MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 7/2/2008 2:12:00 PM

Would I buy this again ? ? Yes and no ! If they made this in a neutral creamy pale alabastar skin colour I definitely would as other reviews here people credit it on its lasting power but . . . when I bought the lightest shade NC15 or something, it had definite yellow undertones as if it was made for pale asian people, but I am a v.pale Irish person with mid red hair. My skin is nealy transparent it is soooo light and I am sick of sail assistants telling me to go darker to BLEND MY FRECKLES IN with my skin ! I am not wearing tan make up so you can't see them ! ! I want long lasting pale. neutral pale and was really suprised when I asked for the palest colour from MAC, who are supposedly the kings/queens of the colour spectrum, giving me this craaaaaapp ! Can anybody help me ?

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I am not a huge fan of MAC ( I know this is overly popular and I may seem unpopular, but I do think MAC is overrated and it's a lot about marketing).
However, being as curious as a cat and as I always like to try new stuff and I trust my fellow MUAer reviewers, I decided to buy some of the MAC foundations (and powders) some time ago on a shopping spree in Milan (as MAC is not found everywhere here in Italy, you need to go to big cities).

Studio fix is a good foundation if you have never tried other stuff! There are definitely much better foundations out there. And as I am a high-end oriented lady (Ih ih ih) I must say this one is under the average.
Bad bottle: plain glass (dangerous in the bathroom!) and no pump. I always have a hard time getting some product out of the narrow mouthed bottle. (and in case you get close to finishing - which will not be my case - you never get to use all the product as you cannot cut open the bottle as you do with plastic ones to use uop what is left!!)
In addition, the bottle, is so cheap looking!! I mean I know MAc in the US and Canada is Ok price wide - so this would justify a 'cheap' bottle - but here in Italy i paid this bloody foundation as a Lancome one (and I woudl ahve done better in buying Lancome I guess).
Classic wide colour range, this is the only plus. I bought NC15 which matched me perfectly in winter (in summer I use a darker shade as I tan)
It is a bit troublesome to spread and apply. I had to work it over and over in order to blend it.
It's a bit better using a brush. But the finish is not what I wanted. Looks so-so, not polished enough for my taste.
Coverage is OK. Little staying power (holds kind a two hours then gets super shiny).

on 6/29/2008 12:31:00 PM

I have used this one for a while and I tend to go back to this even though I am tempted to buy other foundations every now and then i go back to this.

I think it gives good coverage and leaves my combination skin shine free though I would like a pump bottle.

on 6/25/2008 11:55:00 AM

I used this product for several months until I finally came to a conclusion that my skin was breaking out so bad from this product. I kept blaming it on stress, etc but as soon as I switched brands within days my skin cleared up completely. I loved the coverage that this product gave me, but by the end of the day it was cakey and made my skin so oily.

on 6/23/2008 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I liked the coverage and all that BUT it made my skin red, itchy, and gave me bumps on my forehead that I can't get rid of. I used this stuff over a year ago and the bumps are still there.

on 6/23/2008 4:33:00 PM

This is my first time in purchasing and wearing a liquid foundation. My skin was of the combination type till I moved to a desert country and became extremely on the dry side. Itís so dry that that wearing The Body Shopís Ultra Smooth Foundation (cream foundation in shade 02) accentuated all the dry flakes on my face. Thatís when I started exploring on the internet and found that liquid foundations are relatively better for dry skins. After months of researching (mainly reading reviews on MUA) I narrowed my choices down to Estee Lauderís Double Wear Light, Chanelís Vitalumiere, and MACís Studio Fix Fluid. However I decided to go along with Studio Fix Fluid (SFF for short) as I was worried about the limited shade ranges in both the other foundations. Turns out I made a good enough choice.

I got matched with NW25, however I felt at the MAC store that this shade was a tiny bit dark for my skin. The MAC Artist and my sister both agreed with NW25 and thatís the shade I ended up buying. I tried out the SFF at home and it matched the skin tone of my face perfectly. However, my face is slightly darker than the neck-down portion, and this fact showed when I took pictures of the foundation on my skin. (Solved the problem through mixing the SFF with Body Shopís Ultra Smooth Foundation which is a lighter shade, and luckily obtained the perfect desired results. Next time, I would rather go with a NW20 shade of SFF.)

Before using the foundation, I cleansed and exfoliated my skin, and then applied a heavy moisturizer on my dry skin (OLAYís Natural White Night cream). Next, I applied the SFF using my fingers and results turned out to be quite good. I have a couple of dark spots and few pimple blemishes that were covered completely by the foundation. SFF is easy to blend into the skin and helps in evening-out the skin tone. The coverage is about medium and didnít look very cakey or makeupy. (Tested using pictures with my digital camera with and without the flash, and in daylight and indoors.) The finish was semi-matte and semi-dewy, which I preferred.

Next I applied SFF using the MAC 187 Stippling brush (which I also bought with foundation), and the results were even more amazing. The blending of the foundation was even better and the finish was more natural than before. The MAC 187 caused the foundation to feel lightweight on my skin. The dry flakes on my face didnít show at all, and my skin felt smooth all over (though Iím sure exfoliating beforehand helped). Set with a little bit of powder (The Body Shopís All-in-one Face Base Ė shade 03), the foundation lasted long enough on my face. My mother complemented my skin straight away and she didnít even realize at first that I was wearing foundation.

I havenít experienced any breakouts with SFF, and I didnít expect it because I only wear foundations on special occasions, parties, etc and not everyday. The price was reasonable (equivalent to US $35). The only downside is that the bottle does not come with a pump, and MAC didnít have any of the optional pumps at the time. Taking off one lippy because of the lack of pump and the incorrect shade match at the MAC store.

Overall, I am quite happy with the results of Studio Fix Fluid foundation and can recommend this to girls who have skin on the drier side. I also recommend the MAC 187 Stippling brush (which will probably work well with most other foundations). I would definitely purchase this foundation again, though next time I might just try out my other two choices.

Edit: Changed the rating from a 4 to 5. The Studio Fix Fluid foundation (using the MAC 187 brush) gives the most flawless, natural, and an airbrushed appearance.

on 6/22/2008 8:14:00 PM

I had a sample of this and it lasted me long time. I eventually bought it because I realized $25 wasn't much to spend on a good foundation, especially compared to other high end foundations.

I had tried to be cheap and use Maybelline's instant age rewind, which I was happy with coverage but not from the breakouts.

I'm pretty sure MAC's Studio Fix Fluid has not made me break out.

I wish they would provide the pump for a cheaper price.

Update 7-1-08: I believe this is my HG foundation. So far anyway! I am NC15, oily, acne-prone skin and it still does wonders for coverage. I recently purchased MAC's 187 brush to apply it and I love it! I also do not set my foundation with powder and my face seems to do just fine! :)

Update 7-19-08:
Still loving it! I sometimes look at my face in natural sunlight without makeup and then look at it after I apply the foundation. The coverage is amazing!

Update 3-10-09:
I don't use this anymore. I'm too pale for their lightest shade. (I finally noticed how dark it was one day while in the sun.....). Also, perhaps this stuff did make my skin break out.
I've been using Neutrogena Skin Clearing foundation in blush ivory for about five months now. I dig it. No break outs with that one.

MAC SFF is probably a decent foundation for a non-acne prone individual who is not pale.

This is my HG of foundations, I wear NC25 and its a perfect match for my skin, the sales assistant was helpful when it came to choosing my colour. This foundation is medium to full coverage (depending on how much you use) but it never looks too cakey or anything, it covers really well and lasts brilliantly, i still get a little shiny on my nose in the middle of the day but less than i do with other foundations and its nothing a bit of blot powder wont sort out, it hasnt broke me out so far and ive used it a while. My only criticism is that you have to pay for the pump, i know its only £2.50 but when you are paying approx £19/£20 for a foundation i think the pump should come with it...but then again its well worth buying the pump as you use less product and its easier/quicker. Overall my favourite foundation ive ever tried (and ive tried tons!)

on 6/20/2008 4:22:00 PM

Let me start off by saying I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this product! The coverage is amazing for my combination skin. I tend to have very very oily skin, and this seems to cover that oil instead of multiplying it. The only downside is the semi-heavy feel of the foundation [and i use a lighter amount of it]. However, it is quite remarkable for two reasons. The first being it's colour match, it's as if i put my natural skin colour on, which is fantastic, [no colour lines]. And the second is that it transforms your skin! my blemishes turn from pink/red to the foundation colour. I can not stop raving about this product.

I've read a couple concerns of acne breakouts and that this product should not be worn on a daily basis, in my case it is the opposite for both. My combination skin is OILY [no joke] therefore I am prone to breakouts but the MAC studio fix fluid doesn't seem to be causing me harm and I've been using it DAILY for about 3-4 weeks. I love the coverage and appearance of it that's why I'm using it daily.

The last comment I have about this product is the container, which is completely useless, I am not sticking my brush or finger in it, it's just not hygenic, they should have made these with pumps! Either way I bought the MAC pump for a reasonable $5, however I would have preferred the product just be made with a pump to begin with.

Overall opinion: My favourite foundation to date!

on 6/20/2008 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I am very happy with this foundation. It is easy to apply, with a brush or a sponge. I prefer to use a sponge because it is easier to control and I don't get any streaks. In the winter I can use a bit more as I need more coverage, and in the summer, I can apply with a lighter hand. It can look a little powdery if you use too much though. It can also be a bit drying, so I just make sure to use it when my skin is feeling "normal". It gives me a great flawless finish that looks great in photo's and lasts all day. I would give it a 5 if it was a tad more moisturizing.