October 2, 2014 | 974 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2013 12:18:00 PM More reviews by blackberries

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is extremely expensive for a cleanser, I usually just buy drugstore stuff like Cetaphil. I've used Cetaphil for years and years now, especially since I was acne prone during my school years (my face is clear now). I switched to Purity only a month ago after I tried out some samples. I LOVE IT! Cetaphil cleanser has treated me nicely so far, but Purity eliminated my oiliness for the ENTIRE day! I still have some forehead shine left but I am much less oily than before, AND I AM SO HAPPY. I use this only in the mornings hoping the bottle will last longer!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by 8alexis

Love this cleanser. It gets off your makeup and cleans your skin without leaving your face feeling dried out. Its super gentle and effective at the same time.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 6:42:00 PM More reviews by adara260

I bought this product as an all in one makeup remover and cleanser. First it did not take off all my makeup. I only had on eyeliner and mineral makeup. The eyeliner is smudeproof and waterproof and did not come off with Purity. This cleanser also dried out my skin, and I have oily combo skin. The smell and texture was nice. It reminds me of a liquidy version of Pond's cold cream which I like but is too strong for my combo oily skin.

Really wanted to love this but I like it OK enough to use til its gone. Would not repurchase having this experience.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2013 6:23:00 PM More reviews by RoseJade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I had been using this in combination with my Clarisonic for over a year. I stopped using purity made simple at the end of 2012 and switched to dermalogicas dermal clay as my daily facial wash. Personally I love dermal clay WAY more than purity. Also dermal clay in conjunction with the clarisonic is utterly amazing. I'd say skip this and check out dermal clay if your on the oily side. Now back on topicÖI went through one (8oz) bottle of purity in less than a year. So I ended up my second time around getting the 16oz so it would last me a full year. I would use this 1-2x a day depending on what other facial treatments I had that day. A major pro is you donít need to tone after. When I tried to tone after itís a waste of the toner because nothing comes offÖ So it definitely does what it says. Also takes off makeup really well. Made simple is correct. They get my approval on that! :-) ....
I really loved this stuff! (Hint: I said LOVED not LOVE) :( This helped make my skin really clear at a point in my life then my skin got really oily at a point from hormones or lord knows what. I needed something less hydrating so I had to steer away from this and the result of not using this:
1) my skins back to normal
2) less breakouts
3) Less oily
Since I did switch Iíve got a massive bottle of it just chilling out. Lol. I must state when I didnít have an oil mess on my face this worked just fine on me. Didnít cause breakouts, in fact this helped clear up my skin. Not completely but it helped some. During that time frame I considered my skin type combo. Iím just typing this to help people figure out if this is for ther skin type. I know its a lot of money so you wont the best for your buck. Anyways other things Iíd like to take note upon would be that It smells divine, It feels AMAZING, and definitely feels like luxury. Being a hydrating cleanser I think its great for the drier months because it feels like a dream when you need that extra hydrations but when your more on the oily side I think this is a major skip. Depending on your skin type this could be a huge NO-NO or a gigantic YESSSSSSSSS! Do the research and see if this is going to benefit or possibly harm your skin. Last thing I got to say is - this has parabens in itÖÖÖ

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 4:39:00 PM More reviews by maria8422

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Oh man, I'm so happy to give another review about this product. The first being directed to the company. Maybe I can help someone out before another disaster.

This product dried out my skin so badly that it actually started to severely peel.
I bought it in the winter, so I thought that the extreme dry/cold air was the reason I had such a terrible reaction to it. It took 3 days for my skin to finally flake off and look somewhat normal to go outside. I globbed cream on like no tomorrow in those 3 days, and I still looked like a shedding snake. I was so desperate for moisture that I smeared jojoba and apricot kernal oil all over my face, and that was not helping either.

I thought that maybe it had to do with the cold temperature in the winter months, so when summer rolled around I gave it another shot. We have very hot and humid summers here by the way (Toronto).. but low and behold I had the same reaction from this bloody cleanser!!

It also claimed to take off your makeup, but doesn't do that either. My non-waterproof mascara was still on my lashes, (I put on minimal mascara).

I will NEVER buy this product again! I was so annoyed because I spent quite a lot of money on a tiny travel size bottle. It costing me almost 16 or 17 dollars. Smells nice though.

I guess million dollar marketing with great pakaging allows companies to take advantage of the people.

I wish I could select zero for overal rating. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!
Total Nightmare!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by BehindtheMayCup

About three months ago I had a horrible allergic reaction. I tried absolutely everything to calm my face. I used products like, Clean and Clear, and Cetaphil, but this was to no avail. Finally, I came across this pricey cleanser and decided to purchase because my friend had it and claimed it was her HG cleanser. When I use this I'm usually in the shower and I take a quarter sized amount in the palm of my hand and mix it with water until it lathers real nice, and then I massage it into my face for exactly a minute. The smell is a subtle citrus smell but nothing major to worry about, and it is a creamy milky color.The only problem I find with this, and the reason I gave it a 4 out of 5 rating, is because I feel as if I have to repeat the process one more time to fully get all my make up off(I wear a really pigmented and strong wear foundation). I pair this with my Lush Angels on Bare Skin cleanser and now my face is slowly starting to repair itself, and I'm so happy. I purchased a 12 oz bottle of this on Black Friday for $10 ( WHAT A STEAL!) and it has lasted until now ( 2-3-13 ), just to give you a time span of how long it lasts, and I still have atleast 2 to three more weeks of product left so I definitely think it's worth the price, but I rated it a 4 out of 5 for pricing due to the fact that it could be very expensive for other people considering it's regular price for a 12 oz is $26 dollars, especially if the product doesn't work for you. The packaging is nothing fancy just a bottle with a cap and that's good enough for me. Overall, I'm going to repurchase this product and continue using it. Next time I plan on purchasing the 32 oz bottle because it ends up being cheaper. (:
-BehindtheMayCup

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2013 8:10:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This cleanser contains way too many essential oils for my sensitive skin. I found the scent overwhelming and the formula irritating. There are plenty of gentle drugstore products that clean better at a fraction of the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by kpennock

I use this 2 times a day every day. In the morning I use it in combination with the microdelivery exfoliating wash. I love this product. My face feels so smooth all the time. My makeup applies better. I have noticed any acne scarring or redness has lightened considerably. My undereye circles are lighter.

I LOVE this product. In fact I love most philosophy products except the moisturizer.

I will say I do not have really acne prone skin though I do get maybe 2 or so pimples a week sometimes more or less but I touch my face a lot so that probably doesn't help.

The only downside I found to the cleanser is it does have a very unique citrus-esque type smell. It is a little obnoxious but fades so fast it is a non issue. It is pricey but lasts a LONG time. I use so much less of it (maybe a dime size amount twice a day) so my 8 oz bottle is about 1/3 gone after using it religiously for 2 months every day. So if you figure 20 dollars for 6 months of cleanser where before i would have to buy a new drugstore cleanser at about 8 bucks at a time every maybe 3-4 weeks. It really evens out in cost for me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2013 10:48:00 PM More reviews by Kelllyjayne

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I stopped using Proactive for a while to try this product. Since it was so expensive I felt that I needed to use it all. I broke out considerably when using this. I feel that its only good for people without acne prone skin and that have normally clear and near-perfect skin. I regret buying this and I'm glad i'm back to proactive.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2013 12:54:00 PM More reviews by swatters

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really loved that this product is pH neutral, it won't burn your eyes if you are taking off mascara. I don't do a makeup remover AND a cleanser, so for me, a cleanser has to take off my eye makeup too!
This did NOT burn my eyes, and has the creamiest consistency. It takes off all makeup the first time and has a great clean smell... almost a tad bit lemony, but very very mild.

The two complaints I have with this item are 1- very expensive and 2- STUPID packaging! I love Philosophy washes, but they're always in those dumb rigid plastic bottles. Once the product is 75% gone, you can never get the rest out without denting the bottle and it looking like crap. I ended up using a pump left over from a different product and it worked well. I will probably try the version in the tube next.