September 2, 2014 | 954 users online

Liquid - Almay - Clear Complexion Blemish Healing Makeup

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2011 12:54:00 PM More reviews by maia74

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been looking for a decent everyday foundation for a while now. I have massively oily skin and most foundations make me even oilier, sometimes in less than 20 minutes. I'm also blessed with skin that tends to look blotchy and sallow after a long day covered in thick layers of makeup. For some reason, I took a chance with this even though I have absolutely no experience with Almay foundations, let alone any of their products. It's a fantastic (inexpensive) product.
I'm in between an NC20-25 in the dead of winter. I picked up the color Neutral 220, a decent match, though it's slightly pink/orange for my very yellow toned skin. The coverage is a solid medium, it's buildable, and has a soft matte finish. I like to think I have nice skin, but will get the occasional pimple and do have moderate hyperpigmentation around my mouth. With this foundation on, I can go without concealer on lazy days (though it's not my preference). It's also one of the few foundations I've tried that doesn't make me oiler, though I should add it doesn't drastically stop oil either. What I really dig about it though is its staying power and how it maintains my relatively clear complexion.
It has salicylic acid in it, which is awesome. I have the kind of skin that needs constant upkeep, whether it's with benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or BHA/AHA lotions. If I don't take care of it, I'll break out, produce more oil, and start looking blotchy and gross. Thanks to the salicylic acid in this, when I take it off at the end of the day my skin looks just as good as it looked that morning. I've also put it through the nightclub test and it passed with flying colors. When I looked at myself at 3 o'clock in the morning, my lipstick was nearly gone, my eyeliner smudged, but besides some sweat and oil, my skin looked really good.
All that being said, there are still two major negatives to this product. The salicylic acid (yes, it has it's negatives) and the god damn bottle. Even though I'm very oily, I have dry patches, especially around my mouth. Even though the salicylic acid is great on most days, sometimes it DOES make flakes noticeable and or creates them. A couple of times, I've looked at myself in a handheld mirror outdoors and had to pick off some noticeable flakes. So if you have dry skin, I would skip this foundation altogether. Second, that bottle! It's a terrible, heavy glass bottle with no pump and a horrific screw top. The mouth of the bottle is round and the top is square...what does this mean? There are crevices around all 4 edges of the cap that drips of foundation collect and dribble out of if you get ANY of it around the mouth of the opening when pouring. More than once, I've found my makeup bag covered in foundation because it leaks majorly. It's REALLY frustrating...something I hope they'd fix in the future.
In any case, this is a wonderful foundation. I'm sure I'll be purchasing something different next because I'm a foundation whore like that (and on that perpetual search for the HG), but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this again if I just needed something quickly. It's really really really great.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2011 7:39:00 PM More reviews by sarah2202

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have purchased this 5 times so I can't believe it took me until today to review this. I really like this product and it does not break me out. I find the coverage to be light to medium. I used to wear this under my mineral foundation for heavy coverage, but I am no longer concerned about looking "perfect".

Buff seems to be a very popular shade around here. It's the perfect shade for my skin as well. I am very fair with lots of redness to conceal. This foundation looks very natural.

My only criticisms would be:
-Like others have said, I wish it came in a pump bottle instead. I pour the foundation out onto a tissue, then use a sponge to apply. I find this is the best sanitary method, but it is a bit wasteful. I don't really mind though, because this foundation is relatively cheap ($14 CDN/bottle).
-It slides. When you wear sunglasses, they tend to smudge the foundation so you will probably have weird lines on your cheeks where your makeup was.

Apr 18 2011- I strayed from this for a couple of years in favour of Everyday Minerals, but lately EDM has been looking really cakey on my face and not providing much coverage. I'm not sure why. So I whipped this out and applied it with a flat top brush for the first time. Wow! It took less time to apply than MMU (one reason why I used to prefer MMU is that it is really fast), plus the coverage was far superior! I used to apply with my fingers but from now on I will be using my flat top from MUAC. Maybe it's a bit overdramatic to say, but finding out that liquid foundation can look so fantastic when applied with a flat top changed my life. I never thought I would go back to liquid, but I will definitely continue to use this type of foundation. After I try Alima and Make Up Forever's face and body foundation, I will probably end up coming back to my trusty Almay.
I find it looks best when applied over a slightly "greasy" moisturizer, definitely not a matte moisturizer. My favourite is Dormer 211, which the makeup adheres very well to.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2011 1:29:00 PM More reviews by jumpsnoopy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I should start by saying I'm not a huge fan of foundation -- only use it for nights out and stick to a tinted moisturizer for daily use. That said, I really like this one for the times that I do need a foundation. The coverage is great and the color match is great for my NC20-25 skin (I got this one in Naked.) Doesn't make me break out, which is a HUGE plus for my skin... I break out from 95% of the things I've ever put on it. What I use it for mostly is as a concealer. I have some old acne scarring on my cheeks, and I've found that if I dab it on the spots with a concealer brush and then buff in with a kabuki, it gives an airbrushed finish and great coverage! When used as a full-face foundation, it also controls oiliness very well -- better than any other product I've ever tried. That said, it can look cakey if you apply too much, but I don't think you can ever really avoid that with a foundation, and this is one of the best I've tried.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2011 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Leesa123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My search for foundation that actually stays on has a current winner! Very happy with this product. Wanted to try their Truly Lasting Color foundation, but color match was not good. This clear complexion foundation stays on all day and with my oily skin, that has never happened before. There is only 0.5% salicylic acid, so it isn't likely to irritate. Have used it a week now and so far it is great. I don't have running foundation after 4 hours and it doesn't exaggerate fine lines. Definitely recommend it for anyone with combo or oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2011 9:15:00 PM More reviews by ahammer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the only foundation I've ever used that does help prevent breakouts. When I try to switch to another foundation, I start to get bumps on my forehead and blemishes on my cheeks and chin. When I switch back to almay clear, it significantly improves! The coverage is fair, but it does wear off on hot days. The packaging is fine, I just put a sponge over the top, tip it over then back, and use whatever landed on the sponge. A pump or tiny hole would be nice, but it's not necessary. I will definitely buy this again because of my acne-prone skin!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2011 1:28:00 PM More reviews by Dancer13

I like this foundation because it doesn't make me break out. But it doesn't cover amazingly, especially not scars. It also can make your skin look flaky even directly after applying moisturizer. It works so much better if you mix it with your moisturizer though!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2011 10:05:00 AM More reviews by Chellemakepeace

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. I am normally a bare essentials girl, but wanted some fuller coverage and o try something new. Beautiful finish, stays on all day, I always set with powder though.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2011 11:58:00 PM More reviews by divadevan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

GIRLS. (acne-prone) GIRLS.
Stop, stop, stop buying and trying all different kinds of make-up to cover up your acne.

I am now 20 years old, and have had the most sensitive and oily, breakout-prone skin since I was 13. I can tell you that the majority of products, even the powders, liquids and cremes that claim they "won't cause breakouts," will.

My dermatologist years ago recommended to me this version of Almay's foundation, and I have never turned back!! This is the only foundation I've ever found that has never been the source of my break outs. Each morning, after using this make-up, I have a more even looking skin tone, which really helps with my confidence.

Here are some tips for this make-up:
-The best in-store price I've found for this make-up is always at Bed Bath and Beyond! My local drug stores are always more expensive than good ol' BBAB.
- Always apply with a make-up sponge. Using your fingertips to blend is only spreading bacteria and oil from your hands.
- Almay's liquid make-ups all come in the same type of bottle, so don't grab the wrong type! Make sure it says "Clear Complexion Blemish Healing," rather than something else.
- Enjoy your new make-up!!

I'm so glad to spread the word on this make-up. Enjoy girls!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Crystalx3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this in Sand for $10-12 at Walmart (too expensive for what it's worth).

PROS:
- Lasts for a long time
- Full coverage that generally covers blemishes

CONS:
- No pump, liquid pours too fast out of bottle (I usually end up with more than I use)
- Cakey (my mom has commented on how cakey it is and I even use a brush that's supposed to give an airbrushed effect)
- Expensive
- Melts off when sweating (I wore sunglasses and you could see my skin where the sunglasses sat because it melted off during a hot day)

I've been using this foundation since I haven't looked into any other options but it's not the greatest drugstore foundation you could find.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2011 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

Overall, a good, solid drugstore brand that's great for the oily (and of course, acne-prone) girls to wear every day. It has low coverage but you can build it up nicely using a sponge or a brush. I would call the finish simply 'natural' because it's neither matte nor dewy, and looks pretty much like your own skin. That being said, if you want something that looks more airbrushed or has more coverage, this is NOT the foundation to use.

I like the simplicity of this foundation and that it's good for your skin. It evens out my skin tone, hides my years-old acne scars decently well, and feels very soft and light, like you're not wearing anything. I did get a a single dry patch on my cheek one day about 12 hrs after I applied it, but for the most part, I didn't notice this foundation fading noticeably throughout the day or drying out my skin. As for oil control, it's not a miracle BUT it does control the oil on my skin surprisingly well. I looked SLIGHTLY dewy by the end of the day, but it wasn't enough to make me blot (which is great because I normally blot 1-2 times a day when I become unbearably shiny).

Overall, if you don't wear a lot of foundation (like me), have oily or normal skin but would like to even out your complexion, this is a good choice. That being said, I will probably use up my bottle and then move on to try something else, just out of sheer curiosity.