Clinique Lash Power Mascara

3.9

water - acrylates copolymer - kaolin - silica - beeswax - butylene glycol - peg-15 glycerl stearate - carnauba wax - alcohol denat. - hydrogenated rapeseed oil - polyvinyl alcohol - bentonite - tocopherol - jojoba seed oil - dimethicone - simethicone - stearic acid - sucrose distearate - aminomethyl propanediol - aminoethyl propanediol - sodium citrate - disodium edta - phenoxyethanol - methylparaben - ethylparaben - propylparaben - butylparaben - [ /- mica - iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) - titanium dioxide (ci 77891) - ultramarines (ci 77007) - blue lake 1 (ci 42090) - bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163) - carmine (ci 75470) - chromium hydroxide green (ci 77289) - chromium oxide greens (ci 77288) - yellow 5 lake (ci 19140) - manganese violet (ci 77742).

This product totally disappointed me. I bought it because in my country Clinique still doesn't sell the High Impact Curling one, which would be my HG. I bought Lash Power because of the "tubing" technology (and thermoactiv property to remove it) but that's one of the few advantages of this mascara. It gives no extraordinary lenght, absolutely no volume and definitely doesn't respect a curl (I have straight and very thin eyelashes). If you apply too much you will only get a clumpy mess. I liked the small brush but overall, but this mascara is just not for me. I would recommend it though for people with curled, longer and thicker eyelashes seeking for a very natural result, clear definition and water resistance (not waterproofness). I would do buy the "Lash Power Curling" one, which I think is the asian version of my HG High Impact Curling mascara by Clinique.

Well, in the essentials I suppose you could call this a good mascara. Certainly there are good elements about it, but they were all overridden by the end of the day...

Price and packaging:

This is 14.50 as of January 2010. I consider that to be quite a lot for a mascara, certainly it's at the upper end of my price range. For me to pay over 10 it has to be really good! The packaging is nice, it comes in a little cardboard box with swirly designs on it, very feminine without being girly. The tube is a silvery-grey with the brand name and the mascara name written on it. It is very sleek and 'professional' looking.

Brush:

Always one of the most important things about a mascara,the brush is certainly one of the best things about this mascara. It is tiny, really thin. I think this great, it really helps me to get all the lashes, top and bottom, even the little tiny ones in the corner. But if you like big brushes (though I can't fathom why anyone would like them!) then this probably isn't for you.

How to use and my opinion:

I'd use this just as a normal mascara really, it's not anything that needs special application.

This mascara will stay on. I never did, but you could probably sleep in it if you wanted. So that's great. But, although Clinique say "Will come off with warm water" (this won't come off with makeup remover) what they really mean is "will come off with hot water" The warm water coming out of your bathroom tap won't budge this. But shower/bath temperature water will. (This also means swimming pool water will remove it as well.) So if you're someone who showers every day in the evenings (which I don't) this will work for you. If you don't, I'd steer away from this!

This product was okay for my first mascara, but the second apply made it clumpy. It also flakes during the day and doesn't do much to separate the lashes. One apply of it is okay the the second is horrible.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I got this as a sample in black onyx..right away I loved it!Goes on really nice, seperates lashes and I only needed one coat. It didn't smear all day and didn't irratiate my eyes. If I were to purchase this I would probably get it in dark chocolate as I light a more natural look. I only gave it 4 lippies becuz of the price.

I was surprised - received as a GWP, and I'm really not a Clinique mascara fan. This is a great product - definitely does not smudge, which I have a major problem with, and stays looking great even after a few tears. I prefer somewhat dramatic mascara - thick & long, but in one application. I don't have time to put on multiple coats, and this did a decent job in just two quick passes. This is not my HG, but I would definitely purchase again.

I've used this for a few days now and I think I might change my mind about the HG status - I'm really liking this mascara, especially since it's like half the price of Dior's Iconic.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I never knew what people meant when they said a mascara was flaky. Now I know. I put this on around 9:30am. Around 10:30am I found the first 2 flakes on my cheek. I've been wearing this mascara for about 2 weeks now and every single day I get flakes. It's awful. In all my 24 years of wearing mascara I have never had a mascara like this. My lashes are dark and separated and longer than usual. My eyes don't itch and my lashes aren't crunchy. So, sounds good, right? Too bad I have little black flecks on my cheekbones all day!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my favorite mascara! Will not come off even in the pool or after a crying fit!! Very buildable and good volume and length! This is a "tube" mascara which I don't mind at all. It is really easy to remove if you wet your lashes and let soak while you wash the rest of your face then rinse and they will slide right off. I have tried just about every mascara ever made and I always come back to this.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

What this product here claims to do (apart from the usual lengthening/thickening) is stay put for hours without flaking or smudging. More important, it claims to be tear - proof while at the same time it is only supposed to be removed using warm water. Quite an oxymoron, huh? To be honest, I wouldn't be bothered to see if this really works for the price, but I got it as a present so eventually I came around to it.
Based on how it performs, this is actually a good product. It lengthens decently, thickens decently and gives a nice, deep black color. Furthermore the brush is admittedly adorable and quite effective. It's little with very short spikes, which means you can place it very very close to your lashline and apply it on the base of your lashes. Now that is a big deal, as applying mascara liberally on the roots of your lashes does wonders for volume and magnifying/opening up the eye; seriously, it's pretty much the key for the doe-eyed look (Bourjois Effet Liner works based on that principle; that's where I get this little trick from). Actually, this can even effectively replace tightlining. It's very hard to achieve with the usual large mascara brushes, and well, this is where this little darling comes in. You can work on the roots of your lashes without poking your eye or making a mess.
Also this mascara does stay put, or at least so it has so far; I haven't cried with it on or anything that extreme, but it seems reliable, and with a hot Summer ahead this would be useful. The tube is chic and conveniently small.
Now on to the one big, BIG con: removal. I don't even know where to start with this. I mean, what is it with cosmetic companies nowadays? What do you mean comes off (only) with warm water and why am I supposed to be happy with this? Because I'll supposedly save on MU remover? That's so laughable; you WILL use MU remover anyway for the rest of your eye makeup (eyeshadow,liner,concealer and so on...nine times out of ten it's not just mascara). In reality, this mascara is a pain in the behind to remove, and I mean it. Indeed it is immune to MU remover, BUT unfortunately won't give in without a battle to warm water either. What happens is, it won't just dissolve and start melting away when you splash the water onto your eyes; you have to rub and rub because it is supposed to crack into little flakes and then off your face. It's as nasty as it sounds; it practically becomes black dandruff which you have to rub off your lashes to make it migrate on your skin; then it will stick there and you will eventually have to use MU remover to finally get rid of it. Needless to say, the process is not completely painless, as it tends to get into your eyes and take one or two lashes with it as it goes. I am so annoyed and put off by this; it's so unfair to the performance of the product which is actually good. I'd use this much more otherwise; now I have to think twice before using, and debate whether I'll want to be bothered with the epic "removal battle" afterwards. Such a shame.
All in all, I'm really tempted to give this product two lippies, but I won't, based on the fact that in the end of the day it gives a nice plus lasting result. However, no, I would not buy again, and I'm so glad didn't have to pay for it. Because with so many mascaras out there, many of which give comparable results for a fragment of the price, no I do not see any reason to buy a higher priced product which is such a struggle to remove.

Ive been looking everywhere for a mascara which doesn't end up under my eyes for years. finally, ive found my answer. I've run through rain and played sport with it on but it didnt budge. i can put it on at 7 in the morning and at 11pm it'll still be there.
i love how the brush is really small too, which helps to get the tiny lashes near the inner corner of your eyes, and your lower lashes. the small brush means that there is little to no clumping at all :)
its a bit pricey, i got it for $36 here in australia, but it's so worth it. besides, its better to spend a lot on one mascara then alot more on cheaper mascaras trying to find that "perfect one". :)

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a tubing mascara with a very small brush. I've been using it since it came out for my lower lashes only. It's fabulous...lengthens my already long lashes but best of all it DOES not smudge at all. No raccoon eyes ever. T

Sadly the brush does not capture my long but straight and wispy upper lashes at all. I can't get it to coat so I use a different tubing mascara for that purpose.

I have never had any trouble removing any tubing mascara (including Blinc, Prestige Lash Matrix and L'Oreal Beauty Tubes, etc.). It's purely a matter of washing it off with the right temperature (warm) water and applying gentle pressure. It comes off so cleanly that I can't imagine anyone have trouble with this. It's one of the real benefits of tubing mascara....it comes off easily when you want it to.

Popular Mascaras