April 23, 2014 | 1383 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 9:01:00 AM More reviews by Adriana265

My skin is normal-combo and I was looking for a primer that would keep my t zone oilies at bay in the hot weather. Long story short - this stuff is amazing! Best primer I've tried.

The price is seriously heartbreaking. 20 for 30ml...ridiculous. The packaging is nothing special, a small plastic tube. I have a feeling once I reach the end of this product, it'll be a bit hard to squeeze out. I'll have to cut it open or something.

The texture is like a white cream lotion but not too thick. I use 2 pea sizes for my face, but could surely use less than that. The SPF 50 is an amazing added bonus, but obviously, unless I use half the tube, I'm not going to get SPF 50 which is a shame. If this product was cheaper I would have no problem using more on my face but...it's not.

It doesn't leave a velvety silicone feeling on my skin like most primers, but it does leave it feeling pretty soft and smooth. The best part is - it keeps my oilies at bay all day! I've used it in scorching hot/humid weather and my face didn't get greasy at all. My makeup lasts all day with this on too...I've used it with TM's, liquid foundations, powder foundations...keeps all of them on.

No breakouts or irritation - and I have really sensitive breakout prone skin, so this must be a good thing.

Overall I really like this product, and I would repurchase, despite the expense.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2010 7:31:00 PM More reviews by itsjensayinghey

I prefer the MAC Prep + Prime with SPF 50 a lot more than the original formula. This was given to me because it had broken my mother out, and surprisingly, it hasn't done anything to me, even though I have sensitive acne-prone skin. This definitely smooths and mattifies my face for a nice foundation application. I do get slightly shiny around my T-Zone, but that is after twelve hours. When I wipe off my makeup, a lot of it is still on the wipe, proving that the makeup adheres better to my skin. I have been using this every day for about six months now, and I still have a decent amount of product left. However, it does get annoying because now the product randomly spurts out into the cap. I would not say this is HG material, but it is the best that I have used so far. The SPF is a nice bonus. =)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/1/2010 9:26:00 PM More reviews by azunino228

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, I know I've only used this for 2 days but already my skin feels itchy and I can feel the beginning of a big under-the-skin painful breakout. I'm really really sad because I sooo wanted to love this product. I have oily/sensitive skin and break out on my cheeks (this started a few months ago out of nowhere) and my forehead (little tiny pimples that come and go for the last 10 years) and I was just beginning to clear up again, so this is very saddening for me.

But even if I weren't having a bad reaction, it just doesn't do anything for my makeup and honestly I think I look worse by mid-day than without it - just looks both melted off and cakey... if that makes sense? GRR! Why couldn't this have been awesome for me?!?!

As for smell, it wasn't unpleasant. Felt thick going on but soaked in quickly and my skin felt baby soft at that point.

I'm just not sure any primers are good for my skin... boo!... so disappointing. Someday I'll find something that works for me with SPF... any recommendations let me know :o)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2010 2:10:00 AM More reviews by icepunkprincess

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this product a few months ago and there were a few sides to the product. First, it made my makeup last all day like nothing else. However, my skin was still oily, my foundation oranger and darker and my pores still large. I will attribute these to the fact that I was using liquid foundation on my oily skin. My routine now consistes of clinique pore minimizer, and a mix of rice powder with physcians formula powder. I am considering trying this product again, now that my oil and pores are under better control.

In summary, this wasn't an all-in-one product for me, but may be a very key component in a morning process.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2010 1:13:00 PM More reviews by cindyland

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After reading some of the reviews for this product, I had to write my own. I read alot of people with oily skin having problems with this product, but I have to wonder how excessively oily are these people's faces? I have oily skin and begin to see the oils in my face rise maybe between 45 minutes to an hour after applying makeup without a primer, so these peoples faces must create tons of oil if this product isn't working for them. My main concern, and the reason I rated this product a two, is that this product is extremely drying on my oily/sensitive skin. After only one application I am left the next day with stinging, dry skin and patches. It even creates flakey skin on my nose. For those of you who have oily skin, as I do, drying of the skin causes more oil to be produced by the face and causes breakouts. Not good. But I have to give this product due credit though, it keeps my make up in place all day. I apply this product on around 6 a.m. and my make up still looks fresh up until I wash it off, which is some time between 10 or 11 p.m., and I have very minimal oil produced by my skin. But since it is drying, I found that if I mix both the spf 50 primer and the regular prep and prime from mac, my make up is able to withstand time and none of the dryness. I'm not exactly why it works, but since I had a sample of each, and after trying out the spf 50 primer on it's own, I mixed both and it created one of the best defenses against oily, faded make-up.

To sum up my review: On it's own, spf 50 primer keeps your makeup looking fresh and long lasting, but dries the heck out of your face. Used in a combination with mac's prep and prime also keeps your face looking fresh and long lasting, but does not dry out the skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2010 6:16:00 AM More reviews by joannerowsell

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I didnt really notice how much of an effect this had on underneath my makeup until i didnt wear it...not wearing it, my foundation looked patchy and didnt seem polished like it does with this underneath...it makes my satin creamy foundations last long look polished, and help with the longevity of my foundation...i thought i could get away with not wearing it when i used my EL doublewear and without it my makeup looked patchy and didnt do the appreance of my large pores any good, when i wore it underneath my EL double wear the foundation looked smooth and flawless and lasted, it also stopped any oilyness coming out, when i didnt wear this i got shine quite quickly...overall very good and you dont realise how good it is until you dont wear it..

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2010 10:50:00 PM More reviews by icesiren

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like the idea of SPF 50 in my primer so I can skip a step/product so I'll give it the two lippies for that. Plus, it makes my skin look pretty good for a while with no white cast. However, this stuff makes me break out in the big, angry pimples within two days of using it. It feels like a heavy, greasy mask that gets even worse as the day goes on if you have oil like I do, so this product is a no go for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2010 9:38:00 AM More reviews by simera2371

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product is not worth all the hype. I still love my smash box photo finish. Mac prep & prime does not really do anything for me. It does not make my foundation stay on any longer.Would not buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2010 1:45:00 PM More reviews by IslandLover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have extremely oily skin. Within 1-2 hours of applying make-up, I have to break out the blotting sheets or the blot powder. I am always on the search for the next best primer - anything that will prevent oil from shining through. Since I am constantly trying new products, I tend to forget about the gems I already have in my stash. MAC's P&P SPF 50 is one of them! I wore it this past weekend for the first time in ages and omg I cannot believe how great my face looks. I put on my primer and my foundation at 7am and checked my reflection at 12:45p and I had practically no oil. My nose was a *tad* but shiny but it wasn't even worth blotting! I can't believe I forgot how amazing this product is. My face looked fresh & smooth & flawless. My foundation looked amazing all day and that is saying a LOT considering how oily my skin gets - I normally blot 4-5 times a day. The SPF 50 is an added bonus. I can't wait to rock this as the weather gets warmer. As some people have noted however, there is some ingredient in this formula which can irritate & cause break outs. I haven't experienced anything like that but be sure to check out the ingredients to see if you may be allergic to anything before trying it yourself. But if you have extremely oily skin like me and are always on the look-out for a good oil-controlling product, then look no further. If you can, get a sample from MAC & test it out before buying the full-size version. I don't even know why I bothered looking into other primers. This is the best one I've tried!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2010 6:24:00 AM More reviews by NikFish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't think i will ever find another primer i like as much as this ever!
pros: spf 50 (great news for my fair skin), lasts for ages, make-up goes on so much easier and looks alot better better than without it, helps with oil control in my t-zone (which is something of a small miracle!)
cons: the packaging becomes annoying when you are running out as its hard to get the remaining product out
I will certainly be repurchasing this.