November 25, 2014 | 1823 users online

Liquid - Almay - Clear Complexion Blemish Healing Makeup

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2011 7:50:00 AM More reviews by em1992

great foundation good medium coverage .
the only down side is i made the mistake of buying it without properly trying it on . I bought the darkest shade thinking it would be suitable only to apply it to be way to light for me .. i have worn it out during a night ou ( bronzer over the top ) and after removing it found my pores wernt as block as they usualy are ..

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2011 11:34:00 AM More reviews by jexxica269

I have been using this product for years. I love it. It matches perfectly (Buff). I am kind of pale with yellow undertones and this foundation never looks pink. I apply it with my fingers, which works well, then I set it with any powder. It stays on but can be a little drying for combination skin. And it can be a little expesive (I've seen it for close to $13).

Overall, I love the foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by ep27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

PROS:
*Feels light & breathable (compared to Revlon Colorstay)
*Buildable coverage
*Easy to wash off with cleanser then witch hazel

CONS:
*Concerned about putting salicylic acid around my eyes
*Inadequate coverage (for me)
*Too drying
*Accentuates peelies/flakies from healing pimples

This may work better for those with really oily skin but don't count on heavy coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2011 4:52:00 PM More reviews by ruth1999

This is the perfect foundation for me! I have tried many others including more expensive brands but keep coming back to this. It never makes me break out, and it leaves the most natural looking matte finish, while still giving really decent coverage. I use the buff, I am very fair but found the ivory had too pink of an undertone. My only complaint is the packaging - the square glass bottle makes it impossible to get all the product out, and the lid is difficult to tighten back on all the way.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2011 10:12:00 PM More reviews by lagenia

This foundation is about the only one I can use that does not cause breakouts. No blemishes, breakouts or pimples on my forehead, cheeks or chin. The negatives are that it doesn't cover the best, especially scaring. It definitely not a top end foundation and it's hard to get it to look smooth or use with a moisturizer. It really doesn't do much to clear acne, but I'm happy doesn't make it worse. If I could find another foundation that was nice to sensitive skin I would try it, but I haven't found one yet. What is surprising is that it doesn't dry the skin even though it has salicylic acid. Other reviewers have compared the texture to Revlon Colorstay and I would have to agree.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2011 12:54:00 PM More reviews by maia74

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been looking for a decent everyday foundation for a while now. I have massively oily skin and most foundations make me even oilier, sometimes in less than 20 minutes. I'm also blessed with skin that tends to look blotchy and sallow after a long day covered in thick layers of makeup. For some reason, I took a chance with this even though I have absolutely no experience with Almay foundations, let alone any of their products. It's a fantastic (inexpensive) product.
I'm in between an NC20-25 in the dead of winter. I picked up the color Neutral 220, a decent match, though it's slightly pink/orange for my very yellow toned skin. The coverage is a solid medium, it's buildable, and has a soft matte finish. I like to think I have nice skin, but will get the occasional pimple and do have moderate hyperpigmentation around my mouth. With this foundation on, I can go without concealer on lazy days (though it's not my preference). It's also one of the few foundations I've tried that doesn't make me oiler, though I should add it doesn't drastically stop oil either. What I really dig about it though is its staying power and how it maintains my relatively clear complexion.
It has salicylic acid in it, which is awesome. I have the kind of skin that needs constant upkeep, whether it's with benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or BHA/AHA lotions. If I don't take care of it, I'll break out, produce more oil, and start looking blotchy and gross. Thanks to the salicylic acid in this, when I take it off at the end of the day my skin looks just as good as it looked that morning. I've also put it through the nightclub test and it passed with flying colors. When I looked at myself at 3 o'clock in the morning, my lipstick was nearly gone, my eyeliner smudged, but besides some sweat and oil, my skin looked really good.
All that being said, there are still two major negatives to this product. The salicylic acid (yes, it has it's negatives) and the god damn bottle. Even though I'm very oily, I have dry patches, especially around my mouth. Even though the salicylic acid is great on most days, sometimes it DOES make flakes noticeable and or creates them. A couple of times, I've looked at myself in a handheld mirror outdoors and had to pick off some noticeable flakes. So if you have dry skin, I would skip this foundation altogether. Second, that bottle! It's a terrible, heavy glass bottle with no pump and a horrific screw top. The mouth of the bottle is round and the top is square...what does this mean? There are crevices around all 4 edges of the cap that drips of foundation collect and dribble out of if you get ANY of it around the mouth of the opening when pouring. More than once, I've found my makeup bag covered in foundation because it leaks majorly. It's REALLY frustrating...something I hope they'd fix in the future.
In any case, this is a wonderful foundation. I'm sure I'll be purchasing something different next because I'm a foundation whore like that (and on that perpetual search for the HG), but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this again if I just needed something quickly. It's really really really great.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2011 7:39:00 PM More reviews by sarah2202

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have purchased this 5 times so I can't believe it took me until today to review this. I really like this product and it does not break me out. I find the coverage to be light to medium. I used to wear this under my mineral foundation for heavy coverage, but I am no longer concerned about looking "perfect".

Buff seems to be a very popular shade around here. It's the perfect shade for my skin as well. I am very fair with lots of redness to conceal. This foundation looks very natural.

My only criticisms would be:
-Like others have said, I wish it came in a pump bottle instead. I pour the foundation out onto a tissue, then use a sponge to apply. I find this is the best sanitary method, but it is a bit wasteful. I don't really mind though, because this foundation is relatively cheap ($14 CDN/bottle).
-It slides. When you wear sunglasses, they tend to smudge the foundation so you will probably have weird lines on your cheeks where your makeup was.

Apr 18 2011- I strayed from this for a couple of years in favour of Everyday Minerals, but lately EDM has been looking really cakey on my face and not providing much coverage. I'm not sure why. So I whipped this out and applied it with a flat top brush for the first time. Wow! It took less time to apply than MMU (one reason why I used to prefer MMU is that it is really fast), plus the coverage was far superior! I used to apply with my fingers but from now on I will be using my flat top from MUAC. Maybe it's a bit overdramatic to say, but finding out that liquid foundation can look so fantastic when applied with a flat top changed my life. I never thought I would go back to liquid, but I will definitely continue to use this type of foundation. After I try Alima and Make Up Forever's face and body foundation, I will probably end up coming back to my trusty Almay.
I find it looks best when applied over a slightly "greasy" moisturizer, definitely not a matte moisturizer. My favourite is Dormer 211, which the makeup adheres very well to.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2011 1:29:00 PM More reviews by jumpsnoopy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I should start by saying I'm not a huge fan of foundation -- only use it for nights out and stick to a tinted moisturizer for daily use. That said, I really like this one for the times that I do need a foundation. The coverage is great and the color match is great for my NC20-25 skin (I got this one in Naked.) Doesn't make me break out, which is a HUGE plus for my skin... I break out from 95% of the things I've ever put on it. What I use it for mostly is as a concealer. I have some old acne scarring on my cheeks, and I've found that if I dab it on the spots with a concealer brush and then buff in with a kabuki, it gives an airbrushed finish and great coverage! When used as a full-face foundation, it also controls oiliness very well -- better than any other product I've ever tried. That said, it can look cakey if you apply too much, but I don't think you can ever really avoid that with a foundation, and this is one of the best I've tried.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2011 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Leesa123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My search for foundation that actually stays on has a current winner! Very happy with this product. Wanted to try their Truly Lasting Color foundation, but color match was not good. This clear complexion foundation stays on all day and with my oily skin, that has never happened before. There is only 0.5% salicylic acid, so it isn't likely to irritate. Have used it a week now and so far it is great. I don't have running foundation after 4 hours and it doesn't exaggerate fine lines. Definitely recommend it for anyone with combo or oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2011 9:15:00 PM More reviews by ahammer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the only foundation I've ever used that does help prevent breakouts. When I try to switch to another foundation, I start to get bumps on my forehead and blemishes on my cheeks and chin. When I switch back to almay clear, it significantly improves! The coverage is fair, but it does wear off on hot days. The packaging is fine, I just put a sponge over the top, tip it over then back, and use whatever landed on the sponge. A pump or tiny hole would be nice, but it's not necessary. I will definitely buy this again because of my acne-prone skin!