July 24, 2014 | 1587 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2004 6:09:00 AM More reviews by hannahc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

One of the best non-foaming cleansers I've ever used. It is great for people who find foaming cleansers too harsh but not into wipe-off cleansing milks either. It cleanses well and leaves the skin feeling smooth...great buy since a bottle lasts for ages!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2004 2:58:00 AM More reviews by catherine200

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is NOT for us with truly oily skin. It did not lather at all which is fine if it would work, but it didn't take off anything the first time I "washed" my face with this. Everytime I used it I would have to apply it 3 times just to clean my face, and after that my face felt pretty good. But it's just not worth having to wash it 3 times!!!!! This stuff is terrible for oily skin even though the "purity" thing makes it sound like it would work. I will stick to my Shiseido Purness Cleansing Foam which is wonderful and you only need a tiny bit of cleanser to get everything off your face at the end of the day.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2004 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Lizawithaz

Feb '09 and I'm editing my review from 4 years ago. They did something to this product to change it, and I hate it now. Their website says all they did was change a cleansing agent, and explains a major change in the ingredient label as an error, that the old label was incorrect. I guess I'll take that on faith since I've always trusted this company, but meanwhile the new bottles of purity with the new ingredient list stink, they don't have the same wonderful smell I use to love. The cleanser is now way too liquidy (is that a word?) and wow does it dry out my face really something awful. Such a disappointment.

original review of the original product from 2004;

There are plenty of reviews describing how this cleanser works so I won't get too into it. I'm generally not a fan of non-foaming cleansers but I love this. I've used it off and on ever since it was introduced a long time ago. As I've aged and my concerns have shifted away from just being oily or breaking out, I've been using this more. It's fairly gentle and does a great job of removing makeup and cleansing. Dry gals might find this a little too potent. Oily gals might not think it's potent enough, but after years of trying to dry out my oily skin only to cause more problems, I think this is a great gentle cleanser if you are slightly oily or combo. The smell is not for everyone, but I am very sensitive to fragrance in products and the smell of this does not bother me. They now sell this at sephora in a nice $10 travel size. I highly recommend trying one of Philosophy's peels, and some of them come with a sample bottle of Purity as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2004 4:06:00 PM More reviews by DrewToo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am a total believer in Philosophy products after going on Accutane and having my skin look like hell. Well, one morning in the shower I am using Cetaphil (as the doctor reccommended) and my face was burning! I washed with Purity and was so happy that my face stopped burning. Followed up with Hope in a Jar and a few other Philosophy products and at my next appt. my Derm. was shocked that I exhibited none of the signs of someone on Accutane. I have been off my meds for awhile now and am staunchly loyal to Philosophy after my experience.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2004 11:28:00 AM More reviews by sunshine34

I've been using this for two weeks now and so far no irritation of my easily annoyed, acne prone skin. My skin is actually behaving better than usual but I'll need to use it for a bit longer to be sure it's having a positive effect rather than just no negative effect. (Will update in two weeks.)***********************************UPDATE* My skin likes this stuff! It's looking less congested and lumpy - bumpy than usual - and I have no big spots just old scars. I've just had my period and no monthly breakout! I am very happy with its ability to remove my makeup effortlessly because I wear a fair old amount of slap! I think the bottle will last me AGES because I only use a small amount. I'm SO glad I tried this line.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2004 7:11:00 AM More reviews by STACEYFFF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Gently cleans without stripping, will not take off waterproof make-up (of course). Smells and feels good on skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2004 8:50:00 AM More reviews by Annamary

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I liked this product for the first month or so. Then I noticed I had blackheads where I'd never seen them before. I stopped using Purity, and voila! problem solved. I've never had a cleanser that clogged my pores like this one did.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2004 7:12:00 PM More reviews by fooniegoo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i really wanted to like this product...it does take off makeup very well, even stubborn mascara. But after using it for only a couple of days, I woke up one morning to find my face peeling! Looked awful and took days to recover. Way too drying and I am not a dry skin person.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2004 6:43:00 PM More reviews by slojane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This just makes my normal/dry breakout prone skin feel clean. I have mild rosacea on my cheeks and this has never irritated it. I stray, but I always come back to this cleanser.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2004 7:28:00 PM More reviews by searayin

I wanted so much to like this product, but it does not work for me. It made my skin very dry and dull. I will stick with my Ponds.