MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

on 4/18/2008 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I need more coverage than this can provide without getting chalky and cakey. Gotta love the color selection though.

on 4/18/2008 6:28:00 PM

I used to use SF years ago, and over time I noticed it started to dry me out around the nose and also the chin. I tried to use different moisturizers with it and even Fix Plus spray and still it dried me out. However, it does work really well with oily skin, and looks lovely with the fix plus spray. Can look a bit cakey if you put too much on. It goes on so much better with a brush though, instead of the sponge. If I could wear it, I would buy it again.

on 4/18/2008 12:51:00 PM

I love Studio fix! I find you can't use it for heavy coverage though, because then it looks caked on. It looks amazing over other foundations or for light coverage though! The only problem I've found is that halfway through the day my face tends to look greasy, and I don't have greasy/oily skin by any means. Good overall product though! Would definitely by it again!

on 4/17/2008 3:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

It's a staple!
I wear it all the time and never have a problem with it. To the person below be that said it looked cakey..are you applying with a powder brush or those sponges? Cause the sponges are rubbish and unhygenic.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Yuck this crappy powder looked caked on. no matter how light handed i applied it. Nice color selection. Not great for combo skin. Mac foundations suck!!!!!

on 4/15/2008 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

*sigh* Ok, I have a love/hate relationship with this Studio Fix. On one hand, I *love* the powder foundation because it's got great coverage, finish, it lasts all day, and it's convenient (just a bit of select cover-up on my eyes, a powder brush and this and my face is done). However, color selection has been just short of a nightmare (last year I was NW43, this year I am NC45/50--very different), and if I wear this too often (like 2-3 days in a row) I get little breakouts on my cheek areas...but if I'm having an "OMG, I have 5 min to get out the door!" day, I'll grab this. Any other day, it's Px Virtual Matte and that whole process.

I want to keep experimenting with this product and see if I can do something to prevent the sporadic breakouts (maybe extra moisturizer to the cheeks, or try a primer first), so if I find a solution, I'll edit my review as needed.

Update 1/18/09: So it took me 2 yrs but I finally found a color that matches--C8. I also don't experience any breakouts since changing my skin care regiment to all one line (Clinique) versus a mix of expensive and drugstore stuff. Will still repurchase.

Update 1/27/09: Please use makeup remover with this foundation! A product that removes makeup (or a makeup wipe) followed by your regular cleanser. I realized that the breakouts are due to this being a long-lasting makeup. So cleanse thoroughly and every night!!

on 4/15/2008 3:48:00 AM

Very good powder, best one I've used so far, but I'm sure there's better... still top of my list though at the moment! It gives a nice matte finish and has awesome coverage.

on 4/14/2008 8:41:00 PM

I love this product, especially when you apply some tint moisterizer an after you apply the Mac studio fix and it really good.

on 4/14/2008 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is actually my holy grail face powder. I've been using it exclusively for almost three years, and love the coverage it provides. The price is right, and I love MAC products anyway.

on 4/14/2008 2:53:00 PM

Strange because I used to wear this product all the time - and it broke me out BAD! But after all these years I decided to try it again because I had fond memories of the coverage this foundation provided and I haven't been loving my skin recently. So, while visiting the MAC counter, I decided to have the MA put this on me. Well, the coverage is still amazing! I have really bad rosacea and this creates a completely matte, blank slate. But that's part of the problem - there's no depth, no realism to the finish. I looked in the mirror for the rest of the time at the mall and was semi-horrified. I looked sad, cakey, and overdone in a morning-after kind of way.

This might work on someone with more dewy skin, but not moi... I'll try it again in another decade :)