MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

on 4/27/2008 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I love the studio fix. i have pretty good skin so it's jst what i need. it has a flawless matte finish. it looks really nice. i would deffinately buy it again!

Alright, so I don't use this product on a regular basis, because I find that it makes me look cakey and matte, not really glowy.

I suggest you apply with a kabuki brush because the sponge made me look like I was applying stage makeup I looked so pale! This is always a backup product for me, because it's not the one I go to first, but it doesn't fail me if I need it for one day. It also controls oil well!

on 4/23/2008 8:20:00 PM

This stuff seriously rocks. I was scared to death to try it after reading all these reviews! Do yourself a favor and use this with a brush - the sponge is nice and soft, but it will apply the powder unevenly.
----
This powder feels very light and silky, doesn't leave my face chalky, and offers excellent coverage. I can build sheer layers, and it gives me the most beautiful coverage without looking heavy. It's important to apply sheer, even layers and build up coverage instead of just one thick, heavy layer.
----
I apply this with my 169, although the 187 and any kabuki brush will work equally as well. I just love using my 169 brush. Do yourself a favor and get this :)

on 4/23/2008 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

In 1997, I was on Accutane (my skin was just borderline for it - my derm didn't want to put me on it but I begged him and he said OK - I am glad I did - b/c the results were amazing). Post Accutane my skin was flawless. I was so happy! My skin was soft and smooth and poreless looking. I didn't really need foundation - just a dusting of powder to balance me out and matte me. I started using MAC Studio FIX in 2000 when a bunch of my friends were raving about it. I loved it immediately. It was great going on, great to travel with (no loose powders to make a mess) and looked great on - flawless skin always. I just dusted it on w/my loose powder bruch and would use the sponge applicator it came with to touch up. Slowly but surely, I started to break out again. I thought it was just my acne coming back and that Accutane didn't work for me. I was averaging 1-2 cysts per month (I blamed my period/hormones) and was breaking out all the time - always filled w/blackheads, etc.... such a bummer but I thought this was just how my skin was and that was that. So for the past almost 8 years, I have been using this foundation, wishing for those early post Accutane days when my skin was perfect. Last fall (September 2007), I was in LA visiting friends and we went for facials at Ole Henrikson. I told the facialist (she was amazing!!!) about my skin and the first thing she asked me was, "What foundation are you using?" When I told her MAC, she told me it was the reason for all of my skin issues in the past almost 8 years! I was shocked and almost didn't want to believe her - she was also the one who introduced me to this website!!! When I came here and read all the review ons Studio Fix I was shocked! I loved Studio Fix! It was my HG, it was the only thing that covered my acne - but it was covering the acne it was causing! It took me from the time of the facial until the new year this past January to fully switch to Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation Powder (which I love but it's loose and can be messy). Needless to say, my skin is poreless, perfect, the blackheads have left, my skin looks like it did when I went off of the Accutane. Let it be known that I never go to bed w/o washing my face (even in my drunkest or most tired moments) and I have always done things like change my pillow case frequently and have always had obsessive skin care regimens. It was the Studio Fix that was breaking me out...

I will say this though - I have friends who never had any kind of acne and they still use SF and they love it. I am jealous! But I cannot go back there and use it again and break out again. I just don't suggest this for ANYONE who has acne prone skin at all - even the slightest bit prone to sensitivity.... BUT SF looks great when photographed and provides amazing coverage and even if your skin is not perfect, this will make it look perfect, but to those who are acne prone, please don't use.... I had almost 8 years of acne that I wouldn't have had if I had known...

I am giving this 3 lippies b/c it does provide great coverage and it does look great on... and the packaging and the price is great - especially when compared to things like Chanel and Armani.

on 4/23/2008 10:37:00 AM

I adore MAC. Yes, it is expensive but the products are well worth it. I have combination skin but it's pretty clear, I just get a little redness in my cheeks. This does a great job of giving coverage without looking like a mask. Just one swipe with the little puff it comes with is all you need. I'm also a little accident prone lol and I always drop products when I'm in a hurry and this has never broken (I'm not sure anyone else ever has that problem lol, but just incase) So all in all, I think this is fantastic.

on 4/22/2008 10:34:00 PM

When I first tried studio fix i loved the coverage and feel it gave my skin. I understood what all the hype was about. It was just as good as Lancome's Dual Finish but about 20.00 cheaper. However, my skin started to look absolutely terrible. I've always had clear skin, until i used this product!!! After I stopped using it my skin cleared up thank god.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I dont usually purchase MAC make up because I find it pricey and the girls working there always look like theyre wearing mountains of makeup. But i got a gift card for my birthday so I decided to try studio fix powder. They did a good job of matching my colour, and the coverage is excellent, I use a concealer underneath, and then this, and it looks great, in fake light that is. I find in natural light it looks dark, and makes my skin look dull. It also doesn't last more than a few hours for me, by the end of the day, its pretty much gone, and my nose area is all flaky and powdery looking. Another thing that bugged me, is it cost me $32, and it lasted 2 months, while most drugstore foundations last me at least 3-6 months. The coverage was really good, thats what kept me wearing it, but everything else is just a big bummer about this foundation.

on 4/20/2008 6:26:00 PM

I have a lot of redness in my cheeks and it does a wonderful job to cover it up. I really like this product, and i'm already on my second one.

on 4/20/2008 1:42:00 PM

Acne prone, Oily combination skin, with some scarring. I gave this a shot after seeing how different it made this lady's face look at a mac counter while she was having a makeover. It covers all my pores, takes away the grease on my nose, and covers my redness, broken caps and some of my scarring from my acne days. it does oxidises a litttle after a couple hours but that is normal with my skin and most foundations. a touch up mid day with this again or mac blot powder does the job. A cheap and great foundation.

on 4/20/2008 1:26:00 AM

I think it works differently for different skin tones. I'm 26 and have always had acne prone skin. I can't use the powder as a foundation, but its great as a powder, it blends very easily and isn't cakey or flaky. One thing I noticed too is that it doesn't rub off on everything like some do. Its a little pricey, but the one I have now I've used every day and got it in September, and it's barely showing the metal part.. Lasts forever. Best when blended with a brush, instead of the sponge.