December 18, 2014 | 1649 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by MsHepburn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As far as reds go, this isn't as retro as I expected it to be. It is super, super bright, which you really have to be prepared for. If I layer it on really heavily I can get it quite intense, but if I blot it turns almost fuchsia on me. I do think this is an absolutely stunning colour but I think it's a little too pink for me at the end of the day. My skintone is hard to describe. I'm half Dutch, half Moroccan, and my skin is pretty light in the wintertime but with olive undertones, if that makes sense. I can look very grey and pasty in winter and I wanted a bright red lipstick for the party season that would warm up my complexion. I think this colour looks a bit garish on me, but I have seen it on both darker skinned girls and very pale girls and it looked stunning on both, so I'm not sure why it doesn't suit me.

I also have Viva Glam I but that is a bit too brown. The search continues.

Edit 26 October 2012:

Well... I think I found my perfect colour after all. If I mix a little bit of Viva Glam I into this, it's the perfect vivid intense glamour red. It just deepens it a little bit without turning it too brownish... I love it! Also, I noticed that there is a HUGE difference in how this lipstick looks on me depending on the lighting. If I'm outside in broad daylight or inside with lots of light, either from amps or daylight, Ruby Woo looks just a little too bright and pink on me. However, if I'm in dimmed lighting or a less well lit room, it looks very deep and sexy.

I'm guessing this would be perfect for a candlelit dinner or an evening gala with festive lighting, but it doesn't suit me for that 'funky girl on the street' look that I love on other girls.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2012 1:39:00 AM More reviews by Kiwistace

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am quite pale NW15 with huge lips and white blonde hair so was worried that this color would take over my face (as many bright lipsticks do). It's perfect. I love the mat retro feel to this. I wear it with gold shimmery shadow and a liquid liner and it looks just gorgeous - very 50s style.
Not a color for the faint hearted but absolutely love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by msmarielliejellie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a gorgeous deep red color that's very wearable. I got this from my back to Mac when I swatched it in the store and the SA complimented me and saying to looks perfect on my skintone. I love that it is matte, a bit of a struggle to get it on perfectly but I find that it makes it more wearable because it isn't out there. Apart from wearing it full on, I like using this as a tint. I dab it lightly on my lips and use my finger to blend it out. It lasts FOREVER when used this way. A perfect lippie for someone who wants a 2 second makeover from day to night.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2012 10:25:00 PM More reviews by cpkgirl1116

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Ruby Woo has a classy finish & looks great on many complexions. The matteness is great because it wont really smudge but needs lip balm before putting on. I get complimented when I wear it. Definite reccomend!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2012 1:47:00 AM More reviews by tazz222003

Mac's Ruby Woo is THE perfect retro red. The pigment just pops and the formula stays in place for a long time. Reapplication may be necessary (it is for me) but with liner and primer it's fantastic. Why the 4 stars? Well this lipstick dries out so quickly! The dryness doesn't effect the color, but it makes it impossible to apply directly to the lips... but it's an easy fix; I just use a brush. But for that perfect pin-up red lip; this is it!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2012 5:52:00 PM More reviews by pam123457

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Everyone is giving rave reviews on this product. It is a very gorgeous red, looks good on everyone! Mkaes you look sophisticated, sexy, and classy. BUT the only downside is its not creamy at all, it's weird to apply because it is not creamy. And very drying to lips, for sure use a lip primer otherwise the color will fade within 2 hours. Even though it has these downfalls, I don't mind reapply the color and so on throughout the day, because it is the best matte red color, and doesn't look pinky or orangey at all which is good because I am a winter skin tone.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2012 10:01:00 AM More reviews by LondonGal23

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Got this yesterday and love it already! Agree with a lot of the other reviews, yes it is very dry but it's such a lovely colour and has such an amazing staying power (doesn't come off on glasses or cups ... yay!). It is expensive for a lipstick but so are all mac lipsticks, but you definitely pay for quality. I don't have a lip liner and I think it will look better with one just to neaten the edges, but looks lovely without. Gorgeous colour that demands attention!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2012 7:19:00 AM More reviews by Tiptoemousey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this on a whim I was bringing back empties and wanted to get something I did not have yet and I thought I do not have many reds let alone Matte reds. This reminds me of classic pin up red many people say they find this lipstick to be very drying for me it is not the case unless I have a week where I wear a matte lip three or four days in a row. If I want to add a bit of change to this lipstick I take my YSL rouge pur couture 20 and add it right in the center. This is a staple lipstick in any collection and a great pick for fall.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Jessabell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Next to pointless adding another glowing review here but i just have to!

This is the absolutely embodies what a classic red lipstick should be! its honestly the epitemy of class! It is blue toned and so it wont make your teeth look odd or highlight the imperfections they may have. I am lucky to have pretty nice teeth but sometimes reds can be unflattering to them. This actually sort of brightens them (optical illusion of course but still, if it works right?)

If you are looking at swatches on the net just be aware that if this colour seems to be bright red it is because of the flash photography, In the photos where it looks darker and more demeour, that is its actual colour. Swatch it on your hand while at the mac counter and you will see the difference between what it can look lik in reality as opposed to certain photos.

People are saying its drying on the lips but if after you brush your teeth you use a towel to get rid of the excess water from the bursh, use the brush t exfoliae thelips, just move it across the lips, then apply your favourite balm, wait a couple of minutes, blot the lips, then apply the lipstick. Then maybe if you want apply a little balm on top. I would suggest you use a clear balm for this. I use vichy's aquila lip balm.

You wont have ny problems if you do that. If you really want a red lip you will positively not regret buying this!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by 90sbaby4eva23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My FAVORITE Mac lipstick, one of the best reds I own. Mac's website description calling it a coral red is VERY untrue & misleading this lipstick has NO warm tones let alone orange/coral. Ruby woo is a neutral, SLIGHTLY blue based, ultra dry matte but still applies even. The signature Mac vanilla scent is even more potent due to its dry texture. Make sure to scrub the lips several times & let your lip conditioner soak a few minutes before applying. After that I line my lips w/ NYX rose brown, fill in my lips w/ a little NYX red hot (cancels out muddy lip color), and then apply ruby woo. This is a great red to wear during the day. Iíll wear this bronze/mulch on the lid or sable & sketch, even looks great w/ wood winked. Mac matchmaster 8.5 (for reference)