August 1, 2014 | 1517 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Extra Gentle Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2007 12:23:00 AM More reviews by tommicat10

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

At the advise of a Dermatologist I have started using this and Neutragena Oil Free Moisturizer. I also use Cetaphil, jojoba oil and a gentle Meryl Norman cleanser, on sort of a rotating basis. My skin and I are happier that way. This is a very soothing cleanser for mornings and nights, if you don't have much makeup to remove. This is a simple, no nonsense, unexciting, bland almost medicinal feeling cleanser, even more than Cetaphil. It's very thin and has a lotion like consistancy. It's not very luxurious, but it feels soothing. It doesn't lather at all and doesn't leave a film, like Cetaphil. I'd say it has a zero irritability factor, at least for me. I don't use it on heavy makeup days, but those are getting fewer and further inbetween anyway. I don't really know how well it would remove heavy makeup but it's a nice soothing basic cleanser, especially for 'less is more' days. I like it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2007 10:02:00 PM More reviews by lelly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh my word, this is a nice cleanser, and it is true to its name. It is very, very gentle, and it leaves my skin so soft! The only downside is that it doesn't fully remove my makeup, but it is still a great staple.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2007 11:15:00 AM More reviews by agentcorona

This is a very good cleanser. It does not, however, remove makeup. I noticed this the first time I tried to wash my day away with this. It "revamped" my foundation and I thought, WOW! my skin looks better, when it really just smeared my foundation around again. *thinks of how my skin paid for it the following days* For someone like me, who has an extremely hard time finding the right combo for skincare, this will work if I use an actual makeup remover beforehand. Right now it's Neutrogena makeup remover cloths, but I'll save that for another review. So far so good. I'm not sure if I'm being redundent by using a makeup remover cloth AND this product, but the cleanser really is gentle enough for my skin. My skin isn't irritated and red like it used to get after washing with my old facial bar.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2007 8:35:00 PM More reviews by boaconchicken

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this alternately with Purpose's Gentle Cleansing Wash depending on the climate. I use this one during winter, when it's cold and the humidity drops, which causes my skin to dry out. I've got rosacea--extremely sensitive, simultaneously oily and dry, and prone to acne. I'm really careful about what I put on my face since a lot of ingredients will screw my skin up.
While it doesn't "add" moisture back, it's the only cleanser that won't take any away from my skin. It removes non-waterproof make-up, sunscreen, and surface oil without drying. And it's free of drying alcohols, irritants, and fragrance. I've never had a bad reaction. During the summer, though, it can be too creamy/emollient when the air is already thick with moisture. But, then I just switch back to Purpose. Problem solved. I recommend this to anyone with combination, dry, and/or sensitive skin. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2007 10:19:00 AM More reviews by anandakatze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I live in Canada and the cold, dry winter (plus drying cleanser -- Clean and Clear foaming cleanser for sensitive skin) was making my normally oily face very dry and scaly, especially on my cheeks. I've only been using this for a week... but already my face is feeling much more hydrated. It doesn't really take off my sunscreen (I use mineral oil to emulsify first) and I need to wash twice with this cleanser afterwards, massaging it on my face for thirty seconds each time, to get everything off. Using a soft washcloth to wipe it off helps as well. I don't actually think it "adds moisture" with each time I wash, but it doesn't leave my face feeling stripped either. My face is also quite sensitive, especially on my cheeks, and so far it hasn't irritated my skin *knock on wood* -- if anything, the bisabolol in this seems to be soothing and calming and takes away some redness as well. If things continue to go well and this doesn't break me out, I'll definitely buy this again, at least in winter.

Update (Feb. 27/2007): Sadly into my second week this started to sting and irritated my cheeks in what looks like an allergic reaction. Back on the hunt for a winter cleanser :-(

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2007 8:20:00 PM More reviews by quandarical

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I liked this well enough, but it stung my face and I had to use nearly a palmful to get my makeup off, so it's not as cheap as it seems. I can see how it might click with others, but as for me, we agreed we weren't compatible although we will think back fondly on our short time together.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2007 4:45:00 AM More reviews by Sonatina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wonderful cleanser for the winter! I usually use Paula's Choice cleansers, but I'm really glad to have discovered a drugstore cleanser I can use on my face! This is the gentlest non-drying cleanser I have found. It has a lotion-like texture that's easy to use. I just massage it over my face and rinse off, and I'm left with soft, hydrated, clean skin. It's easy to spread and wash off, such a breeze in the morning. Great price for a good-sized bottle, and I love the convenient and hygenic pump packaging!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2007 3:20:00 AM More reviews by princess_eab

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

5/15/07 EDIT: Burns really dry skin-- stopped using, will likely not repurchase, too chemical! END EDIT I bought this on vacation instead of having to lug around my 20 oz. Cetaphil cleanser-- the only brand that doesn't dry my skin out or cause breakouts for me. This cleanser is creamy, like a lotion, but cleans very well, and doesn't leave a residue. It's probably the closest thing to Cetaphil I've found, but it cleans even waterproof eye makeup better if you loosen it with the cleanser and your fingers. Yet neither of them contain heavy oils that remain on the skin like some cream cleansers for dry skin. I took a lippie off because I have flaky dry, retinized skin and experienced some tightness after using this. It's just a bit more tightness than with Cetaphil though, and definitely tolerable. This cleanser worked best for me when I used it directly on my face, rubbed in very well, and then rinsed. EDIT: My skin became even drier, so I began simply rubbing this in and wiping off with a cotton pad. It leaves much less residue than Cetaphil does when used this way, and left my skin soft, clean and not irritated. I think this is my standby winter cleanser and I'll use Cetaphil in the warmer months.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2006 1:42:00 PM More reviews by kylesmom27

I recently switched to this from Cerave cleanser and I'm having great results! It doesn't sting the tender spots on my face, which most other cleansers do. It rinses clean and leaves my face so soft. Love it! I've already bought a second bottle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2006 7:36:00 PM More reviews by candy_hunter

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My lifesaver! One of the very few cleansers out there that are: affordable, non-drying, doesn't cause skin to break out. Comes in a clean-looking bottle with a lockable-pump. I use this a.m. and p.m. It's been more than two weeks, and still no breakouts! Skin feels just right, not too dry, not too greasy, but clean at the same time. Beware though, it is NOT intended for removing makeup. Don't buy this and expect it will take makeup off. That's not a problem for me though, since I always use a separate makeup remover. Will repurchase over and over again.