MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 4/16/2008 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

As much as I love MAC I hate their foundations. Especially this one. It clogs my pores, looks like a mask and dried my skin while I always thought I tended to have combination skin. I bought NW40 in the summer and was very disapponted after using it. It caked and was very difficult to apply as it dried so fast. I've put the full bottle to good use though. In the winter when I'm paler I use just a drop of it and mix it with my MUFA foundation when I go out to give me a tan. Works great, but I guess it was't the exact purpose.

on 4/16/2008 10:26:00 AM

I Love this makeup. I have tried EVERYTHING and I think I have found what i am looking for. I went for a lighter shade than I normally do and it was perfect NW20. It was fantastic medium coverage and gave my skin a nice smooth finish...covered up all my redness. I will definately buy again. It stays all day, especially when paired up with the MAC primer. I'll edit this if it starts breaking my skin out..as I am prone to breakouts.

on 4/16/2008 3:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Great foundation im so happy i finally bought it ....i was scared because people said it will cause break outs and my skin is prone to break outs
Since i use SFF my skin is even clearer and the color match is great (NW20) i love the coverage and how it stays put on oily skin
I use the oil control lotion and the matte gel before and the studio fix powder to set the foundation (yes i love full coverage)

i wish the pump was free other than that my new found HG

on 4/15/2008 3:54:00 PM

I've been wearing Studio Fix (liquid) for seven months now, and my super-sensitive, adult-acne-prone, super-pale skin has had absolutely no problems with it. I think that this is primarily due to getting it totally off my face every night and before I work out - you don't want to leave any kind of long-wearing makeup on overnight or when you sweat as it can cause a lot of clogged pores. (I use Vaseline all over my face as a make-up remover, followed by a warm washcloth, and then followed by a cotton pad soaked in Home Health Products Blemish Treatment Lotion - it acts not only to fight against breakouts but a bit as a toner and to get the last bit of dirt or makeup off as well.)

So - back to the foundation. The MAC consultants were totally off in color matching. They matched me to an NW20 to "offset" my pale, pink-toned skin - I've never agreed with the idea that you should go with an opposite allover makeup tone - I think you should try to go with as close a tone to your natural one as possible so that it looks natural. The NW20, in sunlight, looked horribly orange - big surprise. So I returned it and got NC15 instead, much to the consultant's warning against it, and it is a perfect match. Cool tone for my cool skin - what a shocker.

To avoid the clownish look which can so easily be attained with this medium- to full-coverage foundation, but yet keep that wonderful, flaw-masking coverage, I use a combinate of two brushes (not MAC, as they use animal hair and I'm against that). I use a Sonia Kashuk foundation brush to apply a little bit of foundation on one section of my face at a time, and then I buff it out with a Too Faced kabuki brush. The result is a bit of an air-brushed look without the cakey foundation appearance, and it lasts a good 10 hours. I've tried different methods (sponge application, using my fingers, foundation brush only) and they simply don't work with this foundation - I end up with a look that screams "I'm wearing foundation!!!" So - give the foundation/kabuki brush combination a try - it works wonders with any medium/full coverage foundation. BTW, the only primer I use is Neutrogena SPF 55 oil-free sunscreen.

My only complaint about this product is that I can't tell how much is left in the bottle - although after wearing it nearly every day for over seven months, there is still a substantial amount that seems to be left. I shake the bottle and only need to use what ends up in the lid - so a tiny bit of this goes a very long way. I love it!!

on 4/13/2008 9:02:00 PM

I definitely recommend this foundation. I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I do but it exceeded my expectations and now it's my HG foundation. It has really great coverage and sometimes I don't even need concealer. I bought a pump to go with it because it doesn't come with one and it makes it last a lot longer... I only pump it once on to the back of my hand and then apply it with my 190 brush. Buffing on a loose powder helps set it once you have it exactly like you want it.

on 4/13/2008 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I was actually surprised how much I like this foundation. I usually avoid oil-free formulations but read good things about it here and on You Tube. Sephora was out of my usual Stila Illuminating in 20 watts so after much research, I got this Studio Fix Fluid in nc25 and my skin is LLL/MMM with yellow undertones for reference.
I would say this is not drying or crepey matte at all - it's nice and gives a little more coverage than my Illuminating which is a bit thinner and more moisturizing and a touch lighter in tone.
I'm a foundation nut and very fussy about texture and matching the color to my skin.
First I moisturize my skin on the parts that need it and then use my Smashbox Primer. Then I apply this with my Stila #27 Perfecting Foundation brush and sometimes my fingers, and once in a while I moisten a sponge with moisturizer and then put the foundation on it.
All 3 method work great. My new thing is to mix the 2 foundations together in a little jar [left over from eye cream that's used up]. I stir it up thoroughly and so there's no fear of contaminating the whole bottle of foundation. Because the Studio Fix Fluid is not in a pump.
After I apply it, I use my palms and fingers to press/roll which 'melds' the foundation into the skin. Then I blot with a tissue to remove any excess or shine.
You get a perfect but natural look.

on 4/13/2008 9:18:00 AM

ugh!!!!

Frankly, that sums it up. But, aside from the useless oily texture, the crappy lack of coverage (despite the thick-looking finish) the colour selection for fair skin is awful. Oh, unless you are naturally very yellow, or have a hankering to look very yellow- then it'll be perfect.

Girls, please go get Estee Lauder DW, there is nothing else that comes even close. MAC is totally overrated. Although I'll admit I like their brushes. In particular the 187 brush is divine (albeit horrifically overpriced!!)

on 4/12/2008 6:46:00 PM

I can't believe this product isn't more popular (it only has 15 reviews!). I decided to try a liquid foundation after years of struggles with compacts. I went through Studio Fix/Tech and multiple brands by many other companies. The sales assistant recommended Studio Fix Fluid, as I told her I needed a liquid foundation with some really good coverage. It ended up costing me about $30 CAD - a price that I cannot complain about considering the quality of this stuff. Very quickly did Fluid become a staple in my daily routine.

From a glance, it makes my skin look absolutely flawless, covering any and every imperfection on my skin........but close-up it definitely looks like I'm wearing too much foundation! It's really disappointing that it looks so heavy and unnatural up close, otherwise I'd love to use it on a daily basis.

Other than that, you need very little to get by for a full-day, an entire bottle lasts me about a year. So far I've been through two bottles, and have just recently decided to try higher end brands in hopes that it will give me a similar look, but more natural looking.

on 4/11/2008 7:27:00 PM

This has been one of the only foundations that has actually worked for me. The coverage looks natural and even though it might be pricey it lasts for a long time.. It matches perfectly with my skin and i usually break out but with I havven't had any problems with this makeup.. Along with that is looks great in pictures and it doesn't rub off like other makeup.

on 4/11/2008 7:36:00 AM

More accurately, I'd give this a rating of 3.7. Although I do like the product, I wouldn't give it a solid 4. It gives good coverage and looks pretty natural. I apply it with a foundation brush then buff it with a clean powder brush. They also have a good color selection, but as others have sighted do not rely on the SA's to find you an accurate color match. I've been told so many different colors, bought them in a rush, came home and found out it is not the right color for me. The reasons this isn't a 4 for me is that it's a little too matte for my liking. I wanted something that gave the appearence of real skin, which is not completely matte. Also, when I wear this foundation I can feel that I'm wearing make-up, a feeling I am not fond of. One last thing I've noticed since wearing this foundation is that I've experience some breakouts, I'm not entirely sure if this is because of this make-up or not, but I wanted to post it and see if this is a reoccuring problem with other users.