping my skin will continue to get better to where I won't even feel like I NEED foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2003 7:34:00 PM More reviews by cabaret22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in warm sand, which matched my yellow-tone skin quite good. Not perfect, but good.
Those who wants a great matte coverage with staying power, this is it.
It lasted through a gym workout, though it didn't stay flawless, it didn't melt like other foundations.
However, this is not for those with acne-prone skin as it is very hard to remove and tends to clog pores. It's supposed to be oil free, but I don't quite believe that.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2003 5:16:00 PM More reviews by Dampiera

I got a generous sample of this from the counter once and I couldn't believe how PERFECTLY it matched my skin tone! I can use it just as a concealer or I can use it as a full fledged foundation on bad skin days. Either way I'm told by many many people that they can't even tell that I am wearing foundation. It just looks that natural if you apply it correctly. I use a dry makeup wedge for use as a concealer or foundation brush (mine is from Aura Science). As for the wear of it yes, it is stubborn. My Aura Science Normal Skin cleanser takes it right off (along with mascara and anything else in it's way!) so I haven't had a problem there. My shade (shell) is so perfect but I don't know about others. It's priced on the high end of what I would pay for foundation but I got my second bottle for Christmas and the first one lasted me a good 6 months.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2002 12:49:00 AM More reviews by kittyhawk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a good foundation for those who want good coverage wihout having to splurge on concealers. It looks real natural when applied with a good wedge sponge. I will not advise anyone to use fingers coz it'll appear too thick and masked. I rated it "4" coz it needs effort to remove. I have to use a cleansing oil, estee's take it away followed by a cleansing gel to get the entire gunk off my face. But it's really worth the effort cause I don't hv to touch up. It never caked or melt in the hot humid weather. But if you're blemish prone, it is highly recommended to wash this off thoroughly coz it's smudgeproof and waterproof. I don't hv to worry about it coming off tho I accidentally shed tears or get caught in the rain. It's also a good foundation to wear when I wanna go exercise on bad skin days. Stays put in water and sweat.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2002 7:01:00 PM More reviews by chi77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I stopped using this after I broke out and thought this foundation attributed to clogged pores. Then I reused this 2 wks ago. This time, I made sure I cleansed it using my a 3-step cleansing regime. And it worked! So I'm happy to say I'm giving this a "5" cause it really is a good HG foundation. I'm using Bone 01 and I usually wear the lightest or second lightest shade in most brands. UPDATE: I've stopped using this for a year and decided to pull it out of the drawer one day. This time, I yelled "OMIGOD"!! After an hour, this looked like a mask that was starting to crack under my powder. In fact, I had tried every possible way to go light and easy but it still screams thick and gooey. Ok, will avoid this now at all expense. Down my score from "5" to ""1".