September 2, 2014 | 2017 users online

Hair Treatments - Joico - k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by Tresha

I used this before when my hair wasn't damaged and was NOT impressed. Do not use this if you hair is not "extremely" damaged. You will not see big impressive results if your hair doesn't need this.

I have "major" damage from bleaching black out of my hair with 40vol bleach one too many times, and this time around I can see a difference in the Kpak working for me. My hair felt like straw, unmanagable, and breaking off like crazy. When wet...my hair felt so spongey and was so delicate and breakable...I was scared to put "anything" this on it. This was my last hope. I knew I needed to do a protein treatment, and since Nexxus Emergencee was sold out...I got Kpak. So glad I did! My hair does feel stronger and isn't breaking as much. It's not 100 percent not breaking, but there is a huge improvement in the strength of my hair. I followed up with Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment. This combo is really helping to make my hair better and is helping to salvage what I can, so I won't have to cut my hair super short. I have a long road a head of me, but these two products have given me hope.

You need a good conditioner after Kpak, or your hair will feel rough and dry!!! I used both products with heat to open the hair cuticles so the products can penetrate. I highly recommend that too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2008 7:47:00 PM More reviews by lchoe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is a classic and for good reason. I especially appreciated this product after a recent dye job (no ammonia or peroxide was used though). I bought the whole Keratase Chroma Shine line (shampoo, conditioner, leave in). I love this Kerastase Bain Miroir/Chroma line and recommend it to anyone but I'm not thrilled with the conditioner. I found a packet of K-pak Reconstructor (probably haven't used K-Pak in 5 years) and used it. After, my hair practically looked new and the shine impressed even me (I thought the Joico K-Pak blew the Keratase conditioner out of the water). I'm sold. And I promptly bought a big tube the next day.

I first tried this product when I was 16 (I'm 42 now). I have fine (but lots of it) long (5" past the shoulder) black, straight, silky hair (I'm Korean). Slightly oily scalp with dry ends. I use these products: Keratase, Joico, Alterna Hemp, Redken.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2008 1:49:00 AM More reviews by xmikimagoo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really like this "reconstructor." K- Pak is the only line of products I feel makes a difference to my hair. I've only used this and the 'Intense Hydrator,' but with continued use, my hair was shinier, softer and less damaged. I don't know why I thought I could find a better conditioning duo!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2008 9:52:00 PM More reviews by tornadogirl

I remember using this stuff when I was a lot younger and it was great on my dry hair (especially after using Sun-in). I thought that I would try it again after 20 years as my hair recently been stripped and coloured and was dry. The rep that I bought it from advised me to leave it in my hair, rinse and then use my regular conditioner to seal the cuticle.
I used it exactly the way I was instructed to and it didn't make a difference, plus I remembered that I hated the rotting banana smell. I gave it a couple more tried but my hair was drier than ever...back it went to the store.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2008 4:59:00 AM More reviews by KerissaMarie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I caved, and finally tried this after reading all the MUA reviews. I have long, thick, native american hair that's color-treated. This stuff is awesome! At first, I was turned off because it was kinda runny and thin and I always thought deep conditioners had to be super thick. I was wrong, and I have found my HG. And I've tried EVERYTHING.
I put it in immediately after I shampoo, tie my hair up into a bun, and let it soak in while I shower. Rinsing it off at the end of my shower is always climactic, because my hair always feels like satin. And the smell is comparable to a "Monkey's Lunch"-- a milk drink with banana liqueur... which ends up smelling a little nutty after your hair dries. Nice. I recommend it to everyone I know.
Other's here complain about it being too heavy-- I use it only once a week and have no complaints. Deep Conditioners aren't supposed to be used everyday after-all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2008 3:43:00 AM More reviews by eternalstarangel

This product works best when combined with a shampoo like joico's chelating shampoo that removes residues from your hair before you use it. It is not, however, a conditioner, and will not condition your hair, though it does repair damage. IT also is not for everyday use. I don't really like the smell of the stuff though since it smells like old bananas.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by misskeryn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Even though this is expensive, it is definitely worth the $20! I first bought this in a gift set with the K-Pak Shampoo. Originally, I had thought this to be a normal conditioner and used it every time I washed (usually everyday). Although this is probably too harsh to be using everyday, I didnt notice any bad things, only good. This smells delicious, does exactly what it says, and makes my hair look and feel like I just left the salon. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2008 3:27:00 PM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this more than Redken Deep Fuel.My hair is more soft and shine.I use it for 15 min after Redken Extreme shampoo and before Redken All soft Heavy cream ones a week.Is really done great job for my hair.Will definitely buy again.
UPDATE /
I have to add that i STOP using All Soft masque after this protein as very good hairdresser tell me that this was wrong and in this case the All Soft make that the protein is NOT working this way.
I was told that after Deep Fuel or ANY protein i HAVE to apply ONLY good conditioner ( like Extreme one) NOT masques which are totaly diferent trearment than protein one) YOU CAN;T MIX THEM!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Kandinsky

This is hands down one of the best treatments I've ever used on my hair. I have dry wavy, 2b, virgin hair that is coarse and damaged due to heat styling. The great reviews on MUA led me to purchase a small $2 sample bottle at Trade Secret - and I will be getting a full size. The first time I used this, I did a cardinal sin and used it w/out checking MUA reviews - I shampooed, applied the Reconstructor, and rinsed - my hair was dry and dull and gross feeling. However, after reading reviews, I realized my error: THIS IS NOT A DEEP CONDITIONER, IT IS A PROTEIN TREATMENT AND SHOULD BE FOLLOWED BY A DEEP CONDITIONER.

Now once a week, I wash my hair (Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo), apply this for about 5 minutes and rinse, then follow with the Giovanni deep conditioner for another 5-10 minutes. My hair is soft, silky, and shiny and much stronger. This is perfect for maintaining my hair between cuts. I love that Joico's Reconstructor actually restores the health of my hair instead of just slathering it in silicones to temporarily change the texture. Yes, this is kinda pricey but really you should only be using this once a week at most any ways so it should last you a fair amount of time.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2008 4:08:00 PM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

this treatment is AMAZING for healing and revitalizing damaged hair! i have had this for about a year and used it a few times when i first purchased it, i got an awesome deal at Trade Secret for a tube of this, the shampoo and conditoner for something insanely cheap like $30, but anyways, i loved it when i used it before and it gave me great results. fast forward to last week when i had my virgin hair dyed from it's natural dark blonde to a deep, dark reddish brown color, and it had to be dyed twice and toned THREE times to get it to the ideal color. as you can imagine, it felt like straw after this, and i had to wait 4 scary days until i could wash it to let the color "set". on that fourth night, i used the K-PAK shampoo to wash my hair twice and then smoothed on a liberal amount of the reconstructor and let it sit for about 10 minutes in the steamy shower. after i rinsed out the shampoo but before i put on the reconstructor, my hair felt so rough and tangled and awful that i was about to cry! after i rinsed out the reconstructor, it might as well have been a new head of hair altogether. soft, silky, no tangles, no roughness. the real test came later when i blowdried my hair, and the results were amazing. my hair was atleast 90% back to normal! it felt softer, stronger, and silkier. this works wonders for your hair and smells heavenly, too! i don't have the best sense of smell and really don't care too much about products being scented but the fresh, clean banana-ish smell this has is just gorgeous! makes you want to sniff your hair over and over. the texture of the product is kinda strange, it's chunky and almost reminds you of oatmeal, but don't be surprised when you see it because although it's a little weird, it's a miracle worker. this is a truly excellent product, i would recommend this to anyone who heat-styles and especially to those who have recently had a dye-job.