April 24, 2014 | 1073 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Extra Gentle Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2007 4:45:00 AM More reviews by Sonatina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wonderful cleanser for the winter! I usually use Paula's Choice cleansers, but I'm really glad to have discovered a drugstore cleanser I can use on my face! This is the gentlest non-drying cleanser I have found. It has a lotion-like texture that's easy to use. I just massage it over my face and rinse off, and I'm left with soft, hydrated, clean skin. It's easy to spread and wash off, such a breeze in the morning. Great price for a good-sized bottle, and I love the convenient and hygenic pump packaging!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2007 3:20:00 AM More reviews by princess_eab

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

5/15/07 EDIT: Burns really dry skin-- stopped using, will likely not repurchase, too chemical! END EDIT I bought this on vacation instead of having to lug around my 20 oz. Cetaphil cleanser-- the only brand that doesn't dry my skin out or cause breakouts for me. This cleanser is creamy, like a lotion, but cleans very well, and doesn't leave a residue. It's probably the closest thing to Cetaphil I've found, but it cleans even waterproof eye makeup better if you loosen it with the cleanser and your fingers. Yet neither of them contain heavy oils that remain on the skin like some cream cleansers for dry skin. I took a lippie off because I have flaky dry, retinized skin and experienced some tightness after using this. It's just a bit more tightness than with Cetaphil though, and definitely tolerable. This cleanser worked best for me when I used it directly on my face, rubbed in very well, and then rinsed. EDIT: My skin became even drier, so I began simply rubbing this in and wiping off with a cotton pad. It leaves much less residue than Cetaphil does when used this way, and left my skin soft, clean and not irritated. I think this is my standby winter cleanser and I'll use Cetaphil in the warmer months.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2006 1:42:00 PM More reviews by kylesmom27

I recently switched to this from Cerave cleanser and I'm having great results! It doesn't sting the tender spots on my face, which most other cleansers do. It rinses clean and leaves my face so soft. Love it! I've already bought a second bottle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2006 7:36:00 PM More reviews by candy_hunter

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My lifesaver! One of the very few cleansers out there that are: affordable, non-drying, doesn't cause skin to break out. Comes in a clean-looking bottle with a lockable-pump. I use this a.m. and p.m. It's been more than two weeks, and still no breakouts! Skin feels just right, not too dry, not too greasy, but clean at the same time. Beware though, it is NOT intended for removing makeup. Don't buy this and expect it will take makeup off. That's not a problem for me though, since I always use a separate makeup remover. Will repurchase over and over again.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2006 9:04:00 PM More reviews by mayomi18

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this a few months ago when I started breaking out like crazy. My skin was irritated from stress, the sun and a face wash I'll never try again even if people paid me to use it (points a finger at Philosophy). I wanted something gentle to let my skin calm down. This didn't irritate my skin or make it worse but it also did nothing to improve it. After washing, my face still feels dirty and now that it's winter it has somehow made my skin dry. What I hate the most about this though, is that it doesn't remove make-up. I have to go over my face with three-four cotton balls of toner before my face is clean. Maybe that's fine for some people, but I need a cleanser that REMOVES make-up. I also hate the pump, which makes this impossible to travel with because you can't close it.
Anyway, I used up my bottle but I will definitely not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2006 11:47:00 PM More reviews by rav2b

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Didn't much like this when I first tried it, but desperation with increasingly dry and touchy skin made me dig it out of the closet. And now...I love it! It isn't a great makeup remover, but so soothing that I've actually used it as a second wash. My skin is smoother and plumper, holds moisture better, and even seems clearer.

UPDATE 6/08: can't remember when I stopped using it, but it's been awhile. Have been using plain old Pond's Cold Cream now for about 8 months.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2006 1:18:00 AM More reviews by sheepishgurl

i bought this product based on the reviews here in MUA, i have sensitive skin and get breakouts on my forehead and some on my nose. i just bought this product and tried it. when applied, it had a nice "gentle" feeling. once rinsed, my skin felt smooth and with just the right amount of moisture. i hope this product goes well as it its not too bad a price to pay. i've tried products like clean and clear, aveeno,and a few products from sephora which works great but is very pricy
the other products ive tried left my very sensitive skin feeling stripped, stung and filmy, ewww like saran wrap. but this cleanser felt really nice for the price. i will continue to use this and update later

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2006 8:00:00 PM More reviews by Lk21

Wow, I totally hated this!!! I have sensitive skin that dries up during the cold months, and this didnt do anything!! I used Shiseido's cotton pads to exfoliate while using this cleanser, and it irritated my skin! And worse it did not help with my sensitive dry skin. It left this odd film on my skin, and I ended up washing it again with another cleaners, thus drying out my skin even more. Please, don't waste your money on this junk. And it also does NOTHING in terms of removing make-up. Total waste of money.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/28/2006 11:56:00 PM More reviews by xytt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't like this cleanser at all. I bought it because of reviews I read else where. People said it is super gentle, very moisturizing, and besides all that, the ingredients are good. But it did not impress me at all. It feels oily at first and is hard to rinse off from my face. I feel it leaves a film on my face; and the worst thing is, it dryes my skin out. After being cleaned with this cleanser, my face feels rough!! I don't like to throw things away so I finished the bottle as a shower lotion.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2006 10:29:00 AM More reviews by Skylovette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this a month ago when my skin was dry and desperately flaking with red spots at certain areas. I found the reviews here quite helpful in helping me make up my mind about purchasing this. I like how it leaves the skin supple and not tight at all, although as most of the comments highlight, it probably only removed 60% of my waterproof eyemake up if its used in one wash. Its better as a make up remover and used again as a cleanser for thorough make up removal. Its a gentle cleanser that did help curing my desperately dry skin yet combo skin though I wouldn't recommend it to those with oily skin. I actually prefer this to Biotherm, Estee Lauder, H2O and Dior. My theory is that cleansers shouldn't cost the earth because you wash it off anyway, but it should function well enough for your skin to benefit and for the price, this is real value for money. It also helps to apply the 'massage on face for 30 seconds' direction to obtain the best results from this cleanser. I also applaud the packaging for its convenient pump that helps keep the cleanser bacterial-less, unlike most cleansers with their flip top/screw top lids. Will continue with this find.