August 2, 2014 | 1088 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2004 3:34:00 PM More reviews by MyNewHobby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I stopped by the EL counter and had the MUA do me up.

It did not cover eye circles well. I asked twice about being able to see the circles under my eyes after her applications. She said she didn't see anything wrong with the circles. I insisted and she applied some more concealer. Still didn't cover it. By the end of the day the makeup found every last wrinkle to settle into.

For something this expensive, I don't want to have to do touchups as I would with this product and my main concern was covering the eye circles.

The search for the HG continues...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2003 2:48:00 PM More reviews by blush223

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I truly liked this foundation at first. The coverage is great and the foundation really does last and last without caking or "blotching." A little goes a long way. If you use too much, it will look like a mask. My only complaint early on was that there was such a limited range of shades that I couldn't get a really good match.

However! This foundation has ravaged my skin more than any beauty product I've ever used! Worst acne I've ever had! The MUA at EL said I must not have been cleansing it all off at night. Not true - I was using the special cleanser to remove the foundation itself (you are suppose to use a special cleanser to take it off), then a regular cleanser just to clean my face as usual. What I found was that my skin was reacting to the foundation. Even with clear skin, I'd apply it in the morning, and by evening I'd have this terrible cystic acne erupting on my cheeks (not a usual acne spot for me) and chin! I've thrown the ELDW away and won't go near it again! My skin (after one month) still is blotchy, awful and healing from the acne. Not worth it, and I'm pretty mad. This is about as non-acnegenic as Crisco, at least for me.

This could be a great foundation for some, but TEST IT for a week or so before committing to it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2003 6:53:00 PM More reviews by SweetEngineer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Double Matte SPF 15 - I use the color Warm Sand for my medium asian skin. It's my HG foundation, but unfortunately, it's being discontinued (the first color to go is my Warm Sand, also the best-selling color. go figure!) I was told Ideal Matte will replace it, so read my review on that. I highly recommend Double Matte for the oiliest skin like mine (think 2-3 full sheets of Clean&Clear blotters per day.) I love the SPF 15 and the fact that it's non-acnegenic (you won't find many products with such label.) A little goes a long way so it's good for its price. I wear this everyday and a bottle lasts me a year, if not more. I'm on my 3rd bottle now and bought a 4th since it's discontinued.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2003 4:48:00 PM More reviews by incoehoots

I use this now, while I am searching for another foundation. Here I am at 8 hours after applying and I can see my red skin come through. I use the double matte in the summer occasionally and do not have this problem. Goes on nice, overall it is just ok.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2003 1:31:00 PM More reviews by JoyceA

This product could be fantastic, but I never got to find out because I let the witch behind the counter decide for me which shade best matched my skin. Instead of being honest and telling me that actually none of them did, she sold me something so horrendous that when I saw it in daylight I nearly cried. After years of laughing to myself when I saw women walking along with their face one colour and their neck six shades lighter I realised that suddenly I was one of them. I think talking about it is giving me post traumatic stress disorder.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that a company as big, powerful (and expensive) as Estee Lauder should know that of all the billions of women in the world, the limited range of shades available in this makeup couldn't possibly be enough for there to be one to suit everyone. Don't encourage them any more by buying this stuff !

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2003 5:46:00 AM More reviews by lorien

Thank you, thank you, Estee Lauder! I love you for Double Wear and Double Matte!Double Wear is a goddess-send for fellow Asian girls with oily-combo skin. If you have dry patches all over, it's not for you. But long-lasting yet non-masky look is your goal, you gotta have it. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2003 4:26:00 AM More reviews by bramfordone

I really really love this foundation, I have combination/oily skin and this feels so nice, some foundations feel yucky on my skin but this feels so natural like there is nothing there at all, it gives a nice natural coverage and it lasts and lasts, unlike some I've tried which just sort of disappear after a couple of hours!!
Edited to say that although I love this, again I couldn't find a perfect shade for my skin, such a shame.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2003 4:27:00 AM More reviews by angeluv81

Wow, this product is wonderful!!! I have used a lot of foundations, but this one is the best that I have used so far on my combination skin. I have oily t-zones and a relatively clear smooth skin, except for some acne scars on the chin. This foundation can be a bit drying for the dry skin, but if you moisturize your face well before application, it will be fine. I think it might be a bit drying for winter, though. But overall, it is fantastic. I am using Sand, and it looks quite yellow, but when you apply it, it is at least a shade lighter. The staying power is awesome, and there's virtually no need for touch-up, except for a little blot of powder on the nose to eliminate that mid-day shine. Overall, fantastic! I hope they never discontinue it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2003 10:57:00 AM More reviews by lanilove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I rreally liked this foundation. My mom bought it and i sneaked in and used it. Much better than my drugstore brand. THe color is fabulous, it looks really natural, but the price Yikes!! I would love to buy it for myself --but the price is a little scary.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2003 12:05:00 AM More reviews by chaoz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Overall this is a very good long-lasting foundation that looks natural, and feels natural, with great coverage that's easy to spread too... however!!! The color selection here's quite pitiful... I went through the color matching consultation with the MAs 3 times!!! And finally decided there IS no color match for me in the range... what a bummer!!! Most of the colors are way too red/orangey... Sand is veryyy yellow... but was TOO yellow and a bit too light for me which really made me look like a walking mask!!! I now am back to my trusted Revlon Colorstay... and when comparing the two... found that Colorstay actually lasted LONGER without Double Wear's cracking up and breaking through after a few hours on my oily oily skin!!! So see ya to Double Wear!!! I'm back to my holy grail Colorstay with less than half the price tag too!!! How can you not love that?!? :D