Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

3.7

Water Purified, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cetyl Ricinoleate(Chamomile (chamomilla recutita) extract), Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol(anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory), Chamomile Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate(vitamin E), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate(licorice root extract), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben 5/29/09

on 4/17/2007 10:49:00 PM

This was one of the worst cleansers I've tried in quite some time. For being called "extra gentle", it sure did burn and sting my poor skin from the first use. I found it to really irritate my sensitive skin and leave it red, raw, and dry.

And "cleanser"? Ha. It doesn't remove even a TRACE of makeup. Used withOUT a washcloth, my makeup was honestly perfectly intact, just damp. Obviously, it won't budge sunscreen either.

All in all, decent packaging and price, but it ineffective AND irritated my skin.

on 4/13/2007 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I bought this when I was having lots of problems finding a good cleanser and my face was just red and irritated. I thought this would be soothing and gentle. WRONG! Something in it burned my skin and the texture is like milky and filmy and doesn't feel clean at all. I hated this stuff!!!!!

on 4/4/2007 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

This is a great product for the sensitive souls out there, it's extra gentle just as it says, I can even use it on my really sensitive, arid eye area and it doesn't dry it out.

Great price too!

on 3/17/2007 11:23:00 AM

This does not remove makeup without a washcloth, so I don't recommend. However, if you have dry-ish skin and aren't wearing makeup, it's not drying or irritating.

on 3/5/2007 12:23:00 AM

At the advise of a Dermatologist I have started using this and Neutragena Oil Free Moisturizer. I also use Cetaphil, jojoba oil and a gentle Meryl Norman cleanser, on sort of a rotating basis. My skin and I are happier that way. This is a very soothing cleanser for mornings and nights, if you don't have much makeup to remove. This is a simple, no nonsense, unexciting, bland almost medicinal feeling cleanser, even more than Cetaphil. It's very thin and has a lotion like consistancy. It's not very luxurious, but it feels soothing. It doesn't lather at all and doesn't leave a film, like Cetaphil. I'd say it has a zero irritability factor, at least for me. I don't use it on heavy makeup days, but those are getting fewer and further inbetween anyway. I don't really know how well it would remove heavy makeup but it's a nice soothing basic cleanser, especially for 'less is more' days. I like it.

on 3/4/2007 10:02:00 PM

Oh my word, this is a nice cleanser, and it is true to its name. It is very, very gentle, and it leaves my skin so soft! The only downside is that it doesn't fully remove my makeup, but it is still a great staple.

on 3/1/2007 11:15:00 AM

This is a very good cleanser. It does not, however, remove makeup. I noticed this the first time I tried to wash my day away with this. It "revamped" my foundation and I thought, WOW! my skin looks better, when it really just smeared my foundation around again. *thinks of how my skin paid for it the following days* For someone like me, who has an extremely hard time finding the right combo for skincare, this will work if I use an actual makeup remover beforehand. Right now it's Neutrogena makeup remover cloths, but I'll save that for another review. So far so good. I'm not sure if I'm being redundent by using a makeup remover cloth AND this product, but the cleanser really is gentle enough for my skin. My skin isn't irritated and red like it used to get after washing with my old facial bar.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I use this alternately with Purpose's Gentle Cleansing Wash depending on the climate. I use this one during winter, when it's cold and the humidity drops, which causes my skin to dry out. I've got rosacea--extremely sensitive, simultaneously oily and dry, and prone to acne. I'm really careful about what I put on my face since a lot of ingredients will screw my skin up.
While it doesn't "add" moisture back, it's the only cleanser that won't take any away from my skin. It removes non-waterproof make-up, sunscreen, and surface oil without drying. And it's free of drying alcohols, irritants, and fragrance. I've never had a bad reaction. During the summer, though, it can be too creamy/emollient when the air is already thick with moisture. But, then I just switch back to Purpose. Problem solved. I recommend this to anyone with combination, dry, and/or sensitive skin. continued >>

on 2/23/2007 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I live in Canada and the cold, dry winter (plus drying cleanser -- Clean and Clear foaming cleanser for sensitive skin) was making my normally oily face very dry and scaly, especially on my cheeks. I've only been using this for a week... but already my face is feeling much more hydrated. It doesn't really take off my sunscreen (I use mineral oil to emulsify first) and I need to wash twice with this cleanser afterwards, massaging it on my face for thirty seconds each time, to get everything off. Using a soft washcloth to wipe it off helps as well. I don't actually think it "adds moisture" with each time I wash, but it doesn't leave my face feeling stripped either. My face is also quite sensitive, especially on my cheeks, and so far it hasn't irritated my skin *knock on wood* -- if anything, the bisabolol in this seems to be soothing and calming and takes away some redness as well. If things continue to go well and this doesn't break me out, I'll definitely buy this again, at least in winter.

Update (Feb. 27/2007): Sadly into my second week this started to sting and irritated my cheeks in what looks like an allergic reaction. Back on the hunt for a winter cleanser :-(

on 1/30/2007 8:20:00 PM

I liked this well enough, but it stung my face and I had to use nearly a palmful to get my makeup off, so it's not as cheap as it seems. I can see how it might click with others, but as for me, we agreed we weren't compatible although we will think back fondly on our short time together.