MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ugh, geez.

So I purchased after seeing some youtubers saying how good this stuff works. Yeah, okay. Went to MAC, dropped $30 on this 1 oz., ILL-DESIGNED package.

Why is this package ill-designed? Two reasons. When you first try to dispense this product, your fingers require the pressure sensitivity of a lab scientist. Sometimes I got the right amount on the first try. Otherwise, it was either too little on first squeeze OR even worse, you shake it to get the product onto the bottom so when you squeeze it again, way too much comes out. And you don't need a lot. Secondly, the tube tricks into thinking you're out of primer when nothing comes out. In fact, it wastes a lot of product. When you go at it with some scissors, you'll see there's still plenty left inside. Like others have suggested, buy a small cosmetics container (the Sephora sample containers work really well) and just store this in that.

On the actual primer. When I put this on my skin, it didn't go on smooth. I was stretching my skin to try and get this spread evenly. Once it got on, I didn't like how my skin felt. It definitely felt like I had product on there, plastic-y, and ultimately undesirable.

Does it do what it says? I don't think so. I used this with three separate foundations: MUFE HD Foundation, Revlon ColorStay, and Rimmel Lasting Finish. With MUFE, it didn't make it stay put longer. With ColorStay, I didn't notice a difference with or without. With LF, it actually made the foundation cake after a few hours and look gross.

The only 2 things this crap has going for it is a high SPF and not balling up over moisturizer.

on 5/2/2010 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This product really keeps makeup in place the problem is that
I have sensitive skin and this product breaks me out. I wish I could find a primer that works for me

on 4/28/2010 10:10:00 AM

Review for MAC Prep+Prime Skin Brightening Serum. A serum formulated to instantly brighten, smooth, firm, and hydrate the skin while providing a plumper, more evenly toned finish to the complexion. Natural antioxidants help to strengthen the skin against UV-related damage, while M∙A∙C Charged Water ensures deep, long-lasting hydration. I love this product! and all it claims to do,...it does. My skin looks absolutely radiant. I use it before my moisturizer but you can definitely apply as a primer it helps to get foundation on flawlessly. Check me out on http://www.youtube.com/user/Finnezze

I have to admit that I was shocked at the price of this little tube, I thought I was going to return it for that sheer fact. BUT to my surprise this is the BEST primer I've used so far. This made my makeup last all day! My foundation did not run at all & also my blush. The ultimate test for me was a walk in the park on a really sunny day. Lemme tell you, I felt the hot sun on my face & for sure thought my makeup was gone cuz I can feel myself sweating. Omg it was still on! I loove this stuff & will continue to buy it. Perfect now cuz summer is coming up so this will be a lifesaverr. Well worth the money =)

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I started using this product 3 years ago when I went on a cruise and needed something with SPF. In the last 3 years, I've used it on-and-off and tried other primers (Bare Escentuals Prime Time). I honestly don't think there's a primer out there that works better and doesn't make me break out. It may be a little pricey but I feel like it's worth it if it doesn't make me break out AND has SPF. I also don't enjoy having to try to squeeze out the very last of the product out of the tube but I just put the cap on, hit the bottle on the counter downward, and that usually does the job.

on 4/19/2010 11:26:00 PM

At first I loved this product because I have SUPER oily skin and no primer seemed to control the shine but this primer does. HOWEVER, I noticed quite a few breakouts after using this. I generally have good skin. So I have a mixed feeling for this.

on 4/15/2010 7:24:00 PM

I purchased this after I ran out of the regular Prep + Prime because this one has SPF 50. I absolutely love it way more than the original! This really keeps my makeup in place all day! I am really impressed with this product. It's a bit expensive, but I would repurchase again because I love how it makes my makeup apply flawlessly and last all day.

on 4/12/2010 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

HG for me! This stuff is really the only thing that controls shine for 12 hrs a day for me. I put this on in the morning under my studio fix fluid and my studio fix powder and I swear my makeup won't be moving the rest of the day! I have tried so many primers and oil control lotions and this by far is my favorite. If I had to name one thing that I don't like about this it would be it isn't photo friendly:( But if you aren't going to be in any pictures then who cares! I love this primer!

on 4/12/2010 10:55:00 AM

I've been using Prep & Prime spf 50 for a couple of years now. It's my favorite primer. I do agree that the plastic tube is too hard to be able to squeeze all of the product out toward the end. And it's rather pricey, but I only use a tiny amount so a tube lasts a fairly long time (I don't use foundation every day anyway). It makes my foundation go on smoothly and flawlessly, and I use much less foundation over this primer than I would without it. It *is* slightly irritating to my sensitive'ish skin. It doesn't cause break outs, but it does irritate a bit, and I certainly try not to get any near my eyes (I use a separate primer for eyelids - Lancome's, which I think is terrific stuff). I keep repurchasing MAC's Prep & Prime because I haven't found one yet that I like better.

on 4/9/2010 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin is normal-combo and I was looking for a primer that would keep my t zone oilies at bay in the hot weather. Long story short - this stuff is amazing! Best primer I've tried.

The price is seriously heartbreaking. £20 for 30ml...ridiculous. The packaging is nothing special, a small plastic tube. I have a feeling once I reach the end of this product, it'll be a bit hard to squeeze out. I'll have to cut it open or something.

The texture is like a white cream lotion but not too thick. I use 2 pea sizes for my face, but could surely use less than that. The SPF 50 is an amazing added bonus, but obviously, unless I use half the tube, I'm not going to get SPF 50 which is a shame. If this product was cheaper I would have no problem using more on my face but...it's not.

It doesn't leave a velvety silicone feeling on my skin like most primers, but it does leave it feeling pretty soft and smooth. The best part is - it keeps my oilies at bay all day! I've used it in scorching hot/humid weather and my face didn't get greasy at all. My makeup lasts all day with this on too...I've used it with TM's, liquid foundations, powder foundations...keeps all of them on.

No breakouts or irritation - and I have really sensitive breakout prone skin, so this must be a good thing.

Overall I really like this product, and I would repurchase, despite the expense.

Popular Primer/ Correctors