Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor

4.2

Aqua, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Paraffinum Liquidum, Glycol Stearate, PEG-8 Distearate, Ceteth-2, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Keratin (Quadramine Complex), Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin, Myristyl Myristate, Citric Acid, Parfum, Sorbic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Yeast Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Benzyl Alcohol, Coumarin, Limonene.

on 7/11/2008 12:37:00 AM

This reconstructor is GREAT. Be careful not to over use though. I use it once or twice a month on my bleach blonde hair and it keeps my hair soft, shiny, silky, sleek, and full-looking. If you need some serious hair care then this is the stuff to buy. It is just great and smells YUMMY!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I use this after chemical services. My hair always fels strong yet flexible afterwards. Not stiff like other reconstructors/protein treatments.

on 6/16/2008 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Like the reviewer before me, I have tried the K-Pak line twice, and both times was disappointed. The shampoo is quite nice, smells good and doesn't seem to strip my super dry, curly hair. However, the daily conditioner is runny and not nearly moisturizing enough, and the Reconstructor is nothing fabulous. It might be great for someone with hair that's been damaged by bleaching or too much heat styling (protein-based conditioners are great to strengthen hair), but otherwise stay away. Conditioners with protein can cause hair to feel dry and brittle if you're hair ISN'T weakened by harsh chemicals/regular heat application. My hair is damaged but only because it's so ridiculously curly that it breaks every time I comb it out. Aside from that, the conditioner is lumpy and the smell is one of those that you either love it or HATE it. Guess which side of the fence I'm on...

on 6/4/2008 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hmmm, it is very expensive, smells like bananas and does nothing at all for my parched, dry, frizzy hair. I have tried the whole Joico K-pak system in large sizes twice and twice it has underperfomed and was useless for me, will never repurchase no matter what the prize as I get zero results from this line....

on 6/4/2008 10:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

this was the biggest waste of money ever! it does absolutely nothing for my dry, processed hair. if you want a good deep treatment, by garnier melting masque. it is 100 times better and only costs 4 bucks at the drugstore! the only thing i liked about this product was the smell, which after a while got nauseating anyway. dont believe the hype, this stuff is garbage.

on 5/6/2008 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

As to whether I would buy this again, it would depend on how badly I've treated my hair. I've used this before when my hair wasn't damaged, and it didn't do anything. I tried this the other day, as my hair has been abnormally dry. I left this on for 5 minutes and rinsed with cool water. I let my hair air dry and had my perfect ringlets again.

It's a little pricey, but I think worth it if you need reconstruction. If you need hydration try another product.

on 4/20/2008 8:15:00 PM

After going from jet black to platinum hair, my hair needed some serious tlc. Someone with gorgeous hair recommended this to me so I bought the bigger bottle for about 25 bucks having faith in what she said... My hair was damaged but not that bad with all things considered before this conditioner but after using it, my hair had the consistency of COTTON CANDY the next day. Yes, I left it in long enough, and did a long moisturizing afterwards and it did absolutely nothing. In fact, my hair felt more fragile than before. I tried it a few more times to see if it would work and nothing... I guess my dry, coarse latina hair hated it. Plus the smell was horrendous.

I swiftly stopped using this and did an Aphogee treatment for damaged hair followed for the next week by a combo of an Olive Oil replenishing pack, Smooth N Shine Silk Fusion treatment, Montagne Jeunesse Hot Miracle and Aussie 3 minute moisture and my hair is now soft, maneagable and healthy looking... almost back to perfect! I went from "dear god you're going to be bald" while using the K-Pak to looking like I have real hair again.

I really wanted this to work for me but no dice. If you're hair is like mine, chemically tortured (I have been bleaching, dyeing and relaxing for ~10 years), heat styled to submission and naturally very thick, curly and dryness-prone, I would recommend Nexxus Emergencee or Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair for your protein needs... K-Pak is offically not my friend.

on 4/6/2008 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I used this before when my hair wasn't damaged and was NOT impressed. Do not use this if you hair is not "extremely" damaged. You will not see big impressive results if your hair doesn't need this.

I have "major" damage from bleaching black out of my hair with 40vol bleach one too many times, and this time around I can see a difference in the Kpak working for me. My hair felt like straw, unmanagable, and breaking off like crazy. When wet...my hair felt so spongey and was so delicate and breakable...I was scared to put "anything" this on it. This was my last hope. I knew I needed to do a protein treatment, and since Nexxus Emergencee was sold out...I got Kpak. So glad I did! My hair does feel stronger and isn't breaking as much. It's not 100 percent not breaking, but there is a huge improvement in the strength of my hair. I followed up with Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment. This combo is really helping to make my hair better and is helping to salvage what I can, so I won't have to cut my hair super short. I have a long road a head of me, but these two products have given me hope.

You need a good conditioner after Kpak, or your hair will feel rough and dry!!! I used both products with heat to open the hair cuticles so the products can penetrate. I highly recommend that too!

on 3/11/2008 7:47:00 PM

This product is a classic and for good reason. I especially appreciated this product after a recent dye job (no ammonia or peroxide was used though). I bought the whole Keratase Chroma Shine line (shampoo, conditioner, leave in). I love this Kerastase Bain Miroir/Chroma line and recommend it to anyone but I'm not thrilled with the conditioner. I found a packet of K-pak Reconstructor (probably haven't used K-Pak in 5 years) and used it. After, my hair practically looked new and the shine impressed even me (I thought the Joico K-Pak blew the Keratase conditioner out of the water). I'm sold. And I promptly bought a big tube the next day.

I first tried this product when I was 16 (I'm 42 now). I have fine (but lots of it) long (5" past the shoulder) black, straight, silky hair (I'm Korean). Slightly oily scalp with dry ends. I use these products: Keratase, Joico, Alterna Hemp, Redken.

on 3/10/2008 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I really like this "reconstructor." K- Pak is the only line of products I feel makes a difference to my hair. I've only used this and the 'Intense Hydrator,' but with continued use, my hair was shinier, softer and less damaged. I don't know why I thought I could find a better conditioning duo!