October 24, 2014 | 1653 users online

Primer/ Corrector - BeneFit Cosmetics - The POREfessional

rated 3 of 5 on 12/12/2013 2:01:00 PM More reviews by ShawTee843

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

(My rating is actually a 3.5 for this primer!!)

I got a small tube of this primer and Benefit's brightening primer together for $12 at Ulta to try because I'd heard some good things about it but didn't want to shell out $30 until I knew that it worked for me. I'm really glad I did that. I don't DISLIKE this product per say, but I don't feel that it is worth the money based on the results it gives. I've been using this everyday for the past 5-6 months and I think I can give it a fair review by now. Yes, a tiny tiny tube has lasted me this long and heres why: I only use it on the tops of my cheeks and on/around my nose where I actually have pores! The rest of my skin doesn't have any issues with pores, so I use another primer all over (with this I've used: Smashbox Original PhotoFinish/PhotoFinish Light, Mally Perfect Prep Primer, Rimmel Fix & Perfect Primer, Studio Gear Perfecting Face Primer, Jane Iredale Brightening Primer, Urban Decay Pore Perfecting Primer and many others.. All worked well in conjunction with The Porefessional so I can honestly say that using it with something else that you like wouldn't be a problem, no matter what it is!) and I just focus the (very thick) Porefessional in the spots where I need it.. almost pressing it into those much larger few pores that I have, and then smoothing it out around those small areas on the tops of my cheeks where all the pores are a little larger in general. I do like this method because A.) It conserves product B.) It gives me the benefits (no pun intended haha!) I need, in the places that I need them C.) The product is quite thick and pastey and I don't really want that texture all over my face. This product is a light beigey color and blends into my skin without leaving a different tone so I think this would be okay for any skin color. Even though I expressed concern about the thick texture of this product, I honestly don't think its particularly problematic to the skin in any way.. its just my preference and like I said, I only have pore issues in those singular spots. When you rub it in and it comes into contact when the heat of your skin, it really does blend in and leave a very smooth, almost powdery finish which creates a nice blurring affect/canvas to work on top of. Also, with the finish this gives, I'm very surprised that this doesn't offer any type of oil control.. I think larger pores and oily skin usually go hand in hand so I really think if Benefit reformulated this to control oil AND blur large pores, it would be a much better product.. but alas, oil is NOT controlled and for me, that poses a problem. You see, when you have oil coming through your primer that is supposed to act as a buffer between your skin and your makeup and is supposed to be holding strong smoothing out those unsightly pores, the shine literally eats through that primer and really just voids out all the work you did trying to cover them in the first place. Now, I've never not put a primer underneath my foundation because I'm too chicken to try. Also, because I know that it will look terrible as the day wears on and I have very clog-prone skin and not using a primer is a risk that I am unwilling to take. In case you didn't already know, if you skip a primer and just put your foundation on top of your moisturizer, you are basically asking for clogged pores (i.e. black/whiteheads,pimples) because your moisturizer is designed to penetrate INTO your skin to bring those beneficial ingredients down where they can do their work, instead of just sitting on the surface and doing nothing. If you skip a primer, your foundation basically adheres to your moisturizer and travels down into your pores with it, creating blemishes and other issues. So, moral of the story : "Not to prime is a crime!" You want that primer to act as a buffer between your skin/moisturizer and your makeup! Anywho, "The Porefessional" is a decent primer if you need average pore smoothing and you don't really get issues with oil during the day. My skin is sensitive and more on the dry side, but my Tzone gets incredibly oily during the day at work while I'm doing hair and the oil eating through one of the only places I get really oily and the constant blotting throughout the day, definitely takes a toll on the finish of this product for me. On the positive side, I've never experienced a reaction from this product. So even though it seems thick and gunky in texture, I don't think its comedogenic. Probably because silicone molecules are larger than pore size (supposedly haha) so thats why they are able to sit on the surface of the skin only.
Now, I just bought NYX's "Pore Filler" and I'm using it the same way in my porous areas so I will update this review if I feel that it could be considered a dupe for "The Porefessional," because it claims to do the same thing and its only $12.99 for the full size. I said I would NOT repurchase this item, but thats only because I wouldn't purchase the full size and I'm currently looking for a dupe because I didn't see it as anything truly spectacular. The full size would be entirely too large for me anyway, seeing as I only use a teeny-tiny amount when I apply and it would probably expire before I finished it, and again I'm not sure its worth $30. So, I will keep ya'll posted on how the NYX "Pore Filler" performs in comparison and I will stop rambling for now... Sorry, I like to be in-depth! ;)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/12/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by hillaryelizabeth

It minimized my pores somewhat, but there were a few on my cheeks that still showed through after I applied my foundation.

It didn't help my foundation last longer--it faded after a few hours on my chin and nose.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2013 11:52:00 PM More reviews by acecee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Ladies, this product is good - however it does not control oil! As i am a frequent YouTube beauty guru watcher, i realized almost every single one of them has used this in their videos, which made me wanna buy it to see what the fuss is all about. So its an amazing primer to even the skin tone out and also even the skin level out (it fills in the pores), but DO NOT use this on its own for a primer (if youre oily). Use it along with another primer to keep oil at bay (i prefer beccas mattifying primer)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2013 2:45:00 PM More reviews by bamberson

This is a nice product that does what it says it will. I have large pores on my cheeks and so I use this and my foundation goes smoothly on top. The primer is a bit thick so I like to warm it up between my fingers for a couple of seconds to help it glide on better. Although it is a great product I am still searching for a primer that does the same thing for a cheaper price.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by MissJoceV

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product BUT I do not recommend it to those with acne prone skin. I have recently discovered that it has been breaking me out and have stopped using it. Other than that, it's a great product! Foundation goes on smoothly over it and prevents "smile lines/creasing", and I would say it helps makeup stay on longer!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 6:48:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Not the absolute worst primer but about average and given the price that's not acceptable. Went on smooth but only one of my foundations looked quite right over it. Luckily I got the trial size as a freebie. I'm amazed by the average quality of BeneFit's over-hyped and over-priced products.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2013 5:05:00 AM More reviews by pailbluesea

I accidentally got a full-sized tube from a $5 sample bin. I have v sensitive skin, with large pores and sebaceous filaments and flaky parts and all the things that can derail foundation. This settles beautifully, erases my pores and makes my foundation look amazing, smooth and polished - I can definitely see the difference when I forget to use this in my makeup application. I haven't noticed it breaking me out. HG primer.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by cron

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I thought this was great so I bought another tube but ended up returning that one when I bought another primer in the meantime and realised The Porefessional is actually pretty crap. It makes the skin beautifully smooth and soft to begin with but it seems to vanish in about three hours and my skin then felt as if there was nothing on it, yet more unpleasant than if it was actually bare. I don't normally wear foundation but when I did, this primer sometimes made it hard to apply and I had many tiny wee balls of foundation and primer on my face. Waiting or not waiting for the primer to dry/set made no difference. I struggled with dry skin for a wee bit and this made it look worse as well. No opinion on pores because mine are not very visible at all. I think primers need to be tried because how it worked on other people's skin can have no relation to how it works for you. Small tubes can be bought online or as a part of Benefit's many kits so I recommend to try this to see if it works for you. I won't be repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by drok

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

What kind of primer is this?? It oxidizes all my foundations. It helps foundations to stay longer only a little bit more. A silicone based moisturizer will do a better job than that. Such a waist of money!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2013 7:53:00 AM More reviews by Surfaddict

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This primer does kinda smoothen up the pores and I have large ones. It fills them in and blurs the skin a little. I use it under mineral makeup and it works well, I've also tried it under Guerlain Parure de Lumiere liquid foundation and it looked messy but this foundation is generally messy to me. Under Mat Velvet + it worked great.
Repurchase? Probably not, the effect is nothing miraculous really.