October 25, 2014 | 1835 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Matte Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2008 4:06:00 AM More reviews by mandyg_81

This product made my skin break out horribly, and dried out my cheeks to the point where my skin started to peel and itch! I have normal if slightly oily skin and have not have problems with acne for years.

Coverage is also not that good, by the end of the day my forehead looked very shiny and overall the effect was quite dull.

Only good point is the fact that you can trial the makeup for free (exc. freight charges), so the little pots can be recycled I suppose.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2008 5:01:00 PM More reviews by queenelizabeth1685

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I got the Sample kit form the side and chose the darkest shade for my NC40 complexion. I will not be writing a long review but I will just tell you that none of the colors that they recommend for olive skin match me. Also I do not know if it is just me but I found them quite difficult to blend too. So one advice to all my lovely latinas out there, do not get this product, save the shipping fees for something else, it is not worth it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2008 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Katie5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It pains me to write a negative review for this, because I am pleased that it's worked for so many people, but I have my reservations about this foundation. Sorry this review is so long - I thought it might help to put little sub-headings so people could skip to the bits they're curious about...

SHADES: Well, it is so generous of EM to give free samples. It is also entirely necessary, because they have such a wide array of shades (which is a great thing, but the way they look on the site isn't the best representation of them in reality). I'm really fair but I use fake tan, and I have tried Fairly Light Neutral, Sunkissed Fair, Sandy Fair and Fair Medium. In a way, all of them were pretty close, but for some reason they felt too heavy. One thing I've found is that even the colour they look in the pot isn't that true to how they look on the skin. I thought sunkissed fair was the closest match, but it looked too dark and a bit mask-like. So again, the sample kit is a brilliant idea - the vast array of shades is a good thing, but also a bit confusing, so definitely make sure to try the free samples before getting a full-sized pot.

FINISH: On the plus side, this covered most of my acne-scars pretty well.Overall, though, I must say that I found the finish a bit too heavy. I have acne-prone skin and an oily t-zone, and I always wear liquid foundation and powder, so I am used to the feel of make-up on my skin, but this still felt like too much. It gave a finish which was quite obvious when I looked in the mirror, and it didn't keep my skin matte for very long. I had to blot quite a few times over the course of a day when I was using this. It didn't feel sticky so much as slightly greasy. The heavy feeling might be because it was difficult to apply sparingly (I'll explain why in a moment). I thought I would be the ideal candidate for the matte formula, but I would urge anyone considering these foundations to try a couple of finishes as well as a couple of shades, because this didn't feel right for me, even though I like full coverage.

APPLICATION: This was pretty easy to blend, especially with EM's long handled kabuki. It was slightly difficult to blend away any gaps or tidemarks, but I'm sure this would be improved with practice, and I don't really have any complaints application-wise. The main problem was with the packaging and how this hindered application, which I will cover below.

PACKAGING: This foundation comes in a clear plastic pot with a small sifter and a plastic lid. I have the sample sized pots and also the 2.5g one. Both are infuriating! The sifter is so fine that there is no way of getting enough powder on the brush without removing the sifter and tipping it into the lid. BUT the lids are way too small, so the powder goes everywhere when you're trying to dip the brush into it. This makes it impossible to get an even amount on the brush, and you end up with all the powder concentrated on a small area of the brush head, which makes for uneven application. I think I ended up over-applying because of this. If I had liked this foundation, I would definitely consider transferring it to a larger pot, which would allow the swirl and tap motion that you need to apply it properly.

VERDICT: If you can find a good colour match, this might be good for those who like a very matte finish or have oily skin all over (not just t-zone). I certainly wouldn't assume that the matte formula is best just because you are acne-prone / combination - definitely try more than one finish. I have given this three lippies because it didn't irritate me in any way, and actually gave pretty good coverage. I was disappointed with the finish, but only because I felt that I fitted the profile for the matte formula and it didn't deliver. People with different skin types or requirements in a foundation might well disagree with me, and I don't want to drag the average down too much because of personal preference! I wouldn't repurchase, but considering you can get this for free (apart from postage and packing), it is definitely worth a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2008 7:16:00 PM More reviews by dee000

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got a full size of this after finally finding the right color through three sample make ups kits. I got the cool Medium Summer and it matches my skin tone perfectly. It took me a while to find the perfect combination of products and brushes to get my make up just right, but now this foundation is HG for me. I use Fyrinnae or Meow Cosmetics rice powder primer, EDM concealer, EDM Matte foundation & blush, Fyrinnae Mineral Oil Control Powder, and finally Ben Nye Final Seal. I know it sounds like a lot, but it actually goes very quickly once you get the hang of it. With all these, I can usually go a full day of work without having to blot the oil off my forehead and nose! I get so many complements on my make up on how natural it looks. I also get complements on my skin, which if people saw it without make up they would think the opposite!! This foundation provides very good coverage without looking cakey if you use the right brush. I ordered an EDM long handled kabuki brush with my first sample kit but it was on back order so I used my Mary Kay powder brush until it came and oh boy, after putting on this powder foundation it just looked like I had layers and layers of powder sitting on my face. But the kabuki blends this in beautifully. I love that this is all natural with so few ingredients. Lately I am very acne prone and this doesn't break me out at all. I highly recommend this brand of make up.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2008 4:41:00 PM More reviews by o0hottamolly0o

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I kinda liked this.. i liked the color but it wasn't what i was expecting. I was really looking for a sheer matte powder foundation, so i got this in fairly lite. But it really wasn't matte, i would've called it semi matte, it had a fair amount of shimmer in it.

ps the only reason i put a 2 for the packaging thing is caus i got the free samples thing and it was so small it didn't go on my brush evenly and was kinda hard to blend out so it was even.. but im guessing if the thing was bigger it would have been fine =]

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2008 7:15:00 AM More reviews by ozlem

With sample kit i got 3 different shades of foundation, 1 concealer and 1 blush for free ! I only paid the shipping price. The price and packaging is great. Actually first i like the brand, but then it caused me to break out so badly. It caused cyctic acne and my dermatologist told me not to use mineral makeup, it can irritate some sensitive/oily skins and may cause acne. So i can say that it's not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2008 6:37:00 PM More reviews by mricha14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

UPDATE 4/12/08

Ok, after using EM for several months, I decided to try another MUA’s advice. I have tried using the foundation wet. *gasp!* I tap out a tiny bit into the lid, spritz with a little water and buff on with my Flat Top buki from EM. WOW! It’s even better than dry! Couple words of advice though, kids, it’ll go on much heavier so you might want to experiment first before you walk out in public. Ha ha I finish by buffing with (dry fyi) finishing dust or silk dust with my Long Handled buki and oh mah gawd, Becky. I’ve never had skin that EVER looked this flawless. The dry mineral foundation lasts all day, but wet…it’ll still look great for the after work par-tay!.

If you’re interested, I have posted a picture that you can check out by clicking on “CONTINUED” at the bottom of my review. The before is no make up at all and after is the EM with a wet application. Good luck ya’ll!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Please see my pictures for a full-size before and after makeover of Everyday Minerals)

I have just recently switched to EM after cautiously reading and comparing EM to BE on this website. I have very oily skin, usually have to wipe off oil 1/2 way throughout my work day and again when I get home...which means I'm easily acceptable to acne.

I tried several rounds of the samples. It took a few times to figure out the best color on me and how to apply it. Here are my tips:

1) I still felt like I had to wipe oil off 1/2 through the day until I purchased the FINISHING DUST. This made a huge difference in cutting down the greasiness. (Just make sure you moisturize well, I imagine on dry skin it would make it really dry!)

2) A GOOD BRUSH MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I bought a cheap $5 brush at Ulta to try the samples and I finally ordered the flat-top Kabuki brush from EM's website. You will not find a cheaper, more awesome brush out there. This puts it on so flawless, I look airbrushed afterwards! I have NEVER experienced any make up like it before.

3) A little bit goes a long, long way! You can always apply more, so start out using a dab. The first time I tried the foundation on (I chose the wrong color which didn't help) I looked like the Hulk. My face looked like clay-mation. lol

4) I felt like the intense foundation was a bit too intense :)... so I just stick to matte shades and the Finishing Dust.

5) Don't be afraid to mix colors. I found out by trying several rounds of samples that my best foundation color is about 1/2 and 1/2 of Sandy Medium & Medium Summer. I love the mixing jar!

That's all I can think of right now...:).

I have to start by saying that I am usually a harsh critic but I can't say enough good things about EM. I have been fighting acne for as long as I can remember. For years I have been using Tinted Oxy as my foundation and Maybeline Shine Free pressed powder. I've been using EM for over a month now and I swear I think this stuff is making my face clear up...even when I forget to wash my face before I go to bed!

I'm such a dork now, I just love to put on my make up. I look forward to it every morning. I recommend taking my hints/advice and trying this today if you have skin similar to mine. I'm almost sad that they didn't offer this when I was in high school. I would've loved to have flawless skin back then.

continued >>

45 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2008 7:05:00 PM More reviews by met451

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well I too ordered the free samples, which are a steal since you only have to pay for shipping (why don't more makeup companies do this?!). I have very combination skin which usually borders on oily, getting matte was a no-brainer for me.
'Fair' ended up being the perfect match for me, and it really does make my skin look flawless, but not overly done with makeup. I don't find that this oxidizes at all (a problem I've had in the past), and when my oil does break through I don't find this settling into any creases. My biggest gripe is with the containers this comes in; granted I only have the samples, but even with them the tops have a hard time staying on. Overall, very pleased with this make up, especially since the full product costs less than the Neutrogena mineral makeup I was using, for more product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by jenaht

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been testing the Everyday Minerals Foundations for 2 months now. I tried them out since my face started to react to Bare Minerals. I am actually SO HAPPY now that my face acted up so that I tried something else. SERIOUSLY.

This product is absolutely wonderful. The foundation is so finely milled it actually makes Bare Minerals seem very grainy to me. There are MORE color choices with the Everyday Minerals. Way more yellow-toned and true cools. (Bare Minerals is very orange-ish) 4 Different formulas so people can really find the right mix and formula they like. The price is ridiculously affordable. They let you get free samples. Shall I go on?

Well yes because this is a review. I prefer the Matte formula since I have combo skin that requires oil-control. I actually have a lovely mix of formulas with 2 parts Matte and 1 part Intensive. I do this to get a little longer lasting coverage and to help hide my visible pores even more. However, the Matte on it's own does a lovely job. It has a very creamy sort of matte look to it. And it totally does help with oil-control. I just wanted something a tad heavier - without being as heavy as the Intensive is by itself. One of the things I also notice about this foundation is that it doesn't settle into my fine lines as much as the Bare Minerals did. Again - you need to find your formula match and shade match to make this as optimal as possible. But this stuff just buffs into the skin like BUTTAH! I do use a combination of brushes: The Everyday Minerals Flat Top (the BEST brush out there!) and the smaller Philosophy Supernatural Airbrush for my TZone area (LOVE IT).

My skin hasn't look this good in YEARS. It is hands above Bare Minerals in so many ways. No sheen. My pores are hidden better. My skin looks and feels smoother. I have found a truly perfect shade match in Fawn. It's so silky smooth during application - you have to try it to believe it!!

I have turned SEVERAL people on to Everyday Minerals - have I convinced you?

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2008 4:50:00 PM More reviews by Mipmip

Wonderful foundation, melts into skin perfectly and looks so natural that I forget I wear makeup. It has a good staying powder, even though a little glow can show up. If so I use my vincent longo powder, and it's all perfect again!